Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 3 RPI 0 Postgame

Posted by Trotsky 
Cornell 3 RPI 0 Postgame
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 17, 2009 09:41PM

Cornell settling into a very nice streak, both in league and overall.

Re: Cornell 3 RPI 0 Postgame
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 17, 2009 09:54PM

This is the best I've seen them play in a number of years. Yes, the last few teams we played haven't been the best, but they really are together. Greening with 17 pts in 17 games and only 2 PIM. Two good lines for offense and consistent defense and goaltending. Does this remind you of anything in the earlier 2000's. If we keep it up, maybe winning a game in NCAA's, then keep Riley, next year could be great. I don't think we will get Frozen Four this year.

Well, too much hype from me. We still need to play well the rest of the year, but certainly a great chance for ECAC championship and good NCAA position.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 17, 2009 10:17PM

I agree that it is unlikely that we would see the Frozen Four for this team, but if they improve a bit, it isn't out of the question. They are really great to watch. I just cringe a bit when Union and RPI can shut down our 5 x 5 offense by playing their positions well.

I hope the team improves as the season progresses. Tonight was great in so many ways and it gave the Red a chance to practice against a speedy if not high quality team. That RPI didn't quit was good for both teams.

Both last night and tonight Cornell continued to work the puck up the ice in through the entire third period. They want to score goals almost as much as Scrivens wants the puck to hit his blocker. This is a really great team to watch and enjoy. But I am repeating myself...that's what happens after a certain amount of grey matter is lost due to old age.

Date: January 17, 2009 10:17PM

It's certainly a team to enjoy. 1 loss in 17 games is remarkable.

Here's the fun fact for the day. Record over last 10 games:
Cornell 9-0-1
Harvard 0-8-2

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2009 10:28PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: dragonfan (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2009 12:06AM

Mike Kennedy is hot,in his last 6 games scoring 5.Him and his brother have both had goals in the same game 3 of the last 5.It's nice to see the P/P coming together in the last couple of games and more people contributing.This weekend they played the best I have seen them play all year. Go BIG RED!!!!!

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2009 02:02AM

I'll come out and say it: it's time to start believing that this team can make a deep run in the spring.

They're not the '03 team. They don't dominate games like that team did. They don't bulldoze easy opponents. As others have pointed out, Scrivens faces significantly more shots than did Leneveu or McKee. And when he makes the saves, as he did tonight, he does so in an unorthodox style, on his back or side with his stick flailing. It's not pretty, but it's effective.

They still make lots of mistakes, especially in the defensive end. They take dumb penalties, have trouble clearing the puck sometimes, and give up too many good looks immediately on Scrivens' left or right. But despite these issues, they've only given up >2 goals once this year.

The powerplay looks great, and the breakout play has improved a lot this season. Whereas over the past couple seasons the team had trouble playing a "full 90 minutes," the team has delivered some strong third periods. (Outscoring opponents 8-1 in the 3rd over the last five games) That's how you get wins.

Cornell will lose another game, probably soon. But that shouldn't be a reason to be discouraged about our chances. For now, we're taking care of business in the ECAC and building ourselves a nice cushion for NCAAs in case we make an early exit from the conference tournament. This is above what we could have possibly hoped for at this point in the season.

When the team takes the ice, you get the feeling that there's no way they're going to lose. The last few games have been closer than the scores indicate, but the team is finding ways to win. With players like PK coming alive halfway through the season and Scrivens continuing to improve his numbers, I have a great feeling about this team.

My main concern is why Scali was scratched tonight, but hopefully it's nothing serious.

Posted by: lynah80 (---.MED.UPENN.EDU)
Date: January 18, 2009 02:08AM

I also agree that this year's team is not as strong as the last Cornell team to go to the Frozen Four (02-03), but they do keep winning. Scrivens is the obvious reason for the consistency. I didn't see the North Dakota loss, but other than that, he hasn't allowed more than 2 goals in a game.

Last year's team matured significantly as the year progressed and I'm hopeful that will recur this year. There are a lot of games left (at least 16 before the NCAA tournament) so let's see what happens.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2009 02:09AM by lynah80.

Posted by: amerks127 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2009 02:48AM

What strikes me most is the improvement and adjustments this team has made over the course of the season. We've certainly come a long way since that last second victory over Western Ontario way back in October.

It's apparent that as this club hits its stride, each and every player is now buying into Schafer's system. From what I've heard and witnessed, it almost feels like Schafer is taking a Herb Brooks style approach to coaching this season. He's really forcing the team to work hard in practice, emphasizing physical strength and stamina, as well as focusing on team chemistry. [edit for handshake] At the end of the game, the team made a cohesive stand, protecting their own, before exiting as one. At the end of the season, when you want to take a look at where the teamed gelled and came together, this may very well be an important factor.

Furthermore, nearly every aspect of their game has improved: better breakouts, fewer neutral zone giveaways (though as the Onion game showed, still needs work), powerplay is clicking, we can run four lines where any player on the ice is a legitimate threat to score, great board and corner work, and we have a goalie whose phenomenal play takes some heat off the defense. I'd like to see us stronger in front of the net, I'd like to see perfect breakout plays, and I'd love to score more, but you know what, so would every other team, ever.

