Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell-Clarkson Postgame Thread

Posted by Trotsky 
Cornell-Clarkson Postgame Thread
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2009 09:41PM

Cornell has recorded 48 of its 143 shutouts under Schafer.

48 Schafer
37 Harkness
15 Bertrand
13 Bawlf
10 Patten
08 No Coach
05 McCutcheon
04 Reycroft
03 Hunter

(Edited with some data for earlier shutouts)
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2009 09:00AM by Trotsky.

Re: Cornell-Clarkson Postgame Thread
Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2009 10:25PM

Trotsky
Cornell has recorded 48 of its 114 shut outs under Schafer.

48 Schafer
31 Harkness
15 Bertrand
10 Patten
05 McCutcheon
04 Reycroft
01 Other

What about the other stat? How many times was Cornell shuout under each
coach?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2009 05:56AM by marty.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2009 10:57PM

marty
Trotsky
Cornell has recorded 48 of its 114 shut outs under Schafer.

48 Schafer
31 Harkness
15 Bertrand
10 Patten
05 McCutcheon
04 Reycroft
01 Other

What about the other stat? Cornell shutout?
Good question, Marty.

Date: January 31, 2009 11:33PM

marty
1 shutout for a team with no named coach.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2009 12:14AM

Trotsky
marty

I think he meant how many times has Cornell been shutout.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2009 12:46AM

Well, obviously a lot better than Friday. Overall you have to be happy about how they came back. The second period was great, just too bad we couldn't put one in. You just had the sense that if any team scored, that might have been it. The Clarkson forecheck was much more to our liking, making for easier breakouts. But I'm becoming more concerned with our defense. Although like last night, a lot of their shots were easily seen by Scrivens, we gave up too many very good chances. I suspect Coach Schafer will get that corrected. Sometimes Riley Nash just seems like he wants to make the perfect assist. I'm amazed at how long he can keep puck control in the offensive zone. But sometimes he might better just take a shot.

Officiating was much better. Did anyone get a good view of what happened to Kennedy? I didn't actually see it. The Clarkson "pussy" cheer with a man down was/is bush. But then their cheering left a lot to be desired. Like SLU, and all past Clarkson away games they rely on drum playing during play to start cheers. I sure wish the league would come down on them. And now the obligatory I don't want to hear from Clarkson bandies that it's their building and they can do what they want, rules are rules, and at least like I said last night they can't do it in Albany.

These last 2 weekends bring us back to reality. We're not a Frozen Four team yet, but I'm still happy with the season. I think all of us would have taken tied for first, if given the chance before this season started.

Date: February 01, 2009 12:52AM

Jim Hyla
And now the obligatory I don't want to hear from Clarkson bandies that it's their building and they can do what they want, rules are rules, and at least like I said last night they can't do it in Albany.

You seem to have a lot of faith in the powers that be in Albany, Jim. I seem to recall Colgate playing its drums over play back in Placid. I don't remember them doing it in Albany... but I don't remember them there at all. Any particular reason in particular for your confidence that they wouldn't get away with it in Albany?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2009 09:44AM by Chris '03.

Date: February 01, 2009 01:37AM

Chris '03
Jim Hyla
And now the obligatory I don't want to hear from Clarkson bandies that it's their building and they can do what they want, rules are rules, and at least like I said last night they can't do it in Albany.

You seem to have a lot of faith in the powers that be in Albany, Jim. I seem to recall Colgate playing its drums over play back in Placid. I don't remember them doing it in Albany... but I don't remember them there at all. Any particular reason in particular for your confidence that they wouldn't get away with it in Albany?
Well, I just don't remember Clk playing that much, if at all, during the play at Albany. I have always heard the Clarksonians talking about doing it in their barn but not away. I've never remembered the obnoxious SLU drum in playoffs. I just think they don't try and break the rules away from home, but I could be wrong. If they did it would be a lot easier to complain to ECAC officials.
Oh, and I FYP. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2009 01:39AM by Jim Hyla.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2009 02:17AM

Whenever dpperk tries to come in here and talk about how great the atmosphere is at Cheel, I'll be happy to disagree. As Jim said, classless fans. Wouldn't have really noticed them if we didn't happen to be right next to the student section. They were loud at times, which is impressive considering there weren't any goals, but definitely a step below Lynah. And as for the language, sexual references, etc...I guess it proves that profanity can't make you better fans.

I was happy with how we played tonight, especially given Friday's result. We gave up too many shots and made some of our usual errors on the breakout and around our own net, but everything else was going in the right direction. We had plenty of quality scoring opportunities, so it just comes down to having someone who can finish. This could have easily been a 1-0 or 2-0 win, in traditional Cornell fashion, and we'd all be happy. Just didn't get that break tonight.

