Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Alumni in the Pros - February 2009

Posted by Rita 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Alumni in the Pros - February 2009
Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2009 02:30PM

Ryan O'Byrne and Bryon Bitz playing this afternoon in the B's @ Habs game. (OB is getting lots of camera time on CBC).

The Hab's are wearing a 3rd uniform and the 3 color horizontal striping on the jersey's and socks is very hard on my eyes. I'm glad I'm not watching in HD. bugeye

Re: Alumni in the Pros - February 2009
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2009 02:40PM

Worst...unis...ever.woot

Thanks for the alert, Rita.

Posted by: jkahn (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: February 01, 2009 03:23PM

Nice assist by Bitz gives Bruins a 2-1 lead in 2nd. He's hustling his butt off every second he's out there in the games I've watched.
On the other hand, O'B got solidly booed by the Montreal crowd when he took an interference penalty late in the first.
And, yes I agree, worst uniforms ever, any sport, any level (except maybe some foreign soccer teams who are basically commercial billboards).

Posted by: cbuckser (76.197.12.---)
Date: February 01, 2009 03:33PM

The Canadiens are celebrating their 100th anniversary by wearing its former uniforms. Keep in mind that today's 96-year-old sweater preceded the use of uniform numbers on players' backs. Also, I'm sure these barbershop sweaters looked better when made of wool than with modern materials.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2009 03:38PM by cbuckser.

Date: February 01, 2009 03:54PM

Bitz interviewed after the second period on NESN. Usual stuff: "We're the checking line...keep them from scoring...very emotional game...lot of fun to play, etc."

Date: February 01, 2009 04:26PM

Al DeFlorio
Worst...unis...ever.woot

And these 96 year old unis also predate television ;-). Maybe they look better in person.

For better looking "uniforms", check out Puppy Bowl V on the Animal Planet. There are some very cute "coats" there. :-) Some even wooly and furry.

Date: February 01, 2009 04:45PM

Rita
Al DeFlorio
Worst...unis...ever.woot

And these 96 year old unis also predate television ;-). Maybe they look better in person.

For better looking "uniforms", check out Puppy Bowl V on the Animal Planet. There are some very cute "coats" there. :-) Some even wooly and furry.
Bruins' announcers gave the final score as: Bruins 3, Inmates 1.crazy

Cheap shot to the head by O'Byrne in the final seconds.doh

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 01, 2009 04:46PM

Two great games in a row for Bitz. His work along with Thornton and Yelle in the last two have really given the Bruins some momentum when they needed it.

On the flip side, with 5 seconds left O'Byrne takes a run at Kobasew with an elbow to the head, trying to drive him through the glass. No need for that kind of stuff.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2009 09:25AM

2 nice pictures (3rd and 4th in the series, I think) of Bitz here. Slideshow includes the "Barbershop" jersies the above posts banged on.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2009 09:26AM by TimV.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: February 02, 2009 01:00PM

TimV
2 nice pictures (3rd and 4th in the series, I think) of Bitz here. Slideshow includes the "Barbershop" jersies pajamas the above posts banged on.
FYP

Posted by: Brian (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2009 07:20PM

Al DeFlorio
Rita
Al DeFlorio
Worst...unis...ever.woot

Bruins' announcers gave the final score as: Bruins 3, Inmates 1.crazy

Cheap shot to the head by O'Byrne in the final seconds.doh

Then maybe the ugly shot of the jerseys that is posted on yahoo is appropriate:

[sports.yahoo.com]

Date: February 02, 2009 11:33PM

From today's game story in the Cape Cod Times:

The Canadiens wore "barber pole" retro jerseys and socks featuring the distinctive look of narrow red, white and blue horizontal bands used by the team in 1912-13.

"I was really concerned about it in warmup,"
[Bruins forward Shawn] Thornton said. "When there were 23 guys skating around, I was dizzy and I didn't know if I got enough sleep or what. It wasn't as bad once there were five guys out there."

