Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Postgame thread: Cornell 2 at Harvard 4

Posted by billhoward 
Postgame thread: Cornell 2 at Harvard 4
Posted by: billhoward (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 14, 2009 09:56PM

Beyond the obvious issues of the power play -- Cornell is having trouble when all 4 Harvard goals were PPG and when Cornell is something like 4 x 37 now on PP opportunities -- it seems as if Cornell can't (take your pick) be opportunistic, creative, or just plain scary (on offense). The Cornell-not-opportunistic line was in my head before Greening banged home the rebound to make it 3-2 with 3-1/2 minutes to play. So give us that.

Maybe this is just a reversible slump and not a death spiral paralleling the economy. Had just one of those Cornell PP rebounds been knocked home, it would have been a 3-3 final and we'd have gone into OT. And what are the odds we'd lose two straight games in OT?

When Cornell wears those red road uniforms, does the spirit of the Red Army teams go with the unis, and you play regimented, massive attack, and you've got no Plan B when you fall behind? We outshoot, out-faceoff, out-everything Harvard and lose. When we were down by 2 and the clock fell below 10:00 to play, it felt as if Cornell was not the kind of time that inspires confidence in two late-game goals.

So we're due to snap out of it some point. Who'd have thought: zero point weekend?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2009 09:59PM by billhoward.

Re: Postgame thread: Cornell 2 at Harvard 4
Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 14, 2009 10:03PM

I'd have thought. No matter what those chuckle-head TV announcers say, we have a huge hole down the middle without Michael Kennedy. He can't come back soon enough. When Mugford has to center the 3rd line instead of the checking line, we've got problems.

The reality of the situation, though, is that (knock on wood) all we have to do is win two of our last four (cue Jim Mora) and we get a week off. I have little doubt that the bye week would do wonders for us.

We play Yale, Union, RPI, and Brown; that's 1st place, t-7th, 10th, and 12th. Whatever you want to say about how "anybody can beat anybody" in this league, if we don't win two of those games we don't deserve a first-round bye.

NCAAs? Pffft. Better start looking for an ECAC championship.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 14, 2009 10:26PM

Greening had a monster game, I think he had at least 7 prime scoring chances. We outshot them drastically, but we just couldn't get the puck to go in the net. I actually thought the power play was much more creative than they have been in the past, and they were getting plenty of chances but just not putting home the rebounds. The one thing I would like to see is that once they have posession for a while and the PKers are tired they should try to move the puck faster instead of just going for the point shots.

Posted by: lynah80 (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 15, 2009 04:21AM

Brandon Thomas quoted Mike in his blog tonight:

"I can't complain with the way we approached game," Schafer said. "If we play like that for the rest of the year, we'll be in good shape."

I think that when your opponent figures out your PK and PP strategies, you need to make adjustments. This has been an issue for the last few years in games with Harvard. Ted Donato doesn't have a good team this year but he is still a very smart guy.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2009 04:58AM by lynah80.

Date: February 15, 2009 04:25AM

billhoward
When Cornell wears those red road uniforms, does the spirit of the Red Army teams go with the unis, and you play regimented, massive attack ...

I cracked up when I read this. Those old CCCP teams were good though, but they did have that one notable loss in 1980.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2009 04:49AM by lynah80.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: February 15, 2009 07:03AM

I take some cosmic responsibility for recent events:
[elf.elynah.com]
KeithK, Jan 26
What we need is to step away from the rankings a bit and enjoy the hockey. A dozen years ago, before the PWR was widely circulated, Cornell fans would have looked at this team and thought "this is great! We're 14-2-3 and have a three point lead in the ECAC." A little more of that and a little stress about the PWR effect of each game might make things a bit more enjoyable.
Right now, stressing about PWR effects sounds really good...

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 15, 2009 08:20AM

KeithK
[elf.elynah.com]
While I don't take responsibility, I think some perspective might be helpful:

ugarte, 12/18/08
Cornell has played most of the season on the razor's edge. In 9 games we've won 4 games by one goal and tied twice. Every game seems to have at least one shot that hit the post or a puck that got behind Scrivens and was cleared. After each game the sentiment seems to be "whew" not "outstanding!", as it used to be with Lenny and McKee. He appears to those reporting contemporaneously to be a combination of lucky and good.

I expect that he will remain very good through the year but his luck will probably run out and those pucks will start hitting the inside of the post.

