Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

CU-SLU(t) Postgame

Posted by Jim Hyla 
CU-SLU(t) Postgame
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2009 01:46AM

HockeyMan
billhoward
This game doesn't deserve a postgame thread.

On the contrary, I would like precisely such a thread after a night like this. Could someone who saw it give us at least a paragraph on what happened?

We stunk. Not an 8-1 stinking, but we stunk. Our defense broke down in multiple aspects. We had our traditional break-out problems. That was especially true when they put 2 in against us. I don't remember how many goals were a pass right out front of our goalie and an easy unobstructed goal, but at least 2. some of their goals were marginally flukey, but that's not the reason we lost, we just played terrible defense for 2 periods. Although we gave up goals in the third, we were pressing on offense so that can happen.

We deserved to lose, but the officiating was atrocious. I'd be interested in how they said it over the air, but the refs never had control. Some of the penalties should have been noncalls. Riley Nash's at the end was a good example. The SLU player lost his edge and Riley had him from behind. No way did he cause him to fall.

Another was when we pulled Garman, they blew the whistle for too many men on us. Opps, they had to have a center ice face-off, but the idea of jumping on and surprising SLU was then lost. The initial too many men call in the third was also hysterical. They called a penalty, then all huddled at the penalty box, announced the call; then I think we objected, they huddled at the penalty box again and announced no call.

In the first when our player was injured, sorry I forgot who, they huddled and no one could find a penalty to call. However seconds after the play resumed there was a call against SLU. A makeup.

So, I guess you could say 2 of the 3 teams on the ice were terrible.

After tonight I think I'm going to have to stop complaining about swearing at games. :) It was so poorly officiated that I couldn't contain myself. Not that the calls determined the outcome, but just a very poorly officiated game. I also had a good time adding the t to their cheer. I don't usually like doing that, but they are so blatant about their playing of their drum during play, I just had to do it. :) This is a routine with them at home and I wish the league would do something about it. I complained to the SLU officials last year, to no avail. At least if they get to Albany they won't be allowed to do it, and that's why a SLU crowd never has the enthusiasm shown by other schools. Hell, even Harvard has a pep band to bring to the first game at Albany. Even if they never show up the second night, regardless if they're in the finals or not.

So, all in all, a very unsatisfactory night. Not to take anything away from the SLU team, but the refs really made it a tough game to watch.

Oh, one more thing. I should have known it was going to be a bad night when at 6PM I bought a "program" and sat down to read it. They had the Cornell and Colgate lineups in correctly, but the whole description of the weekend was about RPI and Union starting a 4 game homestand for SLU(t). Obviously the printer put last weeks (or is it week's) writeup in this weeks program. Good proofreading guys.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2009 02:00AM by Jim Hyla.

Re: CU-SLU(t) Postgame
Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2009 03:42AM

Well, what happened was, that second period, we got our ass kicked. In the second period, we just got our ass totally kicked. We couldn’t do diddly poo offensively, we couldn’t make a hit, we couldn’t pass the puck, we didn’t try to pass the puck, we couldn’t complete a shot - we sucked. The second period, we sucked. We couldn't stop them. Every time they got the puck, they went down and got a goal. We got our ass totally kicked in the second period - that's what it boiled down to. It was a horseshit performance in the second period. Horseshit. I’m totally embarrassed and totally ashamed. Coaching did a horrible job. The players did a horrible job. We got our ass kicked in that second period. It sucked. It stunk.

What's that? Uh -- NCAAs? Don't talk about -- NCAAs? You kidding me? NCAAs? I just hope we can win a game! Another game.

:-P

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2009 06:14AM

But how'd we play in the second period?

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 31, 2009 07:57AM

Jim Mora
Well, what happened was, that second period, we got our ass kicked. In the second period, we just got our ass totally kicked. We couldn’t do diddly poo offensively, we couldn’t make a hit, we couldn’t pass the puck, we didn’t try to pass the puck, we couldn’t complete a shot - we sucked. The second period, we sucked. We couldn't stop them. Every time they got the puck, they went down and got a goal. We got our ass totally kicked in the second period - that's what it boiled down to. It was a horseshit performance in the second period. Horseshit. I’m totally embarrassed and totally ashamed. Coaching did a horrible job. The players did a horrible job. We got our ass kicked in that second period. It sucked. It stunk.

What's that? Uh -- NCAAs? Don't talk about -- NCAAs? You kidding me? NCAAs? I just hope we can win a game! Another game.
FYP

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 31, 2009 09:12AM

Really.

After the 4th SLU goal I turned off b2. I was so depressed I actually watched a Jane Austen movie with my wife.

And, I've decided to never again wear my white CU hockey hat during a game.
I wore it for the first time against Yale. Shoulda known. It's back to the red CCM hat for me.

Let's hope it works tonight.

