Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Alumni in the Pros - May 2009

Posted by redGrinch 
Alumni in the Pros - May 2009
Posted by: redGrinch (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 06, 2009 03:39AM

Sasha Pokulok's been activated again and is playing for South Carolina in the ECHL playoffs. It'll be interesting to see what the Caps do w/ him in the offseason; he's a restricted free agent.... I'm not sure if they'd tender the standard current+10% offer; the driving factor is not so much the money, but the depth they've got at D both at the NHL-level and at Hershey, and they're also up against the 50 contract limit. It's sounding like John Carlson has jumped ahead of Sasha on the Caps depth chart now also. If Sasha's going to make it, he's got to play well in Hershey all next season.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2009 08:14AM by Beeeej.

Re: Alumni in the Pros - May 2009
Posted by: oceanst41 (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: May 08, 2009 07:23PM

Shawn Thornton is a late scratch, and Bitz will be in the line up against the Canes tonight.

Date: May 08, 2009 10:19PM

Well the good news was that Bitz played well enough to be promoted to the 3rd line for the final period, the bad news for Bruins fans was that Wheeler and the rest of the line up played like pain, so much so that Bitz needed to be promoted to shake things up.

Date: May 10, 2009 07:42PM

Bitz back in the lineup for game 5, replacing Blake Wheeler. Wheeler is an unhealthy, healthy scratch I believe. He did take a shot off his foot in game 3, but has played so poorly that I don't think it was a tough decision to give Bitz the nod.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 10, 2009 07:49PM

Bitz just had a great defensive shift with 2 blocked shots.

Date: May 10, 2009 08:44PM

He's had a great game so far. He has put some life into Ryder and Krejci (who are buzzing around Carolina's zone tonight), and is doing all the dirty work necessary to get them open and put a body in front of Ward. Now Carolina has another line to defend besides the Savard-Kessel-Lucic line.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: May 11, 2009 08:03AM

Also heard a Cornell mention during the game.

He did have a solid game and got more ice time in the third period (or at least got mentioned more).

Posted by: ftyuv (---.techtarget.com)
Date: May 12, 2009 03:10PM

Bitz is expected to play again tonight, on the second line.

Date: May 12, 2009 07:21PM

And on what I count as his second shift, guess who parks in front of Cam Ward to screen him on Montador's goal. Bitz rock

Posted by: sah67 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 12, 2009 07:52PM

Some first period comments from the Bruins thread on HFBoards:

"Wow, Bitz has been awesome in this one so far. He deserves a goal."

"I really hope Wheeler is watching Bitz closely and taking notes on how to use his size to his advantage."

"anyone else glad when Bitz is out there? smart player, and will win many more battles than he loses- what a good player to have on this team."

Posted by: cbuckser (---.ospd.ca.gov)
Date: May 12, 2009 08:17PM

Pierre McGuire, who is doing color commentary for TSN tonight, just gushed about Byron Bitz.

Date: May 12, 2009 08:36PM

And Bitz draws a penalty in the final minute of the second with more great work along the boards.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.c3-0.nwt-ubr2.sbo-nwt.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: May 12, 2009 08:39PM

No doubt about it -- he's playing amazingly. So far (at the 2nd intermission) he looks like he deserves a star.

Date: May 12, 2009 08:46PM

ftyuv
No doubt about it -- he's playing amazingly. So far (at the 2nd intermission) he looks like he deserves a star.

He's been great the last two games on that line. He's doing all the dirty work necessary to get Ryder and Krejci open.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: May 12, 2009 10:24PM

Bitz' TOI keeps going up. Ironic that despite doing "thankless work," he's getting a lot of love on the broadcast.

Date: May 13, 2009 10:36AM

Boston.com gives Bitz the stick salute of the game: [www.boston.com]

Date: May 14, 2009 12:17PM

Claude Julien has announced that the Bruins will have the same line up for game 7. Heckuva a job by Bitz to earn his way into the line up this late in the season. rock

Date: May 14, 2009 12:31PM

Given what Bitz brings to the game in terms of emotion and grit, Julien would have to be a fool not to keep him in. The guy fit back in the lineup as if he'd never been out at all.