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: February 02, 2009 11:42PM

Some press on O'Byrne is more positive recently:

"Ryan O'Byrne, who has been up and down between the Canadiens and Hamilton, seems to have improved his play during his stint in Hamilton. The complaint we had earlier about him was that he wasn't using his size enough to deliver some solid hits. In the game against Boston, O'Byrne dished out six hits. It is a beginning and if he doesn't score on our own goalie, he can't be a threat to our team."
[bleacherreport.com]

"Ryan O'Byrne: 7.25 Very impressed with his return this week - had patience with the puck and for the most part made the right decisions. With these injuries, he'll need to keep it up."
[www.habsworld.net]

"Ryan O'Byrne: A- What? O'Byrne listed first? Yeah yeah, Hamrlik may have been the better choice to lead this section, but let's give the guy a break. He deserves a break. O'Byrne hit, he battled, and even pinched in smartly to keep the play alive. Now, when he makes a mistake, it does seem to stick with him for the rest of his shift. Hopefully a few more strong outings like this one will help him develop a Teflon attitude to any faults that will happen."
[www.habsworld.net]

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: February 03, 2009 12:58PM

Speaking of odd unis...

Posted by: cbuckser (---.ospd.ca.gov)
Date: February 03, 2009 01:43PM

Posted by: Townie (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2009 03:00PM

Looks like two inmate teams.crazy

Date: February 03, 2009 03:03PM

Townie

I assume you didn't read the article...

Posted by: Townie (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2009 04:14PM

ugarte
Townie

You're right. doh My compliments to their designer!

Posted by: ftyuv (---.techtarget.com)
Date: February 03, 2009 04:30PM

ugarte
Townie

The lack of vitriol in that reply makes me suspect that you're not sure how the internets work.

Date: February 03, 2009 04:40PM

ftyuv
ugarte
Townie

The lack of vitriol in that reply makes me suspect that you're not sure how the internets work.
I'm not a vitriol guy, you dick.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: February 03, 2009 05:59PM

That is AWESOME! The prison bars on the penalty boxes are one of the best parts.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 03, 2009 10:41PM

ugarte
ftyuv
ugarte
Townie

Typical. rolleyes

Posted by: RichH (12.231.146.---)
Date: February 04, 2009 03:09AM

ftyuv
ugarte
ftyuv
ugarte
Townie

Typical. rolleyes
[insert jerk/typical loop here]

Date: February 04, 2009 07:45PM

Okay, not Cornell's alum, but St. Lawrence class of 2005 goalie Mike McKenna gets his first NHL start tonight for Tampa Bay v. Pittsburgh. He did play some when goalie Ramo was pulled last night v. the Islanders.

Obligatory Cornell note: Bitz got to "feel sad" for 2 minutes in the 1st period of the Bruin / Flyer game.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: February 04, 2009 09:02PM

Here is a nice little Q&A with Douglas Murray from the Sharks site. Among other things, he talks about fighting with a visor (which was a question in a previous thread in this forum).

[sharks.nhl.com]

Posted by: CUDrew0105 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2009 09:42PM

Bitz continues to play well with several good shifts tonight and seems to be developing good chemistry with Thorton and Yelle. He had 2 excellent attempts to pot his first NHL goal but was stoned point blank on the first and hit iron on the second on a partial 2 on 1 break. Julien seems to be rewarding him with slightly more playing time each game so it looks like he may stick on the 4th line for the time being.

Free Iggy!!!!

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2009 09:53PM

Rita
Obligatory Cornell note: Bitz got to "feel sad" for 2 minutes in the 1st period of the Bruin / Flyer game.
Shame. Feel shame.

But then you get free.

Date: February 04, 2009 11:35PM

Trotsky
Rita
Shame. Feel shame.

But then you get free.

And now I feel shame. :`-(

Posted by: nshapiro (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 04, 2009 11:54PM

Flyer radio postgame remarked that Boston is such a good third period team because the 4th line gets so much time, so everyone stays fresh.