Oh, and...screw BU.

rock

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2009 09:46AM

Johnny 5
Really.

After the 4th SLU goal I turned off b2. I was so depressed I actually watched a Jane Austen movie with my wife.

I wore it for the first time against Yale. Shoulda known. It's back to the red CCM hat for me.

Oh, and...screw BU.

rock
Thanks, we needed a reason. Now we can play to win again.**]

Posted by: lynah80 (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 31, 2009 10:38AM

The team will adjust. They came back strongly after the loss to N. Dakota. They can do it again.

Posted by: HeafDog (---.c3-0.80w-ubr4.nyr-80w.ny.cable.rcn.com)
Date: January 31, 2009 11:35AM

French Rage

Posted by: Oat (---.c3-0.avec-ubr11.nyr-avec.ny.cable.rcn.com)
Date: January 31, 2009 11:52AM

Our story didn't make the front page on USCHO. That article talks about every upset that happened in college hockey last night, except for our game vs St.Lawrence.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2009 02:40PM

Johnny 5

Maybe the team will be changing their rituals and superstitions, too.

Date: January 31, 2009 04:10PM

David Harding
Johnny 5

Maybe the team will be changing their rituals and superstitions, too.

I only wish we were at home tonight.

Many years ago we were down by a good 4 (?) goals late in the third period. Let's say it was against Clarkson. Disgusted, my wife & I left for our 45 minute ride home. Well, CU came back & won. Thereafter, a tradition emerged.

If CU was losing, with around 5 minutes left, we would head home. And, in the vast majority of instances Cornell either came back to tie or win; the alternative being also true. The recent Yale game was a notable exception. CU scored, but only once. I think we left too late??

Anyhow, it has become such a known factor in our section that, if Cornell is behind, the ticket attendant will actually come down the aisle to tell me it's time to go home. (At least I think that's the reason?)

Sorry. No such scientific data regarding away games.

Like I said, I wish this was a home game.

drive

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2009 04:21PM

Johnny 5
And, in the vast majority of instances Cornell either came back to tie or win; the alternative being also true.

wtfSay what???wtf

Date: January 31, 2009 09:30PM

TimV
Johnny 5
And, in the vast majority of instances Cornell either came back to tie or win; the alternative being also true.

wtfSay what???wtf

Exactly!!

;-)

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 31, 2009 11:15PM

TimV
Johnny 5

wtfSay what???wtf
If they stayed, Cornell usually lost.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2009 01:59AM

After the too many men mixup in the 3rd, Schafer actually jumped onto the boards between the Cornell bench and the ice in order to more dramatically yell at the officials.

I agree completely with Jim's feeling that the game wasn't in control. The officials let things get out of hand, then tried to make up for it by calling phantom penalties.

I wonder if when faced with an aggressive two-man forecheck at the start of the game, the team panicked a little, thinking it would be a repeat of Yale. The first goal probably eroded the confidence a little more, so that even when SLUt went back to a less aggressive forecheck, we didn't feel like we could win.

Interesting the B.Nash was back in the starting lineup tonight after being ejected by Schafer last night.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2009 09:51AM

ebilmes

Interesting the B.Nash was back in the starting lineup tonight after being ejected by Schafer last night.

Who was going to play in his place? You can only travel with so many players.

Date: February 01, 2009 11:58AM

Chris '03
ebilmes

Who was going to play in his place? You can only travel with so many players.

I wasn't surprised he was playing, but rather that the Devin-Nash pairing started.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: February 02, 2009 01:12PM

ebilmes
And from whence did this nugget of information come?

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: February 02, 2009 01:23PM

CowbellGuy
ebilmes
IIRC, ebilmes posted a recap of watching Schafer order Nash to the locker room in the game thread.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2009 01:31PM

ugarte
CowbellGuy
ebilmes
IIRC, ebilmes posted a recap of watching Schafer order Nash to the locker room in the game thread.
Yeah, I think it was at the 8:01 mark when there were all the misconducts and those players were sent to the dressing room. I saw B. Nash come off the ice and go to the locker room. He did not have a penalty, nor look hurt; and it was then that I was told Schafer motioned for him to get off the ice and go to lockers. I never saw it myself, but there was no other obvious reason for him to leave.

Date: February 02, 2009 08:57PM

CowbellGuy
ebilmes

I don't know what else it could have been. I'm definitely open to hearing another account of it.

Posted by: Tom Tone (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2009 09:06PM

He swore and Athletics kicked him out.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: February 02, 2009 09:48PM

Well, I didn't see it, only listened. I thought perhaps by that point the game had gotten out of hand and Schafer didn't want to risk any more injured defensemen.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2009 11:36PM

CowbellGuy
Well, I didn't see it, only listened. I thought perhaps by that point the game had gotten out of hand and Schafer didn't want to risk any more injured defensemen.
Or having him do something stupid and therefore sit out the Clarkson game.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login