We were more disciplined tonight, especially good since we had the same awful refs and Clarkson was hitting hard. Scrivens looked back at the goal a few times on some of the saves, but he seemed to be back to his usual self. Great puck movement on the powerplay.

Blake Gallagher had a great game, and Collins impressed me a lot this weekend. Riley Nash can skate around anyone on the ice, but that has to translate to some assists or goals. It doesn't help us if he dekes around a couple guys along the boards before losing the puck by the faceoff circle ("left penalty circle?";)

On one of Clarkson's best scoring opportunities, a 2 on 1 in the 3rd...B.Nash had brought the puck through the neutral zone and well into the offensive zone, before losing it. Clarkson makes a quick pass and suddenly Seminoff (Devin had just gone off) is alone looking at 2 Clarkson forwards going back the other way. Nash is thirty feet out of position. And this type of play happens all the time, with Nash out of position and unable to defend against a rush going back the other way.

Really hope Kennedy's ok. I didn't see the hit but it looked like it was a knee injury.

Even after this awful weekend, we're still tied for 1st with four weekends left. Life in Lynahland is still good.

Posted by: Oat (---.c3-0.avec-ubr11.nyr-avec.ny.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 01, 2009 04:06AM

man, at least that game wasn't as dirty as i thought it would be. clarkson never hit us after the whistle. they were respectable.

Posted by: lynah80 (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 01, 2009 04:33AM

My guess for the subjective rankings on Monday:

1) BU
2) Notre Dame
3) Northeastern
4) Michigan
5) Vermont
6) Cornell
7) Denver
8) Miami
9) Minnesota
10) Princeton

==============

INCH 2/1/09

1) BU
2) Notre Dame
3) Michigan
4) Northeastern
5) Vermont
6) Denver
7) Cornell
8) Miami
9) Princeton
10) North Dakota
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2009 01:42AM by lynah80.

Posted by: Townie (67.244.62.---)
Date: February 01, 2009 04:59AM

Oat
man, at least that game wasn't as dirty as i thought it would be. clarkson never hit us after the whistle. they were respectable.

I think Clarkson has reduced their dirty play. They would always get chippy when they fell behind, but did not play that way in the December Lynah game.

Date: February 01, 2009 08:44AM

Chris '03
Trotsky
marty

I think he meant how many times has Cornell been shutout.
Oh. 97.

22 Schafer
20 Patten
17 Bawlf
12 McCutcheon
06 Reycroft
05 Harkness
04 Bertrand
04 Hunter
02 Boeringer
02 Magner
02 No Coach
01 Sawyer

Coach      Games  SHF   Pct  SHA  Pct
Schafer      437   48  11.0   22  5.0
Harkness     218   37  17.0    5  2.3

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2009 09:16AM by Trotsky.

Date: February 01, 2009 10:22AM

ebilmes
On one of Clarkson's best scoring opportunities, a 2 on 1 in the 3rd...B.Nash had brought the puck through the neutral zone and well into the offensive zone, before losing it. Clarkson makes a quick pass and suddenly Seminoff (Devin had just gone off) is alone looking at 2 Clarkson forwards going back the other way. Nash is thirty feet out of position. And this type of play happens all the time, with Nash out of position and unable to defend against a rush going back the other way.

However, it's a forwards responsibility to drop back when he sees a defenseman going in deep. This happens all the time during games, without it Bobby Orr would never have gotten that iconic picture of him flying. I'd have to look at the film, but there was a forward problem on that play.

Date: February 01, 2009 10:56AM

Jim Hyla
However, it's a forwards responsibility to drop back when he sees a defenseman going in deep. This happens all the time during games, without it Bobby Orr would never have gotten that iconic picture of him flying.
Orr managed to be +124 in the 70-71 season. Still the record.

Posted by: Anne 85 (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 01, 2009 11:04AM

Wow -- look at the ratios for the top 4 coaches in the list of shutouts for:

Schafer -- 48 shutouts for, 22 against
Harkness -- 37 for, 5 against
Bertrand -- 15 for, 4 against
Bawlf -- 13 for, 17 against

Not sure exactly what it means, except to confirm that the Harkness teams were pretty amazing.

McCutcheon (5 for, 12 against) was also special (not in a good way).

