Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Alumni in the Pros, January 2009

Posted by Beeeej 
Alumni in the Pros, January 2009
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: January 04, 2009 08:01PM

Mike Iggulden scored a game-winning power play goal with less than a minute to go in overtime, Friday night in Bridgeport's 2-1 win over the Philly Phantoms.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Re: Alumni in the Pros, January 2009
Posted by: nr53 (---.cisco.com)
Date: January 06, 2009 06:12PM

Even though the December 2008 thread is getting more posts, glad I saw this before creating my own...

Iggulden has been selected for the AHL All-star game again this year. He seems to be doing pretty well for himself these past few years.

[theahl.com]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 06, 2009 07:06PM

nr53
Even though the December 2008 thread is getting more posts, glad I saw this before creating my own...

Iggulden has been selected for the AHL All-star game again this year. He seems to be doing pretty well for himself these past few years.
Iggy might be the All-time Most Improved Player to come out of Cornell, measuring from freshman year to career apex. He's gone from a nondescript underclassman to a solid role player to a successful professional. I'd love to see him get regular TOI in the NHL someday to cap it off. Serious heart.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2009 07:07PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 06, 2009 07:33PM

Iggulden was hurt a bunch as an underclassman, which slowed his development a bit at Cornell, and then was locked into a defensive role in Schafer's system (paraphrasing Iggy's words from a couple years ago). I seem to think he came in with a little more promise/potential than he showed as a freshman/sophomore. Unfortunately we weren't talking on this board about the potential of recruits back in 2001. (Actually we weren't talking about anything on this board in '01 and I can't recall how much recruit discussion we might have had back on the CHDF.)

Posted by: cbuckser (---.ospd.ca.gov)
Date: January 06, 2009 07:36PM

KeithK
Iggulden was hurt a bunch as an underclassman, which slowed his development a bit at Cornell, and then was locked into a defensive role in Schafer's system (paraphrasing Iggy's words from a couple years ago). I seem to think he came in with a little more promise/potential than he showed as a freshman/sophomore. Unfortunately we weren't talking on this board about the potential of recruits back in 2001. (Actually we weren't talking about anything on this board in '01 and I can't recall how much recruit discussion we might have had back on the CHDF.)
When we recruited Iggulden out of Ridley College, few people had ever heard of him. But, Mike Schafer thought that he had found a diamond in the rough and predicted that he would be a special player.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 06, 2009 11:41PM

KeithK

I even remember a thread a friend of mine started complaining how he was useless and did nothing on the ice but skate in circles and fall down. :-P

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 07, 2009 01:14AM

Trotsky
Iggy might be the All-time Most Improved Player to come out of Cornell, measuring from freshman year to career apex.

Well, I know that someone who might run a certain hockey forum you may have heard of will tell you "told you so" about him based on his opinion during Iggy's freshman year, but given the way you defined your metric there, that's a fair statement. When I think "Most Improved" over the course of his Cornell career, I always think of Sam Paolini, who went from a role that was essentially being a walk-on from the Rochester area his freshman year to becoming a prototype cog in the PP machine of the early '00s to scoring an ECAC championship-clinching goal his senior year.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: January 07, 2009 11:21AM

French Rage
KeithK

I even remember a thread a friend of mine started complaining how he was useless and did nothing on the ice but skate in circles and fall down. :-P
Wasn't that you?

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 07, 2009 11:33AM

Josh '99
French Rage
KeithK

Wasn't that you?

No, it was the Indianan.

Date: January 07, 2009 11:44AM

French Rage
Josh '99
French Rage
KeithK

Wasn't that you?
No, it was the Indianan.
Oh right, speaking of useless.

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: January 07, 2009 12:19PM

French Rage
Josh '99
French Rage
KeithK

Wasn't that you?

No, it was the Indianan.

Indianan???

I've been here almost 5 years, and haven't heard "Indianan" used very often. Most people say "Hoosiers" (or Boilermakers if they bleed black and gold rather than cream and crimson ;-)).