The fact of the matter is, this team plays with consistency. No matter how good you are, it's damn impressive to start 13-1-3, with an 8-0-2 conference record. On top of that, I don't think they've come close to playing their best possible hockey. Patrick Kennedy is just starting to heat up, Nash and Greening are nearly at point/per game numbers, Barlow and Gallagher are just starting to cash in, and the defense is making fewer mistakes. I'm bullish about the team.

Then again, this might all be a product of recent weak opponents. Who knows?
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2009 12:50PM by amerks127.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: January 18, 2009 03:03AM

Does anybody doubt that a hot Yale, a frustrated Harvard, an unusually stifled Clarkson, and half a dozen other ECAC teams seeking revenge for their first tastes of Cornell this season will present an interesting challenge over the remaining twelve regular season games?

I saw some great stuff from this Cornell team this weekend, but I for one am not expecting them to enter the conference tourney at 25-1-3.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: January 18, 2009 03:05AM

lynah80
There are a lot of games left (at least 16 before the NCAA tournament) so let's see what happens.

I like your optimism, but in truth we are only guaranteed another fourteen games right now. Let's not count our Albany chickens before they're hatched.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: January 18, 2009 03:20AM

You can't win on eLynah. I should just go back to criticizing Brendon Nash.

Date: January 18, 2009 03:45AM

I'm not saying your analysis is wrong - but no matter the skill level of the team, sometimes the bounces won't go your way. The much-vaunted 2003 juggernaut had a tie and a loss in their last twelve regular season games - and even got swept in Florida.

Let's just say I'd rather be pleasantly surprised by a 25-1-3 record entering the conference tourney, than unpleasantly surprised by an inexplicable collapse after everyone started posting about how this is the greatest hockey team since sliced bread. :-)

- Steve Worona

Posted by: CKinsland (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2009 09:25AM

ebilmes
Cornell will lose another game, probably soon.

If we're only going to lose one more game, I'd rather lose it soon and win all the later ones (ha!).

Nothing like a loss to get a team focused and intent. Long winning streaks can lead to cockiness and laziness. Luckily, we aren't winning by big margins, so there isn't that sense that we're crushing teams with ease. But, still, a loss a week or two before playoffs start might be psychologically useful. (Personally, I'm betting on 2 losses or a loss and a tie before playoffs.)

CK

Posted by: MattShaf (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 18, 2009 09:41AM

ebilmes
Whereas over the past couple seasons the team had trouble playing a "full 90 minutes," .

Most teams have trouble playing "a full 90 minutes" unless they're playing soccer nut

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2009 10:05AM

Beeeej

I saw some great stuff from this Cornell team this weekend, but I for one am not expecting them to enter the conference tourney at 25-1-3.

Is anyone?

Posted by: heykb (---.c3-0.upd-ubr3.trpr-upd.pa.cable.rcn.com)
Date: January 18, 2009 10:16AM

You know, I don't expect them to sweep the next 12 games. It could certainly happen, of course.

Though I have only seen the team twice this year, one of them was at Princeton, where I watched the Red eke out a win and I will not be surprised at all if the Tigers take the rematch. The NJ boys are a good team.

OTOH, the Red have probably improved and they are playing great hockey. If they can continue to capitalize on scoring chances, they will be really hard to beat.

Karl

Date: January 18, 2009 11:08AM

One mark of a very good (or, I guess, very bad) team: no difference between the effort or results at home, away, and neutral sites.

The game against Yale is doubly significant. The Eli are arguably the second-best team in the conference, they're angry after a poor weekend, and they are still an unknown as one of just 2 conference opponents Cornell has not met yet. And, importantly for some of us, the Ivies are a 2-team race this year, and Cornell has not hoisted that banner since 2005.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2009 11:11AM by Trotsky.

Yale
Posted by: lynah80 (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 18, 2009 11:36AM

Beeeej
Does anybody doubt that a hot Yale, a frustrated Harvard, an unusually stifled Clarkson, and half a dozen other ECAC teams seeking revenge for their first tastes of Cornell this season will present an interesting challenge over the remaining twelve regular season games?

One game at a time.

Yale's top goalie has a muscle strain.

Ryan Rondeau, So: 239 min GAA 1.51 save% 0.939

There's no word as to how bad it is or when he will be able to play.

Their other two sieves:

Billy Blase, Jr: 244 min GAA 2.71 save% 0.911
Alec Richards, Sr: 538 min GAA 2.90 save% 0.882

Further, they are not a big team (average weight 186 lb without goalies), vs Cornell (193 lb) and they may not hold up especially well in the Cornell end.

Unless half the Cornell team comes down with the flu, I'm picking the Big Red to beat Yale at Lynah.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2009 12:03PM by lynah80.

Posted by: Robb (---.ip.mcleodusa.net)
Date: January 18, 2009 11:39AM

Trotsky
One mark of a very good (or, I guess, very bad) team: no difference between the effort or results at home, away, and neutral sites.

