Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 2 Quinnipiac 1 (Postgame Thread)

Posted by Trotsky 
Cornell 2 Quinnipiac 1 (Postgame Thread)
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 06, 2009 10:08PM

Well. That didn't suck.

The last time Cornell scored in overtime was also against Quinnipiac.

Re: Cornell 2 Quinnipiac 1 (Postgame Thread)
Posted by: lynah80 (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 06, 2009 10:17PM

The slash by Leitch must have been blatant for it to be called in OT by the asst ref. It's not shown on the Redcast video.

After the game, Quinnipiac (i.e. Pecknold) was given a 2 minute USC, plus a game misconduct. I wonder if that will have any impact for the game against Colgate.

The second PP unit needs to get the Kennedy brothers back asap.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2009 10:38PM by lynah80.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2009 11:14PM

lynah80
The slash by Leitch must have been blatant for it to be called in OT by the asst ref. It's not shown on the Redcast video.
It was stupid. He slashed us at the end of a play, right against the boards and timekeeper area (ACM). It was blocked from view of much of the ice by the players, but it was blatant and shall I say it again, stupid. I was talking to dentist Dr. Stephen Hand during the game and he said that Coach said at the luncheon that Q has a good PK because they get so much experience. They are now ahead of RIP in PIM.

After the game, Quinnipiac (i.e. Pecknold) was given a 2 minute USC, plus a game misconduct. I wonder if that will have any impact for the game against Colgate.
Misconduct, not disqualification, so no.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2009 11:24PM

I agree the slash was both stupid and blatant. And easily, (particularly in an OT game,) could have been a no-call.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2009 11:39PM

I thought I heard it announced as a game DQ.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: February 07, 2009 12:00AM

It was a DQ, but according to the aforementioned ACM, it doesn't have any direct effect on whether he'll be behind the bench tomorrow. It's up to the league to take any potential disciplinary actions.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2009 12:14AM

All the box score sites list it as TEAM Game Misconduct. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Date: February 07, 2009 01:01AM

Pecknold = Q coach

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2009 01:06AM

Everything's sweeter when you win. Going into OT, I resigned myself to accepting the tie. Even though Nicholls and Joe Devin played well tonight, the Kennedy Bros were sorely missed in terms of offensive chemistry. The crowd, which was pretty bored and quiet through most of the game, finally woke up a bit and pumped the volume up in the last few minutes of the 3rd and OT. This game should help boost team morale after the last few clunkers.

After games like this, it's always great to sing the Schafer Beer Victory Song, then go home and have a couple of beers--preferably "more than one". The crowd doesn't join in with the band on this number like they used to in the "old" days, like '05-'06.

Date: February 07, 2009 01:20AM

NCAA PIM/GP leaders 2/6/09

21.72 Ferris State #1
21.04 Minnesota
20.96 Rensselaer #3
20.59 Minn. St.
20.44 Quinnipiac #5
20.21 Miami
19.93 Wisconsin
19.92 Alaska-Anchorage
19.28 Mercyhurst
19.21 Michigan

---------------

13.45 Cornell
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2009 01:23AM by lynah80.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2009 02:58AM

With the kind of season we've been having, this is a game we should definitely win. A relatively mediocre team at home in the second half of the season. In that respect, this isn't anything exciting.

But, when you come from behind to win in OT, after struggling the last two weekends, this is a significant win.

The team came out a little flat, but the first Q goal was a little bit of a fluke. Big screen on Scrivens and from my seat I had a perfect view of the corner of the net that was open. The Q kid had a perfect shot into that corner. Hard to blame Ben.

The turning point in the game happened a couple minutes later, when Q had a breakaway that Scrivens stopped. The crowd got back into the game and it was still only a 1-0 deficit.

This was the best I've seen Punches play, and Gallagher had another strong game. Barlow really turned it on towards the end of the game and it was great to see him rewarded. Collins will develop into a Greening-type player within a couple years.

Riley Nash needs to pass more.

Scrivens settled down pretty nicely. Maybe the early goal took some pressure off him because he doesn't have to preserve a shutout? Just speculating. As people pointed out in the game thread, he made a great side-to-side save when the game was 1-1 that really fired up the crowd.

Any word on why Scali was out?

Breakout play was much stronger tonight than last weekend. It might have been because Q wasn't putting in much of an effort on the forecheck, giving our guys more room than they had against SLU(t).