Bruins radio postgame made Bitz third star of the game.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.crh.noaa.gov)
Date: February 05, 2009 06:30AM

CUDrew0105
Bitz continues to play well with several good shifts tonight and seems to be developing good chemistry with Thorton and Yelle. He had 2 excellent attempts to pot his first NHL goal but was stoned point blank on the first and hit iron on the second on a partial 2 on 1 break. Julien seems to be rewarding him with slightly more playing time each game so it looks like he may stick on the 4th line for the time being.

The better Bitz plays, the more ice time he'll see - it's been Julien's MO. Right now there is no line on the Bruins playing better than the Thornton-Yelle-Bitz line. They are a puck possession force right now, allowing the Bruins to change out lines while on offense, and drawing their share of penalties. As far as I know the Bruins usual 4th liner, Nokelainen, is healthy so Bitz has "earned" this time. I for one love what that line is doing now, and in no way does his alma mater bias my opinion. ;-)

Oh, and his feeling shame in the first was a weak. He went right to goal, lost his balance at the top of the paint, and Biron pulled him down.

Date: February 05, 2009 07:11AM

Quote from Bruins' coach Claude Julien in today's Boston Globe:

"Again, our best line by far was the [Stephane] Yelle line [with Thornton and Byron Bitz]," said coach Claude Julien, frustrated that his power play was blanked (0 for 5) for a fourth straight game, some of his most talented forwards contributing little. "They did a great job bottling [the Flyers] up . . . that's good when some of our guys aren't playing their best right now."

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hortonpv.ul.warwick.net)
Date: February 05, 2009 08:06AM

I am pleasantly surprised with Bitz' progress; I thought he was a solid college player, but did not envision playing on the NHL level. Just goes to show you that you don't have to be a superstar in college hockey to make the jump.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 05, 2009 09:34AM

The Flyer PBP made several unfortunate mistakes with Bitz' name last night, and his color guy remarked "Boston's Byron Bitz" -- man, that's a bad name.

Date: February 05, 2009 10:23AM

scoop85
I am pleasantly surprised with Bitz' progress; I thought he was a solid college player, but did not envision playing on the NHL level. Just goes to show you that you don't have to be a superstar in college hockey to make the jump.
It doesn't hurt to be 6'5" and about 225 pounds. Smart aleck comments aside, I agree with you. I only saw him play a few times in a Cornell uniform, but he looked a step slow to me and lacked finishing touch. He's either improved or I should keep my day job (probably both are true). In any event, I'm really happy that he's doing well.

Date: February 05, 2009 10:51AM

RatushnyFan
scoop85
It doesn't hurt to be 6'5" and about 225 pounds. Smart aleck comments aside, I agree with you. I only saw him play a few times in a Cornell uniform, but he looked a step slow to me and lacked finishing touch. He's either improved or I should keep my day job (probably both are true). In any event, I'm really happy that he's doing well.
According to a B's fan friend of mine, Bitz still lacks the finishing touch and has missed the net a few times on excellent chances - but he loves Bitz's grit.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: February 05, 2009 12:09PM

Bitz looked like Bitz to me. Hard to get off the puck behind the net, good possession in the corners, and getting his chances. The one he got stoned on, he put right into Biron's gut, but he was pretty low in the slot.

The Flyers' TV announcers were rather impressed for how well he was playing for someone only in the league for 11 games.

And I missed the first period, but considering that the ref called another goalie interference later in the game, it makes me think it was probably a message penalty rather than a legit one.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2009 12:15PM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Date: February 05, 2009 04:15PM

ugarte
According to a B's fan friend of mine, Bitz still lacks the finishing touch and has missed the net a few times on excellent chances - but he loves Bitz's grit.

Totally agree. He's had about three golden chances, with timely saves and iron thwarting him. Then again Krejci couldn't score a goal to save his life last year, now he has 19 and is playing at a point per game pace. Bitz's job isn't to score right now, however just keep doing what he's doing and those chances will keep coming though.

Date: February 05, 2009 04:20PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Bitz looked like Bitz to me. Hard to get off the puck behind the net, good possession in the corners, and getting his chances. The one he got stoned on, he put right into Biron's gut, but he was pretty low in the slot.

The Flyers' TV announcers were rather impressed for how well he was playing for someone only in the league for 11 games.