The game against Yale is doubly significant. The Eli are arguably the second-best team in the conference, they're angry after a poor weekend, and they are still an unknown as one of just 2 conference opponents Cornell has not met yet. And, importantly for some of us, the Ivies are a 2-team race this year, and Cornell has not hoisted that banner since 2005.
And (in case you skipped my long ramble on TUCs in the PWR thread), Yale is flirting with becoming a TUC, and we definitely don't want any losses to TUCs. Just playing us may raise their RPI enough to become a TUC by Saturday - beating us almost certainly would.

Re: Yale
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2009 12:14PM

lynah80
Beeeej

One game at a time.

Yale's top goalie has a muscle strain.

Ryan Rondeau, So: 239 min GAA 1.51 save% 0.939

There's no word as to how bad it is or when he will be able to play.

Their other two sieves:

Billy Blase, Jr: 244 min GAA 2.71 save% 0.911
Alec Richards, Sr: 538 min GAA 2.90 save% 0.882

Further, they are not a big team (average weight 186 lb without goalies), vs Cornell (193 lb) and they may not hold up especially well in the Cornell end.

Unless half the Cornell team comes down with the flu, I'm picking the Big Red to beat Yale at Lynah.

Yale also takes a TON of penalties. However, given this Cornell team's propensity to turn the puck over in its own end and Backman and Arcobello's ability to find the back of the net, I'm not ready to hand it to the Red just yet. I'd be mighty impressed if Cornell shuts down the Yale offense all together. It'll probably take 3 to win either of the games with Yale.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2009 12:22PM

amerks127
From what I've heard and witnessed, it almost feels like Schafer is taking a Herb Brooks style approach to coaching this season. He's really forcing the team to work hard in practice, emphasizing physical strength and stamina, as well as focusing on team chemistry.

I wonder whether this year's coaching approach has been spurred on in any way by Assistant Coach Jones's arrival. Does anyone know anything about Jones's coaching style or philosphy, or what his roll is for our program?

Date: January 18, 2009 12:30PM

Chris '03
Yale also takes a TON of penalties. However, given this Cornell team's propensity to turn the puck over in its own end and Backman and Arcobello's ability to find the back of the net
And Broc Little leads the nation with 5 shorthanded goals.

Re: not shaking hands with RPI after the game
Posted by: Oat (---.c3-0.avec-ubr11.nyr-avec.ny.cable.rcn.com)
Date: January 18, 2009 12:31PM

amerks127
It's apparent that as this club hits its stride, each and every player is now buying into Schafer's system. From what I've heard and witnessed, it almost feels like Schafer is taking a Herb Brooks style approach to coaching this season. He's really forcing the team to work hard in practice, emphasizing physical strength and stamina, as well as focusing on team chemistry. Schafer's a relatively classy coach, willing to take a fish to the face from Section B to protect the Harvard players, and if he wanted his team to shake hands with RPIcing at the end of the game, it would have. Instead, the team makes a cohesive stand, protecting their own, before exiting as one. At the end of the season, when you want to take a look at where the teamed gelled and came together, this may very well be an important factor..

So according to this article it was the officials, not Schafer, who instructed the team to exit the ice without the customary post-game handshake line.

[cornellbigred.com]

I don't know how reliable this information is though. From the video feed, it seemed to me that Schafer definitely told everyone to skate out to Davenport and help him off the ice.

Date: January 18, 2009 12:32PM

Elie was making of an article from the Sun last semester.

[elf.elynah.com]

About a month after the fact she realized her mistake and fixed it on the website...

Posted by: Joe09JD (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2009 12:38PM

Oat
amerks127
It's apparent that as this club hits its stride, each and every player is now buying into Schafer's system. From what I've heard and witnessed, it almost feels like Schafer is taking a Herb Brooks style approach to coaching this season. He's really forcing the team to work hard in practice, emphasizing physical strength and stamina, as well as focusing on team chemistry. Schafer's a relatively classy coach, willing to take a fish to the face from Section B to protect the Harvard players, and if he wanted his team to shake hands with RPIcing at the end of the game, it would have. Instead, the team makes a cohesive stand, protecting their own, before exiting as one. At the end of the season, when you want to take a look at where the teamed gelled and came together, this may very well be an important factor..

So according to this article it was the officials, not Schafer, who instructed the team to exit the ice without the customary post-game handshake line.

[cornellbigred.com]

I don't know how reliable this information is though. From the video feed, it seemed to me that Schafer definitely told everyone to skate out to Davenport and help him off the ice.

Ithaca Journal's live blog also says that it was the officials' decision to cancel the handshakes and that the info was verified by both coaches.

Link to Blog

Date: January 18, 2009 12:39PM

Oat
amerks127

[cornellbigred.com]

Those of us who were there quite clearly saw the officials stridently direct both teams to leave the ice in opposite directions without the customary handshake.

- Steve Worona

Date: January 18, 2009 12:48PM

I saw RPI line up for the customary handshake, and plenty of trash talking as Cornell skated by, which is why I assumed Cornell balked...

