Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

New Recruit for '09 - Greg Miller

Posted by pfibiger 
New Recruit for '09 - Greg Miller
Posted by: pfibiger (---.sip.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 03, 2009 10:15AM

Cornell just picked up a 2009 commitment from Greg Miller, Erik
Axell's linemate on the St. Michael's Buzzers and the #4 scorer in the entire OJHL. He's a little older ('89), but this is a great pickup. He scored 91 points in 49 games. He's around 6'0", 200lbs.

[buzzers.centraldivisionhockey.com]

So that's three Buzzers in one year, and 5 players in this class coming from the OJHL. A big swing from when 2/3 of our recruiting classes came from the BCHL a few years ago.

Re: New Recruit for '09 - Greg Miller
Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 03, 2009 10:55AM

Looks like an excellent addition. We certainly need more scoring punch and balance on the forward lines, and Miller certainly has been able to put the puck in the net on the Junior A level. We'll hope it can translate into at least a few goals next year and beyond.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: May 03, 2009 05:45PM

Too bad we didn't get the Rubinos. Twins! ;-)

Sounds like a great, late add. Not just a scorer, but a captain, and three of the new guys already have a core chemistry.

In a blast from the past 7 of 9 incoming players are from The No Nickname Province.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2009 05:53PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: CUontheslopes (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 03, 2009 08:18PM

Wow sounds like this guy is the real deal. Also, I wouldn't take it as a negative AT ALL that he's older. That's a huge positive. Air Force has built its recent success on getting older guys because they're bigger, stronger and more mature.

Quick question for the uneducated? I thought the BCHL was a really top flight league. Is the OJHL considered to be better?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2009 08:26PM by CUontheslopes.

Posted by: lynah80 (---.MED.UPENN.EDU)
Date: May 04, 2009 01:37AM

That puts 27 guys on the roster. I wonder if Mike will carry all of them.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: May 04, 2009 03:24AM

lynah80
Hopefully it doesn't mean Coach knows something about certain players that we don't. *fingers crossed*

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: May 04, 2009 08:31AM

KeithK
lynah80
Hopefully it doesn't mean Coach knows something about certain players that we don't. *fingers crossed*

Given recent trends, I think you have to at least plan for it.

Posted by: Roy 82 (12.14.62.---)
Date: May 05, 2009 12:04AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
KeithK
lynah80

Yes, you can't just sit around nashing your teeth.panic

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2009 12:38AM

Roy 82
Jeff Hopkins '82
KeithK
lynah80

Some people think that the grass is greener on the other side. worry

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2009 02:40AM

Rita
Roy 82
Jeff Hopkins '82
KeithK
lynah80

Perhaps they're worried that Freddy Krueger will kill them. (Aww I'm not very good at this.)

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: nr53 (---.cisco.com)
Date: May 05, 2009 04:59AM

French Rage
Rita
Roy 82
Jeff Hopkins '82
KeithK
lynah80

Perhaps they're worried that Freddy Krueger will kill them. (Aww I'm not very good at this.)

They're just looking for someone to Kary the team

Date: May 05, 2009 07:55AM

nr53
French Rage
Rita
Roy 82
Jeff Hopkins '82
KeithK
lynah80

Well, I think we've set the Bar low for humor on this thread.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2009 07:56AM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: May 05, 2009 11:01AM

Berk. :-(

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: May 05, 2009 12:21PM

Trotsky

Typnicholls. rolleyes

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2009 12:22PM by Beeeej.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: May 05, 2009 12:50PM

Beeeej
Trotsky

Typnicholls. rolleyes
Oh god, make it stop. bang

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: May 05, 2009 12:56PM

Josh '99
Beeeej
Trotsky

Typnicholls. rolleyes
Oh god, make it stop. bang

You need to sit back and jill, son.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: May 05, 2009 02:02PM

Trotsky

Again with the Cockney rhyming slang! :-O

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: May 05, 2009 02:19PM

Trotsky
Typicollins. rolleyes

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: May 05, 2009 09:03PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
nr53
French Rage
Rita
Roy 82
Jeff Hopkins '82
KeithK
lynah80

Well, I think we've set the Bar low for humor on this thread.