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: January 07, 2009 12:41PM

RichH
Trotsky
Iggy might be the All-time Most Improved Player to come out of Cornell, measuring from freshman year to career apex.

Well, I know that someone who might run a certain hockey forum you may have heard of will tell you "told you so" about him based on his opinion during Iggy's freshman year, but given the way you defined your metric there, that's a fair statement. When I think "Most Improved" over the course of his Cornell career, I always think of Sam Paolini, who went from a role that was essentially being a walk-on from the Rochester area his freshman year to becoming a prototype cog in the PP machine of the early '00s to scoring an ECAC championship-clinching goal his senior year.
Don't think it's not killing me to keep my mouth shut, but by this point even I'm tired of saying it. While I'll agree that Sam is worthy of the title, the stories of him being an unrecruited walk-on are greatly exaggerated.

Posted by: RichH (155.104.37.---)
Date: January 07, 2009 12:59PM

Rita
Indianan???

I've been here almost 5 years, and haven't heard "Indianan" used very often. Most people say "Hoosiers" (or Boilermakers if they bleed black and gold rather than cream and crimson ;-)).

I've been in CT for 3 years now, and I'm still trying to get a better answer to what a Connecticut native is called. I mostly get "Nutmegger" for an answer. Not Connecticutter or Connecticutian, either of which is fun to say. Now if you'll excuse me, I've gotta go find some nuts to meg.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: January 07, 2009 01:06PM

RichH
Rita
Indianan???

I've been in CT for 3 years now, and I'm still trying to get a better answer to what a Connecticut native is called. I mostly get "Nutmegger" for an answer. Not Connecticutter or Connecticutian, either of which is fun to say. Now if you'll excuse me, I've gotta go find some nuts to meg.
"Honky"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2009 01:07PM by ugarte.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: January 07, 2009 02:25PM

RichH
I've been in CT for 3 years now, and I'm still trying to get a better answer to what a Connecticut native is called.
Ahem.

Date: January 07, 2009 02:51PM

ugarte
RichH
Rita
Indianan???

"Honky"
DEAD honky. :-(

Posted by: RichH (155.104.37.---)
Date: January 07, 2009 03:32PM

Trotsky
RichH
I've been in CT for 3 years now, and I'm still trying to get a better answer to what a Connecticut native is called.
Ahem.

That's a good answer, but this is a more modern portrait.

Topher Scott to the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
Date: January 07, 2009 04:41PM

The Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees of the Central Hockey League announced a four-for-one trade that sends center Travis Banga to the Texas Brahmas in exchange for former Cornell forward Topher Scott, center Matt Byrnes and a pair of future considerations.

[ecachockey.com]

Posted by: pfibiger (---.sip.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 07, 2009 04:50PM

nr53

[theahl.com]

Ryan Vesce was also selected for the AHL All-Star game. He's #1 in scoring on the Sharks AHL affiliate and #15 in the league:

[www.ecachockey.com]

Re: Topher Scott to the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
Date: January 07, 2009 05:12PM

CowbellGuy

The Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees of the Central Hockey League announced a four-for-one trade that sends center Travis Banga to the Texas Brahmas in exchange for former Cornell forward Topher Scott, center Matt Byrnes and a pair of future considerations.

[ecachockey.com]
FWIW, Banga spent his freshman year and the very beginning of his second at UNH before transferring to New England College for the remainder of his sophomore (you don't have to sit out if you transfer to a DIII school), junior and senior years.

The CHL is chock-full of former NCAA hockey players; Topher's new teammates include players from Princeton (Grant Goeckner-Zoeller), Western Michigan (Nathan Ansell, Daryl Moore, Brian Bicek), Alaska-Fairbanks (Wylie Rogers, Aaron Lee), Michigan State (Zak McClellan), Minnesota-Duluth (Jay Hardwick), Notre Dame (Evan Rankin), Robert Morris (Christian Boucher), Merrimack (Matt Byrnes), RIT (Stephen Burns), and Elmira College (Nicolas Dumoulin, who was briefly Topher's teammate with the Elmira Jackals last spring after they finished their respective college careers).

