Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Important message to ice hockey ticket holders

Posted by amerks127 
Page: Previous12 3 
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Important message to ice hockey ticket holders - Reason for the crackdown
Posted by: marty (---.roc.choiceone.net)
Date: February 04, 2009 01:00PM

redice
My wife is in serious trouble with me. We sit in Sec. N and she seldom missing any of the happenings on the other side of the ice. I get to watch hockey, knowing that she will make me aware if there is some "happening" in the student secions. She missed this one!! demented

At least that is what you hope!

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 04, 2009 01:20PM

I mean if it happened during play, all the students would've been standing. Meaning that it only would've been visible if it happened in the first row or along the aisle. Otherwise, those standing up would've shielded the offenders from view, and in that case the section N usher has x-ray vision and the students are doomed. They won't even be able to cup their mouths and swear anymore. panic

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.coxfiber.net)
Date: February 04, 2009 01:25PM

Trotsky

Hopefully, the other students in Section B responded with the appropriate cheer.

That girl sucks! That girl sucks!

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2009 01:53PM

RichH
JDeafv
Supposedly the two were observed by a security person on the far side of the rink (Section N), but by the time security mobilized to the scene they were "finished" and denied everything.

It was deemed unacceptable by the higher-ups in athletics that none of the ushers were paying enough attention to stop this from occurring.

Once again, this could very well be an example of the "those dang kids are up to no good" policy that exists and always siding against the students in a conflict of accounts. Yes, the possiblilty of this being true is eyebrow-raising, but if you stop and THINK about it, doesn't anyone even question the validity of this witnesses account? Surely if it was visible FROM ACROSS THE BUILDING, someone else must have seen it? I know if something like that happened near me in a section as crowded as B, there'd be a little bit of a ruckus.

Bingo. It could also be a salacious story invented to rally the troops against those no good kids. This story doesn't hold up at all. My first instinct is that the usher in question is just bullshitting though.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 04, 2009 01:55PM

Chris '03
RichH
JDeafv
Supposedly the two were observed by a security person on the far side of the rink (Section N), but by the time security mobilized to the scene they were "finished" and denied everything.

It was deemed unacceptable by the higher-ups in athletics that none of the ushers were paying enough attention to stop this from occurring.

Once again, this could very well be an example of the "those dang kids are up to no good" policy that exists and always siding against the students in a conflict of accounts. Yes, the possiblilty of this being true is eyebrow-raising, but if you stop and THINK about it, doesn't anyone even question the validity of this witnesses account? Surely if it was visible FROM ACROSS THE BUILDING, someone else must have seen it? I know if something like that happened near me in a section as crowded as B, there'd be a little bit of a ruckus.

Bingo. It could also be a salacious story invented to rally the troops against those no good kids. This story doesn't hold up at all. My first instinct is that the usher in question is just bullshitting though.

Have they subpoenaed the dress?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2009 04:42PM

Couldn't have happened during play...she wouldn't want to miss the game. Would she? Would she? And you can only watch the zamboni go around so often...

Re: Important message to ice hockey ticket holders
Posted by: mnagowski (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 04, 2009 05:48PM

I doubt the story is true, but it would give a whole new meaning to the 'facetimers'.

And if it is true, for shame.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: February 04, 2009 09:37PM

TimV
Couldn't have happened during play...she wouldn't want to miss the game. Would she? Would she? And you can only watch the zamboni go around so often...

So that's why Dave had to stop wearing costumes. doh

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: tretiak (---.state.gov)
Date: February 05, 2009 11:55AM

That guard in N has some sharp eyes.

it's good to see that the collegetown creeper has been fully rehabilitated and can now function as a positive member of society

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: February 05, 2009 12:11PM

TimV
SHHHHH! It's a good story - don't blow it.

FYP whistle

Posted by: Willy '06 (38.98.164.---)
Date: February 05, 2009 12:47PM

Hey Ref Girl in Section B! Get of your knees, you're blowing [during] the game!

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.itt.com)
Date: February 05, 2009 02:25PM

RichH
JDeafv

I have to say that was my first thought (ok, well, second woot). Did anyone in the section see it? Anyone else across the way? Wouldn't this have been a major happening & story, not to mention having charges pressed for public indecency??

Coming from ushers who identify the wrong fish thrower when standing next to them, I'd have to imagine the odds of it being something that never happened is reasonably high. Or is this corroborated?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2009 02:27PM by DeltaOne81.

Date: February 05, 2009 05:49PM

Hey Jeff- Is that smilie really whistling???

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2009 05:56PM

TimV
Hey Jeff- Is that smilie really whistling???
Or is it dribble

Can this thread be a record setter???
Date: February 05, 2009 06:12PM

The "Harvard Sucks" thread has 335 posts since Dec 1 2003 - almost 5 years and 10 weeks.

