Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Polls 1/12

Posted by sah67 
Polls 1/12
Posted by: sah67 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2009 01:22PM

[www.uscho.com]

We move up to #5 with two first-place votes, and we now have 4 ECAC teams ranked nationally, with Yale cracking the list at #19, Princeton sliding to #10, and Dartmouth falling to #18.

And for those of you who care, we're up to #3 in the oh-so-crucial INCH Power Rankings:
[insidecollegehockey.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2009 01:48PM by sah67.

Re: Polls 1/12
Posted by: Oat (---.c3-0.avec-ubr11.nyr-avec.ny.cable.rcn.com)
Date: January 12, 2009 01:29PM

The date is 1/12! :)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2009 01:31PM by Oat.

Posted by: finchphil (---.ne.business.static.dsci-net.com)
Date: January 12, 2009 01:33PM

If I read the poll correctly, the IVY League has as many teams (4) in the top 20 as the Big 10!

Posted by: Flyers1037 (155.104.37.---)
Date: January 12, 2009 02:10PM

finchphil
If I read the poll correctly, the IVY League has as many teams (4) in the top 20 as the Big 10!

If there was a Big 10 in hockey, I would agree.

Posted by: BCrespi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 12, 2009 02:15PM

Flyers1037
finchphil

Yes, but same can be said for the Ivy League. I think that's the point.

Posted by: Flyers1037 (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: January 12, 2009 02:25PM

BCrespi
Flyers1037
finchphil

Yes, but same can be said for the Ivy League. I think that's the point.

Point taken, but at least the Ivy League schools all play in the same conference and crown a winner at the end of the season.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: January 12, 2009 02:58PM

Flyers1037
crown a winner at the end of the season.
To the sublime sound of crickets. They simply haven't yet formalized the fact that no one cares.

Posted by: ganderson (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 12, 2009 03:02PM

Apropos of nothing, Pairwise rankings are up, and we're in second, behind (sucks to) BU. I know it's WAY too early to get excited about such things, but it's still nice.

Incidentally, although they're calculating record against TUC's, they're not awarding the point towards comparison for it. This strikes me as weird (especially as it flips our comparison with BU. :)

Anyone have any insight?

EDIT: Just remembered both teams have to have played 10 TUCs... never mind. :S
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2009 03:28PM by ganderson.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2009 03:15PM

ganderson
Apropos of nothing, Pairwise rankings are up, and we're in second, behind (sucks to) BU. I know it's WAY too early to get excited about such things, but it's still nice.

Incidentally, although they're calculating record against TUC's, they're not awarding the point towards comparison for it. This strikes me as weird (especially as it flips our comparison with BU. :)

Anyone have any insight?

TUC only counts when both teams being compared have played 10 TUC games.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 12, 2009 03:30PM

ganderson

Anyone have any insight?
The Pairwise are only now "up" in the sense that USCHo started posting them. SiouxSports and Whelan have had PWR for a while now. We were #1 a few weeks ago.

Here's my favorite PWR/tournament nightmare. Cornell finishes strong, returns to the tournament and captures a #1 regional seed. But only being ranked #3 or #4 in the PWR behind a couple of other eastern teams they get shipped to Marriucci against a regional field that includes big ice teams UNH and home team Minnesota.

Posted by: Robb (---.etn.com)
Date: January 12, 2009 03:33PM

Chris '03
ganderson

Anyone have any insight?

TUC only counts when both teams being compared have played 10 TUC games.
...not including games between the two teams being compared. Probably won't matter for us, since we *should* have the comparisons against the TUCs we've played (currently Princeton, Dartmouth, No Dak, SCSU, Yale, QU, and SLU) relatively solidly anyway (assuming that our past performance is a predictor of future results, of course).

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: January 12, 2009 04:56PM

KeithK
ganderson

Anyone have any insight?
The Pairwise are only now "up" in the sense that USCHo started posting them. SiouxSports and Whelan have had PWR for a while now. We were #1 a few weeks ago.

Here's my favorite PWR/tournament nightmare. Cornell finishes strong, returns to the tournament and captures a #1 regional seed. But only being ranked #3 or #4 in the PWR behind a couple of other eastern teams they get shipped to Marriucci against a regional field that includes big ice teams UNH and home team Minnesota.

The regional at Manchester is at the Verizon Arena, where the Monarchs play, which means NHL-sized ice.

