Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

NC$$ games Friday 3/27/09

Posted by Rita 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: NC$$ games Friday 3/27/09
Posted by: Larry72 (---.103-97.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2009 11:22PM

Unbelievable - Refs miss UMD pulling its goalie. Break for Princeton.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 27, 2009 11:23PM

Larry72
meaning what? a too-many-men call?

Posted by: lynah80 (---.MED.UPENN.EDU)
Date: March 27, 2009 11:26PM

Larry72

Not the first time that happened this season.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2009 11:26PM

Al DeFlorio
Princeton entering the last few minutes with a two-goal lead...uhoh

Now 4-3, 38 sec left.

Princeton 4, Minn-Duluth 2
Date: March 27, 2009 11:27PM

If this lead holds up in the last 90 seconds, all 4 games today will have ended in upset wins.

Date: March 27, 2009 11:29PM

UMD ties it with .8 seconds left.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)

Ah Princeton... trying valiantly to clutch defeat from the jaws of victory. :-P

Re: Princeton 4, Minn-Duluth 2
Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)

4-4. 0.8 sec left

OMG!

Boneheaded play by Princeton's goalie. He made the save with 5 seconds left, then careless (IMHO) threw puck in the corner. UMD scores to tie it at 4-4 with 0.8 seconds left.

He probably should have held it, skated a bit and taken a face-off.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2009 11:31PM by Rita.

Princeton 4, Minn-Duluth 4, heading to OT
Date: March 27, 2009 11:30PM

again...

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.host.starwoodhotels.com)
Date: March 27, 2009 11:33PM

Poor Princeton.

Date: March 27, 2009 11:36PM

Unbelievable - again. Hard to believe! Princeton needs to regroup and try to end it quickly in OT.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2009 11:36PM by Larry72.

Date: March 27, 2009 11:37PM

Rita
OMG!

Boneheaded play by Princeton's goalie. He made the save with 5 seconds left, then careless (IMHO) threw puck in the corner. UMD scores to tie it at 4-4 with 0.8 seconds left.

He probably should have held it, skated a bit and taken a face-off.

Princeton starts burning tomorrow's fuel again. Let's hope they can score quickly.

Posted by: HockeyMan (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2009 11:39PM

Foolish (if understandable) play by Kalemba with five seconds left, throwing the puck behind the net rather than hanging on for a faceoff. Unbelievable finish.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2009 11:43PM

Too bad, as Princeton has been the better team tonight. I agree that Kalemba surely wishes he had that last play back. I'm sure that UMD's dominance on the face-offs played into his thinking, as he must have been determined to avoid a defensive zone face-off in that spot.

Date: March 27, 2009 11:46PM

How difficult is it to tie the other team's faceoff guy and have your D-man or winger come in and get the puck?

The few times they had me playing center in Rec Hockey (against guys bigger and better than me), that is what I would do. Tie the guy up, and not worry about the puck. That should kill about 3 seconds.

Date: March 27, 2009 11:47PM

Princeton is being eaten alive at the moment.

For reference, I only started watching in the second half of the third period, and UMD has been the superior team during the time I've been watching: they've kept play in Princeton's end and dominated puck possession.

Date: March 27, 2009 11:50PM

In the 3rd, Princeton looked best on the PK with several good chances and a shorty. Other than that it's been all UMD.

Date: March 28, 2009 12:07AM

UMD PP

Date: March 28, 2009 12:07AM

Princeton blows.

Date: March 28, 2009 12:08AM

UMD 5-4 over Princeton on PPG. Poor Princeton.

Posted by: ansky629 (---.wireless.umnet.umich.edu)
Date: March 28, 2009 12:08AM

UMD finishes Princeton in overtime 5-4. Got a PP goal about 14 minutes in. Pretty pass across the crease and Kalemba had no chance.

And then there was 1. Too bad - Kalemba deserves better (other than not covering that puck).