Also, "Killer Bees" is a great name for a team.

Date: January 07, 2009 05:18PM

RichH
Trotsky

You may be right that Paolini was the "Most Improved" over the course of his Cornell career (recruited or not). But Greg said freshman year to career apex and Iggulden certainly has had a higher career apex than Paolini.

Date: January 07, 2009 05:30PM

KeithK
RichH
Trotsky

You may be right that Paolini was the "Most Improved" over the course of his Cornell career (recruited or not). But Greg said freshman year to career apex and Iggulden certainly has had a higher career apex than Paolini.

Aw, man, the Atlantic City Boardwalk Bullies get no respect.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Re: Topher Scott to the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: January 07, 2009 06:05PM

CowbellGuy

[ecachockey.com]

Gee, I wish I still lived in Brownsville. Oh, wait, no I don't. doh

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: January 07, 2009 06:18PM

Beeeej
Aw, man, the Atlantic City Boardwalk Bullies get no respect.
Very little. Which is why they're now the Stockton Thunder.

Date: January 07, 2009 07:15PM

KeithK

Right. Which is why I agreed with his conclusion given his metric. When I redefined the metric to something that people might also like to discuss, I made another comment.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 07, 2009 08:49PM

RichH
KeithK

Right. Which is why I agreed with his conclusion given his metric. When I redefined the metric to something that people might also like to discuss, I made another comment.

touchestarwars

Date: January 08, 2009 03:07PM

Don't look now but Romano is scoring above a point per game this year with his new team... ::sigh:: what could have been :-/

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: January 08, 2009 04:05PM

nr53
Don't look now but Romano is scoring above a point per game this year with his new team... ::sigh:: what could have been :-/
Nah, he just would have been suffocated in the Cornell defensive system. ;-)

Posted by: Ronald '09 (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2009 04:37PM

nr53

Well...at least as a Devils fan, I can look forward to the day when he is playing on the wing with Parise and Zajac and putting up similar numbers.

Even with the Devils now playing more wide open and in the top third of the league in scoring, while the Rangers play a trapping style and not well, he'll have to play well defensively to play for Lou and Sutter. But Lou wouldn't have drafted him if he didn't think he had that potential.

Date: January 08, 2009 05:09PM

He's also by far the oldest player on the team. Maybe when he's 30 he can return to Cornell and contribute something... like some nonexistent monetary donation from the nonexistent NHL contract he'll sign with the Devils when they get a load of his nonexistent mad skills.

Posted by: sah67 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2009 10:24PM

Douglas Murray finally nets his first point of the season: an assist on a Brad Staubitz goal in San Jose's game against Edmonton which is still in progress.

Bitz playing for Boston right now!
Date: January 10, 2009 01:11PM

I didn't even hear about this call-up (likely because it happened early this morning due to the 1PM game time) but I turned on the Bruins vs. Hurricanes game on NESN to hear Jack Edwards mentioning that Byron Bitz had been called up and is on the bench for this game, live right now on NESN.

Bitz is wearing an interesting #61, and playing on the 4th line with Shawn Thornton and Petteri Nokelainen for the time being. He just had a very good shift.

Edit: They just showed Bitz's parents on tv, and they apparently flew in from Sasaktoon last night, so the call-up obviously happened yesterday.
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2009 01:31PM by sah67.

Re: Bitz playing for Boston right now!
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2009 01:39PM

sah67
I didn't even hear about this call-up (likely because it happened early this morning due to the 1PM game time) but I turned on the Bruins vs. Hurricanes game on NESN to hear Jack Edwards mentioning that Byron Bitz had been called up and is on the bench for this game, live right now on NESN.

Bitz is wearing an interesting #61, and playing on the 4th line with Shawn Thornton and Petteri Nokelainen for the time being. He just had a very good shift.

Edit: They just showed Bitz's parents on tv, and they apparently flew in from Sasaktoon last night, so the call-up obviously happened yesterday.

