Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell #7 in USA Today Poll

Posted by ebilmes 
Cornell #7 in USA Today Poll
Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 30, 2009 04:54PM

[www.usatoday.com]

Princeton #9 and Yale #11. Harvard #24 and SLU #27

Re: Cornell #7 in USA Today Poll
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 30, 2009 07:35PM

Interesting that every national poll or pre-season ranking has Cornell ahead of Yale and Princeton but both ECAC polls put Yale above us. I suppose the pollsters for the latter two saw last year's ECAC championship game.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: September 30, 2009 07:45PM

Al DeFlorio
Interesting that every national poll or pre-season ranking has Cornell ahead of Yale and Princeton but both ECAC polls put Yale above us. I suppose the pollsters for the latter two saw last year's ECAC championship game.
One might expect the ECAC polls to be more accurate than the national polls. The conference folks probably all saw Cornell play at least once in person last year, maybe several times. They know more about the program and how it stacks up/matches up against the other conference teams. National pollsters mostly are basing their numbers on the NCAA tournament and reputation.

Not that I'd expect very much accuracy from any of the polls.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 01, 2009 02:19AM

Al DeFlorio

Maybe this: The ECAC poll is about doing well in the ECACs, and Cornell seems to be unlucky in Albany. (Turn over a new leaf in Atlantic City?) The national pollsters have seen Harvard's one-and-done spirit spread, like PCBs in groundwater, to New Haven and Princeton. Cornell seems to have better luck in the NCAAs.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (128.153.223.---)
Date: October 01, 2009 08:57AM

billhoward
like PCBs in groundwater, to New Haven and Princeton. Cornell seems to have better luck in the NCAAs.

Man, I thought Clarksonians were the only ones who used analogies that nerdy.

Posted by: redice (---.sub-75-195-35.myvzw.com)
Date: October 01, 2009 11:25AM

Al DeFlorio

I'm thinking that the ECAC polls reflect the fact that Yale had Cornell's number in 08-09. Before the 08 ECAC tourney, I said that Yale was the only team that worried me.... They showed why in the title game. Cornell did not match up well against them. That ECAC Title game was no fluke. Hopefully, that will change this season.

And, the national polls probably reflect which ECAC team went further in the NCAA's.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: October 01, 2009 01:42PM

billhoward
Cornell seems to be unlucky in Albany.
There have been seven ECAC tourneys played in Albany; Cornell has won two of them. I have no complaints about winning the tourney ~30% of the time.

Date: October 01, 2009 04:04PM

Josh '99
billhoward
There have been seven ECAC tourneys played in Albany; Cornell has won two of them. I have no complaints about winning the tourney ~30% of the time.
If it's 7 title rounds played in Albany, Cornell has won 2 of the first 3 and 0 of the past 4. No current Cornell student (who's made it through in four years) has seen a Cornell ECAC championship banner hoisted. That needs to change. I hear some thirdhand buzz that the players feel that if there's a year for Cornell to make a run at taking it all (NCAA not ECAC all), this is it. Last year was nice to have advanced two rounds in the NCAAs, next year too many key players will have moved on.

Posted by: imafrshmn (129.49.7.---)
Date: October 01, 2009 04:20PM

billhoward
Josh '99
billhoward
If it's 7 title rounds played in Albany, Cornell has won 2 of the first 3 and 0 of the past 4. No current Cornell student (who's made it through in four years) has seen a Cornell ECAC championship banner hoisted. That needs to change. I hear some thirdhand buzz that the players feel that if there's a year for Cornell to make a run at taking it all (NCAA not ECAC all), this is it. Last year was nice to have advanced two rounds in the NCAAs, next year too many key players will have moved on.

What does that really mean that they want to "take a run" at it? Will the team work extra hard? As opposed to not working so hard so that they might save their energy for next season? There's something I don't quite understand.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: October 01, 2009 05:26PM

billhoward
Josh '99
billhoward
If it's 7 title rounds played in Albany, Cornell has won 2 of the first 3 and 0 of the past 4. No current Cornell student (who's made it through in four years) has seen a Cornell ECAC championship banner hoisted. That needs to change.
I agree, but that's not what you said the first time.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.ospd.ca.gov)
Date: October 01, 2009 06:21PM

imafrshmn
What does that really mean that they want to "take a run" at it? Will the team work extra hard? As opposed to not working so hard so that they might save their energy for next season? There's something I don't quite understand.
I presume Bill meant that he heard through the grapevine that the players believe they have the talent to be bona fide national title contenders. I doubt they tried any less hard last year than they will this year, but this year those efforts have a better chance of paying off.