However, the way the PWR works out this week, if they hold the brakets to 1-16, 2-15, etc., Minny would be on the east coast and in our bracket. Since they need to be at home, would they move the whole bracket to Mariucci to maintain "bracket integrity"? What's more important to the Committee?

However, as others have said many times, there's still a lot of hockey to be played before then.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2009 04:58PM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Date: January 12, 2009 05:03PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
KeithK
ganderson

Anyone have any insight?

The regional at Manchester is at the Verizon Arena, where the Monarchs play, which means NHL-sized ice.

However, the way the PWR works out this week, if they hold the brakets to 1-16, 2-15, etc., Minny would be on the east coast and in our bracket. Since they need to be at home, would they move the whole bracket to Mariucci to maintain "bracket integrity"? What's more important to the Committee?

However, as others have said many times, there's still a lot of hockey to be played before then.

Of course if this whole regionalization thing goes through and only 4 teams are seeded, and if Cornell is a low 1 behind other eastern teams, they'd get shipped to be the top seed in an otherwise all western regional regardless of bracket integrity.

Date: January 12, 2009 05:07PM

Jeff Hopkins '82

IIRC (and I may not), in the past they've placed the #1 seeds in their regions, filled out the brackets, and THEN swapped individual teams around to account for hosting and intra-conference matchups. The NC$$ appears to be putting on pressure to make travel considerations a bigger part of the equation, though, so who knows - seems like the selection & seeding criteria/process is never the same two years in a row.

Regardless of how they do it, it sure seems like things are shaping up to have at least 1 (if not 2) eastern teams sent west as #1 seeds, with Notre Dame the only "Western" team in the top 5 of PWR right now.

USA Today
Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 12, 2009 05:09PM

USA Today poll is out: [www.usatoday.com]

As in the USCHO poll, we're 5th with two first place votes.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: January 12, 2009 05:12PM

My understanding is that that's not what "bracket integrity" means - it means maintaining the #1 through #4 teams as the top seeds, #5 through #8 as the second seeds, etc. It's so that nobody is unfairly advantaged or disadvantaged by their matchup just because it would help prevent first-round intraconference games. So they consider #1 vs. #14 to be proper by this standard (which is what happened to us in 2003), and #4 vs. #16 also would be - but e.g., #1 vs. #12 would not be acceptable, even if #s 13-16 are all in #1's conference.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: January 12, 2009 05:19PM

Finish in the top 2 in PWR and it won't matter.

Posted by: Robb (---.att-inc.com)
Date: January 12, 2009 05:58PM

Beeeej
My understanding is that that's not what "bracket integrity" means - it means maintaining the #1 through #4 teams as the top seeds, #5 through #8 as the second seeds, etc.
I think people refer to maintaining the "sum of 17" (1+16, 2+15, etc) as "competitive equity" or something like that.

Date: January 12, 2009 06:00PM

Trotsky
Amen. Or, as I like to say, just win the next 22 in a row...

Posted by: Swampy (131.128.163.---)
Date: January 12, 2009 06:06PM

sah67
http://www.uscho.com/rankings/

We move up to #5 with two first-place votes, and we now have 4 ECAC teams ranked nationally, with Yale cracking the list at #19, Princeton sliding to #10, and Dartmouth falling to #18.

And for those of you who care, we're up to #3 in the oh-so-crucial INCH Power Rankings:

It's interesting that the comments for the top 3 teams on INCH all reflect their strong defensive performance.

Posted by: sah67 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2009 06:23PM

Swampy

It's interesting that the comments for the top 3 teams on INCH all reflect their strong defensive performance.

In contrast to USCHO, who, over the weekend, posted a front page headline about Notre Dame being "boring" despite their ridiculous winning streak. Almost like they had some WCHA-fanboy webmaster for a day or something.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2009 06:40PM

If UHN is host team in Manchester and they make the tournament (almost a given), they will play in Manchester.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: January 12, 2009 06:42PM

KeithK
Trotsky
Al Davis had the right idea. Just win, baby.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: January 13, 2009 09:36AM

Josh '99
KeithK
Trotsky
Al Davis had the right idea. Just win, baby.

As much as I dislike Al Davis, that saying goes through my head every time we start talking about "What does Cornell have to do to..."doh

Posted by: jnachod (208.89.21.---)
Date: January 13, 2009 01:11PM

We should make a cheer loosely based on Sarah Palin's rhetoric (drill, baby, drill) .... Win baby Win !