Posted by: cth95 (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2009 12:52PM

This weekend, the style of play reminded me much more of the '03, '05, and '06 teams than I saw each of the last two years. Cornell bent a few times, but they never really broke. Despite some good possessions by both Union and RPI in the Cornell zone, I didn't see either team get many clean looks at Scrivens. In '07 and '08, it seemed like we saw more odd-man rushes and breakaways in any given game then we saw in nearly any of those earlier seasons. I even noticed Roeszler block two shots in a row during one RPI possession. When tiny forwards are playing great "D", things look good.

As far as the team not shaking hands, I thought that might have been a smart move by Schafer and not just a diss to RPI. With both teams pretty fired up, maybe he didn't want someone on either team saying something smart, and then punches being thrown. The last thing we need is to lose 5 or 6 players next weekend.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2009 12:55PM by cth95.

Date: January 18, 2009 01:26PM

amerks127
I saw RPI line up for the customary handshake, and plenty of trash talking as Cornell skated by, which is why I assumed Cornell balked...

They did line up for the customary handshake. Then the officials made several unmistakable gestures to each team to skate off to their respective exits immediately.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 18, 2009 06:43PM

Beeeej
Those of us who were there quite clearly saw the officials stridently direct both teams to leave the ice in opposite directions without the customary handshake.
Not everyone who was there.

Posted by: hypotenuse (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 18, 2009 08:14PM

Because we don't score much, even though we've only lost the one game it is hard to give this team the credit that it is probably due. The tendency is to downplay both us and the opposition when we keep winning by 2-1 , but when you look at our opponents, they've all had big victories- with scoring--against "strong" teams. So I think we have to conclude that we've got a well coached, well prepared, damned good team. This team is not like the Harkness teams-- which won a lot of games by 12-1, but it plays a different system and plays it well. LGR!

Posted by: Robb (---.ip.mcleodusa.net)
Date: January 18, 2009 08:55PM

hypotenuse
Because we don't score much, even though we've only lost the one game it is hard to give this team the credit that it is probably due. The tendency is to downplay both us and the opposition when we keep winning by 2-1 , but when you look at our opponents, they've all had big victories- with scoring--against "strong" teams. So I think we have to conclude that we've got a well coached, well prepared, damned good team. This team is not like the Harkness teams-- which won a lot of games by 12-1, but it plays a different system and plays it well. LGR!

Yes, but...

I'm going on record today predicting that Cornell gets a #1 seed and loses its regional championship game.

To date, we've played precisely one team in the top 10 of PWR, RPI, KRACH, KPWR, KASA, Heal, and RHEAL - Princeton. If you reach all the way over to CHODR then you can add SCSU at #6 and NoDak at #10 (but then Princeton doesn't count at #17), and in CCHP we haven't played any top 10 teams. IMHO, there's a BIG difference between being better than average with the discipline to show up every game versus being a truly great team.

Cornell should get to play a fairly average team in its first NCAA game (yea, autobids!), so we can play our normal game and win that one. The NCAA regional final will be the first time we really face a top team all season. Are we good enough to contain Blue Chip forwards? Do we have enough scoring punch to beat a really fast defense? Those are unanswered questions, and given our schedule, they will continue to be unanswered until our regional final. Obviously, I hope that I'm wrong and that we ARE that good - but I just can't quite bring myself to believe it yet.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 18, 2009 09:34PM

Robb
The NCAA regional final will be the first time we really face a top team all season. Are we good enough to contain Blue Chip forwards? Do we have enough scoring punch to beat a really fast defense? Those are unanswered questions, and given our schedule, they will continue to be unanswered until our regional final. Obviously, I hope that I'm wrong and that we ARE that good - but I just can't quite bring myself to believe it yet.

Which speaks to the importance of having teams like North Dakota and (hopefully next year) BU on the schedule. The 2003 team played BU (admittedly in a somewhat down season) and knew that it could dominate a talented team, which was probably an important lesson when it came to facing, say, BC in the regional final; a couple of years later, the 2005 team had less-than-stellar results against Michigan State and BC, but they did, in those games, learn what it would take to hang with the best; and in 2006, the team entered the playoffs largely untested, making their failures and successes, if anything, only surprising.

I feel the team is one year ahead of schedule; that is, whatever happens this year is a real surprise. 2010 seemed the real goal. With BU and North Dakota on the schedule, plus the Florida tournament, that team should be battle-tested indeed. This year, have we learned enough from North Dakota and SCSU? As Robb indicates, who knows?
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2009 09:37PM by Scersk '97.

Date: January 18, 2009 09:54PM

The BC, Minnesota and Wisconsin regional finals all went to overtime. Puck luck figured in the difference in results more than anything else.

Date: January 18, 2009 10:30PM

OK, so I've got to ask it; how were the Snickers? Did he do a good job? Or did he chicken out at the last minute? After all, he was a backup. :-D

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 18, 2009 10:54PM

Jim Hyla
OK, so I've got to ask it; how were the Snickers? Did he do a good job? Or did he chicken out at the last minute? After all, he was a backup. :-D

The "Safety Snickers" were great. Who's going to complain about free candy, though? ;)

Date: January 18, 2009 10:54PM

Jim Hyla

Second-string Jim did a fine job - at least in the sense that I ended up with at least one Snickers. :-)

- Steve Worona

Date: January 18, 2009 11:05PM

I really appreciated the Snickers. Jim, when I didn't see you there Friday, I thought it was going to be my first game in recent memory without the opportunity.