This thread has 215 posts in 2 weeks. If we could get RichS to post here we could easily get the 121 posts needed to set the record and it would probably only take 4-5 days...woot

Re: Can this thread be a record setter???
Posted by: Robb (---.gradacc.ox.ac.uk)
Date: February 05, 2009 06:25PM

TimV
The "Harvard Sucks" thread has 335 posts since Dec 1 2003 - almost 5 years and 10 weeks.

This thread has 215 posts in 2 weeks. If we could get RichS to post here we could easily get the 121 posts needed to set the record and it would probably only take 4-5 days...woot
It'll never happen - this thread doesn't fit with his worldview that the Cornell students and band currently get away with everything and act just as badly as the Clarkson fans currently do.

Posted by: amerks127 (193.134.192.---)
Date: February 06, 2009 08:52AM

Given that I started this thread, and it's well on its way to the lead (though probably won't sustain it), I feel the need to add something substantive to keep the debate alive...but actually I wanted to be clear about where I stand because I believe many people on here think that it's simply a matter of students wanting to swear.

I have no problem with Athletics attempting to take out swearing from Lynah Rink, nor do I believe we cannot create cheers without profanity. The problem has always been, and continues to be, the comparative treatment between student hockey fans and other fans (e.g. Townie's or students at baskeball games). While this stretches beyond just swearing into ticket prices or free gear, the problem right now obviously focuses on swearing. Most notably, what angered me about the most recent attempts was the clear focus on students alone. Had Athletics enforced this policy from sections A-O, balcony inclusive, students would have little reason to complain. Yet, when the profanity=ejection signs are posted outside just student sections and section O, one cannot dispute the bias. Despite the fact that I would prefer no student be ejected from any sporting event, I was pleased that enforcement is now occurring at Newman because it shows equal treatment across sporting events.

Many here have attested to the fact that swearing occurs in the Townie sections, yet I’ll be damned if one Townie section has ever been policed as thoroughly by ushers, let alone if an usher would actually have the audacity to rescind the season ticket of a Townie for swearing. I realize that the reason for the policy itself comes from university administration, but Athletics formulates the implementation. A clear and consistent message across all fans throughout both the rink and the season, including perhaps an announcement after puck drop reminding fans that the use of objectionable language or gestures results in ejection would serve athletics better than to criminalize the Lynah Faithful.

Swearing is not an integral part of Lynah, yet there are better, more effective methods to get rid of it, including a clear, concise, and consistent message to all fans at Lynah.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2009 08:58AM by amerks127.

Re: Can this thread be a record setter???
Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 06, 2009 09:42AM

TimV
The "Harvard Sucks" thread has 335 posts since Dec 1 2003 - almost 5 years and 10 weeks. This thread has 215 posts in 2 weeks.
Chanting "bend over" while not watching Cornell set up a play in the other end...

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 06, 2009 09:58AM

amerks127
Swearing is not an integral part of Lynah, yet there are better, more effective methods to get rid of it, including a clear, concise, and consistent message to all fans at Lynah.
What are you proposing as an alternative? Randomly terrorizing kids in section B isn't fair and probably isn't effective, granted. How then do you appeal to the crowd?

It ought to be effective if somebody the crowd respected, to the degree that they respect anybody, would tell them they're being morons. ADs and coaches, including Schafer, have done that in the past, albeit there's something very depressing about having to remind a bunch of presumptive adults not to behave like middle schoolers.

This has been an issue since at least the early 80's, and it comes and goes in alternating waves of student idiocy and administrative persecution. Best to dial down the rabble, rabble, rabble on both sides. If a fan gets way out of line by insisting on standing in front of somebody, OK, then throw them out of the rink for that night -- they'll figure it out after one or two times. But as for profanity, that's much better handled by mass shaming. The person who can stand up to an entire section telling him (it is invariably a him) not to drop the f bomb is probably visibly drunk, and if they're drunk you can throw them out, too. The rest will fold when mature people give them the hairy eyeball.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2009 10:02AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: RedWins11 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 07, 2009 01:17AM

i am a first year student at cornell, but have loved college hockey for a while

tonight a student sitting next to me was asked to leave for swearing (which i agree does not need to have a place in Lynah) however this was not b/c any usher had heard him swear but after Q took a penalty a lip reader saw him swear from across the rink

is this a joke?

Date: February 07, 2009 09:28AM

Facts are wrong. The Athletics department has no lipreaders.

It was a mentalist who knew that he was thinking an obscenity.

Date: February 07, 2009 10:02AM

Maybe the anaphoric society can pass out some bandannas for fans to cover their mouths. Hell, make them pink and then it's in line with the promotion in two weeks.

Posted by: redice (---.154.218.94.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: February 07, 2009 10:36AM

Chris '03
Maybe the anaphoric society can pass out some bandannas for fans to cover their mouths. Hell, make them pink and then it's in line with the promotion in two weeks.

You know Chris, if you could pull that one off for everyone in the student sections, that would be one of the funniest things ever done at Lynah. And, it would be one great big "gotcha" imposed on Lynah Gestapo.

