Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell-Princeton Post-game

Posted by Jim Hyla 
Cornell-Princeton Post-game
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2009 12:26AM

OK, I'm tired of flipping through the game line to get to post-game, so I'll start this.

A few points:

1. At the end of the season this will be the game we look back on.
2. If we don't get our second line back, it'll be a long, or short, rest of the year.
3. I don't think I've ever said this but I'm afraid Coach made a big mistake leading to this loss. Having our top line out at the end was a big mistake, IMHO. They played great throughout the game but were tired. Riley is atrocious on face-offs and the guys were just too tired. I don't know why he had them on for the first P goal, say nothing about why they stayed on after that.
4. Overall, especially considering what players we had, I think this was the best game in a couple of weeks. If the Kennedys get back, and the rest of the team plays like this we could be OK.
5. Let's see everybody at Dartmouth. First vs. second is good, but so is second vs. third, and I sure as hell don't want to be fourth.

Re: Cornell-Princeton Post-game
Posted by: lynah80 (---.MED.UPENN.EDU)
Date: February 08, 2009 03:36AM

Jim Hyla
3. I don't think I've ever said this but I'm afraid Coach made a big mistake leading to this loss. Having our top line out at the end was a big mistake, IMHO. They played great throughout the game but were tired. Riley is atrocious on face-offs and the guys were just too tired. I don't know why he had them on for the first P goal, say nothing about why they stayed on after that.

I agree that the first line should not have been on the ice after the EA goal. Schafer should have accepted that the game was going to be decided in OT. For the EA goal, Barlow, B. Nash, R Nash, Mugford, and Seminoff were on the ice, so things were set up somewhat like a PK. Psychologically and physically, those guys were ready for a breather. The first line pressed into the Princeton end after the face off and didn't have enough energy to keep up with the Princeton rush after they lost control of the puck. Seminoff was clearly not thinking conservatively when he pinched in.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2009 03:54AM by lynah80.

Posted by: lynah80 (---.MED.UPENN.EDU)
Date: February 08, 2009 04:07AM

This is from the CBR website:

"That score would hold up for the next 18 seconds until the Tigers broke out on a rush out of their own zone. Princeton's Kevin Lohry sprung Taylor Fedun on a break, who passed across the ice to Kevin Kaiser. Kaiser got the puck in deep and sent a pass to Fedun, who roofed a shot over Scrivens for the game-winner."

I don't think this guy went to the game.

This is what I saw:

With the score tied 1-1, Cornell pressed into the Princeton end after the center ice face off. It looked like they didn't want the game to go into OT. Seminoff pinched in and fell down when he was fighting for the puck along the half-wall with Lohry. None of the Cornell forwards were in a position to drop back to cover for him. Once Lohry worked the puck away from Seminoff and out to Kaiser at the blue line, the Big Red was in trouble. Lohry took off for the net with Fedun. Kaiser made a great neutral ice pass to Fedun, who passed the puck to Lohry near the Cornell blue line. Justin Krueger was the only defenseman back, and he fell. Lohry skated to the glove side of the net and Scrivens followed him. He passed the puck across the slot to Fedun. Greening intercepted the pass and tried to clear, but unfortunately, he put it right on Fedun's stick. Scrivens didn't have time to react and was still on the other side of the net. Fedun had an open net to shoot at and he poked in a low shot.

I can't remember a previous Cornell game when two goals were scored in the last minute by an opponent.
Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2009 03:01PM by lynah80.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2009 04:49AM

Despite the seemingly unreal record that Schafer teams have held when leading after two, sometimes you just can't hold that slim lead. Princeton is a strong team and they weren't going to go quietly. Like in Friday night's game, we had plenty of chances and lots of PPs. It's our own fault for not having built a larger lead by that point in the game.

Obviously this game sucks for the standings, PWR, etc., but you have to play the full 60 minutes. We let go in the last minute.

We'll see what happens next weekend. It's always a tough roadtrip, but I'd love to see us come out firing to make up for what happened tonight. Whatever happens now, a strong push through the conference tournament can put us right where we want for NCAAs.

Lastly, for the handful of morons who started jangling their keys with one minute left, let this be a lesson to you.

Let's beat the Big Green. See you in Hanover.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2009 10:31AM

Just watched the tying goal again, very painfully. Reminded me of Dean Talafous's last seconds tying goal in the 1973 NCAA semifinal. The Princeton kid was left alone in front of the net, while four of our guys mucked along the boards to Scrivens's left.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2009 10:44AM

Mistakes all around. It happens, and one time in a thousand it happens at a terrible time. Still, better now than in the final minute of an NCAA QF.

