Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell #4 USCHO Rankings

Posted by ginger 
Cornell #4 USCHO Rankings
Posted by: ginger (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 26, 2009 01:40PM

Loss to Yale, slipped from #3 to #4. [www.uscho.com]

Re: Cornell #4 USCHO Rankings
Posted by: ginger (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 26, 2009 01:42PM

And Yale gets #18. Go figure.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.citlabs.cornell.edu)
Date: January 26, 2009 03:47PM

Same in USA Today

[www.usatoday.com]

Down from #2-->#3 in INCH.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2009 03:48PM by ebilmes.

Cornell is ranked where?
Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2009 05:56PM

Sometimes I think that there is another poll that is of use .... the one in my head. I don't think we are a #4 team. I would love to see us in the Frozen Four, but I don't expect it. If we do make it I'll find some way to be there!

I would say the Red is top ten for sure, but beyond number ten might be a stretch.

What do others think our rank should be at this point. And no I don't want Seth Appert's opinion.

Re: Cornell is ranked where?
Posted by: Oat (---.c3-0.avec-ubr11.nyr-avec.ny.cable.rcn.com)
Date: January 26, 2009 07:35PM

I think we are right around where we should be. If we can stay in the top four and earn a #1 seed in the NCAA regional, we will most likely make the Frozen Four. But if we slip to #6 or #7 and have to face BU or Notre Dame, it will be a coin flip.

Posted by: lynah80 (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 26, 2009 07:41PM

I think most people would agree that its really hard to say, given that Cornell has played only 6 games against non-ECAC teams (N Dak, SCSU, UMass, Niagara). It would have been interesting if they had played a highly ranked Hockey East or CCHA team instead of Niagara. St. Lawrence away should be a telling game, given their style of play and the fact that their team is somewhat healthier than it was earlier in the season.

Obviously, much will be inferred from the second Princeton game, assuming their recent trouble was not representative of their true capability.

Anyway, here is my top 10:

1) BU
2) Northeastern
3) Vermont
4) Notre Dame
5) Cornell
6) Denver
7) Michigan
8) Princeton
9) Minnesota
10) BC
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2009 05:05AM by lynah80.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 26, 2009 07:58PM

Oat
I think we are right around where we should be. If we can stay in the top four and earn a #1 seed in the NCAA regional, we will most likely make the Frozen Four. But if we slip to #6 or #7 and have to face BU or Notre Dame, it will be a coin flip.

How many #1 seeds made it the last three years? Three. Out of twelve. I'd rather be the 2 in a manageable eastern bracket than a 1 at the gophers' place.

I think Cornell is a 5-10 team with a 30% of chance of winning two games in the NCAA tournament. If they play their game very well and get a good draw they could play in D.C. I don't care what seed they get, it's not a more than even chance they're going at this point.

Posted by: Oat (---.c3-0.avec-ubr11.nyr-avec.ny.cable.rcn.com)
Date: January 26, 2009 09:47PM

Nobody believes in this team but me??? :'(

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 26, 2009 09:49PM

Chris '03
IHow many #1 seeds made it the last three years? Three. Out of twelve. I'd rather be the 2 in a manageable eastern bracket than a 1 at the gophers' place. I think Cornell is a 5-10 team with a 30% of chance of winning two games in the NCAA tournament. If they play their game very well and get a good draw they could play in D.C. I don't care what seed they get, it's not a more than even chance they're going at this point.
Saying we're better off as a #2 seed than a #1 seed seems to be like saying a two-goal lead is the worst one to have in hockey. Occasionally, yes. But most of the time, no. Like Yale's two-goal lead into the waning minutes of the third period Friday was why they won.