I'm not sure who you are, "2nd String Jim", but thanks for taking over.

Posted by: mha (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2009 11:59PM

My pleasure. I figured someone had to serve as the Emergency Backup Jim! And I have to say, it was a lot easier at Union than at RPI. The Cornell fans at Houston were too spread out by their luck-of-the-draw ticket sales approach.

Date: January 19, 2009 12:01AM

mha
My pleasure. I figured someone had to serve as the Emergency Backup Jim! And I have to say, it was a lot easier at Union than at RPI. The Cornell fans at Houston were too spread out by their luck-of-the-draw ticket sales approach.

Who was that masked man??

- Steve Worona

Posted by: lynah80 (---.uphs.upenn.edu)
Date: January 19, 2009 12:51AM

INCH dropped Yale from their top 20 today (1/19/09). Funny what a one point weekend will do.

Posted by: lynah80 (---.uphs.upenn.edu)
Date: January 19, 2009 01:20AM

Robb
Yes, but...

I'm going on record today predicting that Cornell gets a #1 seed and loses its regional championship game.

To date, we've played precisely one team in the top 10 of PWR, RPI, KRACH, KPWR, KASA, Heal, and RHEAL - Princeton. If you reach all the way over to CHODR then you can add SCSU at #6 and NoDak at #10 (but then Princeton doesn't count at #17), and in CCHP we haven't played any top 10 teams. IMHO, there's a BIG difference between being better than average with the discipline to show up every game versus being a truly great team.

Cornell should get to play a fairly average team in its first NCAA game (yea, autobids!), so we can play our normal game and win that one. The NCAA regional final will be the first time we really face a top team all season. Are we good enough to contain Blue Chip forwards? Do we have enough scoring punch to beat a really fast defense? Those are unanswered questions, and given our schedule, they will continue to be unanswered until our regional final. Obviously, I hope that I'm wrong and that we ARE that good - but I just can't quite bring myself to believe it yet.

I think a similar criticism could be made of Notre Dame. The only decent team they've beaten is BC. They've played some strong teams (Denver and Miami) but without success. It will be very interesting to see how they do against Michigan in 2 weeks.
Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2009 01:47AM by lynah80.

Posted by: lynah80 (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 19, 2009 07:41PM

Chris '03
Yale also takes a TON of penalties. However, given this Cornell team's propensity to turn the puck over in its own end and Backman and Arcobello's ability to find the back of the net, I'm not ready to hand it to the Red just yet. I'd be mighty impressed if Cornell shuts down the Yale offense all together. It'll probably take 3 to win either of the games with Yale.

I think Cornell turns the puck over a lot when confronted with a two man fore check. I'm sure Yale knows that (Colgate certainly does) and I'm sure Mike has been trying to fix it.

Redarding the Backman, Arcobello, O'Neill line, they do score a lot (26, 21, 47), but they haven't faced Mugford, Nicholls and Scali yet. Speaking of Scali, I hope he is ok. He has missed a few games recently. Has any one heard anything?

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 19, 2009 07:45PM

lynah80
Speaking of Scali, I hope he is ok. He has missed a few games recently. Has any one heard anything?
From what I have heard He has been a healthy scratch lately. There's good competition for the last forward spot right now so we may see guys splitting ice time.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2009 09:40PM

Scali was practicing today and looked up to speed.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2009 08:55AM

Robb
hypotenuse

Yes, but...

If one were to put the effort into it, this discussion could probably be extrapolated to argue in favor of the NCAA lacrosse selection criteria (*shudder*).

Posted by: Robb (---.etn.com)
Date: January 20, 2009 09:29AM

Josh '99
Robb
hypotenuse

Yes, but...

If one were to put the effort into it, this discussion could probably be extrapolated to argue in favor of the NCAA lacrosse selection criteria (*shudder*).
Now, now - let's don't be ridiculous! :)

I'm not saying that the selection (or seeding) criteria should be changed, or that SoS is the end-all, be-all. I'm talking about actual game experience. Somehow, I just don't think that playing Princeton a couple of times (or even 10 times) is going to prepare the guys adequately to play the likes of Denver or Michigan; one of those would be our 2nd round opponent based on the latest Bracketology Blog at USCHO.

Date: January 20, 2009 12:55PM

I have seen Denver and Michigan play numerice times this year and I think we could beat them.Michigan had alot of trouble with St Lawrence and Niagera at HOME.If we play are style we could beat anybody in the nation,if we don't we could lose to anybody in the nation.

Date: January 20, 2009 01:13PM

dragonfan
Michigan had alot of trouble with St Lawrence and Niagera at HOME.
So. Did. We.

Date: January 20, 2009 01:35PM

In the three games we have played agianst Niagera and St Lawrence we have allowed 1 goal and scored 6.They were tough games,but we played are style and beat them.Michigan in three games gave up 9 goals and scored 14,I am a big fan of Def wins games.

Date: January 20, 2009 01:50PM

dragonfan
In the three games we have played agianst Niagera and St Lawrence we have allowed 1 goal and scored 6.They were tough games,but we played are style and beat them.Michigan in three games gave up 9 goals and scored 14,I am a big fan of Def wins games.