Date: February 07, 2009 10:47AM

redice
Chris '03

You know Chris, if you could pull that one off for everyone in the student sections, that would be one of the funniest things ever done at Lynah. And, it would be one great big "gotcha" imposed on Lynah Gestapo.

Start passing the hat. They're $0.70 each in bulk. $700 gets you a thousand. You might be able to do better if you search for more than 10 seconds. [www.centurynovelty.com]

Posted by: saff678 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2009 11:46AM

I'm in my fourth undergrad year of attending games, and every time they try to stop swearing, the only way of convincing us to stop is by threatening to kick us out. That makes it seems like the only reason to stop swearing is so they won't kick us out, whereas the people on this thread have presented some much more admirable reasons. If the email they sent to us said, "stop swearing because there are kids in the rink" instead of "stop swearing because we've got the pep band under the gun", I think the fans would respond a bit more respectfully. This isn't about the students who read this forum, it's about the hundreds who don't who haven't been given a reasoned argument to stop.

Posted by: Townie (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2009 10:02AM

saff678
I'm in my fourth undergrad year of attending games, and every time they try to stop swearing, the only way of convincing us to stop is by threatening to kick us out. That makes it seems like the only reason to stop swearing is so they won't kick us out, whereas the people on this thread have presented some much more admirable reasons. If the email they sent to us said, "stop swearing because there are kids in the rink" instead of "stop swearing because we've got the pep band under the gun", I think the fans would respond a bit more respectfully. This isn't about the students who read this forum, it's about the hundreds who don't who haven't been given a reasoned argument to stop.

I think that's a good idea. It gives all parties (students and administration) a way to move forward constructively. Instead of citing kids, I'd mention consideration to those who find bawdy language offensive, young and old alike.

From the townie side of the rink, the language does sound "cleaner". I'm in row 10 and can hear above the glass. I can't hear "asshole" in the penalty chant, and Gary Glitter seems to be cleaned-up to. My compliments and thanks to the students.

Posted by: pat (---.telebecinternet.net)
Date: February 08, 2009 06:00PM

Gah, nevermind.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2009 06:00PM by pat.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2009 08:21PM

pat
Gah, nevermind.
OK, we won't!

Posted by: pat (---.telebecinternet.net)
Date: February 08, 2009 09:45PM

Jim Hyla
pat
Gah, nevermind.
OK, we won't!
Thanks!

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2009 01:19AM

RedWins11
tonight a student sitting next to me was asked to leave for swearing (which i agree does not need to have a place in Lynah) however this was not b/c any usher had heard him swear but after Q took a penalty a lip reader saw him swear from across the rink

is this a joke?

It's rather amusing while sitting in G to watch the ushers work the aisles during certain cheers/songs. Just once I'd like to see someone stare at an usher the way they stare at students while they are doing so.

I also want to find these apparently paid lip readers in the building. Are they using binoculars and walkie-talkies or something?

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2009 11:35AM

It would be pretty funny if everyone pointed at their respective ushers during "you suck" in RRP2... would badly-aimed index fingers lead to expulsion?

Re: usher cursing police now in newman
Posted by: jdonofrio (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 07, 2009 05:31PM

Yeah Matt Coates has no soul, he threw 2 kids out a minute or 2 before we stormed the court yesterday at Newman

Date: March 08, 2009 11:56AM

jdonofrio
Yeah Matt Coates has no soul, he threw 2 kids out a minute or 2 before we stormed the court yesterday at Newman

...for doing what? Or doesn't that matter?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: jdonofrio (65.110.153.---)
Date: March 11, 2009 12:24AM

It doesnt matter what they doing, there is no reason to throw someone out 2 minutes before we storm the court.

Date: March 11, 2009 12:27AM

jdonofrio
It doesnt matter what they doing, there is no reason to throw someone out 2 minutes before we storm the court.

Yeah, that's kinda what I thought.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Dpperk29 (128.153.220.---)
Date: March 11, 2009 12:50AM

Beeeej
jdonofrio

Yeah, that's kinda what I thought.

If it's something you get a penalty for in the first period, you should get the same penalty late in the third period...

I would still be mighty angry

Posted by: Trotsky (199.46.196.---)
Date: March 11, 2009 09:32AM

jdonofrio

Um, uh... wrong. It kinda matters.

Date: March 11, 2009 05:59PM

Trotsky
jdonofrio

Um, uh... wrong. It kinda matters.

Yeah, now I know if I ever need to whack someone, I just wait until 2 minutes before Cornell clinches a championship. smashfreak

Re: Swearing at Hockey games and Ask Amy
Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2011 08:37AM

One of my daily vices is reading advice columns along with the comics (hey, makes one's life look a bit better compared to those who write in). Anyways, a few weeks ago in the Ask Amy column there was a question from a babysitter who (with parents permission) took her charges to college hockey games and asked about what to tell the kids when they heard swearing.

A follow-up to that question appeared today (2nd letter) and Cornell hockey and hockey SID Brandon Thomas got a mention. If you don't know, Ask Amy grew up in Freeville and watching the Cornell teams of the late 60's and 70's.

