Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

QF1 Photos are up

Posted by CowbellGuy 
QF1 Photos are up
Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 17, 2009 12:17PM

[www.elynah.com]

Re: QF1 Photos are up
Posted by: JasonN95 (---.nyc.deshaw.com)
Date: March 17, 2009 01:38PM

Very nice. I love the expression on the kid's face in images 21 and 22.

Posted by: Robb (---.gradacc.ox.ac.uk)
Date: March 17, 2009 02:34PM

I'd love to know how the Cornell player (no number visible) ended up in that position in photo #32!

Date: March 17, 2009 02:39PM

Robb
I'd love to know how the Cornell player (no number visible) ended up in that position in photo #32!
Jillson, got checked by (John) Kennedy in the preceding frame, whose offending shoulder is visible to the right of the shot that's up there.

Posted by: BCrespi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 17, 2009 05:02PM

My reaction to picture 63 is a lot more subdued today than it would have been Friday night. Glad I didn't see that.

Great shots, as usual.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 17, 2009 05:25PM

Yet again I am amazed at how much lighting, the camera and post-processing affects the images and specifically the colors you see. The color on the RPI jerseys in Age's pictures looks very little like what I saw on the video this weekend.

It's easy to get lulled back into thinking that cameras just show exactly what the world looks like. But it's more complicated than that.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: March 17, 2009 06:14PM

Robb
Am I the only one who sees this:

[www.elynah.com]

as photo 32? This can't be the photo you're referring to.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: March 17, 2009 06:16PM

Kyle Rose
Robb
Am I the only one who sees this:

[www.elynah.com]

as photo 32? This can't be the photo you're referring to.

They're off by 1, look at the one before it.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: March 17, 2009 06:19PM

French Rage
They're off by 1, look at the one before it.
Got it. That is pretty funny, and it wasn't clear from the thumbnail. :-)

Date: March 18, 2009 10:34AM

KeithK
Yet again I am amazed at how much lighting, the camera and post-processing affects the images and specifically the colors you see. The color on the RPI jerseys in Age's pictures looks very little like what I saw on the video this weekend.

It's easy to get lulled back into thinking that cameras just show exactly what the world looks like. But it's more complicated than that.

It's definitely more complicated than that, but don't take my photos to be the gold standard for color. They're just as subjective as what the webcast's crappy video cameras interpret, but for different reasons.

First of all, wrapping my photos in that Flash app for image security caused more problems than it solved. I'm glad I was able to make it work, but Flash has no color management whatsoever. If you load those image files directly into a browser they look completely different than what Flash does to it. I actually have a filter I run the photos through to make them slightly more acceptable in Flash, which completely defeats the purpose of displaying un-watermarked originals. So when I get to it, Flash will be removed, and I'll just watermark the images displayed, but at least the color and gamma will be correct.

The second problem is the goddamned lighting in Lynah. For those that haven't heard my bitching, the lights actually do some sort of phasing between a reddish hue and a blueish hue. Adjacent lights are 180 deg. out-of-phase with each other. I was playing around between warmups and the game a few weeks ago to see if I could find what frequency they work at. The effect largely went away at around a 1/100th sec. exposure, so maybe 120Hz? Fast enough to not affect video cameras and the human eye, at any rate. But that exposure duration is clearly useless for hockey. The end result is every photo has light areas, dark areas, blue areas, and red areas, and it's a nightmare to process. If you have a compact camera with an LCD display, just zoom out and point the camera at the ice some time--if you're not prone to epileptic seizures.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: March 18, 2009 11:33AM

These pictures are excellent. I'm an acknowledged skate freak..........I have 3 boys playing hockey (we're a Bauer family, currently wearing Vapor XXXX's). What kind of skates is Dan Nicholls wearing in photo 29 of 67? I think I recognize all of the other skate models on our guys.

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: March 18, 2009 11:48AM

CowbellGuy
The second problem is the goddamned lighting in Lynah. For those that haven't heard my bitching, blah blah blah

So did anyone else notice the lighting changes in several of the other road rinks this year? The ones I really noticed were Bright (har har) and Meehan. Those two now feature a massive array of very bright fluorescent lights. At Bright, they're arranged in ceiling fan configurations and closer to the ice, compared to the old lights. At Meehan, I really noticed an increased level of light coming off the ice. I'm sure the biggest factor driving those new lights were probably energy savings, but I'm wondering what the photographers thought.

I'm also surprised nobody really has commented on the brand new video scoreboard that is now up at Harvard. (Side story: I got shoved by an older Harvard fan during intermission because I was blocking his view of the self-lionizing video they were showing up on the video board...never mind that his section was pretty empty at the time). I believe this is the first real video scoreboard in the ECAC.

Date: March 18, 2009 12:12PM

Didn't make it to Meehan, but a couple of Bic lighters would probably light the place up better than the old lights did, so that's good to hear. I didn't bother shooting at Harvard, though I do remember it being darker than it is with the new lights. I figured they had to/chose to replace the lights when they did the scoreboard.

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: March 18, 2009 12:27PM

RichH
I'm also surprised nobody really has commented on the brand new video scoreboard that is now up at Harvard.

I liked it because my seats were down low right behind the goal at the contra-pressbox side, so I had some help seeing the action at the far end.

Self-promotion aside, it was kind of neat before the start of the game the way they showed each of their players (with names) in various non-hockey settings like weight room etc. That kind of stuff is attractive to recruits who might otherwise balk at playing in a venue with no fans.**]

Posted by: Trotsky (199.46.196.---)
Date: March 18, 2009 01:43PM

RichH
I'm sure the biggest factor driving those new lights were probably energy savings

Not the driver, but it can't hurt the video feed either.

I believe this is the first real video scoreboard in the ECAC.

And may it be the last (although the refurbished Gut may have had one during the post-elephant walk years).

Posted by: nr53 (---.cisco.com)
Date: March 18, 2009 03:08PM

RatushnyFan
These pictures are excellent. I'm an acknowledged skate freak..........I have 3 boys playing hockey (we're a Bauer family, currently wearing Vapor XXXX's). What kind of skates is Dan Nicholls wearing in photo 29 of 67? I think I recognize all of the other skate models on our guys.

I think they're Easton skates. I found these online that look similar:
[www.hockeygiant.com]

Date: March 18, 2009 03:16PM

Here you go ;)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login