Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

UND vs Cornell in Jan.

Posted by LIsiouxfan 
UND vs Cornell in Jan.
Posted by: LIsiouxfan (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 08, 2009 10:20PM

I plan on coming up to see the Fighting Sioux play up at Cornell, any advice on how to get tickets, where to stay, best places for pre-game activities and post game would be appreciated. Thanks for any advice, good luck to you all on your season.

Re: UND vs Cornell in Jan.
Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.itt.com)
Date: September 09, 2009 09:08AM

This is pretty accurate, if old:
[www.chtg.net]

It's pretty right on hotels, attractions (though there's more too), & tickets (I'll re-emphasize looking on this forum for tickets). Also, you should be able to call the ticket office and see if they have single-game tickets left once the season ticket sales are over. It sells very well, but it's not sold out well in advance all the time like it used to be.

The one area I wouldn't agree with on that site is restaurants. It mostly mentions bars & doesn't do Ithaca justice. Instead I'd suggest starting here:
[dining.14850.com]
And the rest of 14850.com is very good too (thanks Mark!)

Posted by: Robb (---.bnc.ox.ac.uk)
Date: September 09, 2009 09:29AM

Step 1: Drive to Canton, NY.
Step 2: Pizza Hut.

That's really all you need to know. ;)

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: September 09, 2009 06:38PM

Visiting teams get a ticket allotment, so you might want to call UND and find out how they will be distributing theirs.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: September 09, 2009 06:55PM

DeltaOne81
The one area I wouldn't agree with on that site is restaurants. It mostly mentions bars & doesn't do Ithaca justice.
You got somethin' against bars? pissed :-P

Posted by: Dpperk29 (128.153.223.---)
Date: September 09, 2009 07:00PM

Robb
Step 1: Drive to Canton, NY.
Step 2: Pizza Hut.

That's really all you need to know. ;)

The same guy must own the pizza huts in Canton and Hamilton.

Posted by: LIsiouxfan (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 09, 2009 10:49PM

I usually get tickets through UND but the people I knew have since left, so we'll see about this year. I was more looking at where to get some drinks/food before the game, for someone who graduated college a year ago.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 10, 2009 08:43AM

If you want food and drinks that are close to the game, Ruloff's in collegetown is a good bet. Its a typical bar & grill place so you have your burgers etc. A lot of people also like the nines further down college ave which has deep dish pizza, but typically very slow service so keep that in mind if you go there. For hotels it all depends how much you want to spend, but the best western on east hill plaza is a reasonably priced decent hotel that is very close to campus. After the game, hockey fans tend to go to Dunbar's for drinks.

Date: September 10, 2009 06:42PM

Jacob '06
After the game, hockey fans tend to go to Dunbar's for drinks.
You know, I don't know that I've ever seen fans of other teams at Dunbar's. The folks in GF were generally friendly to us after the games there last season, so hopefully folks in Ithaca will do the same.

Posted by: releck97 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 10, 2009 09:55PM

If you have wheels, the Ithaca Ale House is a good location both before and after the game. They have an excellent beer list, full bar and good food. Oftentimes, I see fans of opposing teams dining at Kilpatrick's which is located in the Hilton Garden Inn. Again, you pretty much need a car for this spot as well.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: September 10, 2009 10:22PM

Josh '99
Jacob '06
After the game, hockey fans tend to go to Dunbar's for drinks.
You know, I don't know that I've ever seen fans of other teams at Dunbar's. The folks in GF were generally friendly to us after the games there last season, so hopefully folks in Ithaca will do the same.

The crowd at the Chapter House tends to be somewhat older, and therefore might also be more mature about welcoming visiting fans.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: imafrshmn (130.245.221.---)
Date: September 10, 2009 10:34PM

If you want to be within walking distance of Lynah rink without paying a crapload for the Statler Hotel, the best you can do is stay at the Hillside Inn. It's near Collegetown, so you can easily get back on foot if you decide to partake in the nightlife.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: September 10, 2009 11:47PM

imafrshmn
If you want to be within walking distance of Lynah rink without paying a crapload for the Statler Hotel, the best you can do is stay at the Hillside Inn. It's near Collegetown, so you can easily get back on foot if you decide to partake in the nightlife.

Plus, FLA!

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: dietlbomb (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 11, 2009 12:44AM

jtwcornell91
imafrshmn

Plus, FLA!

Does anyone even know what FLA is?

Posted by: dietlbomb (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 11, 2009 12:50AM

Well, Dunbar's is the hockey team's bar. So, after the Saturday game, the players will be there. If Cornell wins, you can be a friend there; if the Sioux win, there could be a bit of friction. If you play it low key, though, I doubt there could be any trouble.