Lessons are painful, but they pay for themselves many times over -- if they are learned.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2009 10:46AM

lynah80
I can't remember a previous Cornell game when two goals were scored in the last minute by an opponent.
I do remember the same thing happening during a home game against Brown my freshman year, back in 1974. Only in that case, I believe that only enabled Brown to tie the game and we lost it in OT. I recall seeing our goalie drinking beer out of his shoe in the Chapter House later that night.
In any case, how we bounce back from this devastating defeat will be a true test of the character of this team.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2009 11:34AM

The GWG reminded me of Zach Greer in Baltimore. The helpless feeling that this wasn't going to end well.

The good news is that they outplayed a very good PU team for 55 minutes without their second line. The final score stings but the rest of the game inspired some confidence for a possible playoff game down the road.

Four goals, one at even strength, in four games doesn't inspire a ton of confidence though.

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2009 12:00PM

dbilmes
lynah80
I do remember the same thing happening during a home game against Brown my freshman year, back in 1974. Only in that case, I believe that only enabled Brown to tie the game and we lost it in OT. I recall seeing our goalie drinking beer out of his shoe in the Chapter House later that night.
In any case, how we bounce back from this devastating defeat will be a true test of the character of this team.

You remember the same game I do. December 7, 1974, Cornell with a 3-1 lead with under a minute to play. Brown scores at 19:05, Cornell takes a penalty at 19:20, Brown ties the score with a PPG at 19:26, Brown gets the game-winner at 8:34 of OT (they played 10-minute overtimes back then).

Posted by: HockeyMan (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2009 12:54PM

Painful result. But maybe in one respect not so shocking. Four goals in four games ain't gonna to get it done. Not late in the season and not later in the playoffs. You're too dependent on hot goaltending, too dependent on getting breaks.

As was said on the game thread, we showed precious little up front down the stretch. I understand playing to protect a lead in the third (though one could argue about whether it's sound strategy), I understand the need to clamp down defensively. But we've got to be able to show more than this, even if the Kennedys are missing.

You get what you get in a Schafer system. It's a about disciplined, defensively-oriented hockey, and eking out tough low-scoring wins. But I worry. I worried when we scraped by a middling Niagara team in two homes games (getting two very late goals in one of them to inflate the margin), and I worry now.

Posted by: gonyr (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2009 09:25PM

This felt like a real gut-punch. The game seemed well in hand, if a bit tight. Cornell was definitely carrying play for the first 50 minutes. Even after the first Princeton goal, it seemed like OT, and probably a tie, was fairly well assured. Then, instant flashback to the undergrad years and that horrible empty feeling in the pit of my stomach.

This ends my personal four year winning streak. Of course, I only get to one or two games a year. One bright note for the trip: I sold my extra tickets to BCrespi from this forum (who I had never met), and he was good enough to phone and give me a heads-up about the delayed start for the game. The Faithful are good people. I'd bet the bar in the Statler did a month's worth of business in 90 minutes.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2009 10:08PM

Why was it delayed?

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2009 10:52PM

French Rage
Why was it delayed?
Princeton's bus broke down on the long, arduous trip from Hamilton to Ithaca.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2009 12:43AM

Al DeFlorio
French Rage
Why was it delayed?

As long as they don't use some BS "forget their jerseys" excuse.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2009 01:00AM

Al DeFlorio
French Rage
Why was it delayed?

Yeah, and I'm kinda disappointed how the Faithful handled this. First, kudos to the ticket-takers for doing a solid job at informing everyone about the delay and what time they expected the game to actually start.

That said, there were tons of people milling about in the field house lobby and outside, trying to figure out what to do. Well, this was a hecklers dream! Plenty of time for everyone to get there. An amusing reason why they were late! It's too bad A & B wasn't full when Princeton came out for warm-ups, but it's REALLY lame that there was no noise coming from anybody but the bands. A half-full B just sat there politely. No sarcastic "HEY, LOOK EVERYONE! Princeton's here!! Nice of you to show up, Princeton!" There was no "It's not like we had any plans or anything! Why don't you take you sweet TIME to warm up!" No "Whassamatter, I thought New Jersey was FULL of bus mechanics!" No "Prince-ton rides the shooooort bus!" chants. This was a situation ripe for creativity and humor. The only thing that happened was the CU band led a brief "Sieve" chant as PU emerged from their locker room.