Of course, since swearing at Lynah has been a topic of discussion, I thought I would put this out there.

Posted by: ugarte (66.9.23.---)
Date: December 01, 2011 10:10AM

Rita
One of my daily vices is reading advice columns along with the comics (hey, makes one's life look a bit better compared to those who write in). Anyways, a few weeks ago in the Ask Amy column there was a question from a babysitter who (with parents permission) took her charges to college hockey games and asked about what to tell the kids when they heard swearing.

A follow-up to that question appeared today (2nd letter) and Cornell hockey and hockey SID Brandon Thomas got a mention. If you don't know, Ask Amy grew up in Freeville and watching the Cornell teams of the late 60's and 70's.

Of course, since swearing at Lynah has been a topic of discussion, I thought I would put this out there.

My wife came with me to Red Hot Hockey. She recoiled at the idea of our kid going to a game because of the cursing. Maybe I'm in too deep to be objective.

Posted by: RichH (167.225.107.---)
Date: December 01, 2011 11:29AM

ugarte
My wife came with me to Red Hot Hockey. She recoiled at the idea of our kid going to a game because of the cursing. Maybe I'm in too deep to be objective.

Ignoring my belief for a second that the act of hearing a word that someone, somewhere has deemed to be offensive does not cause heads to explode, I'll ask if you were able to pick any out in a crowd of 18,000.

Date: December 01, 2011 12:31PM

RichH
ugarte

Ignoring my belief for a second that the act of hearing a word that someone, somewhere has deemed to be offensive does not cause heads to explode, I'll ask if you were able to pick any out in a crowd of 18,000.
I'm not talking about individual curses. We were in the 100s level surrounded by alumni. There was virtually none of that. The most offensive thing to come out of our section was some guy who looks and sounds a lot like me yelling "COVER THE FUCKING POINT" during a frustrated moment.

She was offended more about the resounding cries of "SUCKS" and "Drop Dead" and all of that. It isn't about heads exploding or anything like that anyway. It is about not wanting to be the parents of a 4 year old who tells grandma "traffic sucks." It is about, for me anyway, discretion and courtesy, not the desire to have jackboots as part of the standard usher uniform.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: December 01, 2011 02:18PM

ugarte
She was offended more about the resounding cries of "SUCKS" and "Drop Dead" and all of that. It isn't about heads exploding or anything like that anyway. It is about not wanting to be the parents of a 4 year old who tells grandma "traffic sucks." It is about, for me anyway, discretion and courtesy, not the desire to have jackboots as part of the standard usher uniform.

To me that's not being offended by profanity but by selfishness, entitlement and rudeness. Which is fine, but you're gonna have to move your family out of the Northeast to avoid it.

Personally I'm offended by the lack of creativity of the constant "sucks" and "drop dead" cheers. Mothers don't let your children grow up to be boring.

Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2011 03:17PM

Trotsky
ugarte

To me that's not being offended by profanity but by selfishness, entitlement and rudeness. Which is fine, but you're gonna have to move your family out of the Northeast to avoid it.

Personally I'm offended by the lack of creativity of the constant "sucks" and "drop dead" cheers. Mothers don't let your children grow up to be boring.
It's really hard to be creative and organized in a crowd that large. I think most of the fans went for organization with the simpler chants. While I openly admit the creativity at Lynah today doesn't approach its hey day, its still far better than what was witnessed at RHH.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2011 03:20PM

ugarte

She was offended more about the resounding cries of "SUCKS" and "Drop Dead" and all of that.
When Electrolux first marketed its vacuum cleaners in this country, it's slogan was: "Nothing sucks like an Electrolux."

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: December 01, 2011 03:35PM

ugarte
I still boggle at the thought of anyone being offended by "Sucks" as en expression, let alone at a sporting event. Or at least at the thought of anyone close to my age being offended by that. Then again, I suppose I don't have small children so it's hard to relate.

Date: December 01, 2011 03:35PM

css228
It's really hard to be creative and organized in a crowd that large. I think most of the fans went for organization with the simpler chants. While I openly admit the creativity at Lynah today doesn't approach its hey day, its still far better than what was witnessed at RHH.

I agree with you about MSG and this is not meant in any way as a knock on today's undergrad classes who I think are just as fierce and fun a fanbase as we've ever had.

The two most interesting things about Lynah are the DIY "open mic" Section A and B cheers (which are impossible in a larger arena) and the constant noise (not just for a significant play but cheering on every shift and not allowing any dead air -- the cheers that make visiting players look up at the crowd during stoppages as if to say "WTF is wrong with you people?!" ). These things seems to ebb and flow with different classes of undergrads -- right now it actually seems (from the streams anyway) much better at Lynah than during the early 00's, and MUCH better than during the early 90's when the place was really just another barn.

I don't believe in Golden Ages, but I do think the overgrowth of the monotonous cheers ("Bend Over" ) crowd out the opportunities for Kids Today to come up with their own new traditions. Let a hundred flowers blossom and all that.
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2011 03:39PM by Trotsky.

