Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Red-White Scrimmage - Saturday, 10/17 @ 7pm

Posted by ebilmes 
Red-White Scrimmage - Saturday, 10/17 @ 7pm
Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 01, 2009 01:17AM

I thought I'd post this since I think a few people have asked whether the game would take place this year. It's not showing up on the official schedule, but both the CHA newsletter and Big Red Puckhead are listing the Red-White Game for Saturday, October 17. This is the same day as Homecoming, so maybe some hockey alumni will want to catch the game while they're in town.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2009 12:45PM by ebilmes.

Re: Red-White Scrimmage
Posted by: BMac (96.53.163.---)
Date: September 02, 2009 11:04PM

YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!!

Posted by: shand35 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 29, 2009 05:42PM

Yes, but, has there been any official announcement that the Red-White game will, in fact, take place?

Posted by: redice (---.sub-75-223-103.myvzw.com)
Date: September 29, 2009 06:28PM

It appears on the schedule that was included in the CHA's Sept 09 Faceoff newsletter. I don't know if that's official. But, it was cause for me to mark Oct 17th on my schedule.

Date: October 06, 2009 11:57PM

For those of you who are still disbelievers, it was in today's IJ:

Cornell men's hockey Red/White game will be played at 7 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 17 at Lynah Rink.

This provides an opportunity to get the first look at this year's team and youth skate between periods.

All youth wearing an Ithaca Youth hockey jersey or Sports camp T-shirt get in free. All youth 14 and under freeadmission.Admission is $3 for adults and $2 students 15 and over at the door.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 07, 2009 07:32AM

Sports information department is overworked, yada yada ... but still, it's unfortunate that if there's an event the Cornell community would like to know about, that it's not publicized on Cornell's sports site.

Posted by: mhand06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 07, 2009 09:10PM

Are you sure that it's happening then? Did someone ask coach or one of the palyers?

Posted by: REDhead (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 10, 2009 12:34PM

The Red/White scrimmage is absolutely positively definitely happening at 7 p.m. Saturday October 17. Free youth tickets are being distributed through the schools; but any youth wearing IYHA or TGHA jerseys, or Sports camp tshirts will be admitted free. Actually any kid 14 and under who shows up at the door will get in free.
Students 15 and over cost $2 and adults $3 at the door.
We'll get the game listed on the CU Athletic calendar and the events calendar. Thanks to Bill for pointing that out!

Re: Red-White Scrimmage - Saturday, 10/17 @ 7pm
Posted by: REDhead (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 16, 2009 10:09AM

Some great raffle prizes available at the Red/White scrimmage--including bus trip, motel & game tickets for 2 to the MSG game; game-worn jersey, Ts, and team photo signed by the team; Big Red caps, shirts & hoodies; game & bus tickets to the away game at Colgate.

Plan on getting your first look at this year's Big Red in action!Students $2, Adults $3, all kids 14 & younger free at the door.

Posted by: mnagowski (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 16, 2009 07:39PM

This hockey season cannot come fast enough. It snowed in the foothills 15 miles south of Buffalo tonight!

Re: Game 10/16
Posted by: Oat (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 17, 2009 02:43AM

BU lost to Massachusetts!!

Posted by: profudge (74.39.167.---)
Date: October 17, 2009 12:45PM

I live about 25 miles south of Cornell and we had 2 inches of snow Thursday night Friday AM here; with flurries an possible snow late today into Sunday here. Thursday set an Ithaca area record for earliest snowfall of an 1" or more.

Posted by: redice (---.sub-75-237-144.myvzw.com)
Date: October 17, 2009 03:45PM

Ahhhhhh, it's hockey season with snow!! Music to my ears!!

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: October 17, 2009 06:02PM

profudge
I live about 25 miles south of Cornell and we had 2 inches of snow Thursday night Friday AM here; with flurries an possible snow late today into Sunday here. Thursday set an Ithaca area record for earliest snowfall of an 1" or more.
I blame global warming.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: October 17, 2009 08:56PM

KeithK
profudge
I blame global warming.
Surf's up!

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 18, 2009 09:57AM

Uh, was anyone there who would care to comment?

