Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Alumni in the Pros - February 2009

Posted by Rita 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Shane Hynes?
Posted by: ftyuv (---.techtarget.com)
Date: February 18, 2009 12:57PM

JDeafv
Shane Hynes is back at Cornell finishing his degree, his professional hockey career is over.
Did something happen to him, or did he just decide to try and make it elsewhere?

Posted by: KenP (---.nws.noaa.gov)
Date: February 18, 2009 04:05PM

Knee injury. [elf.elynah.com]

Date: February 18, 2009 04:29PM

Ah, thanks! That's weird, I did a search, but my eyes must have skipped over it.

Re: Alumni in the Pros - February 2009
Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: February 18, 2009 04:36PM

Josh '99
Rita
sah67
San Jose and Edmonton are currently in the second period tied at 2, and Douglas Murray picked up an assist on Patrick Marleau's game-tying goal.
That was also Marleau's 600 career goal.
600th career point, you mean.

Oops. I know Marleau has been playing awhile and a more than decent offensive player, but not that good.

Btw, that was Murray's 6th assist of the season (and 20th NHL point).

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 18, 2009 10:12PM

KenP
Knee injury. [elf.elynah.com]
That 2005 knee injury knocked him out for the balance of the 2005-2006 season. He came back and played the following year before suffering an injury, and again in 2007-2008. My compliments to him for returning to school! It also explains why he doesn't show up in the alumni directory. (You don't have to graduate to be in the alumni directory.)

Posted by: BMac (96.53.158.---)
Date: February 18, 2009 10:36PM

I know it's not the pros, but I caught a Fort McMurray Oil Barons Vs. St. Albert Steel game last week, and saw our friend Jordan Berk :-)

Posted by: pfibiger (---.sip.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 19, 2009 01:01PM

Ray Sawada has been recalled to the Stars:

[starsblog.dallasnews.com]

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: February 19, 2009 01:59PM

RatushnyFan
'08-'09: This year at various points we've had Moulson, Vesce (per the article above), Bitz, Murray and O'Byrne. That's 5. Hopefully Iggulden gets a shot. 6 would be the record.
pfibiger

That's 6. Come on NYI, make it 7!

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: February 19, 2009 02:33PM

Not a bad birthday gift for Ray.

Posted by: Karlmoose (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2009 03:40PM

Hopefully a nice gift for Dallas, too. They've been hit big time by the injury bug. Sawada may not be Brendan Morrow or Brad Richards, but players in their first game as a Star have had some incredible performances lately (Fabian Brunnstrom, Mark Parrish, Richards, etc.). Best of luck to him. I've been wearing his jersey at Cornell games for four years now.

Posted by: Brian (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2009 08:20PM

ugarte
RatushnyFan
'08-'09: This year at various points we've had Moulson, Vesce (per the article above), Bitz, Murray and O'Byrne. That's 5. Hopefully Iggulden gets a shot. 6 would be the record.
pfibiger

You forgot the important part, Happy B-Day Raymond!

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2009 09:04PM

Great first shift by Ray - what a birthday present. Always a thrill to see Cornell players living the dream!!!

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2009 09:10PM

SCORE!!!!!!!!!!! Ray scores for Dallas on a nice backhand shot. Even a better birthday present in his first NHL game.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: February 19, 2009 09:24PM

Way to go Ray. Dallas is just decimated with injuries, who would have thought that 5 AHL goals in 48 games would have justified a ticket to Dallas? I wasn't thinking that he'd be the next alumnus (happy?) called up. Congrats, I hope he sticks.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: February 19, 2009 09:35PM

Larry72
SCORE!!!!!!!!!!! Ray scores for Dallas on a nice backhand shot. Even a better birthday present in his first NHL game.

Worked out a lot better than Ross Lemon's birthday. uhoh

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 19, 2009 10:52PM

jtwcornell91
Larry72

Thanks for the bad memory.

Date: February 19, 2009 11:38PM

Larry72

And the Dallas Stars "Star of the Game" with 1 G, 1 Block shot, and 3 hits.

A happy birthday indeed. banana

Posted by: cth95 (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2009 11:51PM

Rita

A happy birthday indeed. banana

I guess so. Check out this reaction.

[espn.go.com]

And he even gets to wear his old number IIRC.