Posted by: HockeyMan (67.244.37.---)
Date: February 01, 2009 11:08AM

ebilmes
Whenever dpperk tries to come in here and talk about how great the atmosphere is at Cheel, I'll be happy to disagree. As Jim said, classless fans. Wouldn't have really noticed them if we didn't happen to be right next to the student section. They were loud at times, which is impressive considering there weren't any goals, but definitely a step below Lynah. And as for the language, sexual references, etc...I guess it proves that profanity can't make you better fans.

I was happy with how we played tonight, especially given Friday's result. We gave up too many shots and made some of our usual errors on the breakout and around our own net, but everything else was going in the right direction. We had plenty of quality scoring opportunities, so it just comes down to having someone who can finish. This could have easily been a 1-0 or 2-0 win, in traditional Cornell fashion, and we'd all be happy. Just didn't get that break tonight.

We were more disciplined tonight, especially good since we had the same awful refs and Clarkson was hitting hard. Scrivens looked back at the goal a few times on some of the saves, but he seemed to be back to his usual self. Great puck movement on the powerplay.

Blake Gallagher had a great game, and Collins impressed me a lot this weekend. Riley Nash can skate around anyone on the ice, but that has to translate to some assists or goals. It doesn't help us if he dekes around a couple guys along the boards before losing the puck by the faceoff circle ("left penalty circle?";)

Really hope Kennedy's ok. I didn't see the hit but it looked like it was a knee injury.

Even after this awful weekend, we're still tied for 1st with four weekends left. Life in Lynahland is still good.

These are the kinds of posts I love to see. Meaty yet concise, and with some insight into who played well and who didn't, what worked and what did not. Well done.

Agree on B Nash.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (128.153.220.---)
Date: February 01, 2009 01:26PM

ebilmes

Apparently you have never read the posts I have made saying how much I hate some of the cheers by the students at Cheel. I was one of the people yelling for people to stop when they were chanting "Pussy" and "S-H-I-T That Spells IVY".

I have never said that the atmosphere at Cheel is better than the one at lynah, but I could make the argument that if half of Cheel was filled with students the way half of Lynah is, the atmosphere would be much better. At least Clarkson students show up on time (most are early).

As for the drums, I don't like it either, but if you listen first someone starts the chant and then the drummers start in.

The hockey game was great, Ben Scrivens was the difference. Reffing was pretty good, and I thought for the most part both teams played clean games. I am not sure what happened to Kennedy, but I do hope he is ok.

Date: February 01, 2009 01:42PM

I'm relieved to hear you were disappointed with some of the cheers.

On a side note, Dpperk29, if you want to know who threw rocks at your band during the game at Appleton, he works at the Domino's at the Mobil station on Rte 11 in Canton.

Posted by: Drew (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 01, 2009 02:25PM

Dpperk29
I am not sure what happened to Kennedy, but I do hope he is ok.

Kennedy was knocked unconcsious by Dan Tuttle, and received some stitches on his chin.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 01, 2009 03:07PM

The only observation/critique I can make regarding this weekend is whether we had the right checking lines for each night.

Punches was in for Roeszler on Saturday. One would assume, barring some unknown injury, that this was due to Roeszler's -2 on Friday. (EDIT: Or a poorly timed cross-check.) But the power play seems to hum with Roeszler quarterbacking, and how beneficial it would have been to have him on Saturday.

I will try my best Yogi Berra here: a power play goal on Saturday would've made all the difference.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2009 03:20PM by Scersk '97.

Date: February 01, 2009 03:30PM

Dpperk29
As for the drums, I don't like it either, but if you listen first someone starts the chant and then the drummers start in.

I don't care who starts it, the fact is the band shouldn't play, PERIOD. And yes, this obviously bothers me. I cannot understand why some schools get a free ride on this, and we have to worry about a cowbell.

Date: February 01, 2009 03:36PM

Jim Hyla
Dpperk29

I don't care who starts it, the fact is the band shouldn't play, PERIOD. And yes, this obviously bothers me. I cannot understand why some schools get a free ride on this, and we have to worry about a cowbell.

I wasn't trying to address the legality of doing it as much as I was trying to address the "They rely and drummers to start their cheers comment"

Date: February 01, 2009 03:38PM

Drew
Dpperk29
I am not sure what happened to Kennedy, but I do hope he is ok.

Kennedy was knocked unconcsious by Dan Tuttle, and received some stitches on his chin.

was it a clean hit?

Date: February 01, 2009 05:11PM

Scersk '97
The only observation/critique I can make regarding this weekend is whether we had the right checking lines for each night.

Punches was in for Roeszler on Saturday. One would assume, barring some unknown injury, that this was due to Roeszler's -2 on Friday. (EDIT: Or a poorly timed cross-check.) But the power play seems to hum with Roeszler quarterbacking, and how beneficial it would have been to have him on Saturday.