We are a team that is not that far ahead of the pack in the ECAC. A top 5 ranking was never appropriate. I enjoy the wins and lament the losses but 2009 was not a year that I expected Cornell to make a serious run at an NCAA title.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2009 08:21AM by ugarte.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2009 10:57AM

ugarte
We are a team that is not that far ahead of the pack in the ECAC.
One point out of 4th is indeed not that far ahead of the pack. =]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2009 10:57AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 15, 2009 11:27AM

ugarte
KeithK
[elf.elynah.com]
While I don't take responsibility, I think some perspective might be helpful:

ugarte, 12/18/08
Cornell has played most of the season on the razor's edge. In 9 games we've won 4 games by one goal and tied twice. Every game seems to have at least one shot that hit the post or a puck that got behind Scrivens and was cleared. After each game the sentiment seems to be "whew" not "outstanding!", as it used to be with Lenny and McKee. He appears to those reporting contemporaneously to be a combination of lucky and good.

I expect that he will remain very good through the year but his luck will probably run out and those pucks will start hitting the inside of the post.

We are a team that is not that far ahead of the pack in the ECAC. A top 5 ranking was never appropriate. I enjoy the wins and lament the losses but 2009 was not a year that I expected Cornell to make a serious run at an NCAA title.

As long as we're taking responsibility or looking for perspective:

Beeeej, January 18
Does anybody doubt that a hot Yale, a frustrated Harvard, an unusually stifled Clarkson, and half a dozen other ECAC teams seeking revenge for their first tastes of Cornell this season will present an interesting challenge over the remaining twelve regular season games?

I saw some great stuff from this Cornell team this weekend, but I for one am not expecting them to enter the conference tourney at 25-1-3.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: CU at Stanford (---.tmodns.net)
Date: February 15, 2009 01:30PM

0-7 in power play vs. Harvard
That don't make us look like a contender for ECAC

Don't forget, this Harvard team last night played their third game in one week, no? We should have the refresher legs, and maybe we did. The SOG count was deceiving in a sense that yes Cornell generated a lot of shots but most of them were not going to go into net in the first place, whereas each of Harvard's PPG you'd just get this sick-to-your-stomach feeling watching the play developed. Pretty Harvard hockey, not so much on the Big Red side.

We sat next to the Harvard Band, and my wife remarked that their band section (or, as she'd put it, Harvard's fan base flipa) has matured over the last 10-11 years since we have been going to games at Bright. It was painful to hear the Crimson pukes hurling cheers and insults on our goalie and team the way we typically would have taken it to their team.

This was the third non-winning Cornell-Harvard contest we have attended in the last 4-5 years. I hope we will reverse the trend SOON. I am slowly losing my stamina to come to a "flipping" cold Cambridge to watch our Big Red team pummeled, on a Valentine's Day, no less.

Posted by: CU at Stanford (---.tmodns.net)
Date: February 15, 2009 01:33PM

I do want to give a public shoutout to Joanna and Justin (MBA '99) for our tickets to Bright last night. Nice meeting Bâby Grace!

How come the Cornell Pep Band did not play the love theme from Love Story last night? We were at Harvard, on Valentine's Day, so it would have seem perfect. But, no Love Story, hardly the O Canada (by Cornell fans), and, on top of that, Harvard totally screwed up on the singing of the US national anthem. nut

Date: February 15, 2009 04:24PM

CU at Stanford
How come the Cornell Pep Band did not play the love theme from Love Story last night? We were at Harvard, on Valentine's Day, so it would have seem perfect.

They did, twice.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2009 04:31PM

Beeeej
CU at Stanford
How come the Cornell Pep Band did not play the love theme from Love Story last night? We were at Harvard, on Valentine's Day, so it would have seem perfect.

They did, twice.

Why not three times? (this is actually a serious question)

Posted by: ChipJ (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2009 04:41PM

I also sat next to the Harvard band last night. Didn't you notice that nobody sang or even CARED when the Harvard bank played their Alma Mater but all the Cornell fans sang lustily for ours? That is the difference between Harvard and Cornell.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.client.stsn.net)
Date: February 15, 2009 05:01PM

ChipJ
I also sat next to the Harvard band last night. Didn't you notice that nobody sang or even CARED when the Harvard bank played their Alma Mater but all the Cornell fans sang lustily for ours? That is the difference between Harvard and Cornell.
Yes, and they even posted their words on the scoreboard for those that couldn't remember them.