Y'know, I pick on the Sun for grammatical errors and editorial lapses because it's a formal publication, one which should be held to a higher standard. It's been years since I habitually picked on individual posters for mistakes in their posts, mostly because I've grown to believe that it's just bad form, and doesn't do anybody any good - at least unless I can make constructive humor out of it. But I'm going to make an exception here.

Oh my GOD, would you PLEASE learn the difference between "our" and "are" before you graduate from middle school?!

That is all.

- Steve Worona

Date: January 20, 2009 02:02PM

I did not realize I have to make it perfect for the ELF!!!! sorry Beeeeeej

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 20, 2009 02:10PM

dragonfan
I don't think he's been reading this forum very long.... :-D

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: January 20, 2009 03:32PM

Robb
dragonfan
So. Did. We.
I think the point remains, though, that "big schools" like Michigan really aren't wholly different than us simply by virtue of being "big schools" and that we shouldn't be intimidated by them because of that fact.

Posted by: redice (---.154.223.35.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: January 20, 2009 04:21PM

Beeeej
It's been years since I habitually picked on individual posters for mistakes in their posts, mostly because I've grown to believe that it's just bad form......

Methinks someone's memory is failing: Couldn't resist Beeeej!! whistle

Alumni in the Pros - September 2008
Date: September 08, 2008 01:54PM

Sorry... I just got really tired of seeing "Alumnis" and "Auguust" at the top of the forum. It's been September for over a week now.

- Steve Worona

Date: January 20, 2009 04:24PM

redice
Beeeej
It's been years since I habitually picked on individual posters for mistakes in their posts, mostly because I've grown to believe that it's just bad form......

Well, really, who can resist me? ;-)

- Steve Worona

Date: January 20, 2009 04:37PM

Josh '99
Robb
dragonfan
So. Did. We.
I think the point remains, though, that "big schools" like Michigan really aren't wholly different than us simply by virtue of being "big schools" and that we shouldn't be intimidated by them because of that fact.
That's not what I meant to imply. By my reckoning, Michigan will play 11 regular season games against teams currently in the top 15 (ND, Miami, OSU, and BU). We'll have played 2 - both against Princeton.

I'm just glad someone's glass is half full to help balance out mind. Besides, someone's got to give KeithK a run for biggest curmudgeon on the board... panic

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: January 20, 2009 04:57PM

Robb
I'm just glad someone's glass is half full to help balance out mind.
I can't decide if you meant to type "mine" or if you were suggesting that his half-full glass matches his half-full mind.

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: January 20, 2009 05:09PM

I thought maybe you were using dictation software. Would've been a plausible excuse...:-P

Date: January 20, 2009 05:10PM

ugarte
Robb
I'm just glad someone's glass is half full to help balance out mind.
I can't decide if you meant to type "mine" or if you were suggesting that his half-full glass matches his half-full mind.
Ugh. Must remember not to post while coding... The debugger does not help me here!

"mine."

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2009 12:15PM

Beeeej

Our you kidding?? nut

Posted by: Trotsky (199.46.149.---)
Date: January 21, 2009 12:46PM

Beeeej
redice
Beeeej

I don't think this is the place to review your dating history...

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: January 29, 2009 03:24PM

dragonfan

If he hadn't done it, I would have, and also pointed out the spelling of numerous and Niagara.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: January 29, 2009 04:03PM

jtwcornell91
dragonfan

If he hadn't done it, I would have, and also pointed out the spelling of numerous and Niagara.

I actually enjoyed the misspelling "numerice." That takes creativity.

Date: February 15, 2009 09:51PM

In four games since his suspension by the ECAC, Eric Burgdoefer has resumed his pursuit of the NCAA PIM record.

Feb 6 (vs. Union) 2 min, roughing
Feb 7 (vs. Union) 2 min, hooking, penalty shot for Union

Feb 13 (vs. Brown) 2 min interference, 10 minute misconduct
Feb 14( vs. Yale) none

He leads the team with 88 PIM and Rensselaer is still #3 in the nation behind Ferris St. and Mankato.

Date: February 15, 2009 10:25PM

lynah80
In four games since his suspension by the ECAC, Eric Burgdoefer has resumed his pursuit of the NCAA PIM record.... He leads the team with 88 PIM and Rensselaer is still #3 in the nation behind Ferris St. and Mankato.

But don't you kind of miss having players like him? (Well, not exactly like him, but you'll get the idea here.)
Mike Schafer  Sr  1986   91
Rob Levasseur So  1987   95
Dan Dufresne  So  1994   80
Matt Cooney   Jr  1996  104
Steve Wilson  Jr  1996   83
Greg Hornby   Jr  2003   98
All of them great performances of a kind.

The one-two punch of Cooney and Wilson was a sight to behold. Cooney was like a guided missle, and Wilson was the best pest I've ever seen on a Cornell hockey team. He absolutely infuriated opponents.

Maybe they were assholes, but they were our assholes.

Date: February 15, 2009 10:33PM

Scersk '97
But don't you kind of miss having players like him? (Well, not exactly like him, but you'll get the idea here.)