He just got the crowd going with a big hit. He then promptly lost the handle on a wrap around chance.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2009 01:41PM by Chris '03.

Date: January 10, 2009 01:50PM

Byron's getting interviewed during the 1st intermission now.

Date: January 10, 2009 02:07PM

sah67

And gets an assist in the second!

Date: January 10, 2009 02:09PM

Chris '03
sah67

And gets an assist in the second!

It did deflect off a Carolina skate before coming to Stuart for the goal, but they give Bitz an assist anyway. First NHL point in his first NHL game - way to go Byron!

Date: January 10, 2009 02:40PM

Several props for Byron from the broadcast team during the 2nd intermission.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 10, 2009 03:08PM

He just made a great pass on a 2 on 1 and Nokalinen shot it over the net.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: January 10, 2009 03:53PM

Thornton gave him props in the postgame too, saying he did an "unbelievable" job coming up and playing so well on short notice.

He really did play a solid game. He had a few big hits, an assit, but ended up even thanks to a deflection that went in to the back of the net in slo-mo. And I had almost forgot how well he skated for a big guy.

As well as the Bruins are playing, injuries have them a little thin at forward, and I don't think he hurt his chances of getting another call up today.

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 11, 2009 08:04AM

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2009 08:20AM

He's just a "grinder.";-) Keeps this up and he'll make it to "roll" player.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: January 11, 2009 04:57PM

Al DeFlorio

If they trade him to Philly will he become a puck hoagie? dribble

And his linemate in Providence is Wacey Rabbit? Shouldn't that be Wacey Wabbit? whistle

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 11, 2009 08:08PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
And his linemate in Providence is Wacey Rabbit? Shouldn't that be Wacey Wabbit? whistle

I read the article, saw the name, knew there must be a joke in there somewhere, but didn't come up with it. You nailed it.

Date: January 11, 2009 09:42PM

andyw2100
Jeff Hopkins '82

I read the article, saw the name, knew there must be a joke in there somewhere, but didn't come up with it. You nailed it.

I was working on something involving "Puck Season" vs. "Rabbit Season," but never quite got there.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: fullofgas (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 12, 2009 08:47AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Al DeFlorio

I think you meant Wascally Wabbit.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.techtarget.com)
Date: January 12, 2009 09:08AM

fullofgas
Jeff Hopkins '82
Al DeFlorio

I think you meant Wascally Wabbit.
Would that make his wife/girlfriend a puck bunny?

Date: January 12, 2009 10:30AM

A friend of mine with a hockey blog is a Bruins fan. He was excited about Bitz's first game.

Date: January 13, 2009 10:03AM

Bruins' forward Phil Kessel (who helped the Gophers beat us a few years back) is out with mono. I wonder if that means Bitz will be getting more playing time? Lots of injuries on the team right now.

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: January 13, 2009 10:21AM

ftyuv
Bruins' forward Phil Kessel (who helped the Gophers beat us a few years back) ....
Kessel wasn't on that Minnesota team. His only year was '05-'06, the season after we played them.

Posted by: dragonfan (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 13, 2009 10:24AM

Phill Kessel was not on that team at that time,would be nice for Bitz if he got more time to prove himself.

Date: January 13, 2009 01:22PM

Hm, mea cupla. I could have sworn he was, but I guess that just goes to show why swearing is bad, mmkay?

I have to admit, it's a bit bittersweet for me. On the one hand, I'd love it if Bitz turns magical, but on the other hand, I hope all these injuries don't hold back the team.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: January 13, 2009 04:01PM

jkahn
ftyuv
Bruins' forward Phil Kessel (who helped the Gophers beat us a few years back) ....
Kessel wasn't on that Minnesota team. His only year was '05-'06, the season after we played them.

He was on the awesome squad that lost to Holy Cross. :-D

Posted by: sah67 (38.97.115.---)
Date: January 13, 2009 04:01PM

Byron Bitz was never sent back down to Providence and is on the game roster for Boston's game tonight against Montreal. Ryan O'Byrne is still with Hamilton and will not be on Montreal's roster for the game.