The new line
Date: February 15, 2009 06:07PM

I think it's interesting that the new line, Greening-Gallagher-Devin, has been so successful with 4 goals in 2 games. Gallagher has developed into an excellent face-off man and play maker. Greening took 12 shots in the Harvard game alone. There are other advantages of splitting up Greening and Nash. It encourages Nash to shoot more, rather than try for the perfect assist and opponents will have to decide which of the lines is a bigger threat when setting up their lines. In fact, if Jillson can be the play maker for the first line, both Nash and Barlow can do more shooting. Unfortunately, Jillson is so small, he is going to get banged up a lot as he did against Dartmouth. Also, without Greening on the first line, teams can hound Nash, as did Quinnipiac. Sean Collins could be a good physical presence on the first line, but obviously he will need to develop more before he becomes another Byron Bitz. That would move Barlow into the role of play maker, which he can certainly handle, but it's not his favorite. However the lines are set up, someone is going to have to feed Nash with pucks because under pressure he is still the best shot on the team.

When M. Kennedy comes back, will Schafer go back to:

Greening-Nash-Barlow
Jillson/Roeszler-Kennedy-Kennedy
Collins/Kary-Gallagher-Devin
Scali/Nicholls-Punches-Mugford

or will he try something like this:

Nash-Barlow-Jillson/Collins
Greening-Gallagher-Devin
Kennedy-Kennedy-Roeszler/Jillson
Mugford-Punches-Scali/Nicholls

I'm not giving up on this team. They could easily go 3-1 and end up with 29 points in the ECAC. (I'm not conceding the Yale game, just being a little conservative.) That gets them a week off, home ice and a likely trip to Albany. Last year's team had 25 points.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2009 07:12PM by lynah80.

Posted by: TShen (---.rcmdva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 15, 2009 06:22PM

Scersk '97
NCAAs? Pffft. Better start looking for an ECAC championship.

Agreed, especially since the team has not won ECAC since 2005.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.dsl.scrm01.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 15, 2009 06:53PM

CU at Stanford
0-7 in power play vs. Harvard
That don't make us look like a contender for ECAC

Despite not scoring, I thought Cornell moved the puck very well on the power play. Not scoring is disappointing and frustrating, but I don't think the power play needs a lot of work. The first power-play unit created a bunch of scoring chances. Despite not hitting the back of the net last night, if Cornell continues its great puck movement and crisp passing on the power play, the goals will come.

All in all, I see no reason to panic. The team has played well in each of its three recent losses. Frankly, the team wasn't playing appreciably better during the 13-1-3 start. The team had plenty of defensive lapses during those first 17 games and sometimes had trouble lighting the lamp. Cornell was fortunate to lose only one of those games, and has been unlucky to lose the last three.

Date: February 15, 2009 07:48PM

Replying to myself, I notice that I didn't calculate particularly well last night. Quite obviously, we need 5 points of the last 8 to assure ourselves of a bye.

If we were to win 2 and SLU to win 4, we would be tied with them for points and total wins. The next tiebreaker, record vs. top 4, turns out badly for us. Assuming Dartmouth able to win a couple of games, the tie with SLU would likely be for 4th, and, therefore, we would end up 5th.

Sorry, my bad.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2009 01:10AM

I can't really add too much to what people have already said.

I will make one point, though. We can beat the team up over missed offensive opportunities -- Greening could have had 5 goals this weekend, Riley missed a breakaway on Friday, etc. However, don't forget that the team gave up 8 (non-ENG) goals this weekend. It's hard to win games when you give up 4 goals, especially for a team like ours which is used to winning games when scoring 1-3 goals.

It's the small things that kill us. I don't know how Scrivens let that terrible goal in against Dartmouth. On Saturday we should have cleared the puck before the 3rd H goal. I think Punches had it on his stick and couldn't get it out of the zone.

The defense concerns me, because that was definitely a strength during the first half. Between the 8 SLU goals, the meltdown against Princeton and our mistakes this weekend...I don't think we have confidence in our D or Scrivens.

I see us sliding into a top-4 spot, much like in 2007 when we got zero points at D and H during the last weekend of the season yet secured a bye. And we know how that season ended.