Posted by: ftyuv (---.techtarget.com)
Date: January 13, 2009 01:23PM

jnachod
We should make a cheer loosely based on Sarah Palin's rhetoric (drill, baby, drill) .... Win baby Win !
Or show up early enough for the warmup drills, and then you can just chant "drill baby drill" straight up.

Posted by: mnagowski (---.allfirst.com)
Date: January 13, 2009 01:30PM

Or show up early enough for the warmup drills, and then you can just chant "drill baby drill" straight up.

Now that's a great idea.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 13, 2009 03:39PM

KeithK

The first bracketology column is up and Cornell ends up in Grand Rapids even as the number two in PWR. Cornell v. Maine and BC v. Michigan.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2009 03:40PM by nyc94.

Date: January 13, 2009 04:26PM

nyc94
The first bracketology column is up and Cornell ends up in Grand Rapids even as the number two in PWR. Cornell v. Maine and BC v. Michigan.

USCHO
To be honest, I think Cornell is happier with this arrangement, rather than getting switched with BU, resulting in a UNH-Cornell matchup in Manchester. So we’ll stick with this.

Really? We'd be so hell-bent on playing the presumably "weaker" #14 instead of #13 that we'd rather go the 533 miles to Grand Rapids, Michigan instead of 380 miles to the far more Cornell-northeast-alumni-and-student-base-friendly Manchester, NH?!? Even with Manchester as a de facto home game for UNH?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2009 04:29PM by Beeeej.

Date: January 13, 2009 04:27PM

nyc94
KeithK

I'd scream bloody murder if they shipped us west in violation of their "highest seeds closest to home" rule. But there's a lot moer hockey to be played before we could claim a #2 PWR ranking, so it's not worth worrying about now.

Posted by: kaelistus (---.mak.com)
Date: January 13, 2009 04:29PM

Flashbacks to 2001.. This is WAY early but that bracketology column screws Cornell in every way possible. They get seeded in the west AND are forced to play the hardest 4th seed. Followed by a possible Michigan matchup on their ice. Really, this is pretty much the worst selection I can think of.

Date: January 13, 2009 04:30PM

nyc94
KeithK

I think this is the first time I've ever wanted to go to Bridgeport.

Date: January 13, 2009 04:30PM

Beeeej
Really? We'd be so hell-bent on playing the presumably "weaker" #14 instead of #13 that we'd rather go the 533 miles to Grand Rapids, Michigan instead of 380 miles to the far more Cornell-northeast-alumni-and-student-base-friendly Manchester, NH?!

Anybody else have any idea why we'd supposedly be happier with this?
While I agree that playing UNH "at home" isn't an ideal first round matchup there's no reason to think Cornell would be happier out west in his scenario. Now if the rink in Machester were Olympic size he might have a point but it's not.

Date: January 13, 2009 04:31PM

Beeeej
Really? We'd be so hell-bent on playing the presumably "weaker" #14 instead of #13 that we'd rather go the 533 miles to Grand Rapids, Michigan instead of 380 miles to the far more Cornell-northeast-alumni-and-student-base-friendly Manchester, NH?!? Even with Manchester as a de facto home game for UNH?
Not to mention following up that game with the possibility of playing the Wolverines in Michigan in the regional championship. No thank you!

Besides, we gotta beat UHN in the NCAAs one of these years...cry
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2009 04:32PM by Robb.

Date: January 13, 2009 04:35PM

Robb
Beeeej
Not to mention following up that game with the possibility of playing the Wolverines in Michigan in the regional championship. No thank you!

Besides, we gotta beat UHN in the NCAAs one of these years...cry
I think Jayson applied reasonable rationale (Cornell is a higher #1 seed than Northeastern so let's try to put them where they'd prefer to be) but then came to an incorrect conclusion on its basis (they'd rather travel a longer distance to play a non-host team in the first round and potentially a host team in the second round than travel a shorter distance to play a host team in the first round).

I.e., he wasn't trying to screw us, he just made a glaring error.

Date: January 13, 2009 04:44PM

Technically, Western Michigan is the host team in Grand Rapids. Practically, that's irrelevant - Jason is definitely wrong about what I'd rather see.