Yeah, yeah...this is going to turn into another "in my day" rant, but

*inhale*

IN MY DAY A & B were packed by 30 minutes prior to game time. The pre-game warm-up heckle session was a sacred part of the night, and it was the time for individual fans to shine and show off their creativity and ranting skills. In between band songs, there was a constant din letting the opponents have it.

And if the band were given an hour of basically down time...we'd empty the folder. Play anything and everything we could find to give the good fans whose night were inconvenienced some entertainment. Both bands sorta picked their butts for a while.

The only people shouting I could hear were the girls selling "$5 t-shirts!" out in the concourse. I know this generation has decided that showing up 5 minutes after the game starts is the new status quo. Whatever, that's your time. But when you're already there with nothing to do, would you rather stand around the sidewalk outside, or sit around our venerable old rink and make something fun out of it?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2009 01:02AM by RichH.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2009 01:12AM

gonyr
This felt like a real gut-punch. The game seemed well in hand, if a bit tight. Cornell was definitely carrying play for the first 50 minutes. Even after the first Princeton goal, it seemed like OT, and probably a tie, was fairly well assured. Then, instant flashback to the undergrad years and that horrible empty feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Know what this felt like to me? Has anyone ever played the EA Sports NHL video games? You know when you're playing a season at a level too easy for your skill and you go on some ridiculous winning streak? And then the AI engine basically picks some game where YOU ARE NOT GOING TO WIN and all of a sudden whatever team you're playing turns into the '84 Oilers and they score 4 goals in the last 20 seconds as you scream "WTF?" and there's nothing you can do to stop them? That's what I felt like at the end buzzer.

We played well and controlled play, but oh, that last minute. Shake it off, tip your hat to Princeton, and be thankful this didn't happen in the playoffs. Learn from it and get ready for Dartmouth and Harvard.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 09, 2009 08:33AM

RichH
Know what this felt like to me?
To me it felt like the first game of the 1991 NCAA QF at Michigan. Except we were on the other side.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: February 09, 2009 10:31AM

RichH

*inhale*

IN MY DAY A & B were packed by 30 minutes prior to game time. The pre-game warm-up heckle session was a sacred part of the night, and it was the time for individual fans to shine and show off their creativity and ranting skills. In between band songs, there was a constant din letting the opponents have it.

And if the band were given an hour of basically down time...we'd empty the folder. Play anything and everything we could find to give the good fans whose night were inconvenienced some entertainment. Both bands sorta picked their butts for a while.

The only people shouting I could hear were the girls selling "$5 t-shirts!" out in the concourse. I know this generation has decided that showing up 5 minutes after the game starts is the new status quo. Whatever, that's your time. But when you're already there with nothing to do, would you rather stand around the sidewalk outside, or sit around our venerable old rink and make something fun out of it?
And get off Rich's lawn!

:-D

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: February 09, 2009 10:56AM

Josh '99
RichH

*inhale*

And get off Rich's lawn!

I was too tired to shake my fist. And I ran out of Geritol.

Posted by: BCrespi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 09, 2009 11:39AM

gonyr

This ends my personal four year winning streak. Of course, I only get to one or two games a year. One bright note for the trip: I sold my extra tickets to BCrespi from this forum (who I had never met), and he was good enough to phone and give me a heads-up about the delayed start for the game. The Faithful are good people. I'd bet the bar in the Statler did a month's worth of business in 90 minutes.

My pleasure. Sorry your streak had to end this way, but at least the beer afterwards was still cold...

Date: February 09, 2009 12:07PM

RichH
Josh '99
RichH

*inhale*

And get off Rich's lawn!

I bet you think there are too many states nowadays.

Posted by: RichH (155.104.37.---)
Date: February 09, 2009 12:28PM

Josh '99
RichH
Josh '99
RichH

*inhale*

And get off Rich's lawn!

[snltranscripts.jt.org]

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.crh.noaa.gov)
Date: February 09, 2009 04:37PM

RichH
Know what this felt like to me? Has anyone ever played the EA Sports NHL video games? You know when you're playing a season at a level too easy for your skill and you go on some ridiculous winning streak? And then the AI engine basically picks some game where YOU ARE NOT GOING TO WIN and all of a sudden whatever team you're playing turns into the '84 Oilers and they score 4 goals in the last 20 seconds as you scream "WTF?" and there's nothing you can do to stop them? That's what I felt like at the end buzzer.