I had some similar thoughts. It was odd that both Punches and Nicholls were out on Friday, since they usually alternate games on the checking line. After the terrible loss Friday, I expected Schafer to make more than one lineup change. I thought Whitney might go in for Jillson, and certainly thought Nicholls would get the start over Punches.

Posted by: daredevilcu (---.dsl1.nrwc.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 01, 2009 05:25PM

We can and have done it in Albany. It's just harder to hear when we're in the balcony. In case you haven't already figured it out, the league is far more concerned with what goes on ON the ice, rather than OFF it. Complain as much as you want, that'll never change. As much as we like to think we have a major effect on the outcome, we really don't, so there isn't really a need to enforce those "rules" that are pretty much never enforced by anyone except arena staff. One time ever I've heard officials warn a band.

Also, I hope Kennedy is OK, I didn't see what happened to him at all.

Speaking of Roeszler
Posted by: sah67 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 01, 2009 05:26PM

When was the last time we had a player who, at a mighty 5'6" and 167 lbs, led the team in PIMs more than halfway through the season? screwy

Date: February 01, 2009 05:29PM

Jim Hyla
Dpperk29

If you honestly care that much, send a letter in to the league. Seriously, its pretty sad that you need to harp on this to stay on your high horse. Get over it.

Posted by: sms257 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2009 06:35PM

Nicholls was hurt this weekend and didn't travel. From what I've heard he should be back next weekend.

Date: February 01, 2009 07:45PM

daredevilcu
Jim Hyla
Dpperk29

If you honestly care that much, send a letter in to the league. Seriously, its pretty sad that you need to harp on this to stay on your high horse. Get over it.

Sad to you, not to me. To each his own. I like to play by the rules, as does our band, that's one reason I support them with candy, money and posts.

You notice I don't go on the Roundtable to complain. I keep it here.

Date: February 01, 2009 10:46PM

Kudos to you for supporting the Cornell band with money, and I mean that sincerely. It can be awful tough for bands to convince people to give 'em money, and I know that from experience. Every little bit helps when road trips cost over 4000 bucks just for the bus.

Re: Speaking of Roeszler
Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: February 03, 2009 04:54PM

sah67
When was the last time we had a player who, at a mighty 5'6" and 167 lbs, led the team in PIMs more than halfway through the season? screwy

I'm guessing that Kevin Pettit probably shares this honor.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2009 04:56PM by ninian '72.

Date: February 03, 2009 07:34PM

ninian '72
sah67

And that name brings a smile to my face. The way the team used to check their opponents into oblivion was a joy to behold. Today I would probably cringe. They were cruel - in a good way - if that's possible.

Date: February 03, 2009 09:14PM

ninian '72
sah67

And if he doesn't, it's not for lack of trying.nut

Posted by: Rich S (209.212.23.---)
Date: February 04, 2009 05:57PM

Jim,

I've experienced the antics, profane and otherwise tasteless, at Lynah several times in the past 10-12 years.

As offensive as the crowd at Cheel may be, and I've been there several times when school is in session over the same time period, I believe it's fair to say that you have little or nothing to complain in comparing the two.

I'll be in the NC this weekend for the home and home vs SLU and will pay attention to the fan behavior at both. I'm looking forward to a loud and rowdy (but not profane or tasteless) behavior at Cheel as I have great memories of how the place rocked in the early 70s during my years. Cheel has approached that level too infrequently since it opened in my opinion.

As for complaints about the bands behavior, I've witnessed the home band at Lynah break the rules often but I don't see it as a major issue. If you do re: the home band at Cheel, then by all means, contact the league office.

And feel free to state your opinion on the Roundtable. The folks there are not nearly as thin-skinned as many of you are here.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2009 05:58PM by Rich S.

Date: February 04, 2009 06:13PM

Rich S
As for complaints about the bands behavior, I've witnessed the home band at Lynah break the rules often...

No you haven't. Good try though.

Posted by: Rich S (209.212.23.---)
Date: February 04, 2009 06:16PM

Chris '03
Rich S
As for complaints about the bands behavior, I've witnessed the home band at Lynah break the rules often...

In fact, I have beginning in '97. That included those directed at Section O spectators as well as the Clarkson band.

Date: February 04, 2009 07:06PM

Rich S
Chris '03
Rich S

In fact, I have beginning in '97. That included those directed at Section O spectators as well as the Clarkson band.

I'm not really sure what you mean. Care to clarify? Cite examples?