Date: March 28, 2009 12:09AM

I'm betting Kalemba feels pretty fucking lousy right now: it's really easy to blame him for this loss, given the idiocy he displayed in the final 10 seconds of regulation.

Oh, well: Cornell is the final hope of the EZAC this year.

Posted by: trainbow (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 28, 2009 12:10AM

Larry72
UMD 5-4 over Princeton on PPG. Poor Princeton.

The Princeton radio announcer didn't even make a final comment about the game; just signed off to a program already in progress. Heartbreaking.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2009 12:15AM

One of the most crushing defeats I've ever seen in any sport at any level. I'm just glad it wasn't my team :-P

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 28, 2009 12:48AM

marty
Trotsky
jtwcornell91
What, no love for the RPI fight song?

I can't remember it. I do like their alma mater, though.

I wrote a parody of this many years ago when I thought there weren't any words. Some of the RIP alums took umbrage, but I thought the parody was a bit more fun than this:

Hail, dear old Rensselaer, the college of our heart.
For dear old Rensselaer, we all must do our part.
True to old Rensselaer, we'll always strive to be.
Now, dear old Rensselaer, hail to thee.

Hear the tramp, tramp, tramp of marching feet.
Hear the rat-tat-tat of drums that beat.
Hear the voices ringing loud and sweet.
Hear that mighty shout of ...

For dear old Rensselaer, we all must do our part.
True to old Rensselaer, we'll always strive to be.

The non-PC version original version

Hail, Dear Old Rensselaer
Words & Music by Charles S. Root '34

For dear old Rensselaer, each man must do his part.
True sons of Rensselaer, we'll always strive to be.

Hear the tramp, tramp, tramp of marching feet.
Hear the rat-tat-tat of drums that beat.
Hear the voices ringing loud and sweet.
Hear that mighty shout of...

For dear old Rensselaer, each man must do his part.
True sons of Rensselaer, we'll always strive to be.

mpeg: [pepband.union.rpi.edu]

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2009 03:35AM

Kyle Rose
I'm betting Kalemba feels pretty fucking lousy right now: it's really easy to blame him for this loss, given the idiocy he displayed in the final 10 seconds of regulation.

Actually I think he made the right play. The last thing you want with a couple of seconds left is a face off in your defensive zone. You want the clock to keep running. Your defense should be better able to tie up the puck behind the net, or fire it out of the zone, rather than give it up on a face off with a chance of a good shot oh goal.

I seem to remember us having been able to win a critical game by a late offensive face off win, and a shot from out front.

The blame should be to the defense, if anywhere.

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2009 07:57AM

Jim Hyla
Kyle Rose

Actually I think he made the right play. The last thing you want with a couple of seconds left is a face off in your defensive zone. You want the clock to keep running. Your defense should be better able to tie up the puck behind the net, or fire it out of the zone, rather than give it up on a face off with a chance of a good shot oh goal.

I seem to remember us having been able to win a critical game by a late offensive face off win, and a shot from out front.

Jim, I had the same thoughts. Had ugly flasbackbacks to that faceoff in our end with 5 seconds left, 36 years ago. If they win in regulation, everyone would say Kalemba made the right play. Don't know if one one was much better than the other. It comes down to execution afterward.

Date: March 28, 2009 08:03AM

Jim Hyla

I didn't see the toss into the corner, so I don't know if he threw the puck on a Bulldog stick, but I don't think he wanted a faceoff. I immediately thought of the ECAC final in 2003. The play didn't start with 5 seconds left but it definitely didn't TAKE 5 seconds.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.host.starwoodhotels.com)
Date: March 28, 2009 08:21AM

Jim Hyla
Kyle Rose

But the defense has to be there to have the opportunity t tie it up. They weren't; he threw it away with total disregard for who was in the area or streaking towards the area.

It's too bad; it would have been nice for a couple of Ivy's to advance.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2009 08:36AM by Jordan 04.

