Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Good Luck, Cornell!

Posted by badger 
Good Luck, Cornell!
Posted by: badger (---.dhcp.mdsn.wi.charter.com)
Date: March 29, 2009 05:54PM

Wanted to let you know you'll have some Badgers cheering for you tonight! I've had a soft spot for Cornell ever since that epic game against UW in the Green Bay Regional in 2006. That still remains the best hockey game I have ever seen.

Go Big Red!

Re: Good Luck, Cornell!
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 06:04PM

badger
Wanted to let you know you'll have some Badgers cheering for you tonight! I've had a soft spot for Cornell ever since that epic game against UW in the Green Bay Regional in 2006. That still remains the best hockey game I have ever seen.

Go Big Red!

Thanks very much. The Wisconsin team and fans have always had our respect and affection since that game.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 29, 2009 06:07PM

badger

Go Big Red!

Classy, well-said, and most welcome. I had nothing but overwhelmingly positive interactions with Wisconsin fans who spotted my Cornell gear at the Frozen Four immediately following that quarterfinal, so I have a soft spot for y'all as well. Thanks!!

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 06:14PM

Beeeej
badger

Go Big Red!

Classy, well-said, and most welcome. I had nothing but overwhelmingly positive interactions with Wisconsin fans who spotted my Cornell gear at the Frozen Four immediately following that quarterfinal, so I have a soft spot for y'all as well. Thanks!!

Don't forget, we also shared Ship of Fools with them a few years back when they were in the basketball tourney.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 06:20PM

Not sure whether to say thanks or up yours, too. It's been a wee bit hard getting over blowing a 5-2 lead to Wisconsin in the NCAA semis a couple years before that. (Like when Richard Nixon was president; it was easier to get over that.) But what can you say other than "OMG!" when something like 50 buses of red-clad Badger fans roll up to Boston Garden, which is a freakin' drive compared to Ithaca-Boston. And wasn't it Wisconsin the before that that went ballistically happy at hammering Denver in the NCAA consolations (yes, they once existed) the year before that, chanting for the entire third period, Best in the West! Best in the West!

That's when you remember fan is short for fanatic.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 06:31PM

billhoward
Not sure whether to say thanks or up yours, too. It's been a wee bit hard getting over blowing a 5-2 lead to Wisconsin in the NCAA semis a couple years before that. (Like when Richard Nixon was president; it was easier to get over that.) But what can you say other than "OMG!" when something like 50 buses of red-clad Badger fans roll up to Boston Garden, which is a freakin' drive compared to Ithaca-Boston. And wasn't it Wisconsin the before that that went ballistically happy at hammering Denver in the NCAA consolations (yes, they once existed) the year before that, chanting for the entire third period, Best in the West! Best in the West!

That's when you remember fan is short for fanatic.
Come on Bill. Yes that game was terrible for us, but nothing should take away from the friendship that develops as the years progress. That's the past, this is now, and I'd also like to say thank you.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 06:36PM

I did say thank you. In my own, grudging way. Cornell has great fans, and Wisconsin has great fans in numbers that have been and will be the standard for college hockey. And come to think of it, Wisconsin is one of the handful of schools that could dream of a double in hockey and hoops.

Date: March 29, 2009 06:39PM

While this was painful, I'm sure this was too. Dona nobis pacem.

Posted by: canuck89 (---.med.cornell.edu)
Date: March 29, 2009 06:43PM

Trotsky
While this was painful, I'm sure this was too. Dona nobis pacem.

that didn't do it justice...

It's one of those that you always remember what you were, what you were doing at the time. Yes, in front of a tv watching the game. Well, pain is an understatement, haha. Nonetheless, much thanks to badger, and they certainly were a pleasure to play and have always had a competitive and respectable program.

Date: March 29, 2009 06:47PM

canuck89
have always had a competitive and respectable program.

And. They hate Minnesota, too.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2009 07:02PM

badger

Go Big Red!

Thanks very much for the wishes.

And speaking of wishes, Dave Peace('75) of the '73 team wishes he could see a replay of the OT in the Garden. He related blasting one that caused all of the skaters to freeze because it looked like he had scored to win it. There was then a resumption in play once everyone saw the puck bounce off the boards.

He has always thought that it went right through the netting. But we all know that's impossible! whistle

Posted by: ansky629 (---.wireless.umnet.umich.edu)
Date: March 29, 2009 07:04PM

Too be fair, I think everybody outside of the state of Minnesota hates Minnesota. I'm just not sure that should be a plus for them

But I would also like to say thanks for the well wishes. Hopefully we can break out of this "come back from 2 down to win, lose in OT" skid that we've been in.