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 18, 2009 10:12AM

FWIW, Red defeated White 4-1. The scrimmage was broken into 5x5, 4x4, and PP sessions. A group of Ithaca Youth players were there and played for a few minutes every 5 or 6 minutes (didn't really check the clock).

Scoring:

Red: Miller from Jillson and B. Nash during 4x4 (Scrivens in goal)
Nice finish to some pretty passing.

White: Axell from Roeszler and D'Agostino during 5x5 (Kanji)
Good blue collar goal around the crease.

Red: Greening from Gallagher and R. Nash PP (Kanji)
Greening in the slot.

Red: Moulson from Mihalek and R. Nash during 4x4 (Kanji)
Maybe my favorite goal of the night: Flying down the wing ahead of the pack and lets it rip from inside the blue line.

Red: Ross unassisted ENG during 6x5
I would have made him do it again...off his own half boards right into the heart of the goal. Must be one heck of a pool player.

Scrivens and Garman made some very nice saves. Despite the results, Kanji did fine for a young goalie.

Everyone played except Jarred Seymour. Sounds like he's dinged up and will be out for a bit.

Would have liked to see the night finish with penalty shots, but it was a long night. I loved seeing the Ithaca Youth players worked into the scrimmage, right down to the stick salute. Good work by the bands as well.

Cornell's biggest recruiting need might be an Olympia driver. I'll miss Dave's show, but at least find someone who can cover the ice and not require extra passes. drive Of course, it was a scrimmage for everyone. :)

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 18, 2009 06:33PM

It was the first time in recent memory that I thought the freshman stole the show. As a group:
- They are big! Branden Birch is the biggest at 6-4/205 with John Esposito the smallest at 5-10/170.
- They are fast!
- They scored three out of five goals on the night! I agree that Moulson's goal was probably the prettiest of the night.

At this time, the team appears to have a lot of depth. It's possible that most of the freshman could be in the lineup early on.

Posted by: fatchance72 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 18, 2009 07:24PM

Birch and D’Agostino played well. They’re both pretty quick for big guys. Based on one scrimmage, they seem very comfortable with the puck and were able to break out of the defensive zone easily.

In my mind, I kept comparing them to someone like Berk or freshmen M. Devin or Taylor Davenport. Berk and Devin and Davenport were very robotic and unsure with the puck, and it seemed that the lack of puck handling defensemen in general was leading to some problems on the breakout. Anyway, BB and (especially) D’Agostino were NOT like that. Encouraging sign.

And I loved the little kids. Freakin hilarious.

Posted by: releck97 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 18, 2009 10:16PM

BTW, someone asked awhile back about Joe Devin. He played last night and looked good. I can't wait to see our first two lines get their timing down this year. They have the potential to be scary good!

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.194.---)
Date: October 19, 2009 11:10AM

It'll be interesting to see what kind of lines are rolled this weekend.

Greening, Nash, Gallagher, Jillson, Miller, and Esposito were on the Red team and Greening and Nash were on different lines: Nash centered Jillson and Miller; Gallagher centered Greening and Esposito. The Nash line had pretty good chemistry (for a scrimmage) and Miller looked like he has a nose for the goal. For the White, Collins played center which was interesting. Not that any of that means anything...

I'm curious whether we'll see:
Collins - Nash - Kennedy
Greening - Gallagher - Jillson
Nicholls/Kary - Scali - Devin (Moulson)
Miller (Axell) - Roeszler - Esposito (Mihalek)

Or:
Miller - Nash - Jillson
Greening - Collins - Gallagher
Kennedy (Axell) - Roeszler - Esposito (Mihalek)

Would also like to see Esposito gets some runs at center.

What kind of line combos do people think we'll see?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: October 19, 2009 01:50PM

What is the LW, C, RW breakdown (as near as people can tell)?

Posted by: redhair34 (64.206.92.---)
Date: October 19, 2009 01:55PM

ithacat
It'll be interesting to see what kind of lines are rolled this weekend.