Posted by: cbuckser (76.245.105.---)
Date: February 20, 2009 12:07AM

RatushnyFan
Way to go Ray. Dallas is just decimated with injuries, who would have thought that 5 AHL goals in 48 games would have justified a ticket to Dallas? I wasn't thinking that he'd be the next alumnus (happy?) called up. Congrats, I hope he sticks.
When looking to promote an AHL player to be a 4th-line winger, scoring goals in the AHL isn't the first criterion I'd use. I'd rather have someone who could play a physical game, win the battles along the wall, and be responsible defensively. Like Byron Bitz, Raymond Sawada has these attributes. I think they are both better suited to be 4th liners in the NHL than 1st liners in college.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2009 12:32AM by cbuckser.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.dsl.scrm01.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 20, 2009 12:11AM

ugarte
RatushnyFan
pfibiger

Richard Park's injury will open a spot on the Islanders' 3rd or 4th line. Mike Iggulden would fit the bill for that role. Unfortunately, from what I have heard, Iggulden isn't high on Garth Snow's radar screen.

Date: February 20, 2009 01:02AM

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2009 04:20AM

cbuckser
The AP recap of tonight's game has some quotes from Raymond and his new coach.
and a nice video of his goal, good backhand.

Posted by: bernie (---.echostar.com)
Date: February 20, 2009 09:45AM

what does this look like if one shows the number of players by cornell team to play in the nhl?

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2009 09:55AM

bernie
what does this look like if one shows the number of players by cornell team to play in the nhl?

Huh? I'm guessing you're looking for some sort of year-by-year chart showing the percentage of players from that CU roster to eventually play in the NHL. Or maybe a bar graph showing the number of CU alumni in the NHL each year? Either way, I'm that's some data the venerable TBRW? cabal can work on. :-)

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 20, 2009 12:17PM

bernie
Hmm...

Date: February 20, 2009 01:28PM

cbuckser
ugarte
RatushnyFan
pfibiger

Richard Park's injury will open a spot on the Islanders' 3rd or 4th line. Mike Iggulden would fit the bill for that role. Unfortunately, from what I have heard, Iggulden isn't high on Garth Snow's radar screen.
Why not? He is leading the team in points and is second in goals. Is it his D? I see that he's had a couple of pretty ugly +/- years in the AHL.

Date: February 20, 2009 02:18PM

ugarte
cbuckser
ugarte
RatushnyFan
pfibiger

Why not? He is leading the team in points and is second in goals. Is it his D? I see that he's had a couple of pretty ugly +/- years in the AHL.
I have no idea. I assume he is still responsible defensively; he mastered that skill in college. His age (26) works against him being in the long-term plans, but I am confident he can contribute to the Islanders for the next couple of years.

If he doesn't get a chance this season, I expect he'll play for another organization next season.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: February 20, 2009 02:40PM

ugarte
cbuckser
Come on, we're talking about the guy who signed DP to a 15 year deal and, well, this guy...

Date: February 20, 2009 02:46PM

CowbellGuy
ugarte
cbuckser
Come on, we're talking about the guy who signed DP to a 15 year deal and, well, this guy...
Seems to me that guy's pretty good at creating scoring opportunities.

Amright or amiright??

Posted by: Robb (---.gradacc.ox.ac.uk)
Date: February 20, 2009 02:47PM

ftyuv
CowbellGuy
ugarte
cbuckser

Amright or amiright??
That is certainly what military pilots would call a "target rich environment."

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: February 20, 2009 03:06PM

CowbellGuy
ugarte
cbuckser
Come on, we're talking about the guy who signed DP to a 15 year deal...
In short, because he's a moron.

Sawada's First NHL Goal - Direct Video Link
Date: February 20, 2009 03:17PM

Link (because the site won't let me embed it).

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: February 20, 2009 04:38PM

ftyuv

Amright or amiright??
Given his numbers as a goalie, that was true on both fronts.

Date: February 20, 2009 05:34PM

jtwcornell91
Larry72

Ouch. :-(

Date: February 20, 2009 05:41PM

cbuckser
RatushnyFan
When looking to promote an AHL player to be a 4th-line winger, scoring goals in the AHL isn't the first criterion I'd use. I'd rather have someone who could play a physical game, win the battles along the wall, and be responsible defensively. Like Byron Bitz, Raymond Sawada has these attributes. I think they are both better suited to be 4th liners in the NHL than 1st liners in college.
You're definitely right in many cases. Jed Ortmeyer (Michigan) is similar.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2009 05:54PM

Robb
That is certainly what military pilots would call a "target rich environment."

The CDC has another name for it.

Posted by: nshapiro (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 20, 2009 10:01PM

tailhook?

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.jsc.nasa.gov)
Date: February 23, 2009 12:27PM

Caught David LeNeveu played for the Iowa Chops at the Houston Aeros on Saturday night. Lenny played pretty well. Gave up just one goal as the Chops lost in the shootout. His one goal came with a hard slapshot from the right face-off circle beat him stick-side (might have gone between the elbow). I don't remember the shoot out goals very well, but he had a number of saves.

Posted by: sah67 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 23, 2009 01:34PM

Matt Moulson scored his second pro hat trick in Manchester's 7-2 rout of Lowell on Saturday night.