Date: January 13, 2009 04:38PM

French Rage
jkahn
ftyuv

He was on the awesome squad that lost to Holy Cross. :-D
With chokers like him and Tim Thomas on the team, I don't expect the Bruins to ever win anything.

Date: January 13, 2009 09:36PM

Bitzy had nearly ten minutes of ice time tonight - no goals, assists, or penalties, +/- of 0. Did a workmanlike job on the ice, but nothing spectacular.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2009 10:57PM

Douglas Murray on a scoring tear. He just picked up his second assist in the past week and of 2009. :-)

(Yeah, I know, and season, but 2009 sounds much better considering the date and that it took Murray ~ 41 games to get his first point!!).

Murray looked like he was making a run for the Gordie Howe Hattrick, but only got 2 minutes for "roughing" with Jeff "I'm a scholar not a fighter" Halpern.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2009 11:01PM by Rita.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 14, 2009 01:29AM

Iggulden still hasn't been called up by the Icelanders for some inexplicable reason, but yanndanisforhobey.com played most of their game against the Rangers tonight after Joey McDonald left with a leg injury and, I'm happy to report, was on the short end of a 2-1 score.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.itt.com)
Date: January 14, 2009 09:01AM

Not Cornell, but Yann Danis got a start for the Isles last night when their second string goalie also went down.

Date: January 14, 2009 10:55AM

DeltaOne81
Not Cornell, but Yann Danis got a start for the Isles last night when their second string goalie also went down.

You don't say.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: January 14, 2009 01:11PM

Beeeej
DeltaOne81

You don't say.

I gave deltaone81 a break.. I just figured he had a tough morning drive cuss joisey's many highways and hadn't had his coffee yet.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 14, 2009 09:16PM

Heh. By 9 I'd had my coffee ;). I saw Josh's post started with Iggulden, so I probably figured no one had posted about Danis yet. Sue me (not you, Beeeej).

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 16, 2009 06:48PM

The Abbotts collectively recieved the first star in Rögle's recent win over Frölunda

Cam had two goals and an assist, Chris had a goal and an assist.

Video highlights at Rögle TV

Theeeeee second Rögle goal was scored by number 24, Cam Abbott (ABBOTT!!), assisted by number 29, Chris Abbott (ABBOTT!!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2009 06:54PM by imafrshmn.

Date: January 17, 2009 12:26AM

imafrshmn
The Abbotts collectively recieved the first star in Rögle's recent win over Frölunda

Cam had two goals and an assist, Chris had a goal and an assist.

Video highlights at Rögle TV

Theeeeee second Rögle goal was scored by number 24, Cam Abbott (ABBOTT!!), assisted by number 29, Chris Abbott (ABBOTT!!)
Basically what the announcer says is "[lots of Swedish words I don't understand] Cam Abbott [lots of Swedish words I don't understand] Cam Abbott [lots of Swedish words I don't understand] Chris Abbott [lots of Swedish words I don't understand] Cam Abbott [lots of Swedish words I don't understand]."

Posted by: Cactus12 (---.med.nyu.edu)
Date: January 17, 2009 12:38AM

I like how he pronounces "Powerplay"...

Also, it's sad that the SEL has better quality highlight videos than the NHL.

Posted by: HockeyMan (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 17, 2009 11:04PM

Two assists already for Murray in tonight's Sharks game--and they're only ten minutes in!

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: January 17, 2009 11:05PM

After ten minutes of the first period, Doug Murray has assists on both Sharks goals. Five points in five games - Murray is on fire! :-)

Date: January 18, 2009 01:27PM

For lack of a better place to put this:

Discussing Ryan Whitney during this afternoon's Rangers-Pens game, the NBC broadcasters pointed out, "His brother goes to Cornell University." Hooray for free publicity!