Kind of funny that Dufresne had the lowest of the six listed above, given how we used to joke that the bench in the Cornell penalty box had "Reserved: Dan Dufresne" etched onto it. And as guided missiles go, I think that's a more apt description of Hornby; Cooney had a great hit, but he rarely started setting it up a minute and a half beforehand using his psychic powers the way Hornby seemed to.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2009 10:47PM

Beeeej
Kind of funny that Dufresne had the lowest of the six listed above, given how we used to joke that the bench in the Cornell penalty box had "Reserved: Dan Dufresne" etched onto it.

T'wasn't just a joke. The old bench actually had that carved in it.

Agreed on Hornby. Cooney's hits were timely and surgical in nature. He was the perfect tool to blaze a trail for Chartrand. (God, I loved that line). But Hornby locked in his target from across the ice. It really was like a heat-seeker. I enjoyed screaming "HORNBEEEEEE" and always getting the *BOOM* of the hit to punctuate it.

As for Steve Wilson, the word "agitator" comes to mind.

Date: February 15, 2009 10:51PM

RichH
Beeeej
Kind of funny that Dufresne had the lowest of the six listed above, given how we used to joke that the bench in the Cornell penalty box had "Reserved: Dan Dufresne" etched onto it.

T'wasn't just a joke. The old bench actually had that carved in it.

I hope someone thought to give it to him when they took it out.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 15, 2009 11:18PM

Scersk '97

Not to mention:
Kevin Pettit 	Sr 	1971 	111
Doug Ferguson 	Sr 	1967 	103
Joe Gallant 	Jr 	1981 	95
John Olds 	Fr 	1979 	89
Doug Ferguson 	So 	1965 	86
Harry Orr 	Sr 	1967 	81
John Olds 	So 	1980 	81
Kevin Pettit 	Jr 	1970 	80

How about them apples? If we had a few more players like this, we would have a chance at the NCAA title. In fact, some of them did.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2009 11:21PM by Swampy.

Date: February 16, 2009 12:24AM

Swampy
Scersk '97

Not to mention:
John Olds 	Fr 	1979 	89
Harry Orr 	Sr 	1967 	81
John Olds 	So 	1980 	81

How about them apples? If we had a few more players like this, we would have a chance at the NCAA title. In fact, some of them did.

Your list is also a good representation of guys who couldn't skate well. Maybe they would have incurred fewer penalties if the NCAA allowed double runner skates.
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2009 02:01AM by lynah80.

Posted by: lynah80 (---.med.upenn.edu)
Date: February 16, 2009 12:56AM

Scersk '97
lynah80
In four games since his suspension by the ECAC, Eric Burgdoefer has resumed his pursuit of the NCAA PIM record.... He leads the team with 88 PIM and Rensselaer is still #3 in the nation behind Ferris St. and Mankato.

But don't you kind of miss having players like him?

I hope Bergdoerfer contributes a lot to the RPI effort on Friday night. He can help Lange fish the puck out of his net after each goal.
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2009 01:59AM by lynah80.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 07:14AM

lynah80
Swampy
Scersk '97

Not to mention:
John Olds 	Fr 	1979 	89
Harry Orr 	Sr 	1967 	81
John Olds 	So 	1980 	81

Your list is also a good representation of guys who couldn't skate well. Maybe they would have incurred fewer penalties if the NCAA allowed double runner skates.
Doug Ferguson and Harry Orr couldn't skate well? Coulda fooled me.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: February 16, 2009 08:46AM

RichH
Agreed on Hornby. Cooney's hits were timely and surgical in nature. He was the perfect tool to blaze a trail for Chartrand. (God, I loved that line). But Hornby locked in his target from across the ice. It really was like a heat-seeker. I enjoyed screaming "HORNBEEEEEE" and always getting the *BOOM* of the hit to punctuate it.

As I mentioned at the time, Scali had a hit the other night reminiscent of early Hornby, when he was a somewhat less-guided missile, careening across the ice to line someone up.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: redice (---.154.220.241.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 09:39AM

Al DeFlorio
lynah80
Swampy
Scersk '97

Not to mention:
John Olds 	Fr 	1979 	89
Harry Orr 	Sr 	1967 	81
John Olds 	So 	1980 	81

As for Johnny Olds, I don't recall if he skated well or poorly. But, I do know that his skates never stopped until the whistle blew. Constant motion. Fun to watch!!

-Ned Harkness

Date: February 16, 2009 02:50PM

Swampy

I was thinking much the same thing when I was making my list. It's striking how often great Cornell teams have had one (or two) of these "top" penalty performers. They are the kind of player that provides an "edge" that, well, can turn around the lack of intensity that leads to, say, losses at Harvard and ties against Colgate. (Ahem.)

Date: February 16, 2009 06:29PM

I liked Hornby's physical presence, but didn't he basically throw a punch and get a two-minute penalty with about 3 minutes left in Buffalo? I was there and very excited about how Cornell was swarming all over UNH. I thought we really had a chance to tie it up. I was pretty pissed at the penalty, which basically blew any chance we had.