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: February 23, 2009 04:05PM

Sharks @ Stars tonight (Mon. 2/23) at 8 EST on Versus.
Here's an article on Sawada's debut:
[theahl.com]

Bitz's 2nd goal tonight
Date: February 24, 2009 08:39PM

After two, Boston is up 3-1 on Florida after Byron Bitz's 2nd NHL goal, a a deflection of a Stephane Yelle shot.

Re: Bitz's 2nd goal tonight
Date: February 24, 2009 08:54PM

sah67
After two, Boston is up 3-1 on Florida after Byron Bitz's 2nd NHL goal, a a deflection of a Stephane Yelle shot.

Bitz is on FIRE! He just got his 3rd NHL goal on a fat, juicy rebound. banana
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2009 09:05PM by Rita.

Date: February 24, 2009 08:59PM

Rita
sah67

Bitz is on FIRE! He just got his 3rd goal on a fat, juicy rebound. banana

I think you mean 2nd :) No hat trick...yet ;)

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2009 08:59PM

Rita

Bitz made the pass to send Yelle down the middle, so he did the work to set up that "juicy rebound" of Yelle's shot.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2009 09:07PM

sah67
Rita
sah67

I think he meant third total (in the NHL).

Posted by: gtsully (---.66.171.66.subscriber.vzavenue.net)
Date: February 24, 2009 09:27PM

Boston crowd chanting "we want Bitz" with 1 minute left and a 6-1 lead, hoping that he'd get a chance for the hat trick. Julien sent him out to a big ovation, but he didn't get a chance. He's become a bit of a cult hero out here.

Date: February 24, 2009 09:28PM

With just over a minute left, the crowd was chanting "We want Bitz" so he'd have a final chance for a hat trick. He did come on as they were chanting, but settled for a two goal game.

Posted by: Anne 85 (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 24, 2009 10:16PM

The Bruins radio broadcast named Bitz as #1 star after his 2-goal effort tonight. He also gave a nice interview, although the interviewer called him "Bitsy" a number of times (I know some don't care for that particular nickname).

I didn't catch the game, but there should be some good highlights on local TV tonight.

Date: February 24, 2009 10:29PM

ftyuv
sah67
Rita
sah67

I think he meant third total (in the NHL).

Whoops, good call...my bad.

"Grinder Bitz nets two..."
Posted by: cth95 (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2009 10:39PM

"Grinder Bitz nets two as Bruins dismantle Panthers"

I added the emphasis. I think we will take a headline like this about a Cornell alum any day.

[espn.go.com]

Re: "Grinder Bitz nets two..."
Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2009 10:59PM

"Bit by Bitz, The True Story behind the Saskatchewan Sex Symbol"

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2009 11:32PM

cth95

I added the emphasis. I think we will take a headline like this about a Cornell alum any day.
Not a bad night for a "roll" player.:-P

Re: Dustin Brown
Date: February 24, 2009 11:41PM

Okay, not an alum, but Ithaca native and LA King player Dustin Brown missed tonight's Kings @ Wild game for a good reason. His wife gave birth to their second child today.

LA did ok without Brown and defeated Minnesota in a Shoot-out.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2009 11:48PM

Al DeFlorio
cth95

Not a bad night for a "roll" player.:-P
If he hopes to be dressing for the NHL squad regularly, he'll need to caesar every opportunity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2009 11:51PM by imafrshmn.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 25, 2009 01:30AM

jkahn
With just over a minute left, the crowd was chanting "We want Bitz" so he'd have a final chance for a hat trick. He did come on as they were chanting, but settled for a two goal game.

It was a pretty loud chant too, and the crowd roared in response when he jumped over the boards. I saw him even getting a little powerplay time late. Jack and Brick were pretty much singing his praises all night, and commenting how no Florida defenders seemed to want to deal with him in front of the net.

For anyone who follows the B's I don't think it's a stretch to say that the Bitz-Thornton-Yelle line has been Boston's best for the last month. They come to play every night, and just out work every line that is put up against them.

Date: February 25, 2009 09:52AM

I agree oceanst41 -- at least, they've been the most consistent. Bitz fits into the Boston system very well, and from what I've read and seen, he's well liked among the team too. I expect to see him play through the season (even taking into account trades), and at this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if he'd be back in Boston next year as well.

Posted by: CM cWo 44 (207.10.170.---)
Date: February 25, 2009 10:20AM

It wasn't the first time Byron Bitz had a big crowd chanting his name. It had been a while, though.

The rookie fourth-liner scored his second and third NHL goals Tuesday night, leading the struggling Bruins to a 6-1 win over the Florida Panthers in the opener of Boston's six-game homestand.