Posted by: Cactus12 (---.med.nyu.edu)
Date: January 18, 2009 06:04PM

Yeh. I heard it also... too bad it was following a minute long discussion of BU's "trademark white gloves"

Posted by: dargason (---.harvard.edu)
Date: January 19, 2009 04:26PM

Byron Bitz didn't return after going down early in the 2nd period of the B's loss to St. Louis today. No details yet.

boston.com game blog

Date: January 19, 2009 04:30PM

dargason
Byron Bitz didn't return after going down early in the 2nd period of the B's loss to St. Louis today. No details yet.

boston.com game blog

Yes he did. He took his regular shifts in the third.

Posted by: cth95 (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2009 04:36PM

Bitz was interviewed in the NESN post game show. He had a big cut on his lip, and they joked about him not getting the memo to go to make up before the interview after taking a high stick during the game.

Unfortunately, no Cornell mentions. The questions were aimed at his transition from Providence to Boston and how the veterans had helped him as well as about the current state of the Bruins.

Under Bitz's name, there was a stat showing a little over 11 min with 3 hits. Even our forwards main stats are hits.

Posted by: dargason (---.harvard.edu)
Date: January 19, 2009 04:52PM

oceanst41

My bad, I wasn't watching...just read the game blog afterwards. Glad he's ok.

Date: January 19, 2009 05:23PM

dargason
oceanst41

My bad, I wasn't watching...just read the game blog afterwards. Glad he's ok.

I wish I hadn't watched. I don't buy the call that essentially ended the game, there was contact with the puck above the crossbar and it should've been a no goal.

I'm going to relax with a beer now, and take some aspirin for the headache that ending caused me. ;-)

Date: January 19, 2009 05:42PM

Unfortunately the Sharks called up 43 year old Claude Lemieux who hasn't played in the NHL in 5 years over Vesce who was leading their AHL team in scoring. Guess they were looking for more grit than skill.

Posted by: Ronald '09 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2009 09:41PM

Whoever is doing play-by-play for TSN (on NHL Network in the states) keeps talking about number 61, Byron Ritz.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2009 09:46PM

The announcers on Vs. keep calling Bitz "Ritz."

Date: January 22, 2009 01:32PM

I'd say Bitz had his best game since his debut last night vs. the Leafs. He was strong on the boards, had a nice cycling shift that that led to a long possession and a goal for the next line, and nearly scored his first NHL goal (Toskela robbed him with a two pad stack). He played 11:46 too, which is his highest game total. Julien is big on rewarding good play with ice time, and his last three games have each increased in time on ice.

Posted by: Ronald '09 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2009 01:26PM

Habs recall O'Byrne.

[canadiens.nhl.com]

AHL ASG Skills Competition
Date: January 26, 2009 03:02PM

Ryan Vesce had a good showing on his home ice in Worcester in last night's AHL All-Star Game Skills Competition; Mike Iggulden not so much. Vesce won his heat against Worcester teammate Derek Joslin in the Puck Control Relay, hit four targets in five tries in the Accuracy Shooting competition, and scored against Mike Brodeur in the Breakaway Relay. Iggulden was denied by Minnesota alum Jeff Frazee in the Pass and Score competition and again by Daniel Larsson in the Breakaway Relay. (Corporate sponsors in event names intentionally omitted.) Vesce's PlanetUSA team beat Iggulden's Canada 18-12 in the Skills Competition; the All-Star Game itself will be played tonight.

Re: AHL ASG Skills Competition
Date: January 26, 2009 03:06PM

Josh '99
Ryan Vesce had a good showing on his home ice in Worcester in last night's AHL All-Star Game Skills Competition; Mike Iggulden not so much. Vesce won his heat against Worcester teammate Derek Joslin in the Puck Control Relay, hit four targets in five tries in the Accuracy Shooting competition, and scored against Mike Brodeur in the Breakaway Relay. Iggulden was denied by Minnesota alum Jeff Frazee in the Pass and Score competition and again by Daniel Larsson in the Breakaway Relay. (Corporate sponsors in event names intentionally omitted.) Vesce's PlanetUSA team beat Iggulden's Canada 18-12 in the Skills Competition; the All-Star Game itself will be played tonight.