I'm now in need of these:

Superfluous e notwithstanding.

But then again it's:

time.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2009 09:05PM by marty.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 06, 2009 12:17AM

It's great to see beer names back in the Cornell lineup.

Date: May 06, 2009 08:28AM

So does this make us the Big Red Beers?

Posted by: Robb (---.gradacc.ox.ac.uk)
Date: May 06, 2009 10:38AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
So does this make us the Big Red Beers?
Daaaa...Beers.

It's a real gem of a program.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 06, 2009 05:59PM

Nope, no one could guess it's May based on this thread.

Posted by: WillCMJr (---.bing.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 07, 2009 11:39AM

pfibiger
Cornell just picked up a 2009 commitment from Greg Miller, Erik
Axell's linemate on the St. Michael's Buzzers and the #4 scorer in the entire OJHL. He's a little older ('89), but this is a great pickup. He scored 91 points in 49 games. He's around 6'0", 200lbs.

[buzzers.centraldivisionhockey.com]

So that's three Buzzers in one year, and 5 players in this class coming from the OJHL. A big swing from when 2/3 of our recruiting classes came from the BCHL a few years ago.

Not sure it's a good swing. Most of the players that have been drafted in the first round directly from the CJHL were in the BCHL, so far never one from the OJHL.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2009 11:44AM by WillCMJr.

Posted by: WillCMJr (---.bing.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 07, 2009 11:42AM

My understanding is no, BCHL is considered higher competition. Someone feel free to correct me!

Date: May 07, 2009 03:09PM

WillCMJr
Not sure it's a good swing. Most of the players that have been drafted in the first round directly from the CJHL were in the BCHL, so far never one from the OJHL.

Brendan Smith (Wisconsin) and Andrew Cogliano (Michigan) were both drafted in the first round from the St. Mikes Buzzers, the same team Smith, Axell, and D'Agostino play for. Bunch of second rounders in the past few years, too. Brandon Burlon (Michigan) and Corey Trivino (was headed to BU, now in the OHL) to name a couple.

Over the past few years the BCHL has been considered a stronger league. I don't know if that's still the case, it may be. We're not the only school that was recently BC heavy and has moved on. North Dakota used to be competing with us for a lot of the same kids in BC. They seem to have swung heavily to Alberta. Denver, another BC stalwart, has no kids in the last class or coming next year from BC. Like UND (and to a lesser extent, Cornell) they seem to have focused more on Alberta.

I wonder if any of it is a cost cutting measure? It's certainly a lot easier and cheaper for our coaches to see a kid play multiple times in Hamilton or Oakville than it is in Salmon Arm or Vernon.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.ospd.ca.gov)
Date: May 07, 2009 03:25PM

League quality is no doubt dynamic.

Whether the BCHL or the OJHL is the superior league at this time, I think it's fair to say that the difference in league quality is fairly insubstantial. Players from both leagues are similarly ready to play Division I hockey.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: May 07, 2009 03:41PM

pfibiger
WillCMJr

Brendan Smith (Wisconsin) and Andrew Cogliano (Michigan) were both drafted in the first round from the St. Mikes Buzzers, the same team Smith, Axell, and D'Agostino play for. Bunch of second rounders in the past few years, too. Brandon Burlon (Michigan) and Corey Trivino (was headed to BU, now in the OHL) to name a couple.

Over the past few years the BCHL has been considered a stronger league. I don't know if that's still the case, it may be. We're not the only school that was recently BC heavy and has moved on. North Dakota used to be competing with us for a lot of the same kids in BC. They seem to have swung heavily to Alberta. Denver, another BC stalwart, has no kids in the last class or coming next year from BC. Like UND (and to a lesser extent, Cornell) they seem to have focused more on Alberta.