I still think we can make a run in Albany and have a strong showing at NCAAs. We just have to get back on track, and hopefully Schafer will have an easier time figuring out how to do that than he did two years ago.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 07:30AM

ebilmes
It's the small things that kill us.
Mental as well as physical: Penalties taken in the offensive zone (see Joe Devin at Harvard) that negate power plays; unnecessary, serving-no-purpose penalties in the neutral zone (see Barlow at Harvard and Krueger at Dartmouth) that lead to goals against; flagrant penalties that serve no purpose (see Greening's cross-check in the last 30 seconds at Harvard). When you have limited offense, especially on the road, you can't hand the other guy man-advantage opportunities to score. There are times when taking a penalty is the smart choice, but we're making too many dumb choices. At Dartmouth and Harvard that killed us.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: February 16, 2009 10:40AM

Chris '03
Beeeej
CU at Stanford

They did, twice.

They play it at the beginning of periods after Davy. They're busy playing other stuff at the start of the third.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.host.starwoodhotels.com)
Date: February 16, 2009 10:48AM

CU at Stanford

How come the Cornell Pep Band did not play the love theme from Love Story last night?

I was more curious as to why the Hahvard band twice went back-to-back songs during the 2nd intermission. Left us sitting on our hands for most of the break.

Posted by: sah67 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 10:59AM

Jordan 04
CU at Stanford

How come the Cornell Pep Band did not play the love theme from Love Story last night?

I was more curious as to why the Hahvard band twice went back-to-back songs during the 2nd intermission. Left us sitting on our hands for most of the break.

I don't know but it was pretty fun to watch the Harvard band conductor freak out when our band kept playing (can't remember which song) while play had resumed on the ice. She was literally shaking in her Uggs with rage, screaming over at our band, waving her arms around...I seriously thought her head was going to explode.

Not that it was ok for the Cornell band to play during action (can't remember the last time that happened, or if it was accidental or purposeful in this case)...but the Harvard girl's reaction was still priceless ;)

Date: February 16, 2009 11:10AM

CowbellGuy
Chris '03
Beeeej
CU at Stanford

They did, twice.

They play it at the beginning of periods after Davy. They're busy playing other stuff at the start of the third.

They're not busy playing other stuff when warmups start.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2009 11:14AM

sah67
Jordan 04
CU at Stanford

I don't know but it was pretty fun to watch the Harvard band conductor freak out when our band kept playing (can't remember which song) while play had resumed on the ice. She was literally shaking in her Uggs with rage, screaming over at our band, waving her arms around...I seriously thought her head was going to explode.

Not that it was ok for the Cornell band to play during action (can't remember the last time that happened, or if it was accidental or purposeful in this case)...but the Harvard girl's reaction was still priceless ;)

Our band (at least the low brass) kept playing Hey Bâby after play had resumed.

Date: February 16, 2009 11:33AM

ebilmes
sah67
Jordan 04
CU at Stanford

Our band (at least the low brass) kept playing Hey Bâby after play had resumed.

Uh oh. I hope Jim keeps donating. :-P

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: February 16, 2009 11:36AM

Good point. Forgot about warmups. I was in the building but working my way around at the start of warmups. Did they definitely not play then?

Also--and trust me, this is painful for me to say--I think, musically, Harvard's Pep Band is now the best-sounding band in the league. They certainly lack pep and there is strength in numbers--they fill a whole damn section--but their arrangements (except Shipping Up To Boston and New World Symphony) are good, and the lot of them are clearly competent musically.

They're also creative. In the third, they did a pseudo-bagpipe rendition of Scotland the Brave that pretty well blew me away. The lower brass took on the drones and clarinets and flutes (not sure if the trumpets participated) played the melody. I could have done without the dancing that accompanied it, but damn, it sounded amazing. Meanwhile, we still have to hear Macho Man at every game.

Now, I wouldn't trade our band for any other. I'm sure Harvard's band is swimming in resources, while Cornell's instruments are held together with bubble gum and chicken wire. They do an amazing job with what they have. My annual Cornell donation is always earmarked for the Pep Band, and I'd encourage you to do the same, but it would also be nice if they blew me away from time to time, too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2009 01:02PM by CowbellGuy.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 11:43AM

The band did play love story when Harvard came out for warmups. They also definitely played it when they came out before the start of the game, but I didn't really pay attention when they came out for the 2nd period.

