Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Union & RPI Roll Call

Posted by mha 
Union & RPI Roll Call
Posted by: mha (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 12, 2009 07:18PM

Evening, all! Trying to decide where to stay for the upcoming Union/RPI weekend. Tentatively narrowed it down to the Hampton Inn in Schenectady, which is walking distance to the rink, some decent food, and a fun Irish pub right behind the hotel for drinking afterwards; or the Hampton Inn in downtown Albany, which is walking distance to another facility of our acquaintance, as well as lots of food and drink.

The Albany one has paid parking, and would require us to drive after the game, but gives us a better variety of Friday night entertainment.

If there are lots of folks staying in one area or the other, or somewhere else entirely, it'll help influence our decision of where to stay and thus meet up with fellow fans!

Either way, most likely driving back Saturday night after the RPI game, unless the weather's so crappy as to make travel impossible.

Already looking forward to enjoying the Albany Pump Station, Anthony's Chocolate Dipped Fruit, Plum Blossom, and maybe even Popeyes this weekend. :-) See you there!

Let's Go Red!

Re: Union & RPI Roll Call
Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 12, 2009 07:53PM

I'll be there, but I'm actually driving to CT in between games for my cousin's bar mitzvah, so I won't be staying in the area.

My recommendation would be to stay at the Hampton Inn in Albany, since Schenectady is a terrible town.

Posted by: amerks127 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: January 12, 2009 08:02PM

I'll be there.

Posted by: cth95 (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2009 08:03PM

I'll be at both games with a buddy of mine. We are going to ski at Pico near Killington, VT on Saturday, so we are going to split the difference and stay in Glens Falls. If anyone wants to join us for a ski day and you are at least comfortable on blue trails feel free to PM me.

I'm sure we could manage to hang around after either (or both) game(s) for a couple of rounds. drunk

Posted by: mha (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 12, 2009 08:12PM

Schenectady is indeed the ass end of the Capital District, but they've got enough good food and drink for our needs on Friday night without having to pay a cover to listen to crappy loud music while drinking $6 beers downtown. :-)

Posted by: Flyers1037 (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2009 08:24PM

I'll be driving up from Baltimore, but staying with friends. See you guys at the games.drunk

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 12, 2009 10:50PM

mha
The Albany one has paid parking, and would require us to drive after the game, but gives us a better variety of Friday night entertainment.
If it makes a difference in your decision-making process, there's plenty of street parking around the Albany Hampton Inn.

Posted by: jts15 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 13, 2009 08:07AM

We like to go to Brown's on River St. in Troy [www.brownsbrewing.com] . It's not far from the rink. If you like beer I highly recommend them as well as the Pump Station in Albany (also known as CH Evans [www.evansale.com]).

I'll be at the RPI game...bringing my daughter to her 1st game. She'll be wearing her Red Wings jersey since I can't seem to find a toddler CU jersey. Not to derail the thread but does anyone know where you can get youth Big Red jerseys?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: January 13, 2009 09:41AM

jts15
Not to derail the thread but does anyone know where you can get youth Big Red jerseys?
Campus store, I think.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hortonpv.ul.warwick.net)
Date: January 13, 2009 12:51PM

I'll be at RPI with a few family members after a day's skiing at Mt. Snow :-)

Posted by: jnachod (208.89.21.---)
Date: January 13, 2009 01:04PM

Don't waste too much money on hotels! Hotels in the Albany, NY area are only really expensive during the summer horse racing season... the rest of the year bargains can be had easily.

It's probably possible to get a hotel in the neighborhood of $50-60 for a 2 1/2 or 3 star on Priceline.com (however, getting a hotel this way eliminates earning airline reward credits, which may be a consideration for some).

Posted by: mha (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: January 13, 2009 01:40PM

I do like earning those reward points, but more important to me is having better control over where I end up. I could specify "Downtown Albany" and still be in walking distance to nothing. No thanks.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 13, 2009 01:58PM

mha
I do like earning those reward points, but more important to me is having better control over where I end up. I could specify "Downtown Albany" and still be in walking distance to nothing. No thanks.
Sometimes saving a few bucks isn't worth it. Convienance is worth paying a little for if you can afford it.

Campus store is right...
Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: January 13, 2009 03:26PM

They have a whole lot of little kid gear - it's on the east wall of the lower level where the other Tshirts and clothing are.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: January 13, 2009 04:24PM

My usual place for the Albany tournament is the Econolodge on Wolf Rd. in Colonie. Plenty of nearby restaurants, and a short drive (<10 miles) to any arena in Capitol district. And pretty cheap.

Re: Campus store is right...
Date: January 13, 2009 04:26PM

Thanks guys. Unfortunately I haven't been to Ithaca in some time and I don't find jerseys for kids online. I'll have to make the trip out I guess.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 13, 2009 04:46PM

jts15
Thanks guys. Unfortunately I haven't been to Ithaca in some time and I don't find jerseys for kids online. I'll have to make the trip out I guess.

Or call the Campus Store and ask. Or ask one of us to buy, if you think we can come up with the right size. Starting kids out on the right foot is important, so I'm sure we can work this out.starwars

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2009 04:48PM by Jim Hyla.

Posted by: Robb (---.etn.com)
Date: January 13, 2009 04:51PM

Jim Hyla
Starting kids out on the right foot is important, so I'm sure we can work this out.starwars
Indeed. My brother ('92) and his wife (Law '00 or so) were just having a discussion with his 2.5 year old about pizza coming from the Italians. My nephew looked at him in all earnestness and said, "But I'm not Italian. I'm Cornellian!"

:-D
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2009 04:51PM by Robb.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 13, 2009 05:42PM

Another possibility might be Perfect Screen Printers (PSP).