Date: December 01, 2011 03:43PM

KeithK
ugarte
I still boggle at the thought of anyone being offended by "Sucks" as en expression, let alone at a sporting event. Or at least at the thought of anyone close to my age being offended by that. Then again, I suppose I don't have small children so it's hard to relate.
The small child problem is they are really just drooling 3-second tapes on continuous loop, so after a game the parents hear nothing but x SUCKS, y SUCKS, z SUCKS, forever.

Which is why God invented the open palm slap.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2011 03:43PM by Trotsky.

Date: December 01, 2011 03:44PM

KeithK
I still boggle at the thought of anyone being offended by "Sucks" as en expression,
You know that it's short for "sucks dick" right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2011 03:45PM by ugarte.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: December 01, 2011 03:57PM

ugarte
KeithK
I still boggle at the thought of anyone being offended by "Sucks" as en expression,
Exactly: "sucks" is the censored/cleaned-up version of the phrase. What's the problem again?

Date: December 01, 2011 04:07PM

Kyle Rose
ugarte
KeithK
Exactly: "sucks" is the censored/cleaned-up version of the phrase. What's the problem again?
At least this puts the universe back in balance.

"Performs oral sex upon" is also a "cleaned up version" but since they all mean the same thing... they all mean the same thing.

Posted by: Ben (158.143.162.---)
Date: December 01, 2011 04:12PM

Trotsky
I agree with you about MSG and this is not meant in any way as a knock on today's undergrad classes who I think are just as fierce and fun a fanbase as we've ever had.

I disagree. As someone who stands in the supporters' section for New York Red Bulls games -- where we sing & chant for the entire match -- I'm not impressed by the amount of noise we make or the amount of dead air there is during play.

I don't believe in Golden Ages, but I do think the overgrowth of the monotonous cheers ("Bend Over" ) crowd out the opportunities for Kids Today to come up with their own new traditions. Let a hundred flowers blossom and all that.

Unfortunately, this happens wherever there are structured cheers. It's the other side of the double-edged sword of tradition.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2011 04:14PM by Ben.

Date: December 01, 2011 04:13PM

Trotsky
css228

The two most interesting things about Lynah are the DIY "open mic" Section A and B cheers (which are impossible in a larger arena) and the constant noise (not just for a significant play but cheering on every shift and not allowing any dead air -- the cheers that make visiting players look up at the crowd during stoppages as if to say "WTF is wrong with you people?!" ). These things seems to ebb and flow with different classes of undergrads -- right now it actually seems (from the streams anyway) much better at Lynah than during the early 00's, and MUCH better than during the early 90's when the place was really just another barn.

Agreed on the monotony of some cheers. There's a need for new player specific cheers. Hopefully that'll be rectified soon.

Date: December 01, 2011 04:23PM

Ben
Unfortunately, this happens wherever there are structured cheers. It's the other side of the double-edged sword of tradition.
It can, but the engine of cheering will always be the student sections and they have the power to change it. It isn't like a professional sport (or Yale or Union) where the minute the tweens get hold of an LCD cheer everything else is obliterated.

We've always had structured cheers; they don't have to get out of hand. There was a time when "the ref fucked sheep" after every Cornell penalty. There's always a way back from the abyss.

Date: December 01, 2011 04:24PM

css228
There's a need for new player specific cheers. Hopefully that'll be rectified soon.
There are certainly some awesome new guys to get behind! :)

Date: December 01, 2011 04:29PM

Ben
Trotsky

I disagree. As someone who stands in the supporters' section for New York Red Bulls games -- where we sing & chant for the entire match -- I'm not impressed by the amount of noise we make or the amount of dead air there is during play.
And as someone who stood in Lynah from 1996-1998, I assert with only my recollection as evidence that the student section was a lot better back in my day. It certainly was a lot more imaginative: lots of individuals screaming funny things, and a lot of cheers created/imported during that period.

Remember when the remote control goalie chant was more than just "skate skate skate turn bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over"? I do. :-)

[/walker][/lawn]

Date: December 01, 2011 04:31PM

ugarte
Kyle Rose
ugarte
KeithK

"Performs oral sex upon" is also a "cleaned up version" but since they all mean the same thing... they all mean the same thing.
By this logic, you should actually appreciate "sucks" because no young kid would know it came from "sucks dick": they'd already have to have knowledge of oral sex to make that connection.

Personally, I want to hear section B start up a "Harrrrr-vard... performs oral sex upon boys!" chant and see how that fares compared to "sucks" or "fuck 'em up" or even "the ref fucks sheep!" :-)

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: December 01, 2011 04:36PM

Kyle Rose

Remember when the remote control goalie chant was more than just "skate skate skate turn bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over bend over"? I do. :-)

[/walker][/lawn]

Yes. And it's current incarnation makes me sad.