And I missed the first period, but considering that the ref called another goalie interference later in the game, it makes me think it was probably a message penalty rather than a legit one.

They did, on Blake Wheeler. Similarly weird - Wheeler was trying to get position at the top of the crease and did a blind turn back towards goal. By then Biron had skated out of the blue paint to challenge a shot and Wheeler kind of had to hit the brakes hard. They made skate contact and Biron went down, drawing a penalty.

Neither involved a hard charging player heading towards goal, as you would typically expect. Bitz was already setting a screen and lost his balance, and Wheeler was trying to move his screen to a different position.

Posted by: nshapiro (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 05, 2009 10:52PM

Article at nhl.com about Bitz:

[bruins.nhl.com]|NHL|home

Date: February 07, 2009 01:43PM

Byron Bitz scores his first NHL goal. banana

He came in hard on the forecheck and caused a turnover. Mark Stuart's shot hit the crossbar and came straight down, and Bitz shoveled it in from there.

Posted by: jkahn (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: February 07, 2009 01:45PM

Bitz gets his first NHL goal in 1st period vs. Flyers, tapping in a rebound which came off the crossbar.

Posted by: cth95 (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2009 01:47PM

NESN announcers gave Bitz a lot of credit for starting the forecheck which caused a turnover to intiate the play in the first place.

Posted by: Flyers1037 (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2009 02:26PM

Something I just realized while watching the game. The Powe line for Philly is getting some of the ice time against Bitz' line. Powe is class of '07 out of Princeton, think these two know how to play each other a little bit?

Sharks at Bruins tonight
Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: February 10, 2009 02:23PM

Versus network at 7 pm. Douglas v Byron.banana

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr5.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 10, 2009 03:34PM

Here's an article from the Globe:

[www.boston.com]

Re: Sharks at Bruins tonight
Date: February 10, 2009 05:16PM

TimV
They should drop the gloves, just for the hell of it. Actually, that might not be a bad match.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.c3-0.nwt-ubr2.sbo-nwt.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 10, 2009 06:53PM

Trotsky
TimV
They should drop the gloves, just for the hell of it. Actually, that might not be a bad match.
While we're on the topic of fun fights, I'd like to see Shawn Thornton vs Joe Thornton. If that happens, I've got my money on Thornton.

Posted by: sah67 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 10, 2009 07:27PM

Mid-way through the first period and Murray tried to stand Bitz up along the boards, which led to a little pushing and shoving as the two battled for the puck...nothing more than that so far.

Date: February 10, 2009 08:32PM

It's near the end of the 2nd, and Bitz just leveled Murray along the boards...can't remember the last time I saw Douglas knocked on his ass by a hit.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2009 08:32PM by sah67.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 11, 2009 12:29AM

Date: February 11, 2009 07:49AM

TimV
Two quotes from the game article in the Boston Globe:

Re: Douglas

Midway through the second period, the Bruins lost another right wing when Chuck Kobasew was flattened by defenseman Douglas Murray in open ice. Kobasew's right leg was planted during the hit and his knee appeared to buckle. Kobasew was limited to six second-period shifts. He returned in the third period but has an upper-body injury, according to Julien.

Re: losing a one-goal after two periods

The Bruins selected just about the worst opponent they could find to fall flat on their faces in the third period.

"In the third period, we just played way too safe," said
[Bruins' player] Andrew Ference. "We just sat back. I can't recall a good forecheck that we had or any solid shifts in their zone.

"You don't do that with a lead. You play the same style regardless of the score. That was the big change - that we got away from aggressiveness and trying to take charge in the third."

Posted by: AnneDVM (---.209.51.230.conversent.net)
Date: February 11, 2009 11:42AM

sah67
It's near the end of the 2nd, and Bitz just leveled Murray along the boards...can't remember the last time I saw Douglas knocked on his ass by a hit.

We replayed and watched that hit 3 times!