Bitz's performance had the fans buzzing, just like he used to in his days at Cornell.

"Couple times in college - but 20,000 people's different than 4,000, so it was pretty cool," he said.

[www.nhl.com]

Date: February 25, 2009 11:26AM

ebilmes
"Bit by Bitz, The True Story behind the Saskatchewan Sex Symbol"

[en.wikipedia.org]
Stupid Wikipedia party poopers reverted it.

Date: February 25, 2009 01:21PM

Coach talking about Bitz: [link.brightcove.com]

And Bitz talking about himself: [link.brightcove.com]

Posted by: nr53 (---.cisco.com)
Date: February 25, 2009 02:28PM

Posted by: madAgaskar07 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 25, 2009 07:23PM

ftyuv
Coach talking about Bitz: [link.brightcove.com]

And Bitz talking about himself: [link.brightcove.com]

...and now Marc Savard talking about Byron Bitz (among other things) on a morning radio show here in Boston:

[wzlx.com]

Alumna in the Stands - February 2009
Date: February 26, 2009 08:30PM

There's a young lady in a red Cornell sweatshirt (or sweater) seated along the glass in the section just to the players' right of the Bruins' bench tonight - there to show her support for Byron.

Re: Alumna in the Stands - February 2009
Date: February 26, 2009 09:24PM

Bitz gets another in the clutch and turns a shaky 5-0 3rd period lead into a comfortable 6-0.

Re: Alumna in the Stands - February 2009

jkahn
There's a young lady in a red Cornell sweatshirt (or sweater) seated along the glass in the section just to the players' right of the Bruins' bench tonight - there to show her support for Byron.

And cheer for him after his 4th NHL goal.

Edit: Also got his first time on the PK tonight as far as I know. Julien is giving him more and more responsibility.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2009 09:26PM by oceanst41.

Bitz scores on a great effort, fighting off Scott Niedermayer.

Date: February 26, 2009 09:25PM

jkahn

It might be time to stuff another ballot box, Bitz for B's player of the week!!

Date: February 26, 2009 09:28PM

Rita
jkahn

I'm not so sure we'll even need to stuff the ballot.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 26, 2009 09:45PM

Humiliating effort for the Ducks. Niedermayer is a -4 (and make it -7 combined for the family). Ouch. My Michigan rookie friend Matt Hunwick gets an assist on Bitz's goal and a goal of his own after coming back up to the B's from the minors.

Date: February 27, 2009 09:49AM

ftyuv
Rita
jkahn

Apparently not; Bitz is currently sitting at ~64%.

Posted by: nyiballs (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2009 08:36PM

More on Byron... with a nice Cornell Shoutout...

Bitz at Bruins website

"We want Bitz"
Posted by: nyiballs (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2009 08:44PM

We want Bitz!

Date: February 28, 2009 12:43PM

ugarte
ftyuv
Rita
jkahn

Apparently not; Bitz is currently sitting at ~64%.

He finished at 69% and beat out Savard and Ryder for the weekly honors. rock

The pregame talk was all about how well he's transitioned, done what was asked of him, and rounded out the B's 4th line.

Posted by: Luke 05 (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2009 03:44PM

Sawada's a healthy scratch in Dallas today.

Posted by: Flyers1037 (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2009 07:54PM

Bitz just got a small feature on Coach's Corner between during the 1st intermission in tonight's SJ/Mon game. Cherry talking about how he plays the game "right".

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2009 08:57PM

Flyers1037
Cherry talking about how he plays the game "right".
Read: He is not European.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 28, 2009 09:01PM

Josh '99
Flyers1037

I was going to make a comment to that effect but was too lazy.

Date: February 28, 2009 09:01PM

Jacob '06
Josh '99
Flyers1037

Same here. Verbatim.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2009 09:03PM

Jacob '06
Josh '99
Flyers1037

Lazy like a European hockey player, circling back in the neutral zone with the puck instead of dumping it in and taking the hit like a man.

Date: February 28, 2009 09:03PM

Josh '99
Jacob '06
Josh '99
Flyers1037

Lazy like a European hockey player, circling back in the neutral zone with the puck instead of dumping it in and taking the hit like a man.

And cheating by with dirty stick work.

Posted by: Luke 05 (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2009 08:16PM

Sawada was sent back to the AHL today to make room for the Avery recall waiver move. Even though Avery will never play for Dallas again they still need to make room so Ray was sent to Manitoba. Word is, he's still on the team plane headed to San Jose for the game tomorrow and might play on their road trip this week still.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 02, 2009 09:38PM

Psst... it's March...

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: nr53 (---.cisco.com)
Date: March 02, 2009 09:54PM

O'Byrne called up to the Habs today

[canadiens.nhl.com]

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login