Date: February 16, 2009 12:59PM

sah67
Jordan 04
CU at Stanford

She didn't have the moral authority for the reaction, either - her low brass kept playing after play had resumed on a number of occasions. They played somewhat quietly, but it's still playing and still against the rules she was apparently so dander-raised about Cornell breaking. Their cowbell player is also a member of the pep band, and only played during game play, whilst ours plays only during breaks.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Dpperk29 (128.153.220.---)
Date: February 16, 2009 01:43PM

CowbellGuy
Now, I wouldn't trade our band for any other. I'm sure Harvard's band is swimming in resources, while Cornell's instruments are held together with bubble gum and chicken wire. They do an amazing job with what they have. My annual Cornell donation is always earmarked for the Pep Band, and I'd encourage you to do the same, but it would also be nice if they blew me away from time to time, too.

I think everyone assumes that the other school's band/team/whatever are better funded than your own.

Date: February 16, 2009 01:47PM

Dpperk29
CowbellGuy

I think everyone assumes that the other school's band/team/whatever are better funded than your own.

Most bands get money from their athletic department (especially Ivy bands), particularly for travel. Cornell's doesn't.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (128.153.220.---)
Date: February 16, 2009 02:04PM

Chris '03
Dpperk29
CowbellGuy

Most bands get money from their athletic department (especially Ivy bands), particularly for travel. Cornell's doesn't.

pretty sure the Clarkson band doesn't either, though daredevilCU has a much more in depth knowledge of this.

Posted by: BCrespi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 02:48PM

Dpperk29

Remember, we are talking about Harvard here.

Date: February 16, 2009 03:03PM

CowbellGuy
Also--and trust me, this is painful for me to say--I think, musically, Harvard's Pep Band is now the best-sounding band in the league. They certainly lack pep and there is strength in numbers--they fill a whole damn section--but their arrangements (except Shipping Up To Boston and New World Symphony) are good, and the lot of them are clearly competent musically.

Not to pile on, and not to be all "back in my day," but I have also noticed a certain lack of musical cohesion from our current, intrepid group of Hooligans with Horns.

Back in my day, we used to bring a tuner to the game and spend some of our downtime re-tuning. Is that still being done? If that practice has been allowed to fall by the wayside, it should be revived. Any half-good physicist (or physicist-musician) can tell you that constructive interference is much better than destructive interference when it comes to sound waves in musical performance.

(And find a tuner that can handle volume so that you can tune with a full, powerful blast on the horn. Tuning quietly has never helped anyone.)

Beyond that, you all should make sure that the parts are covered. There is a tendency for all the good players to gravitate toward 1st parts. You should strive for equality.

And, for god's sake, go back and revive some of the old rep. I heard "In the Stone" the other day, but when was the last time "Soul Man" was played? Also, remember that some songs are pep band songs, some songs are marching band songs, and some songs are both. Not every marching band tune from the last season (or previous seasons) needs to make its way into the pep band folder.

But don't bring back "Gospel John." Clavin will hate you.

Date: February 16, 2009 03:09PM

Scersk '97
CowbellGuy

Not to pile on, and not to be all "back in my day," but I have also noticed a certain lack of musical cohesion from our current, intrepid group of Hooligans with Horns.

Back in my day, we used to bring a tuner to the game and spend some of our downtime re-tuning. Is that still being done? If that practice has been allowed to fall by the wayside, it should be revived. Any half-good physicist (or physicist-musician) can tell you that constructive interference is much better than destructive interference when it comes to sound waves in musical performance.

(And find a tuner that can handle volume so that you can tune with a full, powerful blast on the horn. Tuning quietly has never helped anyone.)

Beyond that, you all should make sure that the parts are covered. There is a tendency for all the good players to gravitate toward 1st parts. You should strive for equality.

And, for god's sake, go back and revive some of the old rep. I heard "In the Stone" the other day, but when was the last time "Soul Man" was played? Also, remember that some songs are pep band songs, some songs are marching band songs, and some songs are both. Not every marching band tune from the last season (or previous seasons) needs to make its way into the pep band folder.

But don't bring back "Gospel John." Clavin will hate you.

Remind me again, where does "Jungle Love" fall?

While we're (or at least you) are being crotchety, when's the last time "Star" was played? I feel like I haven't heard that in ages.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (206.12.55.---)
Date: February 16, 2009 03:24PM

Chris '03
While we're (or at least you) are being crotchety, when's the last time "Star" was played? I feel like I haven't heard that in ages.
Yikes, I don't even remember how "Star" goes anymore... which suggests we stopped playing it sometime in the midst of my four years. Or that my memory is terrible.