Vesce called up, will play against Penguins tonight
Date: February 11, 2009 04:46PM

Posted by: fink (69.144.100.---)
Date: February 11, 2009 06:20PM

Anyone know what our record for most alums in the NHL at one time is (at the same time, not just the same season)? If Moulson would get called back up, I would guess we would be pretty close.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (192.234.99.---)
Date: February 11, 2009 07:26PM

I can't tell if they overlapped within a season but here are my figures for seasons with 3+ Cornellians in the NHL:

'86-'87: Hayward, Eliot, Dadswell (3 goalies!)

'87-'88: Hayward, Eliot, Dadswell, Nieuwendyk. 4.

'88-'89: Hayward, Eliot, Nieuwendyk. 3.

'98-'90: Hayward, Eliot, Nieuwendyk. 3.

'92-'93: Ratushny, Manderville, D'Alessio, Nieuwendyk, Hayward. 5.

'95-'96: Hughes, Nieuwendyk, Manderville. 3.

'96-'97: Drouin, Nieuwendyk, Manderville, Duffus. 4.

'98-'99: Pelletier, Manderville, Nieuwendyk. 3

'02-'03: Pelletier, Chartrand, Manderville, Nieuwendyk. 4

'03-'04: Pelletier, Chartrand, Nieuwendyk, Underhill. 4.

'06-'07: Nieuwendyk, LeNeveu, Murray. 3.

'07-'08: Iggulden, Murray, Moulson, O'Byrne. 4

'08-'09: This year at various points we've had Moulson, Vesce (per the article above), Bitz, Murray and O'Byrne. That's 5. Hopefully Iggulden gets a shot. 6 would be the record.

Any mistakes/omissions? This season is more meaningful than '92-'93 in that D'Alessio and Ratushny (robbed!) only played 1 game each. O'Byrne is hopefully up for the balance fo the season, Bitz is hopefully here to stay. We have 4 players with a lot of minutes and we'll have to see about Vesce.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2009 07:47PM by RatushnyFan.

Date: February 11, 2009 07:46PM

Fink, reconsidering your question, I believe that the answer for concurrent NHLers is 4, though I can't tell for sure. This probably happened in '92-'93, '02-'03, last year (were Iggy and O'Byrne up at the same time? I think so) and this year. I based my educated guesses on how many games each Cornellian played in a concurrent season.

Re: Vesce called up, will play against Penguins tonight
Date: February 11, 2009 08:02PM

sah67
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks/2009/02/11/goc-out-so-ryan-vesce-making-his-nhl-debut-tonight-and-an-update-on-the-booing-in-boston/

Vesce wearing #53 and skating on the 4th line along with Claude Lemeiux (sp?).

I wonder if Bitz getting his first goal lit a fire under Douglas Murray. He has had several shots from the point tonight.

Date: February 11, 2009 08:10PM

Lemieux, or as they call him in Detroit and the Draper household: Le Richard (abbreviated). French Rage can translate for you.

Posted by: Rita (98.213.185.---)
Date: February 11, 2009 08:42PM

RatushnyFan
Lemieux, or as they call him in Detroit and the Draper household: Le Richard (abbreviated). French Rage can translate for you.

I do not understand why the Sharks signed Lemieux, I thought it was a good day for hockey when he "retired" (though in hindsight, "leave of absence" seems more appropriate).

Vesce seems to be holding his own thus far.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 11, 2009 08:53PM

Perhaps a silly question, but - is this the first time we've had two on the same team at the same time? I'm not great at remembering which clubs the older alums played for.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: jkahn (70.9.189.---)
Date: February 11, 2009 08:57PM

Pens' announcer spent a surprising amount of time in 1st period talking about Vesce, his Worcester stats, a good play he made by covering on D when Erhoff went in on a rush and his Cornell connection with Murray. They also commented that Murray was built "like a refrigerator."

Date: February 11, 2009 09:05PM

What channel is this game on, btw?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: jkahn (70.9.189.---)
Date: February 11, 2009 09:13PM

Beeeej
What channel is this game on, btw?
I'm watching on directv 776-1. The Sharks' broadcast is on 775 but not in HD, and I finally just got HD, so I'm watching the Pens' broadcast. Need NHL Center Ice for either of these.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (24.63.246.---)
Date: February 11, 2009 10:41PM

Vesce played 6:48 and finished -1.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2009 11:44PM

jkahn
They also commented that Murray was built "like a refrigerator."
Well, he IS.