Posted by: jkahn (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: May 14, 2009 08:22PM

Bitz scores. Bruins lead 1-0, 7:42 into first period.

Date: May 14, 2009 08:31PM

BITZ!

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 14, 2009 08:55PM

1-1 after one

Date: May 14, 2009 11:50PM

No more Ivy Leaguers in the playoffs.

Sad news bears.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.dsl.scrm01.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 15, 2009 12:30AM

Craig Adams of the Penguins went to Harvard.

Also, the Hurricanes are owned by Peter Karmanos, father of Adams's college teammate. That organization has Harvard Men (asst. GM Jason Karmanos & color commentator Tripp Tracy).

Date: May 15, 2009 01:56AM

Bitz was just great. Congrats to him for his first playoff goal.

In other news, I hate Colin Campbell with a passion.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 15, 2009 10:30AM

cbuckser

Also, the Hurricanes are owned by Peter Karmanos, father of Adams's college teammate. That organization has Harvard Men (asst. GM Jason Karmanos & color commentator Tripp Tracy).

Man... you always wonder where a sieve like that ends up.

Mostly due to the Karmanoses: Go Pens. Eliminate the Suckicanes.

(And go 'Hawks!)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2009 10:32AM by Scersk '97.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: May 15, 2009 10:51AM

cbuckser

Hahvahd Sucks!! And I hate the Whor-i-canes, Carpetbaggers and Karmanos.

I really hope there isn't another Detroit v. Whor-i-cane (I think thanks are due to RichH for this term of hatred) finals; those are two shades of red I really do not like.

I am now in a land without Versus, so I haven't seen much hockey in the last 10 days. I should be in a hockey viewing area for the finals.

Date: May 15, 2009 11:57AM

Sorry, to all you 'Canes haters. I'm rooting for Carolina in the east. I can't stand Sidney the Whiner.

Although at this point I really want to see Chicago win it all.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.120.207.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: May 15, 2009 02:56PM

All my horses are out of the race (Vancouver, Washington, and Boston for Bitz), so I don't really care anymore. I guess I'm rooting for Detroit because they weren't responsible for eliminating those teams this year. whistle

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: May 15, 2009 03:22PM

Scersk '97
cbuckser

Man... you always wonder where a sieve like that ends up.

Mostly due to the Karmanoses: Go Pens. Eliminate the Suckicanes.

(And go 'Hawks!)

Indeed. It would please me greatly (and draw me in to the Finals like no other in the last 5 years) if the Finals were to be Hawks-Pens. That very matchup was the first Stanley Cup series I ever tuned in live for. And that was pulling in whatever scratchy AM broadcast I could using my sad boombox in my room. Since, you know...there were no national TV broadcasts in the US back then.

Oh, and of course, it was also the matchup in this very important touchstone in pop-culture. Unfortunately, "Ice to meet you" was not a quote in that film.

Go 'Hawks!!

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: May 15, 2009 03:36PM

It would have been nice to have Bitz go on.

Go Black Hawks. May the Portland Rosbeuds of yesteryear win the Cup.

Posted by: Josh '99 (216.189.145.---)
Date: May 15, 2009 04:08PM

RichH
Indeed. It would please me greatly (and draw me in to the Finals like no other in the last 5 years) if the Finals were to be Hawks-Pens. That very matchup was the first Stanley Cup series I ever tuned in live for. And that was pulling in whatever scratchy AM broadcast I could using my sad boombox in my room. Since, you know...there were no national TV broadcasts in the US back then.

Oh, and of course, it was also the matchup in this very important touchstone in pop-culture. Unfortunately, "Ice to meet you" was not a quote in that film.

Go 'Hawks!!
Sudden Death is definitely one of the two or three best hockey movies starring JCVD.

Edit: Or, if you prefer, one of the two or three best action movies starring Luc Robitaille.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2009 04:09PM by Josh '99.