I know this isn't a team of pure scorers, but we have to work on getting pucks through to the net. While in previous years I'd be thinking "shoot...shoot" in my head during the pp, this year it's more like "wait...wait." We're forcing a lot of poor shots that go straight into the opposing player up high. Accuracy is still a problem. Our guys on the point had some downright comical shots that missed the net by a good 10 feet.

We had some gifts from the officials tonight. Ten powerplays, including a couple nice ones towards the end of the 3rd and the deciding pp in OT. Considering the amount of time we spent on the man advantage, this was a must-win game. PPs looked good in the 1st and went downhill after, with one of the 3rd period PPs resulting in zero shots. We're not always going to get those big opportunities.

I'm praying for no letdown against P tomorrow. Maybe some more students will show up to the game.

Posted by: amerks127 (86.219.155.---)
Date: February 07, 2009 05:35AM

Trotsky
Well. That didn't suck.

The last time Cornell scored in overtime was also against Quinnipiac.

TBRW
02/01/08 Colin Greening Brown 1:03

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Greening score his OT goal against Colgate, not Brown, when he split the D, was hauled down, but still scored?

Posted by: lhayes (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2009 07:32AM

In his interview with Jason before the game, Shafer said Scali was injured, along with both Kennedys.

I clearly heard ACM announce just after the game winner that the penalty on Q's coach was a misconduct (not a DQ).

I agree with others, Punches played his heart out last night.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2009 10:07AM

ebilmes

Looks to me like he's almost always looking to pass. He's just being very selective and possibly giving the other team's defense too much credit. He may be better off just shooting more than holding holding holding waiting for the perfect passing lane to materialize.

Posted by: redice (---.154.218.94.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: February 07, 2009 10:21AM

lhayes
I clearly heard ACM announce just after the game winner that the penalty on Q's coach was a misconduct (not a DQ).

That's the way I heard it, as well. I question the purpose of such a penalty. The only benefit that I can see is that, if it's part of a pattern by this coach, it's documented for purposes of doling out punishment.

Posted by: CUontheslopes (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2009 10:45AM

I'm sorry but I've never heard the crowd join in the song unless it's sort of humming along on their way out of the rink. Of course my knowledge only goes back to '03, but most people think of that as a nice background sound while walking of of the rink.

Posted by: profudge (---.dsl2.nor.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 07, 2009 10:46AM

Jim and Andy, completely agree that was a blatant slash in OT -

As I saw it (Section N and had a good angle on the whole incident) there was the usual bumping and 'I'm the man' type mild push in passing, after the whistle. Riley (I think) pushed the Q. player who skated in front of him as he tried to exit the Q bench area after the whistle, and then Leetch turned partially around and slashed (R. Nash I think across back of leg) Refs couldn't see it due to players heading to and entering ice from the Q. bench. Luckily we had some good officials (relatively speaking) and the asst. ref. quickly moved to prevent a real confrontation and then turned to the ref and told him it was clearly a penalty.

Comments on rest of game - We had two solid crossbars at our end of rink where Q. Keeper was clearly beaten and at least 2 saves I commented to my wife were really great by the Q. young keeper, I liked our offensive chances - I just did not like our lack of passing control much of night on PP when we seemed to throw the puck away a few too many times.

Impressed with Punches hustle and some good PK time. Also was impressed with Jordan Kary He hustled and was strong on boards and made some really good plays.

Seemed to me that Riley N. received some extremely rough treatment by Q. and much of it was not whistled. Although saw a B.Nash elbow and a Greening clear interference that we got away with so probably evens out in the end.

As usual Greening-Riley-Evan are by far our best line! Kudos to all three.

Q. came out moving fast and really hustling and we did not respond to that level of hustle for a better of the first period. And Q. was missing 3 of their best players also!

Re: Cornell 2 Quinnipiac 1 (Postgame Thread) - sportscenter
Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2009 10:55AM

Folks in DC watching ESPN said Scrivens's glove save on the breakaway was a ESPN play of the day. Anyone confirm/see video on it?

Posted by: mha (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2009 11:11AM

We're singing. Why aren't you? :-)

Posted by: mha (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2009 11:12AM

Sounds about right. Arthur called it a "red flag" to make the league aware there was an issue.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2009 12:08PM

CUontheslopes
I'm sorry but I've never heard the crowd join in the song unless it's sort of humming along on their way out of the rink. Of course my knowledge only goes back to '03, but most people think of that as a nice background sound while walking of of the rink.