"skate, skate, tuuuuuuurn, stop, tap, sweeeeep, tap, tap, tap, drink, pose, bend over"

Date: December 01, 2011 04:38PM

Chris '03
Kyle Rose

[/walker][/lawn]

"skate, skate, tuuuuuuurn, stop, tap, sweeeeep, tap, tap, tap, drink, pose, bend over"
There are people that try to actually mimic what he's doing, especially the band, but it just doesn't seem to catch on with most people. Maybe the best remedy is to use sparingly.

Date: December 01, 2011 04:43PM

css228
Chris '03
Kyle Rose

[/walker][/lawn]

There are people that try to actually mimic what he's doing, especially the band, but it just doesn't seem to catch on with most people. Maybe the best remedy is to use sparingly.

That's really the issue. Somewhere in the past 5 or so years it went from mimicking to unimaginatively directing and lost a lot of its fun and power.

Posted by: Robb (---.62-188.cust.bluewin.ch)
Date: December 01, 2011 04:55PM

Kyle Rose
ugarte
Kyle Rose
ugarte
KeithK

By this logic, you should actually appreciate "sucks" because no young kid would know it came from "sucks dick": they'd already have to have knowledge of oral sex to make that connection.

Personally, I want to hear section B start up a "Harrrrr-vard... performs oral sex upon boys!" chant and see how that fares compared to "sucks" or "fuck 'em up" or even "the ref fucks sheep!" :-)

Save that one for when we play PSU. :-O

What, too soon?

(Thank goodness there's no "-1" button any more!)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2011 04:56PM by Robb.

Posted by: BMac (---.demarc.cogentco.com)
Date: December 01, 2011 04:56PM

Sorry guys, I don't buy it.

I've been hearing the "everyone just repeats the same cheers" song since I was a freshman (I'm class of '08).

Unless you're standing in A, you can't HEAR the good stuff. The sieve can. That's what matters.

We (in A) were pretty darn good from '05-'08. I'm sure a lot of the perception people on ElF have is because they're used to standing in A/B, and now are trying to hear for the same awesome stuff they remember but from much farther away, or in fewer games.

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: December 01, 2011 04:57PM

ugarte
KeithK

Only to a certain generation, at this point. I doubt anyone under a certain age says "sucks" casually and intends to express similarity to the act of fellatio. I've always thought that "sucks" is 100% interchangeable with "stinks" in both definition and level of offensiveness.

Date: December 01, 2011 04:58PM

Robb
Kyle Rose
ugarte
Kyle Rose
ugarte
KeithK

Save that one for when we play PSU. :-O

What, too soon?
I would say so, but that'd that'd be hypocritical of me having jokingly suggested chanting "Pedo State" when they come...

Date: December 01, 2011 05:07PM

BMac
Sorry guys, I don't buy it.

I've been hearing the "everyone just repeats the same cheers" song since I was a freshman (I'm class of '08).

Unless you're standing in A, you can't HEAR the good stuff. The sieve can. That's what matters.

We (in A) were pretty darn good from '05-'08. I'm sure a lot of the perception people on ElF have is because they're used to standing in A/B, and now are trying to hear for the same awesome stuff they remember but from much farther away, or in fewer games.
A/B is good (Still sitting in A this year) but there just hasn't been that much addition to the tradition. I love our traditional chants, and my friends and I go to pains to make sure some of the better ones are used (spelling the goalies name, black hole), but the problem isn't the intensity or even the individual in game cheers. We've had some great one's this year. Don't remember what team Campbell played for, but the "Chicken Noodle" chant was great. The problem to me seems to be that people just aren't adding to the traditions. I think that's all people are saying. That we should make our own Lynah Faithful legacy rather than relying on the every game chants that have already been there. We need our own Stephen Bâby chant for this era of Cornell Hockey.

Date: December 01, 2011 05:07PM

RichH
ugarte
KeithK

Only to a certain generation, at this point. I doubt anyone under a certain age says "sucks" casually and intends to express similarity to the act of fellatio. I've always thought that "sucks" is 100% interchangeable with "stinks" in both definition and level of offensiveness.

If it's used on network tv between 7 and 9 on a friday or saturday night, it should be fair game at a hockey game played on friday or saturday night between 7 and 9 without any question whatsoever and no one should expect "better" language at the game.

Date: December 01, 2011 05:29PM

RichH
Only to a certain generation, at this point. I doubt anyone under a certain age says "sucks" casually and intends to express similarity to the act of fellatio.
So it would be completely the same thing to chant "sucks!" at women's games, right?

Right?

Uh huh, I thought not.

I love you dearly, Rich, but that dog don't hunt.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2011 05:35PM by Trotsky.

Date: December 01, 2011 06:13PM

RichH
ugarte
KeithK

Exactly. It doesn't have a sexual connotation anymore. It's become a generic negative comment. Words change their meanings over time in colloquial use. Which is why I wrote "close to my age".

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: December 01, 2011 06:43PM

Trotsky
RichH
Only to a certain generation, at this point. I doubt anyone under a certain age says "sucks" casually and intends to express similarity to the act of fellatio.
So it would be completely the same thing to chant "sucks!" at women's games, right?