Date: February 11, 2009 11:48PM

Beeeej
Perhaps a silly question, but - is this the first time we've had two on the same team at the same time? I'm not great at remembering which clubs the older alums played for.

Just had my own question answered over on Facebook, and I double-checked on various sources; Doug Dadswell and Joe Nieuwendyk both played for the Flames in about two dozen games during the 1987-88 season, so this isn't the first time.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: cbuckser (76.245.105.---)
Date: February 12, 2009 12:25AM

Beeeej
Beeeej

Just had my own question answered over on Facebook, and I double-checked on various sources; Doug Dadswell and Joe Nieuwendyk both played for the Flames in about two dozen games during the 1987-88 season, so this isn't the first time.

And on Feb. 18, 2008, Doug Murray and Mike Iggulden both played for the Sharks against the Islanders.

Date: February 12, 2009 12:29AM

cbuckser
Beeeej
Beeeej

And on Feb. 18, 2008, Doug Murray and Mike Iggulden both played for the Sharks against the Islanders.

Right - completely forgot that one, thanks.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: jts15 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2009 08:16AM

I thoght it was "Turtle."

Date: February 12, 2009 08:26AM

RatushnyFan

I always called him "Claude the Fraud."

Date: February 12, 2009 10:50AM

I watch the Devils a lot (let's hear some applause) and I always felt that he was an excellent player who at times simply lost the respect that you're supposed to have for opponents (ie Draper incident, punching that guy when he was on the bench, etc.). Inexcusable? Absolutely.

Date: February 12, 2009 12:49PM

RatushnyFan
I watch the Devils a lot ...

So you're their fan! :-P

Date: February 12, 2009 01:29PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
RatushnyFan
I watch the Devils a lot ...

So you're their fan! :-P
No, it's just if you live in the ET, you can't get away from them or the Pens. yark

Date: February 12, 2009 02:38PM

In Zach we trust

The Patrick Elias summer hockey camp is pretty good, too. He shows up and he's good with the kids. Two out of three of my kids love the Devils, one punked out and likes the Rangers but he's only 5. There's plenty of time, he'll come to his senses.

Posted by: nr53 (---.cisco.com)
Date: February 12, 2009 05:32PM

RatushnyFan
Two out of three of my kids love the Devils, one punked out and likes the Rangers but he's only 5. There's plenty of time, he'll come to his senses.

Sounds like someone needs to be grounded for a little while. :-p

Date: February 13, 2009 10:24PM

cbuckser
The Canadiens are celebrating their 100th anniversary by wearing its former uniforms. Keep in mind that today's 96-year-old sweater preceded the use of uniform numbers on players' backs. Also, I'm sure these barbershop sweaters looked better when made of wool than with modern materials.

Altitude is doing the Av v. Habs game in "Flashback Coverage", i.e. black and white. Habs are wearing their road whites, but maybe those striped unis may have gone over better in b/w.

Btw, Ryan O'Byrne is a scratch for tonight.

Posted by: mnagowski (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 14, 2009 12:07AM

Vesce had a rather tepid -1 game in Buffalo tonight, but Douglas Murray enjoyed +2 and had an absolutely monstrous hit on Daniel Paille in the second.

I had forgotten to wear my Cornell gear (save for my scarf), but I did notice one Sharks fan in the 100s wearing a Cornell t-shirt. A lot of us Buffalo fans in the stands were buzzing about Murray.

Date: February 14, 2009 12:16AM

I didn't see all of the Devils/Bruins game, but Bitz looked strong! I haven't seen him play in a while, he looked quicker than he did in college and he still towers over almost everyone. He was really hustling and I see from the box score that he played over 13 minutes. Nice job.