Posted by: HockeyMan (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2009 08:27AM

ugarte
Jim Hyla

I didn't see the toss into the corner, so I don't know if he threw the puck on a Bulldog stick, but I don't think he wanted a faceoff. I immediately thought of the ECAC final in 2003. The play didn't start with 5 seconds left but it definitely didn't TAKE 5 seconds.

I have to disagree. It's one thing to do this if the forecheckers are relatively far away; it's another to do it--as was the case here--if they're right there with your d-men. There would have been four seconds or less on the clock if he had held on for the faceoff. The chances of any team scoring in that situation is 1 in 200, at best. He made the wrong play.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 28, 2009 08:47AM

HockeyMan
I have to disagree. It's one thing to do this if the forecheckers are relatively far away; it's another to do it--as was the case here--if they're right there with your d-men. There would have been four seconds or less on the clock if he had held on for the faceoff. The chances of any team scoring in that situation is 1 in 200, at best. He made the wrong play.

But what's the odds of a team scoring with the puck behind the next with 4 seconds left? Even if its put right on their stick. 1 in 199?

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 28, 2009 09:29AM

So, to summarize, Yale pulled a Clarkson and Princeton pulled a Harvard. Now I guess it's up for us to pull a Cornell, i.e., fall behind to Northeastern, come back and win it, then take Notre Dame to overtime before losing.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: March 28, 2009 09:39AM

So its now been how many years since an ECAC team other than Cornell won an NCAA game?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2009 09:41AM

DeltaOne81
So its now been how many years since an ECAC team other than Cornell won an NCAA game?
One. Clarkson beat perennial NCAA loser St. Cloud last year in the first round before losing to Michigan.

Date: March 28, 2009 09:45AM

Okay, just saw the video of the goal on YouTube. It was an irresponsible drop back, no doubt.

He didn't shoot it into the corner, he lazily flipped it back only about 5 feet away from the goal. He had no time to think, I admit, but he shouldn't've done that.

Date: March 28, 2009 10:05AM

DeltaOne81
Okay, just

saw the video of the goal on YouTube. It was an irresponsible drop back, no doubt.

He didn't shoot it into the corner, he lazily flipped it back only about 5 feet away from the goal. He had no time to think, I admit, but he shouldn't've done that.

FYP.

At least he should have taken a second to think about whether he wanted to put the puck back on the ice. The refs would have burned a few seconds waiting to blow the whistle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2009 10:06AM by ugarte.

Date: March 28, 2009 10:30AM

HockeyMan
Agreed: this was exactly my thought when I saw the play. Goals directly off faceoffs are very rare.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: March 28, 2009 12:11PM

Al DeFlorio
DeltaOne81
One. Clarkson beat perennial NCAA loser St. Cloud last year in the first round before losing to Michigan.
Something had to give in that one.

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 28, 2009 01:35PM

ugarte
jtwcornell91
Rich S
Is it possible that you can actually be this arrogant?

Step away from the keyboard...
must... type... response...

same...applies...to...you, mr. know-it-all.

Date: March 28, 2009 02:57PM

Rich S
ugarte
jtwcornell91
Rich S
Is it possible that you can actually be this arrogant?

Step away from the keyboard...
must... type... response...

same...applies...to...you, mr. know-it-all.
It was directed at me. And I was referring to me! Seriously, are you really this dense?

Note to RichH: I lose again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2009 02:57PM by ugarte.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2009 06:46PM

jtwcornell91
So, to summarize, Yale pulled a Clarkson and Princeton pulled a Harvard. Now I guess it's up for us to pull a Cornell, i.e., fall behind to Northeastern, come back and win it, then take Notre Dame to overtime before losing.

Quite a prediction!burnout

Posted by: JimHyla (---.dpfox.com)
Date: March 28, 2009 06:55PM

marty
jtwcornell91

Yeah, but it's wrong.

Date: March 28, 2009 07:56PM

JimHyla
marty
jtwcornell91

Yeah, but it's wrong.
Go Bemidji!

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login