I wonder if any of it is a cost cutting measure? It's certainly a lot easier and cheaper for our coaches to see a kid play multiple times in Hamilton or Oakville than it is in Salmon Arm or Vernon.
Hmm. My impression was that Schafer had been a bit ahead of the curve on recruiting from the BCHL (plus has the great connection at Nanaimo) and that when other schools got clued in to the depth of talent that there is out there, resources were shifted elsewhere. (In other words, returns were diminishing because of added competition, rather than because the talent pool isn't as good in BC as it was a few years ago.)

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: May 07, 2009 06:53PM

Josh '99
Hmm. My impression was that Schafer had been a bit ahead of the curve on recruiting from the BCHL (plus has the great connection at Nanaimo) and that when other schools got clued in to the depth of talent that there is out there, resources were shifted elsewhere. (In other words, returns were diminishing because of added competition, rather than because the talent pool isn't as good in BC as it was a few years ago.)
That's exactly what I was thinking.

The change in assistant coaches may be a part of the shift too.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: May 07, 2009 09:32PM

Robb
Daaaa...Beers.

It's a real gem of a program.

This might start a tiff. Any takers?

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 08, 2009 11:49AM

Trotsky
This might start a tiff. Any takers?

Go for it. drunk

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: May 11, 2009 01:59PM

I was hoping that a Cornell fan would read this article [www.standard-freeholder.com] which I linked on USCHO and extract the relevant Cornell content. It doesn't look like anyone has. This thread has wandered far enough afield so it isn't completely off topic.

Laliberte talked about a "good nucleus'' of returning players, and he was energized by the play of some of the skaters at the weekend camp, including skilled forward Kevin Cole, who's made a committment to Cornwall for the upcoming season.

<snip>

The Colts also landed what they believe will be some key pieces in building a standout team this campaign, with Cole's committment. Cole, 17, has already committed to play university hockey at division l Cornell.

"He's an offensive talent,'' MacInnis said. "He's one or two years away from Cornell.''

Cole played junior A previously in Binghamton, and last year he skated at Northwood Prep in Lake Placid.

Date: May 11, 2009 08:31PM

ursusminor
... which I linked on USCHO and extract the relevant Cornell content ...

The Colts also landed what they believe will be some key pieces in building a standout team this campaign, with Cole's committment. Cole, 17, has already committed to play university hockey at division l Cornell.

"He's an offensive talent,'' MacInnis said. "He's one or two years away from Cornell.''

Cole played junior A previously in Binghamton, and last year he skated at Northwood Prep in Lake Placid.

I had seen that and thought I'd posted it. I guess not :) Thanks for posting it. I'm a little surprised he's headed to Cornwall, I would have expected he'd be playing in the USHL next year. I guess that Cornwall is a lot closer to Ithaca, which outweighs the dropoff in league quality. I imagine both Cole and Laliberte will put up huge numbers next year (as Laliberte has done the past two), particularly if they end up on the same line.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2009 09:05PM by pfibiger.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 11, 2009 10:12PM

pfibiger
ursusminor
... which I linked on USCHO and extract the relevant Cornell content ...

I had seen that and thought I'd posted it. I guess not :) Thanks for posting it. I'm a little surprised he's headed to Cornwall, I would have expected he'd be playing in the USHL next year. I guess that Cornwall is a lot closer to Ithaca, which outweighs the dropoff in league quality. I imagine both Cole and Laliberte will put up huge numbers next year (as Laliberte has done the past two), particularly if they end up on the same line.
I searched for "Cole" and didn't find any post by you or anyone else.

I'd like to see Laliberté head for the USHL too. He certainly doesn't need another year in the CJHL after two 90-point seasons, but I suspect whatever he didn't like in Pembroke is keeping him close to home. He better get over it by 2010.

BTW, USHR is reporting that Andy Iles will be playing for the USNTDP U-18 team next year.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2009 10:17PM by ursusminor.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login