[www.pspunlimited.com]

They sell merchandise at the games at Lynah, and I expect would be flexible enough to ship you something. I believe they are also the Elynah recommended place to get game-worn Jersey nameplates, etc. I have no connection with them other than being a satisfied customer.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (128.153.220.---)
Date: January 13, 2009 08:08PM

Robb
"But I'm not Italian. I'm Cornellian!"

Tragic...

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2009 08:25PM

jnachod
Don't waste too much money on hotels! Hotels in the Albany, NY area are only really expensive during the summer horse racing season... the rest of the year bargains can be had easily.

It's probably possible to get a hotel in the neighborhood of $50-60 for a 2 1/2 or 3 star on Priceline.com (however, getting a hotel this way eliminates earning airline reward credits, which may be a consideration for some).
Or try [www.roomsaver.com]

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 13, 2009 09:48PM

Dpperk29
Robb

Tragic...

As opposed to I'm Crayolan?

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 13, 2009 10:38PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
My usual place for the Albany tournament is the Econolodge on Wolf Rd. in Colonie. Plenty of nearby restaurants, and a short drive (<10 miles) to any arena in Capitol district. And pretty cheap.

I'll second this recommendation. It's a nice property at a good price.

Personally, though, I've sworn off staying there after they sorta jobbed me regarding a cancellation penalty last year during the ECACs.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2009 11:44PM

Robb
Jim Hyla
Starting kids out on the right foot is important, so I'm sure we can work this out.starwars
Indeed. My brother ('92) and his wife (Law '00 or so) were just having a discussion with his 2.5 year old about pizza coming from the Italians. My nephew looked at him in all earnestness and said, "But I'm not Italian. I'm Cornellian!"

I love it!

Date: January 14, 2009 12:00AM

marty
Dpperk29
Robb

Tragic...

As opposed to I'm Crayolan?

I hate Tech's third jersey this year just as much as you do.

Date: January 14, 2009 10:15AM

Thanks for the offer. I'll give them a call and see. I don't want to put anybody out looking for a jersey for me. She has her Wings jersey for this weekend anyway.

Posted by: RichH (---.client.stsn.net)
Date: January 14, 2009 11:27PM

jts15
We like to go to Brown's on River St. in Troy [www.brownsbrewing.com] . It's not far from the rink. If you like beer I highly recommend them as well as the Pump Station in Albany (also known as CH Evans [www.evansale.com]).

I'll be at the RPI game...bringing my daughter to her 1st game. She'll be wearing her Red Wings jersey since I can't seem to find a toddler CU jersey. Not to derail the thread but does anyone know where you can get youth Big Red jerseys?

I've been planning on going to Brown's before the RPI game. Perhaps Pump House for lunch and Brown's for dinner?

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: January 14, 2009 11:35PM

I'm seriously considering skipping the trip to DC for Inauguration, and instead, going the RPI game, then having a nice, relaxed two days off at home.

Either way, my court obligations will keep me in NYC Friday, so I'll be at Ship of Fools for the Union game.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: January 14, 2009 11:39PM

Beeeej
I'm seriously considering skipping the trip to DC for Inauguration, and instead, going the RPI game, then having a nice, relaxed two days off at home.
Seems like a no-brainer to me. But then...

Posted by: dietlbomb (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 15, 2009 02:30AM

Is there a good place to pregame in Schenectady?

dietz

Date: January 15, 2009 07:35AM

dietlbomb
Is there a good place to pregame in Schenectady?

dietz

The Union Inn on Union Street, Pinhead Susan's on Liberty Street, Katie O'byrnes and Clinton's Ditch (Both on Erie) are all good places for a drink. Union Inn is closest, the others are all roughly the same distance. All are within walking distance.

edit:

if you are looking for food along with your drink, I think the food is best at Pinhead's. It's the usual bar type food, just make sure you try the sweet potato fries.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2009 07:38AM by Dpperk29.

Date: January 15, 2009 08:51AM

We tried out Clinton's Ditch for last year's playoff and had a good meal. Some good beers on tap too...Guinness and Smithwicks come to mind.

Originally we wanted to go to Pinhead Susan's but it was packed which is a good sign I guess. Now that I think of it I believe there was some sort of drinking festival going on at the time too. I still have this horrible memory of some drunk girl tripping and planting her face in the sidewalk. Still makes me shudder.

7:30 game time thought my ticket says 7
Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2009 04:38PM

from the Onion website:

SCHENECTADY, NY – As the Union College men’s ice hockey team prepares for its nationally televised game against No. 5 Cornell, the Dutchmen received even more exposure, being featured on ESPN.com. College Sports section. The article can be accessed by clicking here.

The Dutchmen welcome the Big Red to Messa Rink on Friday, Jan. 16 at 7:30 p.m. and the Red Raiders of Colgate on Saturday, Jan. 17 at 7:00 p.m. Friday’s game will be televised on the NHL Network, locally on Time Warner Sports Channel 3 and through the internet. Fans can catch both games on WRUC FM 89.7 or online at Teamline.cc. Live stats will be provided through UnionAthletics.com.

Also noticed that the game is listed at 7:30 on Time Warner Albany.

We should all be able to make it early enough to see warm ups!
Edit:

I just read Jim Hyla's Cornell on TV thread, so 7:30 it is.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2009 04:56PM by marty.

Posted by: jnachod (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2009 05:48PM

Let's hope the little strip of parking spots by the football field has some space left by the time I get there ! This frigid weather here in Albany is not conducive to long walks outside...

Posted by: jaybert (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 16, 2009 05:58PM

just signed up for the IO Sports Pack (random channels, includes the NHL Network) for $5.95/month so I can watch the game tonight

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login