Date: February 16, 2009 06:40PM

cth95
I liked Hornby's physical presence, but didn't he basically throw a punch and get a two-minute penalty with about 3 minutes left in Buffalo? I was there and very excited about how Cornell was swarming all over UNH. I thought we really had a chance to tie it up. I was pretty pissed at the penalty, which basically blew any chance we had.

No - in fact, Hornby had an assist on our second goal with a little more than ten minutes left. Shane Hynes took a high-sticking penalty with 3:08 left.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: lynah80 (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 07:14PM

Al DeFlorio
Okay, I admit, these guys pre-date me.

redice

As for Johnny Olds, I don't recall if he skated well or poorly. But, I do know that his skates never stopped until the whistle blew. Constant motion. Fun to watch!!

He was exciting, but he skated like a windup toy.

Date: February 16, 2009 08:38PM

lynah80
Al DeFlorio
Okay, I admit, these guys pre-date me.
But it's not hard to go back with TBRW? and see what they did. It's certainly unlikely that a leading scorer, ECAC rookie of the year, ECAC player of the year, and All-American like Doug Ferguson; or a prime defenseman, ECAC First Team,and All-American like Harry Orr, did not skate well. And they both made the TBRW? All-Star Teams.

Not meaning to jump too harshly, but Coach realizes the importance of tradition and we should too. The eLynah crowd has made research on our past very easy, and for that I'm appreciative. Yes, it is true that as you get older you remember the past more; not to take away from the present, but to try and put it all in context. And remembering the past sometimes helps to get through some of the present.

Date: February 17, 2009 06:47AM

Beeeej
No - in fact, Hornby had an assist on our second goal with a little more than ten minutes left. Shane Hynes took a high-sticking penalty with 3:08 left.

Thanks for clearing that up. I got the "H" right. I just remember being pretty pissed and thinking "What the hell were you thinking?!" From what I saw, the penalty seemed pretty unneccessary. Maybe it wasn't as bad of a penalty as I thought, but the timing was horrible. At least I can be mad at the right player now. Sorry, Hornby.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2009 12:36PM by cth95.

Date: February 17, 2009 11:07AM

cth95
And even with that penalty it took an insane facemask-save by the UHN goalie with ~ 30 seconds left to keep that game from going to OT. Cornell kept swarming after the penalty.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2009 01:27PM by ugarte.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: February 17, 2009 11:54AM

ugarte
And even with that penalty it took an insane facemask-save by the UHN goalie with ~ 30 seconds left to keep that game from going to OT. Cornell kept swarming after the penalty.

[www.elynah.com] :-D

Date: February 17, 2009 12:31PM

Ugarte

I was thinking about that while I typed. I just couldn't remember exactly when it happened. I also was thinking about your picture, Age. That is an absolutely amazing shot.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2009 12:37PM by cth95.

Date: February 17, 2009 01:30PM

CowbellGuy
ugarte

[www.elynah.com] :-D
That picture fails to capture my agony. But it does show how ridiculous the save was - the goalie couldn't get either of his arms anywhere near the puck and it still didn't go in.

*sigh*

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: February 17, 2009 04:10PM

Swampy
Scersk '97

Not to mention:
John Olds 	Fr 	1979 	89
Harry Orr 	Sr 	1967 	81
John Olds 	So 	1980 	81

The 60s-early 70's guys penalty totals are deceptive. There was quite a bit more fighting then, so racking up PIMs 5 at a time got you up there pretty quick. On the other hand, they didn't have that pussy charging from behind major back then. Either way Burgdorfer is a goon. And he doesn't offset his goonery with points or great defensive plays with much frequency.asshole

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 22, 2009 11:46AM

Scersk '97
Swampy

I was thinking much the same thing when I was making my list. It's striking how often great Cornell teams have had one (or two) of these "top" penalty performers. They are the kind of player that provides an "edge" that, well, can turn around the lack of intensity that leads to, say, losses at Harvard and ties against Colgate. (Ahem.)

Yeah,but also consider Al's comment. That Doug Ferguson still holds so many Cornell records for scoring, given not only the great players on his team but also the great players who followed him over the next 40 years, speaks volumes about what kind of tremendous player he was. He was hardly a one-dimensional thug.twak

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2009 01:14PM

Swampy
Yeah,but also consider Al's comment. That Doug Ferguson still holds so many Cornell records for scoring, given not only the great players on his team but also the great players who followed him over the next 40 years, speaks volumes about what kind of tremendous player he was. He was hardly a one-dimensional thug.twak
Give me a center who can score 27 goals and hand out 34 assists (as Doug did in the 1966-67 championship season) and I won't care if he's a Lady Byng candidate.**]

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr5.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 22, 2009 01:21PM

Al DeFlorio
Swampy
Give me a center who can score 27 goals and hand out 34 assists (as Doug did in the 1966-67 championship season) and I won't care if he's a Lady Byng candidate.**]

Hell, give us a center wo can put up those numbers and we won't care if it's Lady Byng herself.

Date: February 22, 2009 01:47PM

Killer
Al DeFlorio
Swampy

Hell, give us a center wo can put up those numbers and we won't care if it's Lady Byng herself.

I think she's used up all her eligibility.

- Steve Worona

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login