Remind me again why the AHL and NHL all star festivities compete with each other.

Re: AHL ASG Skills Competition
Date: January 26, 2009 03:44PM

Chris '03
Remind me again why the AHL and NHL all star festivities compete with each other.
Because both leagues are run by idiots.

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2009 11:00PM

Bitz has some stones.

Threw down the gloves and squared off with Donald *stick to the head* Brashear in the B's OT win over Washington tonight.

He looked good for the first minute of the fight while they wwere just eyin geach other with knuckles up and air- sparring. Once the jerseys got ggrabbed Brashear's experoence showed clearly...before he eventualy flattened Bitz with a left.

At least Bitz got in 2 to the back of the head if I remember right. Definitely fired up the squad at a late point in what was then a 2-2 tie.

p.s. Saw him take a 20 second shift - never seen one that short before.

Posted by: cbuckser (76.197.12.---)
Date: January 28, 2009 12:34AM

Douglas Murray fought Chris Stewart to the 2nd period tonight. He won a very lopsided scrap.

AHL All-Star Game
Date: January 28, 2009 08:55AM

Vesce had a goal and an assist and was -1; Iggulden didn't put up any points (2 shots on goal anyway) and was -4. Vesce's PlanetUSA team was victorious, thanks largely to the all-NCAA-alumni line of Jared Ross (UAH), Jeff Taffe and Ryan Potulny (both Minnesota). Ross set AHL ASG records with six assists and seven points, Potulny had six points, and Taffe had a hat trick and two assists.

Date: January 28, 2009 10:17AM

abmarks
Bitz has some stones.

Threw down the gloves and squared off with Donald *stick to the head* Brashear in the B's OT win over Washington tonight.

He looked good for the first minute of the fight while they wwere just eyin geach other with knuckles up and air- sparring. Once the jerseys got ggrabbed Brashear's experoence showed clearly...before he eventualy flattened Bitz with a left.

At least Bitz got in 2 to the back of the head if I remember right. Definitely fired up the squad at a late point in what was then a 2-2 tie.

Postgame interview with Bitz: [link.brightcove.com]

And Thorton's thoughts on Bitz: [link.brightcove.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2009 10:19AM by ftyuv.

Date: January 28, 2009 03:36PM

ftyuv
abmarks
Bitz has some stones.

More reactions: [www.boston.com]

Date: January 28, 2009 04:48PM

ugarte
ftyuv
abmarks
Bitz has some stones.

More reactions: [www.boston.com]

And now video:

Posted by: cbuckser (---.ospd.ca.gov)
Date: January 28, 2009 04:58PM

As long as we're posting fight videos,

here is the Murray-Stewart scrap.

Date: January 28, 2009 05:19PM

cbuckser

I really don't watch much NHL hockey. What's the etiquette on helmet removal before fighting? In the Murray fight, Murray had taken his helmet off, but Stewart didn't. It would seem this would give Stewart quite the edge in the fight, while at the same time saying, "I'm afraid of you." So...what's the deal?

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: January 28, 2009 05:29PM

andyw2100
cbuckser

I really don't watch much NHL hockey. What's the etiquette on helmet removal before fighting? In the Murray fight, Murray had taken his helmet off, but Stewart didn't. It would seem this would give Stewart quite the edge in the fight, while at the same time saying, "I'm afraid of you." So...what's the deal?

The deal is that Murray wears a visor and so is obligated to take his helmet off. Stewart does not wear a visor and is under no such obligation. I think that this situation is pretty standard and it is not necessary for one to take off a helmet just because the other does.

Date: January 28, 2009 05:30PM

Thanks for the explanation.

Date: January 28, 2009 05:35PM

Roy 82
I think that this situation is pretty standard and it is not necessary for one to take off a helmet just because the other does.