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.194.---)
Date: September 11, 2009 08:36AM

dietlbomb
jtwcornell91
imafrshmn

Plus, FLA!

Probably some European soccer channel. Or, hopefully, free laundry available.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.itt.com)
Date: September 11, 2009 09:01AM

I forgot about the visiting team allotment, good call. LIsiouxfan, would the UND ticket office not mail you tickets? Do you really need to know someone on campus?

dietlbomb
Well, Dunbar's is the hockey team's bar. So, after the Saturday game, the players will be there. If Cornell wins, you can be a friend there; if the Sioux win, there could be a bit of friction. If you play it low key, though, I doubt there could be any trouble.

Seriously? Has our national bad attitude spilled into Dunbars? WTF?!? What happened to 'leave it in the rink'? When the game's over, we're all college hockey fans. Sure, if someone comes in acting like a asshat, there might be some friction, but assuming they're behaving like a halfway decent human being, they should be gladly welcomed.

imafrshmn

If you're a college student or not that far off in years, the Hillside Inn is considered walkable (though not an easy walk). If you're in your 60s or even in your 30s or 40s with a bad knee or something, it's not walkable. It's 2/3rds of a mile uphill, much of which is at a significant grade. Be forewarned.

Also, unless things have changed drastically in the last 5 years, the phrase "the best you can do is stay at the Hillside Inn" is very scary <shudder>. Rather I'd say there's at least one B&B in Collegetown on College Ave, if you're so inclined.

Josh'99
You got somethin' against bars? pissed :-P

After the game? No. Before the game? Yes. At least the ones that don't also serve some good food, but since the Chariot closed, perhaps Rulloffs & the Nines are the only possibly acceptable bar food. But going to Ithaca just once and only eating at a bar is like going to NYC and only eating street hotdogs. Just a Taste, Thai Cuisine, Ithaca Bakery, Boatyard, Maxie's, Taste of Thai... in CTown there's Sangam, Aladdin's, CTB. All are excellent.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 11, 2009 09:24AM

dietlbomb
jtwcornell91
imafrshmn

Plus, FLA!

Yes, but if I told you then I'd have to kill you.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 11, 2009 07:32PM

DeltaOne81
imafrshmn

If you're a college student or not that far off in years, the Hillside Inn is considered walkable (though not an easy walk). If you're in your 60s or even in your 30s or 40s with a bad knee or something, it's not walkable. It's 2/3rds of a mile uphill, much of which is at a significant grade.
Hey, watch that. There are some of us old farts who can still walk, and some who even run hills. Seriously, it is a long walk, but certainly doable.

Posted by: tretiak (---.resnet.ucsb.edu)
Date: September 11, 2009 11:00PM

But going to Ithaca just once and only eating at a bar is like going to NYC and only eating street hotdogs.

Take it easy, Delta. Why don't you sit this next one out, stop talking for a while.

Despite DeltaOne's hyperbole, there are some good places to eat in Ithaca but it's not like it's a culinary mecca. If you're going to CTown, Rulloff's is the best place to go. If you're going downtown, the Thai places and Maxie's are a little more expensive then Rulloff's but good. There are fancier places in Ithaca, but it's not worth it unless you're celebrating something.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 11, 2009 11:48PM

What would a Russian goaltender know? ;)

Ithaca may not quite be a culinary 'mecca', but it is one of the most widely diverse culinary places you can find outside of major cities. And it has a variety of *excellent* dining options. As merely one of them, you aware that Thai Cuisine won best Thai in New York State, *including* NYC.

There are gems in Ithaca, if you never got out of CTown though, you may not know it. One of my favorite things about returning to Ithaca is the opportunity to visit some restaurants that I've yet to find matches for in other places I've lived.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2009 11:52PM by DeltaOne81.

Posted by: tretiak (---.resnet.ucsb.edu)
Date: September 12, 2009 01:00AM

What would a Russian goaltender know?

Pierogies. Lots and lots of pierogies. And borscht. Bland food...mmmmm :-D

And thank you for taking my snark in stride. To be fair, I did say the Thai places and Maxie's were good. I enjoyed eating there, and didn't know it was so highly rated. I just think that other downtown Ithaca restaurants (Boatyard, Joe's, John Thomas, etc) are overrated. Everytime I ate at one of the "traditional" places I felt like I was being taken advantage of, but at least I knew that before hand...what, too soon?

Posted by: Robb (---.bnc.ox.ac.uk)
Date: September 12, 2009 05:19AM

Jim Hyla
Hey, watch that. There are some of us old farts who can still walk, and some who even run hills. Seriously, it is a long walk, but certainly doable.
Heh. My father (hockey content: he's a season ticket holder) just finished 365 days in a row of 10,000 steps per day and is about to run his 14th(?) USMC Marathon this fall. I'd bet he can out-walk most undergrads. And my mom beats him in the marathons... :)

Posted by: CKinsland (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 12, 2009 08:03AM

Jim Hyla
DeltaOne81
imafrshmn

If you're a college student or not that far off in years, the Hillside Inn is considered walkable (though not an easy walk). If you're in your 60s or even in your 30s or 40s with a bad knee or something, it's not walkable. It's 2/3rds of a mile uphill, much of which is at a significant grade.