Posted by: fink (206.54.98.---)
Date: February 16, 2009 03:43PM

Section A Banshee
Chris '03
Yikes, I don't even remember how "Star" goes anymore... which suggests we stopped playing it sometime in the midst of my four years. Or that my memory is terrible.

I know that we played it at [www.collegehockeystats.net]

I distinctly remember cocking up the final phrase in the solo with Lowell standing about 3 feet away. pain

Can't say whether it's been played since.

Date: February 16, 2009 03:44PM

Chris '03
Remind me again, where does "Jungle Love" fall?

I'll take "Arrangements Never Intended for the Marching Band" for $400, Alex.

As far as "Star" (not "Star!";) goes, I swear that I heard it a couple of weekends ago.

EDIT: And I guess that my ears didn't fail me.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2009 03:45PM by Scersk '97.

Date: February 16, 2009 03:50PM

So, basically, my memory is terrible. I can accept that. It's gonna drive me nuts all week, though. Time to go MP3 hunting.

Posted by: RichH (---.153.252.64.snet.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 04:29PM

Section A Banshee
So, basically, my memory is terrible. I can accept that. It's gonna drive me nuts all week, though. Time to go MP3 hunting.

"Solo in F" <> "Solo on F" Even though it still amuses me to do so.

Today on eLynah: band geeks hijack the forum.

Posted by: daredevilcu (---.dsl1.nrwc.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 05:13PM

Oh, I'm so using this whenever I get criticized for defending our band in Cheel. :-D

I got a huge kick out of the chicken wire and bubble gum comment, because I've honestly felt like the tuba I played was held together by exactly those things.

Date: February 16, 2009 06:12PM

RichH
Section A Banshee

"Solo in F" <> "Solo on F" Even though it still amuses me to do so.

Today on eLynah: band geeks hijack the forum.
Today? whistle

Yes, if Age hadn't already taken pity on me and passed along the MP3, "Solo on F" definitely would have brought the memory back. Hey, it's "spring" break up here in Canuckland; the brain's allowed to be on vacation.

Posted by: cth95 (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 06:25PM

I didn't see a Dartmouth postgame thread, so I'll throw my 2 cents in here while we are talking "band".

On the way out of Thompson Arena, two different Dartmouth fans told me how good our band was and how much fun it was to have them there. I asked why their band had to alternate with the piped-in music, and they told me that was because the band doesn't always show up. My wife, my friend, and I all got a good kick out of that one. I had noticed they didn't show up and set up until just before the game started.

I was seated just below and next to the Dartmouth band, so I was able to hear them clearly. Throughout the game, it was obvious they did not know much about hockey. When they finished playing while Barlow was down, I yelled to them that it was pretty low. They just looked at me with blank looks. After our 3rd goal they yelled that our fight song is really "Give my Regards to Broadway". I yelled back "At least our band gets to play after we score a goal!" Judging by the sudden quiet and stares, I think I hit a good nerve with that one.

The adult fans at Dartmouth were very respectful. Many of the students didn't show up until the 1st period was almost over. Other than "Let's go Dartmouth" and "Green" when we did "Red", the only cheers were Cornell or individual players suck. One kid kept yelling "Scrivens, you suck!" with a long "I" in Scrivens. I told him if he is going to insult a goalie, he should at least pronounce the name right. He kept doing it throughout the game. Even the older Dartmouth fans around us were saying it would be nice if the students would come up with more than "... Sucks!"

Re: The new line
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 07:58PM

lynah80
I think it's interesting that the new line, Greening-Gallagher-Devin, has been so successful with 4 goals in 2 games.

I think it indicates that maybe even I could score on a line with Greening.

Point taken on breaking up him and Nash, though. I don't know if that will last after MK returns, but it's great to have outstanding playmakers on the top two lines.

Then again, before Kennedy went down, there really wasn't any need to juggle the lines.

They need to finish with at least 6 points (7 would be great, since it would get them to 30), get the bye, heal, and then we'll see. If they have 20 wins heading into Albany, I think they have a great chance to win title number 12.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2009 08:01PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2009 09:05PM

cth95
Many of the students didn't show up until the 1st period was almost over.
In fact many of the locals didn't show up till late. After picking the kids up after school we knew we were going to be late. But to see people getting out of the buses and others walking when we were getting there was surprising. After all we missed 3 goals.