Edit: and there's nothing in the seeding procedure that says the committee should try to elucidate what the host teams would "prefer." It says to put them closest to home, in order from 1-4. I'm not sure why he somehow feels that the inevitability of an intra-conference matchup in the first round gives him license to violate that part of the procedure.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2009 04:48PM by Robb.

Date: January 13, 2009 04:59PM

The real shame here is that there's no "immunity," so to speak, from getting shipped far away from home one year when it also happened the previous year (or at least the last couple of times a team made the tourney, if it's somewhat recent). They do really have to base their decisions entirely on the current season - but it's remarkable how often that seems to screw Cornell.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: January 13, 2009 05:06PM

If the arena qualifies, Cornell should work with the Syracuse War Memorial to bid for a regional.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: January 13, 2009 05:08PM

Beeeej
They do really have to base their decisions entirely on the current season - but it's remarkable how often that seems to screw Cornell.
Host Albany. It's the only way to be sure.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: January 13, 2009 05:12PM

ugarte
If the arena qualifies, Cornell should work with the Syracuse War Memorial to bid for a regional.

Trotsky
Host Albany.Nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

FYP

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: January 13, 2009 05:15PM

Beeeej
They do really have to base their decisions entirely on the current season - but it's remarkable how often that seems to screw Cornell.
Bahloney. The committee can pretty much do whatever the heck it wants as long as they can plausibly fit it within the few rules they have to work with. it's not like there's an appeals process.

I think Jayson has just internalized the extra committee rule - "always find a way to screw Cornell somehow" - and adjusts his bracketology accordingly. :-D

Posted by: Rita (---.itap.purdue.edu)
Date: January 13, 2009 06:11PM

nyc94
KeithK

Grand Rapids, MI isn't that far from the hockey hell hole known as IN. I'm probably the only on ELF that would be okay with Cornell ending up in that regional. ;-)

But it is still early yet and many games to be played on the ice. As mentioned above by KeithK and others, the committee will find a way to send Cornell to the Twin Cities cry.

Posted by: kfish (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2009 07:38PM

I'm in the same hockey Hell hole (lovely Lafayette), so for selfish reasons I wouldn't mind seeing them in Grand Rapids (and I know of a few Big Red fans in Wisconsin who wouldn't mind either). ;-)

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 13, 2009 08:09PM

I'm just glad we are even having a discussion about Bracketology this year. Let's hope we remain part of the controversy!

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2009 08:29PM

scoop85
I'm just glad we are even having a discussion about Bracketology this year. Let's hope we remain part of the controversy!
I'm jes' hopin' we win Friday night.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 13, 2009 08:35PM

Trotsky
Beeeej
Host Albany. It's the only way to be sure.
Or Rochester - there's no rule that says the local team has to host in a given city.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 13, 2009 08:39PM

Robb
Technically, Western Michigan is the host team in Grand Rapids. Practically, that's irrelevant - Jason is definitely wrong about what I'd rather see.

Edit: and there's nothing in the seeding procedure that says the committee should try to elucidate what the host teams would "prefer." It says to put them closest to home, in order from 1-4. I'm not sure why he somehow feels that the inevitability of an intra-conference matchup in the first round gives him license to violate that part of the procedure.
True on both counts, I'm just pointing out that Jayson didn't seem to have been TRYING to come up with brackets that would screw Cornell.

Posted by: RichH (---.client.stsn.net)
Date: January 14, 2009 11:24PM

ftyuv
jnachod

I tried chanting that to the rink staffers (both female) who come out with actual drills to drill the post holes after Dave is done resurfacing. Nobody joined and I looked the fool.

Posted by: KenP (---.nws.noaa.gov)
Date: January 15, 2009 07:47AM

Does Lynah have enough seats now to host a regional?

Date: January 15, 2009 08:17AM

KenP
Does Lynah have enough seats now to host a regional?

I think it's technically yes, realistically not a chance.

Posted by: redliner (---.midrivers.com)
Date: January 17, 2009 12:14PM

sah67

According to this Ithaca Journal article [www.theithacajournal.com]

RPI's Coach Seth Appert was responsible for one of our first place votes.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 17, 2009 08:40PM

redliner
sah67

According to this Ithaca Journal article [www.theithacajournal.com]

RPI's Coach Seth Appert was responsible for one of our first place votes.

He admitted it on the RPI pregame on TW.doh

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login