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 04, 2009 11:17PM

Chris '03

Don't waste your time. Rich S will never answer your questions. If you show any frustration he'll go into his "you can dish it out but you can't take it" routine. Very predictable.

Posted by: RichH (12.231.146.---)
Date: February 05, 2009 01:11AM

nyc94
Chris '03

Don't waste your time. Rich S will never answer your questions. If you show any frustration he'll go into his "you can dish it out but you can't take it" routine. Very predictable.

Nuh-uhh. You never answer questions. You're the one who goes into a "you can dish it out" routine. You're the one who is very predictable.

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 05, 2009 03:16AM

RichH
nyc94
Chris '03

Nuh-uhh. You never answer questions. You're the one who goes into a "you can dish it out" routine. You're the one who is very predictable.

Typical. rolleyes

Date: February 05, 2009 05:56AM

Rich S
Jim,

I've experienced the antics, profane and otherwise tasteless, at Lynah several times in the past 10-12 years.

As offensive as the crowd at Cheel may be, and I've been there several times when school is in session over the same time period, I believe it's fair to say that you have little or nothing to complain in comparing the two.

I'll be in the NC this weekend for the home and home vs SLU and will pay attention to the fan behavior at both. I'm looking forward to a loud and rowdy (but not profane or tasteless) behavior at Cheel as I have great memories of how the place rocked in the early 70s during my years. Cheel has approached that level too infrequently since it opened in my opinion.

As for complaints about the bands behavior, I've witnessed the home band at Lynah break the rules often but I don't see it as a major issue. If you do re: the home band at Cheel, then by all means, contact the league office.

And feel free to state your opinion on the Roundtable. The folks there are not nearly as thin-skinned as many of you are here.

Rich,

When did they let you out? I was hoping you wouldn't stay away for the entire season.rolleyes

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.crh.noaa.gov)
Date: February 05, 2009 06:41AM

marty
Rich,

When did they let you out? I was hoping you wouldn't stay away for the entire season.rolleyes

Well Clarkson is 4-1-1 in their last six after starting 3-13-4, coinciding nicely with a 1-2-1 speed bump for Cornell. But I might be considered to too thin skinned if I mention that as a reason for him to try and stir the pot.

Though I would like some clarification on what rules the band broke too. There were plenty of cheers directed at the Clarkson band, I don't know what rules were broken however.

Posted by: Robb (---.gradacc.ox.ac.uk)
Date: February 05, 2009 08:08AM

oceanst41
Though I would like some clarification on what rules the band broke too. There were plenty of cheers directed at the Clarkson band, I don't know what rules were broken however.
Let me guess: on an occasion or two, the band didn't stop exactly at the instant the puck hit the ice on a faceoff. You rebels!
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2009 09:58AM by Robb.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 05, 2009 09:30AM

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: February 05, 2009 12:15PM

Trotsky
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/01/Troll_nicht_fuettern_gruen.png

I'd have expected that from Wheelan, but not from you wow

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 05, 2009 02:21PM

Marty,Thanks for the sarcastic response. As others here would say.."typical."

Had a couple of surgeries between early Nov and mid December (the 2nd was an emergency) and since then less time and energy has not allowed for posting here. The return has nothing to do with Clarkson's recently improved record. More focused on work!

Hope those of you who made the trek to the NC last weekend enjoyed the games and eateries. Jim, I hope the Clarkson band didn't detract from the weekend for you. Seems like it may have. Somehow I didn't let the Cornell band spoil my trips to Lynah in recent years. Buck Up, eh?

Sounds like I may be experiencing Dave's and Sergi's, both in Canton tomn'w night if I get up there early enough. Have never been to either and am looking fwd to it.

Cheers!

Date: February 05, 2009 02:29PM

In both '97 and '99, the two bands engaged in a "battle" in which both played over the other several times including well after the puck had dropped.

Cornell's band chanted tasteless cheers at Section O throughout and made similar gestures. You can use your imagination.

Band behavior on both sides was better in my two trips to Lynah since then, the last being in the '06 playoffs. Glad to see that.

I also observed a sizeable portion of "the faithful" cheering after a Clarkson player went down hurt and lay motionless on the ice for awhile in the '99 game. Very classy.

On the other hand, in '97 when the Clarkson fans in attendance chanted "Hobey Baker" for Todd White, some cornell fans applauded immediately thereafter. That was a much appreciated if surprising response.

Date: February 05, 2009 02:32PM

sorry to disappoint you with the responses.