Posted by: daredevilcu (---.dsl1.nrwc.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 17, 2009 12:30AM

The first time I went to Dartmouth, it was downright eerie. The place was absolutely silent with the exception of our band, except when Dartmouth scored. Then the crowd would stand up, scream for 20 seconds, and sit back down again to watch in silence. I'm glad to hear it's gotten better.

The Dartmouth fans are some of the classiest around, and have always been extremely gracious and kind to the Clarkson band and fans, so I'm glad to hear that hasn't changed. Their arena staff sucks to work with though, they complain a lot if the band gets going quicker than they can get their DJ rolling. Plus they don't give a heads up for announcements (or didn't when I directed) and threaten to toss you when you play over them. Oops.

From what I understood in talking with the arena staff that didn't suck, Dartmouth's band trades off with the hockey and basketball teams, so that's why they can't always make it.

Date: February 17, 2009 09:39AM

daredevilcu
From what I understood in talking with the arena staff that didn't suck, Dartmouth's band trades off with the hockey and basketball teams, so that's why they can't always make it.

My experience with bands like DC and PU for hockey was that they'd pretty much only show if another band was coming. The PU band might be big enough to cover two games at the same time (as Cornell's does with regularity) but DC's is most certainly not big enough.

Re: The new line
Posted by: Give My Regards (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2009 12:53PM

Trotsky
They need to finish with at least 6 points (7 would be great, since it would get them to 30), get the bye, heal, and then we'll see.

As mentioned on another thread, five points would be enough to get the bye, assuming St. Lawrence doesn't help out by blowing a game down the stretch. Still, with home games against Union and RPI remaining, plus a visit to Brown, five (or more) points is not an impossible task.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: February 18, 2009 07:59AM

Beeeej
CU at Stanford

They did, twice.

Was the first time when the team came out for warmups? I heard it pre-game but noticed its absence before the second. (There is no pre-third-period Love Story, of course, because of Gonna Fly Now and Gary Glitter.)

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: February 18, 2009 08:04AM

jtwcornell91
Beeeej
CU at Stanford

They did, twice.

Was the first time when the team came out for warmups? I heard it pre-game but noticed its absence before the second. (There is no pre-third-period Love Story, of course, because of Gonna Fly Now and Gary Glitter.)

That's what I was wondering about. It seems lately they've stopped playing it before the second for whatever reason. I didn't notice this time one way or the other but noticed it's absence in at least one prior H game.

Posted by: Lowell '99 (---.c3-0.nmex-ubr1.lnh-nmex.md.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 18, 2009 02:29PM

Mark me down in the column "Old People Who Think It's GOOD That The Band Now Plays Some Different Music Than It Did When I Was There, Because That Was Over Ten Fucking Years Ago!"

Although I do loves me some Soul Man. 'Cuz I got soul.

And Scott, while it did jump bands, at least Silverado has been revived.

Date: February 18, 2009 03:34PM

Lowell '99
Mark me down in the column "Old People Who Think It's GOOD That The Band Now Plays Some Different Music Than It Did When I Was There, Because That Was Over Ten Fucking Years Ago!"

Although I do loves me some Soul Man. 'Cuz I got soul.

And Scott, while it did jump bands, at least Silverado has been revived.

Bah, there's nothing wrong with new stuff, as long as it pushes out old stuff that's bad (for example, "Emerald Eyes";) instead of old stuff that's good ("Boogie Down";).

"Silverado" jumping bands is a net good, but if "Throwdown" ever jumps bands, "I'm comin' outta da booth!"

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: February 18, 2009 04:41PM

I still miss Tequila. It was rousing, and it got the crowd to make noise.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.ospd.ca.gov)
Date: February 19, 2009 03:41PM

cbuckser
All in all, I see no reason to panic. The team has played well in each of its three recent losses. Frankly, the team wasn't playing appreciably better during the 13-1-3 start. The team had plenty of defensive lapses during those first 17 games and sometimes had trouble lighting the lamp. Cornell was fortunate to lose only one of those games, and has been unlucky to lose the last three.

At risk of tooting my own horn, it seems from this article that the team isn't freaking out over the three-game losing streak.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login