For what it's worth, I agree. In my opinion, this is the best Cornell team since the 2002-03 season. That is not to say that there are no question marks. If things go right, this team will be in the Frozen Four. If not, we'll have flashbacks of the 1990-91 season.

Date: October 01, 2009 06:40PM

The players have confidence that they have enough skilled players to be a serious contender at the national level in 2009-2010, provided they work hard and injuries don't take out key players. There are years when the same hard work isn't going to get you very far in the NCAA tournament because hard work isn't as overpowering as hard work and skilled players. (Al Capone: You get more with a kind word and a gun than you do with a kind word alone.)

This site (do not go there if you're a basically warm-hearted person) explains sports quite well: [despair.com]

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: October 01, 2009 07:06PM

Josh '99
billhoward

I'm with Josh. I thought our luck was pretty damn good against Princeton in the semis last March.

Posted by: upperdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 01, 2009 09:02PM

I think the big thing is that they recruited thinking the two big guns might leave and they both stayed.. the key to making runs is not only talent by staying healthy and they have many more bodies this year. at times they could barely practice last year. they go 5-6 players deaper this year. that always helps.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 01, 2009 10:20PM

TimV
Josh '99
billhoward

I'm with Josh. I thought our luck was pretty damn good against Princeton in the semis last March.
I don't even think we've been particularly unlucky. Is there a game that we lost that we should have won? I don't mean games where we lost as the higher seeded team, but games where we were the better team that day but lost due to bad bounces or a cheap penalty. (Maybe 2002; I don't remember the game well enough.) In fact, I think the Harvard icing that set up the 2003 miracle was about the luckiest thing to happen since the tournament moved to Albany.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: October 01, 2009 10:26PM

ugarte
TimV
Josh '99
billhoward

I don't even think we've been particularly unlucky. Is there a game that we lost that we should have won? I don't mean games where we lost as the higher seeded team, but games where we were the better team that day but lost due to bad bounces or a cheap penalty. (Maybe 2002; I don't remember the game well enough.) In fact, I think the Harvard icing that set up the 2003 miracle was about the luckiest thing to happen since the tournament moved to Albany.

2002 was the last tourney in Lake Placid; it's been in Albany from 2003 on.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 01, 2009 11:15PM

Beeeej
ugarte
TimV
Josh '99
billhoward

That's right. Now I remember watching the 2002 game at the Park Avenue CC.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: October 02, 2009 07:17AM

ugarte
Beeeej
ugarte
TimV
Josh '99
billhoward

That's right. Now I remember watching the 2002 game at the Park Avenue CC.

I wish I could forget that game.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 02, 2009 09:40AM

Josh '99

Two out of seven works out to 28.6%. As a comparison, I think most people would consider the Big Red's seven ECAC championships in Boston Garden, where the ECACs were held from 1966 to 1992, a pretty successful run. 7 out of 27 years works out to 25.9%.

billhoward
If it's 7 title rounds played in Albany, Cornell has won 2 of the first 3 and 0 of the past 4. No current Cornell student (who's made it through in four years) has seen a Cornell ECAC championship banner hoisted. That needs to change.

(*** considers mumbling something about having seen Cornell go TEN years without an ECAC championship banner, before deciding against it ***)

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 02, 2009 10:01AM

Give My Regards
Two out of seven works out to 28.6%. As a comparison, I think most people would consider the Big Red's seven ECAC championships in Boston Garden, where the ECACs were held from 1966 to 1992, a pretty successful run. 7 out of 27 years works out to 25.9%.
Different level of competition from 1966 through 1984 with BU, BC, UNH, Providence, and Northeastern in the league.

Date: October 02, 2009 01:19PM

Al DeFlorio
Give My Regards
Different level of competition from 1966 through 1984 with BU, BC, UNH, Providence, and Northeastern in the league.
Those titles were front-end loaded, too. Five in the first eight years, then two in 17 years. Even in losing years, being in Boston at the Garden was a tremendous experience.

Also #7 in INCH
Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 02, 2009 02:26PM

Union is ranked pretty highly (27th)

[www.insidecollegehockey.com]

Re: Also #7 in INCH
Posted by: JasonN95 (---.nyc.deshaw.com)
Date: October 02, 2009 04:19PM

ebilmes

Two spots ahead of Colorado College, who Cornell plays in Florida. Wouldn't have guessed that.

Re: Also #7 in INCH
Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: October 02, 2009 04:42PM

JasonN95
ebilmes

Two spots ahead of Colorado College, who Cornell plays in Florida. Wouldn't have guessed that.
They return about 83% of their forward scoring including their top 4 (Presizniuk, Valery-Trabucco, Walters and Boileau) and 100% of their minutes in goal.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login