Sometimes that "can't take it" phrase just fits, as is often the case with the crowd here. :-)

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.nyc.deshaw.com)
Date: February 05, 2009 02:51PM

Rich S, it's clear that each school's respective student sections won't be receiving the Lady Byng Trophy anytime soon. I've seen the Clarkson students in your rink in person (although not recently) and in videos and you're not going to convince me that the Cornell student section is worse. You're here to stir the sh!t pot, plain and simple. No Cornell supporter I'm aware of does that on the Clarkson forum, although I admit my knowledge of that is not up-to-date since I stopped going there and trying to contribute when I got fed up with Goldie's absurd posts and vitriol for all things Cornell.

Date: February 05, 2009 03:06PM

Rich S
Cornell's band chanted tasteless cheers at Section O throughout and made similar gestures. You can use your imagination.

My imagination hasn't the slightest idea what you consider to be tasteless and/or vulgar. And it seems rather pointless to bring up examples are over decade old unless you just want to start an argument.

Date: February 05, 2009 03:14PM

Profanities and obscene gestures...that should be clear enough. Heard and saw them as recently as 2006 playoffs, directed at Section O. Much more recent than a decade ago.

Date: February 05, 2009 03:21PM

Rich S
Profanities and obscene gestures...that should be clear enough. Heard and saw them as recently as 2006 playoffs, directed at Section O. Much more recent than a decade ago.

Seems to me that a large section of people chanting obscenities in 2006 would have been thrown out of the rink. But I'll take your word for it.

edit: Actually in one of your previous posts your examples were from 1997 and 1999. And you said "Band behavior on both sides was better in my two trips to Lynah since then, the last being in the '06 playoffs. Glad to see that" so I don't think I was off in pointing out that your examples were quite old. Now you bring up obscenities in 2006?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2009 03:28PM by nyc94.

Date: February 05, 2009 03:21PM

Jason,

Avoiding the Roundtable is your choice, no one there is chasing you away. If Goldie's posts upset you, they you're thin-skinned.

The stuff you guys direct at me here doesn't upset me but then, I'm a former goalie so not much does. :-D

I never claimed that the fans at Cheel were choir boys but having experienced both them and the crowd at Lynah, my opinion is that the latter is more offensive.

But maybe you should take that as a compliment since y'all think that acting in that manner gets under the skin of the opposing team.

I can tell you from years of watching and reporting that it doesn't except in rare cases.

If you believe I'm here to stir the pot, go ahead. But that isn't the case and never has been, except for the occasional spar with your choir boy, Al D. lol...

Date: February 05, 2009 03:27PM

The game I attended was so intense on the ice that I wasn't paying any attention to anyone being tossed. The chants, especially and gestures were hard to miss.

Date: February 05, 2009 03:30PM

Rich S
The game I attended was so intense on the ice that I wasn't paying any attention to anyone being tossed. The chants, especially and gestures were hard to miss.

In one of your previous posts your examples were from 1997 and 1999. And you said "Band behavior on both sides was better in my two trips to Lynah since then, the last being in the '06 playoffs. Glad to see that" So I don't think I was off in pointing out that your examples were quite old. Now you bring up obscenities in 2006. I'm confused. Again, not saying it didn't happen.

Date: February 05, 2009 04:12PM

Sorry for the confusion there. My bad.

What I meant was that the exchanges between the bands in 2006 playoffs and on my prior vist, (perhaps 2003?) were less in number and in "violation" of the rules than in '97 and '99.

In the playoff game I attended in '06, the stuff directed at spectators in Section O and to a lesser degree the band was clearly audible and visible. And tasteless as described earlier. I don't like that from ANY side, regardless of rooting interest.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: February 05, 2009 04:21PM

JasonN95
No Cornell supporter I'm aware of does that on the Clarkson forum, although I admit my knowledge of that is not up-to-date since I stopped going there and trying to contribute when I got fed up with Goldie's absurd posts and vitriol for all things Cornell.

Cornell Albany Alumni Bear is the person I remember doing that, but I haven't seen anything from him anywhere in quite some time.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 05, 2009 04:35PM

Rich S
Sorry for the confusion there. My bad.

What I meant was that the exchanges between the bands in 2006 playoffs and on my prior vist, (perhaps 2003?) were less in number and in "violation" of the rules than in '97 and '99.

In the playoff game I attended in '06, the stuff directed at spectators in Section O and to a lesser degree the band was clearly audible and visible. And tasteless as described earlier. I don't like that from ANY side, regardless of rooting interest.

I was there during those 2006 playoff games, while I don't doubt there were clearly audible and visible tasteless gestures they were by no means organized beyond a select few. Probably the same idiots from the MSU games from earlier in the year. No better or worse than anything I've seen at Cheel.