Date: February 14, 2009 09:41AM

RatushnyFan
I didn't see all of the Devils/Bruins game, but Bitz looked strong! I haven't seen him play in a while, he looked quicker than he did in college and he still towers over almost everyone. He was really hustling and I see from the box score that he played over 13 minutes. Nice job.

He had another very solid game, with a couple nice chances and great work along the boards. Unfortunately, for Bitz and for Bruins fans, Clemmensen stopped everything put his way.

Date: February 14, 2009 09:44AM

Rita
cbuckser

Altitude is doing the Av v. Habs game in "Flashback Coverage", i.e. black and white. Habs are wearing their road whites, but maybe those striped unis may have gone over better in b/w.

Btw, Ryan O'Byrne is a scratch for tonight.

Or on the radio. yark

Posted by: Ronald '09 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 14, 2009 03:10PM

RatushnyFan
I can't tell if they overlapped within a season but here are my figures for seasons with 3+ Cornellians in the NHL:

'08-'09: This year at various points we've had Moulson, Vesce (per the article above), Bitz, Murray and O'Byrne. That's 5. Hopefully Iggulden gets a shot. 6 would be the record.

Any mistakes/omissions? This season is more meaningful than '92-'93 in that D'Alessio and Ratushny (robbed!) only played 1 game each. O'Byrne is hopefully up for the balance fo the season, Bitz is hopefully here to stay. We have 4 players with a lot of minutes and we'll have to see about Vesce.

Is your criteria played in the NHL or are in the NHL? Because if your criteria is Cornellians in the NHL, you would have tou count Dave McKee for 06-07 and Leneveu for this year. I think that should count because even if they did not actually appear in a game, dressing and sitting on the bench as backup goalie is still being active for an NHL game.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 14, 2009 03:57PM

Ronald '09
RatushnyFan

Is your criteria played in the NHL or are in the NHL? Because if your criteria is Cornellians in the NHL, you would have tou count Dave McKee for 06-07 and Leneveu for this year. I think that should count because even if they did not actually appear in a game, dressing and sitting on the bench as backup goalie is still being active for an NHL game.
Jason Elliott got some time on the bench with the Red Wings too, no?

Date: February 15, 2009 01:07PM

My criteria was playing in a game. I could sit on an NHL bench with the best of 'em.

Date: February 15, 2009 05:11PM

RatushnyFan
My criteria was playing in a game. I could sit on an NHL bench with the best of 'em.

Yeah, and I could probably take a faceoff if I were allowed to sprint to the bench as soon as the puck hits the ice. The point isn't whether you can, but whether the team trusts you with a spot on their roster.

In other words: No, you couldn't sit on the bench as a backup goalie. Not because you don't know how to sit, but because you're not an NHL backup goalie. If a team has called you up to be on the roster for an NHL game, that counts as you being in the NHL in my book.

Last note: the singular of "criteria" is "criterion." :-)

Posted by: Robb (---.gradacc.ox.ac.uk)
Date: February 15, 2009 06:44PM

ftyuv
RatushnyFan
In other words: No, you couldn't sit on the bench as a backup goalie. Not because you don't know how to sit, but because you're not an NHL backup goalie. If a team has called you up to be on the roster for an NHL game, that counts as you being in the NHL in my book.
I agree. To be an NHL backup goalie means that you've proven yourself trustworthy for going into the game through your performance in practice and even more importantly, in the AHL. Backup goalie = NHL player.

Date: February 15, 2009 07:57PM

ftyuv
Oops, thank you, I frequently do that.

My criterion excludes players who dressed for a game but did not see any game action. I believe that most hockey databases do not consider sitting NHL experience but no doubt we can debate this until the sun rises. I dug up the data and in my view playing during the game matters. :-)

You get a profile for suiting up

No love from hockeydb

Backup goalie who plays in an NHL game = NHL player

Date: February 15, 2009 10:02PM

RatushnyFan
ftyuv
Oops, thank you, I frequently do that.