Posted by: Flyers1037 (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 07:22PM

That was a great game in 2006. I had a lot of respect for the Wisconsin fans. Especially after they realized we were the Big Red and changed from their "Let's Go Red" cheer. I'm not sure many fans would be as observant as that to change their staple cheer, especially when they outnumber our fans about 200:1. Also, I had several Wisconsin fans come up to me after the game and talk about how much they enjoyed the game and respected the Cornell team and style of play. That takes class to do.

Let's Go Red!

Posted by: min (---.dynamic.hinet.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 07:41PM

Thanks for the good wishes, too. I hope that the two schools can arrange a home-and-home series in the future. I have no proof, but I think there is enough good will and/or interest among the fans of both schools.

According to the records kept by our de facto historian (TBRW), Wisconsin has never visited Lynah, and Cornell never returned to Madison after two NC games in Dec 86. Did something happen during that series?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2009 07:41PM by min.

Posted by: hypotenuse (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 07:46PM

They did teach us the "sieve" cheer at that game, which was what, 1972 or 73? Anyway, I think that loss was Betrand's fault for leaving out Pettit and Westner until they couldn't stand up.

Posted by: hypotenuse (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 07:50PM

By the way, what does Wisconsin think of Harvard (assuming you think of them at all?)

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2009 08:01PM

min
Thanks for the good wishes, too. I hope that the two schools can arrange a home-and-home series in the future. I have no proof, but I think there is enough good will and/or interest among the fans of both schools.

According to the records kept by our de facto historian (TBRW), Wisconsin has never visited Lynah, and Cornell never returned to Madison after two NC games in Dec 86. Did something happen during that series?

Haven't been back to Madison, but we did play in the Badger Showdown holiday tournament in Milwaukee in December 1998.

Posted by: 75er (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2009 08:15PM

As someone who was at the '73 final, Bill's reaction is understandable. Wisconsin had the most intimidating fans I'd ever seen. It remains my single worst CU hockey memory. But the Badger fans were awesome. We were jealous!

Pettit and Westner were long gone by then, though.

Posted by: badger (---.dhcp.mdsn.wi.charter.com)
Date: March 29, 2009 08:26PM

hypotenuse
By the way, what does Wisconsin think of Harvard (assuming you think of them at all?)

Personally, we haven't played Harvard enough to hate them, so it is just a mild dislike. I kind of like BC, but that is only because I despise BU ("Screw BU!";). I was at the Frozen Four in Providence in 1978 (Wisconsin took 4th, back when there was a consolation game) and had a great time, but my BU dislike was reinforced.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2009 08:52PM

hypotenuse
They did teach us the "sieve" cheer at that game, which was what, 1972 or 73? Anyway, I think that loss was Betrand's fault for leaving out Pettit and Westner until they couldn't stand up.

Actually he put the fourth line out too much because after we got up, he was saving his first lines for the next night. (no day off). Anyone remember Don Ceci? He was a great role player but was only in Boston because of multple injuries to our starters.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 08:54PM

marty
hypotenuse
Actually he put the fourth line out too much because after we got up, he was saving his first lines for the next night. (no day off).
Right. Denver had crushed BC Thursday night had Friday to rest. Bertrand was spooked at having to play a rested Denver team.

Posted by: jkahn (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 10:52PM

hypotenuse
Can't blame him for leaving out guys who had already graduated and weren't on that '73 team.

Date: March 29, 2009 10:56PM

jkahn
hypotenuse
Can't blame him for leaving out guys who had already graduated and weren't on that '73 team.

Central Dogma holds the '73 Wisco loss was due to the '72 NCAA SF, which Cornell won but did not rest their players, leading to them being exhausted and losing to BU in the '72 NCAA Championship. The next year, Bertrand had the big late lead, rested his top his line in anticipation of the final, but was burned by the Wisco comeback.

A classic case of damned either way.
Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2009 11:05PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 11:05PM

Trotsky
jkahn
hypotenuse
IIHRC (that's, "Have Read";), the '73 Wisco comeback often is blamed on the '72 NCAA SF, which Cornell won but did not rest their players, leading to them being exhausted and losing to BU in the final. The next year, Bertrand rested his top his line with the big lead and was burned.
Right. I sat with Bertrand watching Denver dismantle BC on Thursday and he was obsessed with having again to play the Friday game and then face a rested Thursday night winner. That night Denver proceeded to crush (10-?) a BC team that held Cornell to a 3-2 ECAC championship win the week before.

The great irony is that the Wisconsin team that had to go overtime Friday night to beat Cornell handled rested Denver relatively easily on Saturday.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login