Jeez. The Hillside Inn is already partway up the hill. My 59 year old mother and her 62 year old neighbor walk up the hill to Cornell from Falls St (all the way at the bottom of the hill) every day for work.

I walk up the hill from Gimme Coffee on Cayuga St for hockey games (I'm 37). It's not a really big deal.

The Best Western at East Hill Plaza is just about 1.5 miles away on a reasonably flat route. That's just under a 30 minute walk for most people, I guess. The way traffic flows after a game, you'd probably get back faster walking than driving. (Of course, this would make it difficult to go downtown or to Collegetown for post-game festivities).

Just walk people, walk. Save the environment, improve your health, glory in the beauty of the outdoors.

(Yeah, I'm a little fanatic about it...but I'm not as bad as my mom.)

CK

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 12, 2009 10:23AM

tretiak
And thank you for taking my snark in stride. To be fair, I did say the Thai places and Maxie's were good. I enjoyed eating there, and didn't know it was so highly rated. I just think that other downtown Ithaca restaurants (Boatyard, Joe's, John Thomas, etc) are overrated. Everytime I ate at one of the "traditional" places I felt like I was being taken advantage of, but at least I knew that before hand...what, too soon?

I was slightly annoyed, but I gave you the benefit of the doubt ;).

I happen to think Boatyard is very good, but I haven't been there in years, so I can't comment recently. It's not on the top of my 'revisit' list, and it seems to always be the top one I don't get too.

But I agree with you on Joe's (fine, but nothing special - but I haven't been to since it closed & reopened) & John Thomas (overpriced, and I'm not a huge fan of steak anyway, but again, I haven't been there in a long time). Last I knew, Taughannock was similarly priced, except that price gets you 4 courses, not one piece of meat with sides extra.

Not everything's a gem, not by far, but there are a good handful that are.

Anyway, my only real point was, if spending 2 or 3 days in Ithaca, you're missing out if you limit yourself to food at bars, not that the best might not worth a meal or two as well.

P.S. On the walking thing, you've all made your points that most people on Social Security are in better shape than me :-P. Even in college the haul from West to Lynah - which I did many many times - but was good haul. You're right though, I overstated it... it's walkable, but it's not an leisurely stroll, it's a good bit of exercise.

And there's one thing you're missing... this will be early January. It's likely to be freezing and icy or snowy. Not a lovely early September day.

Date: September 12, 2009 11:17AM

DeltaOne81
And there's one thing you're missing... this will be early January. It's likely to be freezing and icy or snowy. Not a lovely early September day.

Freezing? Icy? Snowy? Where is the problem?

The guy said he went to NORTH DAKOTA. All of North Dakota is north of the most northern point in New York, I think he has seen weather worse than Ithaca.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2009 11:17AM by Dpperk29.

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 12, 2009 02:49PM

CalgAri and I were in Grand Forks last November. After the Friday game, we discovered East Grand Forks which is across the river in Minnesota (go figure)! Collegetown is a bit like East Grand Forks except the restaurants are better in Collegetown. The beer and the bars are similar. In all:
- Ithaca is far more cosmopolitan than GF.
- There are many ethnic restaurants in Collegetown and all over Ithaca that we certainly couldn't locate in GF.
- Ithaca has hills. Quote from a local in GF. "Grand Forks is so flat, you can watch your dog run away from three days!"
- In flying into GF, the only large visible structures are the hockey rink and the railyard!

I think you'll like Ithaca and Cornell. Lynah is VERY different from Engelstad. It's smaller and louder. The fans are closer to the action.

Larry '72
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2009 02:50PM by Larry72.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: September 12, 2009 03:20PM

Larry72
- Ithaca has hills. Quote from a local in GF. "Grand Forks is so flat, you can watch your dog run away from three days!"
This fact might make the walk from the Hillside Inn to Lynah a little significant for our visitors.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 12, 2009 04:06PM

Larry72

I think you'll like Ithaca and Cornell. Lynah is VERY different from Engelstad. It's smaller and louder. The fans are closer to the action.

Larry '72

And we have a band and don't play Phil Collins music while our team skates out. Still one of the weirdest things I've ever experienced.

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 12, 2009 04:45PM

That part of the experience was quite surreal. As were the marble floors, skating cheerleaders and the rivalry with UMinn, even though GF is right on the border with Mn.