We played well and controlled play, but oh, that last minute. Shake it off, tip your hat to Princeton, and be thankful this didn't happen in the playoffs. Learn from it and get ready for Dartmouth and Harvard.

The "No effing way" game? Where they start ripping one timers in from beyond the blue line, pick off every pass, impossible to check, etc.

I'm not going to lie, I was looking for a reset button after the Princeton game.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: February 09, 2009 07:15PM

Josh '99
RichH
Josh '99
RichH

*inhale*

And get off Rich's lawn!

P.S. I am not a crackpot.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2009 10:17AM

Trotsky
To me it felt like the first game of the 1991 NCAA QF at Michigan. Except we were on the other side.

I don't have a box score, but to me it felt like some sort of karmic payback for when the Big Red did something similar to Brown in November of '97. Cornell was down 3-2 very late in the third period, but pulled their goaltender and tied the game, then got the game-winner about 20 seconds later. That last goal came with about a minute left, and Brown spent that minute with their net empty, but didn't get the equalizer.

I also remember a game between Vermont and some western opponent (Minnesota? Minnesota-Duluth?) a couple years earlier, in which the opponent was ahead 1-0 very late, but during a scramble in front of their net, a defenseman dove on the puck in the crease or something, and Vermont got themselves a penalty shot with ONE SECOND LEFT in regulation. One of the elves converted it, and Vermont went on to win in OT. Talk about a stomach punch.

Date: February 10, 2009 10:25AM

Give My Regards
I don't have a box score, but to me it felt like some sort of karmic payback for when the Big Red did something similar to Brown in November of '97. Cornell was down 3-2 very late in the third period, but pulled their goaltender and tied the game, then got the game-winner about 20 seconds later. That last goal came with about a minute left, and Brown spent that minute with their net empty, but didn't get the equalizer.
Immortalized on the Live At Lynah CD. And if anything Saturday was karmic payback for all the holding Cornell got away with on that play.

Box score

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: February 10, 2009 11:50AM

Josh '99
Give My Regards
Immortalized on the Live At Lynah CD. And if anything Saturday was karmic payback for all the holding Cornell got away with on that play.

Box score

As the box score shows, we were down 3-1 with five minutes left in that game.

The most memorable ECAC comeback I can recall happened the night Vermont cancelled their season: RPI was up 2-0 with a few minutes late at Union, and going on the power play. Union scored short-handed, then pulled the goalie at tied it up in the last minute, and won in overtime. (That was back when everyone had free radio on the internet, and I had switched over to WRPI after the Cornell game ended at about 3:30am Switzerland time. Kurt Stutt summed it up: "I'm absolutely stunned. I think I got hit by an
orange.";)

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 10, 2009 12:03PM

Give My Regards
I also remember a game between Vermont and some western opponent (Minnesota? Minnesota-Duluth?) a couple years earlier, in which the opponent was ahead 1-0 very late, but during a scramble in front of their net, a defenseman dove on the puck in the crease or something, and Vermont got themselves a penalty shot with ONE SECOND LEFT in regulation. One of the elves converted it, and Vermont went on to win in OT. Talk about a stomach punch.

On 2/22/99 there was a WHL game where Portland was out in Medicine Hat. Portland's Todd Robinson won a game with a penalty shot late. The next night in Lethbridge, he drew another penalty shot in overtime and won the game. The home fans showered the ice with garbage.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2009 12:06PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2009 08:19AM

Jim Hyla
OK, I'm tired of flipping through the game line to get to post-game, so I'll start this.

A few points:

I have thought so too, but last night's turn of events really helps take the sting out of that loss. Of course had we beaten Prineton maybe we do somehow win first place, or maybe it still hurts us in PWR, etc., but I'm just glad that dispiriting finish did not leave us in third, which IMHO would be a far tougher position than the 2-hole.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2009 08:57AM

scoop85
Jim Hyla

A few points:

I have thought so too, but last night's turn of events really helps take the sting out of that loss. Of course had we beaten Prineton maybe we do somehow win first place, or maybe it still hurts us in PWR, etc., but I'm just glad that dispiriting finish did not leave us in third, which IMHO would be a far tougher position than the 2-hole.
Agree with all your comments. It's far nicer to see Princeton have some of the same problems we had. Maybe now the team can look back upon that game to push further, especially if we meet in Albany. But I'm glad that most people have probably forgotten what I said.:-}

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login