That is unless "Section O sucks," booing the band, and "We can't hear you" are considering tasteless now. ;-)

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.nyc.deshaw.com)
Date: February 05, 2009 04:39PM

Goldie didn't upset me, it just wasn't worth my time to wade through Goldie's posts that made up a measurable chunk of the content on the Roundtable and sound like a schoolgirl writing about her favorite boy band.

I disagree that the Cornell students are worse --we each are wearing our own tinted glasses, perhaps. I'm confident though that Clarkson's are ill behaved enough that you coming onto the Cornell forum to tell us how bad ours are strikes me as audacious unless you saying the same on the Roundtable about your own fans.

And if you're not stirring the pot, what are you here for? Are you posting something that you sincerely think will be interesting to Cornell hockey fans or college hockey fans? Pretty much all I ever see from you are "no I'm/we're not, you are!" posts.

Date: February 05, 2009 05:37PM

Rich S

Had a couple of surgeries between early Nov and mid December (the 2nd was an emergency) and since then less time and energy has not allowed for posting here. The return has nothing to do with Clarkson's recently improved record. More focused on work!...Cheers!

So that was a hospital ID tag that you cut off your wrist. Somehow I had a vision of an ankle bracelet. Welcome back to the real world.

Date: February 05, 2009 05:40PM

jtwcornell91
JasonN95
No Cornell supporter I'm aware of does that on the Clarkson forum, although I admit my knowledge of that is not up-to-date since I stopped going there and trying to contribute when I got fed up with Goldie's absurd posts and vitriol for all things Cornell.

Cornell Albany Alumni Bear is the person I remember doing that, but I haven't seen anything from him anywhere in quite some time.

"The Chief" Albany Alumni Bear is alive and well and certainly has been sparse in this forum for months and months.

Date: February 05, 2009 05:46PM

Rich S
Jason,

Avoiding the Roundtable is your choice, no one there is chasing you away. If Goldie's posts upset you, they you're thin-skinned.

The stuff you guys direct at me here doesn't upset me but then, I'm a former goalie so not much does. :-D

Too bad you couldn't afford a mask or helmet.

Posted by: Rich S (130.156.38.---)
Date: February 05, 2009 07:41PM

JasonN95

And if you're not stirring the pot, what are you here for? Are you posting something that you sincerely think will be interesting to Cornell hockey fans or college hockey fans? Pretty much all I ever see from you are "no I'm/we're not, you are!" posts.

It appears that you have either selective memory or selective vision. I've posted many comments that SHOULD be of interest to other college hockey fans, notably Cornell fans. Hardly the stuff pot stirring is made of.

Seems to me that you view those who are not Red fans as unwelcome interlopers. That's unfortunate because as I said, I have no problem with others visting and posting on the Roundtable and never have.

Date: February 05, 2009 07:43PM

marty
Rich S
Jason,

Too bad you couldn't afford a mask or helmet.

Wrong again. In my time, I spent my share on a quality mask. Never thought I'd need it at Lynah as a fan though. screwy

Date: February 05, 2009 07:46PM

marty
Rich S

Had a couple of surgeries between early Nov and mid December (the 2nd was an emergency) and since then less time and energy has not allowed for posting here. The return has nothing to do with Clarkson's recently improved record. More focused on work!...Cheers!

So that was a hospital ID tag that you cut off your wrist. Somehow I had a vision of an ankle bracelet. Welcome back to the real world.

Marty,

When and if you're ever required to have emergency surgery, I sure hope you appreciate that it's no laughing matter.

That is, if you ever grow up. When you do, you'll be welcome in the "real world."

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 05, 2009 07:54PM

Rich S has been known to contribute genuinely insightful hockey commentary on this board. It generally happens when he's not being baited.

Todd White is still one of the best players I've ever seen at the college level. Back then, we didn't have any remotely legitimate Hobey contenders, so it was easier to recognize and appreciate a standout on another team.

Glad you're healthy, Rich.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: February 05, 2009 08:58PM

Rich S
JasonN95

Seems to me that you view those who are not Red fans as unwelcome interlopers. That's unfortunate because as I said, I have no problem with others visting and posting on the Roundtable and never have.

Rich, it's nothing personal, but I think it's just you that they don't like.

Date: February 05, 2009 09:01PM

Beeeej
Todd White is still one of the best players I've ever seen at the college level. Back then, we didn't have any remotely legitimate Hobey contenders, so it was easier to recognize and appreciate a standout on another team.

Agreed. Todd White was indeed dominant.