Right?

Uh huh, I thought not.

I love you dearly, Rich, but that dog don't hunt.

I'm not really a fan of the high-handedness, so why don't you let me answer your question?

Truth be told: To me, personally, it is the same thing. In my not-so-illustrious history, I *have* chanted "sucks!" at women's games. It wasn't until after friends tackled me (or some similar action) that it even occurred to me that it could be misinterpreted to the filthy-old-man definition. To me, "sucks" = "stinks" = "word expressing a generic bad quality." That's it. That doesn't mean that I still would chant "Sucks!" at a women's game now that I realize people read more depravity into it than I do, the same way that I wouldn't scream "How is that a fucking dive, you asshat ref?" in front of ugarte's kid. The reason I wouldn't isn't because I think the words themselves are offensive (I don't think they are without intent), but because I don't want others to be upset with me. I try to be respectful to my fellow humans, even if their sensitivities are calibrated to a different scale than mine. When it's clear that I've crossed a line with someone, I try to apologize where possible. And I'm certainly not going to tell people how to raise their kids. I'll just wage this crusade on internet message boards and hope society comes around to the fact that a 7 year-old hearing the word "fuck" isn't going to turn him into a homicidal rapist.

I've thought about this a lot over the years. Words themselves do not offend me...hate speech does. What's the difference? Intent. If I say "Why are you going to see that Amy Grant concert, Greg? She sucks," or "Natalie Portman may have won best actress for Black Swan, but she sucked in Episode II," do you really think I mean there's pornography going on? I certainly hope not. I'm willing to bet that you've made similar statements about certain artists. Intent, not content, means everything to my inoffensive/offensive needle. Now who's the arbiter of "intent?" I don't know, probably the same people who decided at some point that "doo-doo" is socially acceptable and "shit" is not. Dang vs. damn, "WTF" vs. "What the Fuck," "MILF" vs. well, you know. That's the point...everybody already knows what it means! Why bother masking? There's a sign on a theater in my neighborhood that advertises a show, "The Motherf#cker With the Hat." Is that one character substitution the only thing propping our society up instead of collapsing into a sea of debauchery and lawlessness? I know what it reads. KIDS know what it reads. Everybody knows what it reads. Why pretend to have some sort of moral barrier there?

Obvious caveat, there are quite a few words that have hate-speech intent built-in. N-word, C-word, and most slurs about groups of people/nationalities/religions/orientations for example. But the shit/fuck/ass trinity? Meaningless without intent.

Suck it. upto
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2011 06:51PM by RichH.

Date: December 01, 2011 07:16PM

RichH

Obvious caveat, there are quite a few words that have hate-speech intent built-in. N-word, C-word, and most slurs about groups of people/nationalities/religions/orientations for example.

Like Fighting Sioux? bolt

Posted by: snert1288 (---.uhmc.sunysb.edu)
Date: December 01, 2011 07:30PM

From a student who stood in A/B from 2008-2011 I'd have to agree. There are still many creative cheers and most are hilarious. Also, the remote control goalie cheers that I've heard do still mimic his motions. From where I was standing people still yell Skate, Turn, Drink, Tab, Stop, and Bend Over. Certainly the end refrain can get dragged out, especially if Cornell is going on the PK or there is a faceoff in our zone. So I'd say the problem is more with discretion than with the actual cheers. Additionally, the "Bâby" cheer has (or at least they've tried) been adapted. I cannot say that I ever was able to watch Stephen Bâby play, so I'm not sure if the comparison is accurate but in my time at Lynah the cheer was directed at both Tyler Mugford and Dan Nicholls. Again, this was not every student so it may not have been audible on the other side of the ice. The atmosphere may not be what it once was, but I think it says something about how important the Lynah Faithful still are that Ben Scrivens always gave us a lot of credit and thanks.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 01, 2011 09:09PM

KeithK
RichH
ugarte
KeithK

Exactly. It doesn't have a sexual connotation anymore. It's become a generic negative comment. Words change their meanings over time in colloquial use. Which is why I wrote "close to my age".
You know, just like "fag" isn't homophobic anymore, it is just a generic word for "dumb" or "lame".

Date: December 01, 2011 10:49PM

ugarte
KeithK
RichH
ugarte
KeithK

You know, just like "fag" isn't homophobic anymore, it is just a generic word for "dumb" or "lame".

Or "cigarette."

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2011 10:55PM

ugarte
KeithK
RichH
ugarte
KeithK

As an old fart, I was less disturbed by the occasional "sucks" than by the invective from a few spectators in the row behind mine. We suffered what felt like a constant stream of "Faggot!" "Homo!" and "Fucking douche bag!" directed at various BU players. I had my wife and two daughters with me. The younger daughter is Class of '06 and spent some time at Lynah as an undergrad, but it still bothers me.