There are definitely more people singing now than a couple years ago, it seems. I didn't know the words until last year but I'm not the only one who sings.

Posted by: ugarte (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 07, 2009 12:15PM

profudge
As I saw it (Section N and had a good angle ...
I'll take your word for it. You people in N see everything.

Date: February 07, 2009 02:07PM

ebilmes
I know this isn't a team of pure scorers, but we have to work on getting pucks through to the net. While in previous years I'd be thinking "shoot...shoot" in my head during the pp, this year it's more like "wait...wait." We're forcing a lot of poor shots that go straight into the opposing player up high. Accuracy is still a problem. Our guys on the point had some downright comical shots that missed the net by a good 10 feet.

Cornell needs to get the Kennedy's back to strengthen the second PP unit.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2009 05:30PM by lynah80.

Posted by: ansky629 (67.194.208.---)
Date: February 07, 2009 02:20PM

Actually, I watched RedCast last night and the slash was on there and it was pretty blatant. Right after the whistle blew, Leitch turned around and slashed the Cornell player (can't remember who - maybe R. Nash) right across the wrist(?). 2 refs were looking right at it, which made it seem strange that it was the assistant ref was the one who called it. However, it looked to me like something that had to be called.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2009 02:25PM by ansky629.

Posted by: HockeyMan (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2009 02:32PM

ansky629
Actually, I watched RedCast last night and the slash was on there and it was pretty blatant. Right after the whistle blew, Leitch turned around and slashed the Cornell player (can't remember who - maybe R. Nash) right across the wrist(?). 2 refs were looking right at it, which made it seem strange that it was the assistant ref was the one who called it. However, it looked to me like something that had to be called.

From my vantage point in section L, maybe 25 feet away, it looked like a no-call to me. A penalty in regulation, maybe, but not in OT.

Posted by: semsox (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2009 02:38PM

From B, it looked like an odd play. Leitch turned around and looked like he was trying to slam his stick down on the ice in frustration (he lifted it up pretty high, and brought it down like an axe, but he wasn't even looking in the direction where he was bringing it down). I don't know if I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, but I don't even think he saw the Red player there until it was too late. I think that's why the call was rather delayed too, because it was obviously a slash but looked unintentional.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2009 06:18PM

amerks127
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Greening score his OT goal against Colgate, not Brown, when he split the D, was hauled down, but still scored?
You're right. I should have followed my own link.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.crh.noaa.gov)
Date: February 07, 2009 10:53PM

ugarte
profudge
As I saw it (Section N and had a good angle ...
I'll take your word for it. You people in N see everything.

whistle

Posted by: BCrespi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 09, 2009 11:49AM

Chris '03
ebilmes

Looks to me like he's almost always looking to pass. He's just being very selective and possibly giving the other team's defense too much credit. He may be better off just shooting more than holding holding holding waiting for the perfect passing lane to materialize.

I completely agree. These are the first two games I've seen in person since @ Princeton and Riley does some amazing things. However, I would say that he needs to shoot more. Perhaps he needs to pass more as well, when the real aim should just be to stick-handle and wait less. His shot looks like it could be good enough to fire off when passing in front of a screen, which inevitably presents itself when he cuts to the middle. A few more good shots on net in those situations (instead of losing the puck after being double-teamed in the slot) could result into goals caused by the screen, or at least rebounds.

That all said, the top line, and Riley, did play well this weekend and seemed to be on the ice every other shift. Impressive stuff, but I can't wait for the Kennedys to come back. Lets hope that's sooner rather than later.

Q-Pac guy goes down memory lane....
Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2009 02:32PM

Guy trying to ease the pain of OT loss by bringing back his '07 trip to ECAC quarters in Lynah:

MinniQUFan post #653

While we're on the QU/Cornell subject,

I have glorious memories of Ithaca.

Memories include:
2 game sweep at Lynah.
The Collegetown bars
Cornell house party talking garbage to Cornell fans
Sleeping... (Keeping this comment clean)... ahem... sharing a bed with the girlfriend of one of the Cornell hockey players... said player will go unnamed.

True story.

Whatever gets you through the night. I guess.flipd

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login