My criterion excludes players who dressed for a game but did not see any game action. I believe that most hockey databases do not consider sitting NHL experience but no doubt we can debate this until the sun rises. I dug up the data and in my view playing during the game matters. :-)

You get a profile for suiting up

No love from hockeydb

Backup goalie who plays in an NHL game = NHL player
Props for looking it up. :-)

Date: February 15, 2009 10:15PM

I agree that playing in a game should matter. Nothing against whether the individuals involved (e.g., Elliott) were "worthy" of playing in the NHL, they didn't play in the NHL. The best analogy I can think of: You don't get a varsity letter at Cornell just for dressing, you have to play in a non-exhibition game - and this is true even though dressing means the coaches think you "worthy" of playing if a certain number of other players get badly injured or play like crap.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: February 17, 2009 05:12PM

OB has been sent back to Hamilton.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hortonpv.ul.warwick.net)
Date: February 17, 2009 05:50PM

CowbellGuy
OB has been sent back to Hamilton.

Hard to see him getting out of the Montreal dog house. A change of scenery (and I don't mean to Hamilton) might be best for him. I think he would look great in a Ranger uniform :-D

Date: February 17, 2009 07:07PM

I hope that it's (1) they had to make a move quickly to make room for Schneider versus (2) they actively shopped him for a while and found no takers despite a modest asking price. It seemed like he was playing alright since his return per the blogs...........but you get what you pay for.

Date: February 17, 2009 09:00PM

RatushnyFan
I hope that it's (1) they had to make a move quickly to make room for Schneider versus (2) they actively shopped him for a while and found no takers despite a modest asking price. It seemed like he was playing alright since his return per the blogs...........but you get what you pay for.

#2 might not be so far off-base in that OB has been a scratch for the past 3-4 games. I could understand him being scratched v. Vancouver and their fast forwards, but I was kind of surprised for the other games.

Date: February 17, 2009 11:37PM

San Jose and Edmonton are currently in the second period tied at 2, and Douglas Murray picked up an assist on Patrick Marleau's game-tying goal.

Date: February 18, 2009 12:18AM

sah67
San Jose and Edmonton are currently in the second period tied at 2, and Douglas Murray picked up an assist on Patrick Marleau's game-tying goal.
That was also Marleau's 600 career goal.

Murray later went off with some sort of injury (he was holding his hand) and there hasn't been any further updates on that.

The SJ v. Edmonton game has gotten beyond "chippy", so even if it is a minor injury, they might opt to kept Murray out for the rest of the game rather than risk him doing more damage to it in a fight.

In the pretty goal department, check out Marleau's 2nd goal of the game, a SHG. Mike Grier made a lovely pass.

Shane Hynes?
Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 18, 2009 12:26AM

Speaking (elsewhere) of Shane Hynes, what is he doing now?
Last year he played with the Augusta Lynx (ECHL), but the Wikipedia entry claims he was not on their roster when the team folded in December. I did find on YouTube some PSA's he had recorded while still with the Lynx:

Eat Right

Don't drink and drive

Say "No" to drugs

Exercise

Stay in school
I won't belabor the irony of that last one.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: February 18, 2009 02:07AM

Rita
Murray later went off with some sort of injury (he was holding his hand) and there hasn't been any further updates on that.
Murray did return to the game.

Re: Shane Hynes?
Posted by: JDeafv (---.mae.cornell.edu)
Date: February 18, 2009 08:59AM

Shane Hynes is back at Cornell finishing his degree, his professional hockey career is over.

Posted by: Robb (---.gradacc.ox.ac.uk)
Date: February 18, 2009 09:09AM

JDeafv
Shane Hynes is back at Cornell finishing his degree, his professional hockey career is over.
Bummer for him, but good for him. Hope he does well in his regular career.

Posted by: BCrespi (---.environcorp.com)
Date: February 18, 2009 10:14AM

Robb
JDeafv
Bummer for him, but good for him. Hope he does well in his regular career.

Agreed. That's really too bad. I really think he would have added the physical presence and offensive talent that could have put the 05-06 team over the top. That said, it's always good to hear that guys come back to CU to finish up, which certainly speaks well of the educational and hockey experience while here.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: February 18, 2009 12:41PM

Rita
sah67
That was also Marleau's 600 career goal.
600th career point, you mean.

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login