Date: December 01, 2011 11:04PM

David Harding
ugarte
KeithK
RichH
ugarte
KeithK

As an old fart, I was less disturbed by the occasional "sucks" than by the invective from a few spectators in the row behind mine. We suffered what felt like a constant stream of "Faggot!" "Homo!" and "Fucking douche bag!" directed at various BU players. I had my wife and two daughters with me. The younger daughter is Class of '06 and spent some time at Lynah as an undergrad, but it still bothers me.

It would bother me, and I don't have any kids (that I know of). I have memories of being in the Big Red Pep Band playing at Union, and having several meathead Union fans saying things like "Red and White make pink, fags" and "you're gay" crap for a whole period. I always thought all of our fans were above that, but I know that's too much to expect.

Posted by: Ben (158.143.162.---)
Date: December 02, 2011 08:08AM

I had never heard of "ducks" being short for "sucks dick" before I read this thread. Honestly. And I still won't normally make that association.

For me, the line is racism, sexism, and homophobia (or other forms of discrimination). Everything else should be fair game.

Adapting cheers
Date: December 02, 2011 12:18PM

snert1288
Additionally, the "Bâby" cheer has (or at least they've tried) been adapted. I cannot say that I ever was able to watch Stephen Bâby play, so I'm not sure if the comparison is accurate but in my time at Lynah the cheer was directed at both Tyler Mugford and Dan Nicholls.

Which is a bit silly, since "Hey Bâby" makes sense as a play on the original title of the song, but "Hey Mugford" doesn't. It's sort of like when the "¡Olé!" at the end of the bullfighting music went from "Auger!" (natural) to "McRae!-s" (a stretch) to "Abbott!-s" (just silly).

I think the point is that someone should make up a new cheer that makes sense with one of the current players' names.

Re: Adapting cheers
Date: December 02, 2011 12:47PM

jtwcornell91
snert1288
Additionally, the "Bâby" cheer has (or at least they've tried) been adapted. I cannot say that I ever was able to watch Stephen Bâby play, so I'm not sure if the comparison is accurate but in my time at Lynah the cheer was directed at both Tyler Mugford and Dan Nicholls.

Which is a bit silly, since "Hey Bâby" makes sense as a play on the original title of the song, but "Hey Mugford" doesn't. It's sort of like when the "¡Olé!" at the end of the bullfighting music went from "Auger!" (natural) to "McRae!-s" (a stretch) to "Abbott!-s" (just silly).

I think the point is that someone should make up a new cheer that makes sense with one of the current players' names.
I kind of disagree with you there John. I think taking an existing cheer and adapting it to new players is cool. Yes, the original "Hey Bâby" thing was a play on the song title. "Hey Mugford" is a play on a play on the song title. Oh, it might be silly if thirty years from now we're singing "Hey Jones" and no one can even recall that there was a player named Bâby back in the day. But this kind of evolving cheer can be fun.

It's great when you can come up with a new (original) cheer for each new group of players. But that doesn't alwa happen.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: December 02, 2011 02:32PM

snert1288
From a student who stood in A/B from 2008-2011 I'd have to agree. There are still many creative cheers and most are hilarious. Also, the remote control goalie cheers that I've heard do still mimic his motions. From where I was standing people still yell Skate, Turn, Drink, Tab, Stop, and Bend Over. Certainly the end refrain can get dragged out, especially if Cornell is going on the PK or there is a faceoff in our zone. So I'd say the problem is more with discretion than with the actual cheers. Additionally, the "Bâby" cheer has (or at least they've tried) been adapted. I cannot say that I ever was able to watch Stephen Bâby play, so I'm not sure if the comparison is accurate but in my time at Lynah the cheer was directed at both Tyler Mugford and Dan Nicholls. Again, this was not every student so it may not have been audible on the other side of the ice. The atmosphere may not be what it once was, but I think it says something about how important the Lynah Faithful still are that Ben Scrivens always gave us a lot of credit and thanks.

Having been there up to '04, when the "Bend over" part was starting to ramp up, I too recall that the usual remote control part was still there as long as the goalie was doing something (skating, drinking sweeping, etc). The "bend over" part only really started when the goalie wasn't just standing there not doing too much, and frankly when you got a couple thousand people yelling "band over" in unison for a minute straight, it was pretty damn funny and awesome. I can't say what it's like now, and if people jump to the bend over part too quickly; or if they don't get it in unison because kids today seem to want to speed every cheer immediately (there's my old guy rant, but seriously "DE-FENSE" at football and basketball works better if you can keep it up at constant rhythm for a couple minutes, not if it ends after 15 because people are in a speed yelling contest with each other).

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: December 04, 2011 09:53PM

Inspired largely by hockey chants, I have introduced our surgery residents to "The Paradox of the Surgical Suction:"

"When the suction doesn't suck, it sucks. And when the suction DOES suck, it doesn't."

nutdohbolt

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: April 18, 2012 05:02PM

Trotsky
ugarte

Clue 23 down in today's NYT crossword: "You suck!" Answer: BOO

Page: Previous12 3 
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login