Are we suffering from inverted schadenfreude here? Finding displeasure and [edit sorry] sorrow in our good fortune?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2009 10:51PM by billhoward.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: January 26, 2009 10:17PM

billhoward
Are we suffering from inverted schadenfreude here? Finding displeasure and sorry in our good fortune?
What we need is to step away from the rankings a bit and enjoy the hockey. A dozen years ago, before the PWR was widely circulated, Cornell fans would have looked at this team and thought "this is great! We're 14-2-3 and have a three point lead in the ECAC." A little more of that and a little stress about the PWR effect of each game might make things a bit more enjoyable.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2009 11:11PM

KeithK
billhoward
Are we suffering from inverted schadenfreude here? Finding displeasure and sorry in our good fortune?
What we need is to step away from the rankings a bit and enjoy the hockey. A dozen years ago, before the PWR was widely circulated, Cornell fans would have looked at this team and thought "this is great! We're 14-2-3 and have a three point lead in the ECAC." A little more of that and a little stress about the PWR effect of each game might make things a bit more enjoyable.
Here here!!!

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 26, 2009 11:47PM

To me, it all comes down to next weekend. Clarkson seems to be resurgent, and SLU is one of the better teams in the league, even if their record within league doesn't show it.

Depending on how many points we pick up, you can compare this year's team to these other years (within the ECAC):
4 points = 2003
3 points = 2002, 2005
2 points = 1991
1 point  = 1985
0 points = 1988, 1997, 2001, 2006
A cursory looks through the KRACHes would seem to indicate that the top few teams of the ECAC are stronger this year than from 2002 to 2006. (The strongest year in there being 2005, which was pretty similar to 2000.) So I would say that a split in the North Country will still have me feeling pretty good about this team. (Remember, as well, that two ECAC championship years, 1986 and 1996, don't make the above list.)

If anything, this year's ECAC race looks an awful lot like 1996, when five teams went down to the wire for the four home ice slots. (Ask Colgate fans from that time about what it means to miss out on home ice.) It's nice to be leading instead of chasing.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: January 27, 2009 12:00AM

Scersk '97
If anything, this year's ECAC race looks an awful lot like 1996, when five teams went down to the wire for the four home ice slots. (Ask Colgate fans from that time about what it means to miss out on home ice.) It's nice to be leading instead of chasing.

Where is Matt Weder these days, anyway?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 27, 2009 01:07AM

Beeeej
Scersk '97

Where is Matt Weder these days, anyway?

Still in analysis, I would think.

Princeton vs. Yale
Date: January 27, 2009 05:01AM

It will be interesting to see how Yale does against Princeton this Friday in New Haven.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2009 05:01AM by lynah80.

Date: January 27, 2009 05:28AM

Oat

I think I would rather skate against Notre Dame. BU has a more potent offense and the best power play in the nation (24%). They don't play as consistently as Notre Dame and they have had some injury issues but if they are healthy in March/April, they will be very tough to beat.

Notre Dame really hasn't proven themselves against a highly ranked opponent. They have not yet beaten a top 10 ranked team. I bet they lose at least one to Michigan this weekend. I guess we'll see.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2009 05:56AM

KeithK
billhoward

I agree. I thoroughly enjoyed the trip to Troy and Schenectady.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: January 27, 2009 11:02AM

Just win, baby. Cornell has swept in the North Country a whopping 4 times in the 24 years of the traveling partnerships. No member of the current team has ever won a game in either building (unless Punches did).
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2009 11:05AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: RichH (155.104.37.---)
Date: January 27, 2009 11:34AM

Trotsky
No member of the current team has ever won a game in either building (unless Punches did).

Lucky you made the disclaimer!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2009 11:34AM by RichH.

Posted by: BMac (96.53.155.---)
Date: January 28, 2009 07:56PM

Oat, I believe!

Conditionally.

If they stay like this, improving at the same rate, we make the tourney and probably stop at the second game. That would be great. Maybe they even make the FF (it will take a couple of real good games- they've got in in them).

But if they break out and actually reach their full potential, we've got a shot at a title. Seriously, look out- if they're firing on all cylinders, lockdown defense, scoring with 3 lines, and Scrivens on his game... bring on BU.

Either way, I suspect that if all the non-seniors stay (a somewhat big if), next year they absolutely shoot for another title.

They bought into coach's system 100%, which is the difference from last year. They just need to execute. I'm really hopeful that they'll make a leap somewhere around the away games at Yale/Brown, blow through the second round and really rise above in Albany.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login