Greening, Nash, Gallagher, Jillson, Miller, and Esposito were on the Red team and Greening and Nash were on different lines: Nash centered Jillson and Miller; Gallagher centered Greening and Esposito. The Nash line had pretty good chemistry (for a scrimmage) and Miller looked like he has a nose for the goal. For the White, Collins played center which was interesting. Not that any of that means anything...

I'm curious whether we'll see:
Collins - Nash - Kennedy
Greening - Gallagher - Jillson
Miller (Axell) - Roeszler - Esposito (Mihalek)

Or:
Miller - Nash - Jillson
Greening - Collins - Gallagher
Kennedy (Axell) - Roeszler - Esposito (Mihalek)

Would also like to see Esposito gets some runs at center.

What kind of line combos do people think we'll see?

Yikes. I forgot how little depth we have down the middle.

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.194.---)
Date: October 19, 2009 03:56PM

Trotsky
What is the LW, C, RW breakdown (as near as people can tell)?

Most of the forwards play multiple positions. I think the only exceptions last year were Greening (LW), Nash (C), Jillson (RW), Scali (LW), Nicholls (RW), and Devin (RW). The three scoring lines appear to have many possibile combinations.

A checking line is where it becomes most curious to me. Based on the last 2 years, Scali would be on the left and Nicholls would be on the right. Could Kary or Moulson center such a line?

Date: October 19, 2009 06:03PM

It looks like Schafer wants Whitney to be on the first PP unit with the Nashes and Greening. I think Gallagher was also out there with them most of the time.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 19, 2009 09:46PM

ebilmes
It looks like Schafer wants Whitney to be on the first PP unit with the Nashes and Greening. I think Gallagher was also out there with them most of the time.

So, I wonder if this means that Whitney might supplant M. Devin on the PP? Devin has a nice shot, but it has been erratic. From what I saw of Whitney, he's got nice skills and seems well suited to play the point.

Posted by: fatchance72 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 20, 2009 01:58PM

During the second half of last year, Schafer used 4 forwards and 1 defenseman on the 1st PP line. It was Gallagher, RNash, Greening, Barlow/MKennedy and BNash.

Is there any reason to think he won't use just 1 dman on the 1st PP line?

Assuming he does, I think the most likely line will be Gallagher, RNash, Greening, BNash and Jillson/JDevin/PKennedy.

I don't think Whitney has a chance to be on the 1st PP line. He only played 14 games last year and, if memory serves me correctly, was very rarely (if ever) on the ice on the PP.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: October 20, 2009 03:14PM

fatchance72
During the second half of last year, Schafer used 4 forwards and 1 defenseman on the 1st PP line. It was Gallagher, RNash, Greening, Barlow/MKennedy and BNash.

Is there any reason to think he won't use just 1 dman on the 1st PP line?

Assuming he does, I think the most likely line will be Gallagher, RNash, Greening, BNash and Jillson/JDevin/PKennedy.

I don't think Whitney has a chance to be on the 1st PP line. He only played 14 games last year and, if memory serves me correctly, was very rarely (if ever) on the ice on the PP.
As far as I can figure, Schafer only uses a power play unit with only one defenseman if he trusts the forward playing the point to be somewhat defensively responsible and not give up shorthanded rushes. (Schafer's teams tend not to score or give up large numbers of shorthanded goals. For example, the 2002-03 team conceded only two, and didn't score any despite having the best PK in the NCAA by percentage. The 2004-05 team, which scored 9 SHG, led by 4 from Mike Iggulden and 2 each from Mitch Carefoot and Mike Knoepfli, is really the only notable exception.) So, I think it'd at least have to depend whether he thinks he can trust Jillson or Kennedy or whichever other forward might be considered for that role to make safe plays, rather than aggressive/fancy ones, when handling the puck at the blue line.

I know that doesn't definitively answer your question, but I think maybe it captures at least a part of Schafer's decisionmaking process in this regard.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 20, 2009 05:55PM

Josh '99
As far as I can figure, Schafer only uses a power play unit with only one defenseman if he trusts the forward playing the point to be somewhat defensively responsible

This is known as the Ryan Hughes Dictum.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2009 05:55PM by Trotsky.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login