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: May 15, 2009 04:39PM

RichH
It would please me greatly (and draw me in to the Finals like no other in the last 5 years) if the Finals were to be Hawks-Pens. That very matchup was the first Stanley Cup series I ever tuned in live for.
This makes me feel really old. since I went to game 4 of that series with my kids and that was beaucoup years after my first interest in hockey.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: May 15, 2009 05:13PM

jkahn
RichH
It would please me greatly (and draw me in to the Finals like no other in the last 5 years) if the Finals were to be Hawks-Pens. That very matchup was the first Stanley Cup series I ever tuned in live for.
This makes me feel really old. since I went to game 4 of that series with my kids and that was beaucoup years after my first interest in hockey.
You should feel really old. YOU ARE! Me on the other handdemented

Bitz Article - Boston Herald
Posted by: rmandel (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 20, 2009 10:28PM

May 20 - Boston Herald

[www.bostonherald.com]

Bitz article in the Boston Globe
Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr5.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: June 03, 2009 10:36AM

I found this the other day:

[www.boston.com]

Look on page 2 for the writeup on Bitz.

Re: Bitz article in the Boston Globe
Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.120.207.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: June 03, 2009 10:46AM

Killer

[www.boston.com]

...which we hope potential recruits don't read, because it details how the Bruins staff wanted Bitz deprogrammed after Cornell. worry

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: June 03, 2009 10:57AM

Lauren '06
Killer

[www.boston.com]

...which we hope potential recruits don't read, because it details how the Bruins staff wanted Bitz deprogrammed after Cornell. worry

FYP.

No sense in having two places to look.panic

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: June 03, 2009 12:16PM

Lauren '06
Killer

[www.boston.com]

I think it might be easier for a coaching staff to have to teach a guy to be more aggressive in the offensive zone, than to have to teach an ~ 22 year old about defense.

Date: June 03, 2009 12:47PM

I think deprogrammed is too harsh a word. We play a different style than they wanted in Boston. So they had to teach him how to play that style. They didn't have to teach him how not to play defense.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: June 03, 2009 03:00PM

From what I remember of Bitz it couldn't have required too much encouraging to get him to hit and work the corners.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 03, 2009 03:10PM

ugarte
From what I remember of Bitz it couldn't have required too much encouraging to get him to hit and work the corners.

That is the part of that article that I find hilarious. His minor league coach says that the reason he is in the NHL is that he goes against the boards and comes out with the puck. Sure sounds like he is using his Cornell training to his advantage to me.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: June 03, 2009 03:16PM

Yeah. The game he learned/played in college looks pretty applicable to the big show. Seems to me the "reprogramming" bit is just casual badmouthing of the college game.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.crh.noaa.gov)
Date: June 04, 2009 11:14AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
I think deprogrammed is too harsh a word. We play a different style than they wanted in Boston. So they had to teach him how to play that style. They didn't have to teach him how not to play defense.

It is a little interesting that what made the Bruins great when they were playing their best game was defensive responsibilty (by all 5 skaters), a strong dump, chase and cycle game, and out working the other team in the physical department.

Sound familiar to anyone else? ;-)

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: June 04, 2009 02:12PM

oceanst41
Jeff Hopkins '82

It is a little interesting that what made the Bruins great when they were playing their best game was defensive responsibilty (by all 5 skaters), a strong dump, chase and cycle game, and out working the other team in the physical department.

The cynic might respond that that style of play was only good enough to win one round out of four in the playoffs. Sound familiar?

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.crh.noaa.gov)
Date: June 05, 2009 07:19AM

KeithK
oceanst41
Jeff Hopkins '82

The cynic might respond that that style of play was only good enough to win one round out of four in the playoffs. Sound familiar?

I was hoping to ignore that part. :-/

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: June 17, 2009 02:33AM

ftyuv
No more Ivy Leaguers in the playoffs.

Sad news bears.

Apparently, this was wrong.

[www.ivyleaguesports.com]

And yes. It was *that* school. yark

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login