Date: September 13, 2009 12:12PM

Larry72
That part of the experience was quite surreal. As were the marble floors, skating cheerleaders and the rivalry with UMinn, even though GF is right on the border with Mn.
Yes, but aren't a lot, if not most, rivalries with your next door neighbor? UM-OSU, Ok-Tx, UNC-Duke, etc. ?

Date: September 13, 2009 05:50PM

Jim Hyla
Larry72
Yes, but aren't a lot, if not most, rivalries with your next door neighbor? UM-OSU, Ok-Tx, UNC-Duke, etc. ?

Why just limit it to sports? Germany-France, India-Pakistan?

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: September 14, 2009 08:03AM

Dpperk29
Jim Hyla
Larry72

The Germans don't consider that a rivalry. Hell, the French aren't even competitive whistle.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: September 14, 2009 04:53PM

Jim Hyla
Larry72
I think his point is that people so close to the Minnesota border might be Gopher fans, like South Jersey residents rooting for the Eagles instead of the Giants, but I think he's got it wrong in this case. Because the ND team is the one on the Minnesota border, everyone on the ND side (and possibly the Minnesotans near Grand Forks) is going to hate UM and a rivalry is born.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: September 14, 2009 05:10PM

ugarte
Jim Hyla
Larry72
I think his point is that people so close to the Minnesota border might be Gopher fans, like South Jersey residents rooting for the Eagles instead of the Giants...
But then again, at least by name, no one in New Jersey has a home team in that sport.

Posted by: releck97 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 14, 2009 08:27PM

Sept. 9th...the last time the OP commented in this thread, yet we go on and on. Anyone know why? Are we really that pathetic? Are we just dying to talk about anything related to CU Hockey?...or, what???

Date: September 14, 2009 09:15PM

releck97
Sept. 9th...the last time the OP commented in this thread, yet we go on and on. Anyone know why? Are we really that pathetic? Are we just dying to talk about anything related to CU Hockey?...or, what???
Wow, are you new here? What kind of a comment/ question is this?:-}

Date: September 15, 2009 12:15PM

Dpperk29
DeltaOne81

Freezing? Icy? Snowy? Where is the problem?

The guy said he went to NORTH DAKOTA. All of North Dakota is north of the most northern point in New York, I think he has seen weather worse than Ithaca.
While this is true, North Dakota is incredibly flat. I'm sure they know how to drive in snow, but do they know how to walk up icy hills? Not necessarily. :-D

Date: September 15, 2009 12:19PM

Dpperk29
Jim Hyla
Larry72

Liechtenstein-Andorra?

Date: September 15, 2009 12:22PM

Jim Hyla
ugarte
Jim Hyla
Larry72
I think his point is that people so close to the Minnesota border might be Gopher fans, like South Jersey residents rooting for the Eagles instead of the Giants...
But then again, at least by name, no one in New Jersey has a home team in that sport.
OK, but the same holds true if you substitute "Flyers" for "Eagles" and "Devils" for "Giants".

Date: September 15, 2009 12:24PM

CKinsland
Just walk people, walk. Save the environment, improve your health, glory in the beauty of the outdoors.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: September 15, 2009 12:58PM

Josh '99
Jim Hyla
ugarte
Jim Hyla
Larry72
OK, but the same holds true if you substitute "Flyers" for "Eagles" and "Devils" for "Giants".
Just because the team claims to represent an entire state doesn't make it so.

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: September 15, 2009 04:40PM

What Phil Collins tune do they play?

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 15, 2009 05:21PM

TimV

In the air tonight, and they don't even come out on the ice at the drum solo. It actually got me anti-pumped up about the game.

Date: September 15, 2009 05:58PM

Jacob '06
TimV

In the air tonight, and they don't even come out on the ice at the drum solo. It actually got me anti-pumped up about the game.
Yeah, it was kind of mellowing more than anything else.

Date: September 15, 2009 06:20PM

KeithK
Josh '99
Jim Hyla
ugarte
Jim Hyla
Larry72
That was OUR point!

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: September 15, 2009 06:36PM

ugarte
KeithK
Josh '99
Jim Hyla
ugarte
Jim Hyla
Larry72
That was OUR point!
Yeah, I know.

Date: September 15, 2009 06:54PM

KeithK
ugarte
KeithK
Josh '99
Jim Hyla
ugarte
Jim Hyla
Larry72
That was OUR point!
Yeah, I know.
It's a good thing I like a lot of nested replies.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: September 16, 2009 08:32AM

ugarte
KeithK
ugarte
KeithK
Josh '99
Jim Hyla
ugarte
Jim Hyla
Larry72
That was OUR point!
Yeah, I know.
It's a good thing I like a lot of nested replies.
Especially with a lot of one-liners. It looks so nice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login