I would argue that because Douglas took his helmet off it would be common courtesy for his opponent to also do the same. With the discussions going on around the league, fights may soon be ended when a helmet is lost. I don't know what would happen to the visor fighting issue then, but obviously something would have to change.

Date: January 28, 2009 06:01PM

I may get attacked for being a wuss for this, but to me, the whole thing of the "etiquette" of fighting is a big part of the reason why I don't like fighting in pro hockey. I like that it's a high-octane sport, so when players get into actual "you're going down, asshole!" fights, I'm fine with it. But those kinds of fights don't have rules of etiquette, because the whole point of them is to express your anger in as primal a way as possible: beat the crap out of the guy you're angry at. The etiquette-filled fights -- the ones that start off with 10 seconds of calculated skating-around-and-sizing-up crap, are just cheap sideshows to hockey.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you want to fight a guy cause you're actually pissed off at him, then screw the etiquette -- just lunge after him with all you got and don't stop until they pry you off him. If, on the other hand, you're calm enough to skate around him for 10 seconds in preparation, then just suck it up and keep playing. Give him an extra hard hit next time around if you're still sore about it.

Posted by: Flyers1037 (155.104.37.---)
Date: January 28, 2009 06:45PM

Roy 82
andyw2100
cbuckser

The deal is that Murray wears a visor and so is obligated to take his helmet off. Stewart does not wear a visor and is under no such obligation. I think that this situation is pretty standard and it is not necessary for one to take off a helmet just because the other does.

There is nothing official about having to take off helmets (with or without visors). Few people that fight in the NHL actually wear a visor, so it's rarely an issue. It's just one of those common courtesies, like not punching the guy when you take him down to the ice.

Date: January 28, 2009 06:47PM

Flyers1037
Roy 82
andyw2100
cbuckser

There is nothing official about having to take off helmets (with or without visors). Few people that fight in the NHL actually wear a visor, so it's rarely an issue. It's just one of those common courtesies, like not punching the guy when you take him down to the ice.

There is actually a rule where you are punished further for "instigating" while wearing a visor, but this doesn't apply to mutually agreed to fights.

Posted by: KenP (---.nws.noaa.gov)
Date: January 29, 2009 07:33AM

ftyuv
I may get attacked for being a wuss for this, but to me, the whole thing of the "etiquette" of fighting is a big part of the reason why I don't like fighting in pro hockey. I like that it's a high-octane sport, so when players get into actual "you're going down, asshole!" fights, I'm fine with it. But those kinds of fights don't have rules of etiquette, because the whole point of them is to express your anger in as primal a way as possible: beat the crap out of the guy you're angry at. The etiquette-filled fights -- the ones that start off with 10 seconds of calculated skating-around-and-sizing-up crap, are just cheap sideshows to hockey.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you want to fight a guy cause you're actually pissed off at him, then screw the etiquette -- just lunge after him with all you got and don't stop until they pry you off him. If, on the other hand, you're calm enough to skate around him for 10 seconds in preparation, then just suck it up and keep playing. Give him an extra hard hit next time around if you're still sore about it.
You're a wuss. twak That being said, I agree.

Posted by: tretiak (---.state.gov)
Date: January 29, 2009 11:59AM

steve moore and steve kampfer would like to disagree...while the song and dance in the nhl can be annoying, there needs to be some set of gentlemanly rules to police the most dangerous and cowardly acts in fighting

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: January 29, 2009 12:39PM

tretiak
steve moore and steve kampfer would like to disagree...while the song and dance in the nhl can be annoying, there needs to be some set of gentlemanly rules to police the most dangerous and cowardly acts in fighting
You could just as easily have the league police things by issuing fines and suspensions for dangerous and cowardly acts.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: January 29, 2009 12:41PM

Let's face it, taking off the helmet is an advantage to Murray, he looks scarier without it.

Date: January 29, 2009 03:42PM

French Rage
Let's face it, taking off the helmet is an advantage to Murray, he looks scarier without it.
He's 6'3" 245 either way; I don't think the helmet hair adds much to his intimidation factor.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login