Some of our surly behavior in '97 probably had to do with how thoroughly outplayed we were in both regular season games that year. I have never experienced another loss quite like losing to Clarkson at Lynah in February of 1997. Those Knights just inexorably marched to victory. Even when we opened the scoring, it didn't feel like a lead.

It probably felt a whole lot like losing to RPI in 1985, Harvard in 1986, Harvard and SLU from 1988–89, and us in 2002, 2003, and 2005. We were good, but they were just better.

At least, in the regular season...

Not to be cruel, but I think we could hear the sound of that 1997 Clarkson team choking all the way out in Grand Rapids. Colossal choke. That was the year in which, once and for all, Morris became "the coach that can't win the big one." I mean, even Vermont made the Frozen Four in 1996, and they were choke artistes...

I think I ended up being cruel. innocent
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2009 09:02PM by Scersk '97.

Date: February 05, 2009 11:08PM

Beeeej
Rich S has been known to contribute genuinely insightful hockey commentary on this board. It generally happens when he's not being baited.

Yes, he has said insightful things. But baited? Not always.

Date: February 05, 2009 11:57PM

nyc94
Beeeej

So glad you agree with me.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: February 06, 2009 12:04AM

Beeeej
nyc94
Beeeej

I'm not so sure I do. You ignore the times he doesn't say anything insightful and he isn't baited.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2009 12:09AM by nyc94.

Date: February 06, 2009 12:13AM

nyc94
Beeeej
nyc94
Beeeej

I'm not so sure I do. You ignore the times he doesn't say anything insightful and he isn't baited.

No, I don't. Please point out the part of my post where I claim to describe everything he ever says and all the circumstances under which he does or doesn't say it.

You need a little work on your contrapositives.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: min (---.dynamic.hinet.net)
Date: February 06, 2009 05:27AM

I got nothing to add to the pissing contests that sometimes occur here on the forum, but... when will we have an 'Ignore User' option on elynah? Or am I asking a bit too much? :-)

Posted by: marty (---.roc.choiceone.net)
Date: February 06, 2009 08:01AM

min
I got nothing to add to the pissing contests that sometimes occur here on the forum, but... when will we have an 'Ignore User' option on elynah? Or am I asking a bit too much? :-)

No one has proof he's a user.

Date: February 06, 2009 08:52AM

Beeeej
No, I don't. Please point out the part of my post where I claim to describe everything he ever says and all the circumstances under which he does or doesn't say it.

I did not make that assertion.

Date: February 06, 2009 09:35AM

Scersk '97
It probably felt a whole lot like losing to RPI in 1985, Harvard in 1986, Harvard and SLU from 1988–89, and us in 2002, 2003, and 2005. We were good, but they were just better.
Harvard in 86 and SLU in 88-89 didn't feel like that. They were "sneaky good" -- it felt like you played them even, maybe even outplayed them, and then at the end you look at the scoreboard and you lost anyway.

RPI '85 and Harvard in '89 were like that, though. You were dead the moment you took the ice against them. I'd like to think Cornell '03 was like that, too, but of course, different perspective (and Cornell's defensive style can turn any game into a nail-biter).

Date: February 06, 2009 10:22AM

nyc94
Beeeej

I did not make that assertion.

You pretty much had to, in order to say that I "ignored" the contingencies that my statements didn't cover.

I basically said when A, generally B has been true. Your response was that I ignored the times that B is untrue. And I did no such thing.

Go take a logic class. I'm serious, you'll appreciate it.

- Steve Worona

Date: February 06, 2009 11:14AM

"When Lawyers Attack"

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: February 06, 2009 12:38PM

Trotsky
"When Lawyers Attack"

Unless of course, they're a defense attorney. banana

Date: February 06, 2009 02:03PM

Trotsky
Scersk '97
Harvard in 86 and SLU in 88-89 didn't feel like that. They were "sneaky good" -- it felt like you played them even, maybe even outplayed them, and then at the end you look at the scoreboard and you lost anyway.

RPI '85 and Harvard in '89 were like that, though. You were dead the moment you took the ice against them. I'd like to think Cornell '03 was like that, too, but of course, different perspective (and Cornell's defensive style can turn any game into a nail-biter).

I like the "sneaky good" vs. "demoralizingly good" distinction. In fact, if this year's team is one of those, it's sneaky good.

Was 2003 demoralizingly good? Yeah, I think so. I think most teams knew they were going to lose when they stepped on the ice against us. In fact, the opening of that semifinal vs. UHN felt like the Imperial March might as well have been playing in the background. The 'Cats were shaking in their boots.

And then there was that 10-minute intermission...

And then things fell apart in the second scene.

Argh.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login