Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell Hockey To Hold Jersey Auction

Posted by amerks127 
Cornell Hockey To Hold Jersey Auction
Posted by: amerks127 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: December 24, 2008 04:30AM

I saw this on the Athletics website.

[cornellbigred.com]

I like the #35 Legendary Player, despite the fact that the explanation is given.

Re: Cornell Hockey To Hold Jersey Auction
Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: December 24, 2008 09:21AM

How often has this been done at Cornell?

I like similar RIP auction which is a current player black jersey bidding on "Black Friday", but it is done every year. It has lost some interest and I believe the dollar amounts have lessened over time.

Posted by: sah67 (66.206.210.---)
Date: December 24, 2008 11:13AM

Very cool. I only hope that someone fills in the Niagara broadcast team beforehand so they're not referring to Matt Moulson on defense, and a starting line of Giuliani, Lodboa, and Hughes ;)

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: December 24, 2008 12:25PM

Cool idea. Using Nike swifr jerseys kind of ruins it for me though. Those things are ugly, even in red and white.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: December 24, 2008 12:43PM

KeithK
Cool idea. Using Nike swifr jerseys kind of ruins it for me though. Those things are ugly, even in red and white.
I'm choosing to believe that the team knows that they're ugly jerseys and thinks this is the best way to get rid of them. upto

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: December 24, 2008 01:23PM

Maybe these are the test jerseys they had sitting around from that Florida trip a few years back. It is, however, a chance to get a jersey with "Cornell" on the front and back.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 24, 2008 02:38PM

CowbellGuy
Maybe these are the test jerseys they had sitting around from that Florida trip a few years back.

Sounds like it:

The jerseys, which are the Nike Swift Jerseys that the Big Red debuted during the Florida College Classic in 2006-07, will then be auctioned off.

Those things were hideous.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: December 24, 2008 08:41PM

ebilmes
CowbellGuy
Maybe these are the test jerseys they had sitting around from that Florida trip a few years back.

Sounds like it:

The jerseys, which are the Nike Swift Jerseys that the Big Red debuted during the Florida College Classic in 2006-07, will then be auctioned off.

Those things were hideous.

Yes, but not as ugly as the last set of charity auction jerseys.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: pman78 (72.136.176.---)
Date: December 30, 2008 11:19PM

Hi All-
Pete Shier '78 here. I'm bringing the team I coach in toronto (north york knights - 15 year olds) down to Ithaca to see the 2 Niagara games Jan 9/10th. I notice that my name & number (#5) is being honoured which I'm both humbled and excited by.
Can someone explain to me how I (or some of the other parents on my team) might go about 'buying' one of the jersey's after the game?
Many thanks and looking forward to returning to Ithaca again.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 30, 2008 11:45PM

pman78
Hi All-
Pete Shier '78 here. I'm bringing the team I coach in toronto (north york knights - 15 year olds) down to Ithaca to see the 2 Niagara games Jan 9/10th. I notice that my name & number (#5) is being honoured which I'm both humbled and excited by.
Can someone explain to me how I (or some of the other parents on my team) might go about 'buying' one of the jersey's after the game?

Nice to hear from you, it brings back many memories. We don't know the specifics yet, but the last time they did this it was an auction handled by the hockey office. It went on for a couple of weeks, if I remember correctly. Also if I remember correctly, if you put down an initial bid, then they would keep you informed of any new bids, I think by email, and you had the option to bid up. So that first night all you could do was to bid and get your name in.

Anyone else with better memory?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 31, 2008 12:00AM

From the Cornell Athletics announcement of the jersey auction:

"#16 Jordan Berk, who already wears the same number his father, Doug, wore during his playing days with the Big Red, will wear his father's name on the back of his jersey."

Sadly, he won't.:`-(

Posted by: Larry72 (---.mtnsat.com)
Date: December 31, 2008 06:36AM

Peter:

Contact Sue Detzer at the hockey office. She'll have the details on the auction as they become available and possibly before they are posted online. Lot's of great memories watching you play. Looking forward to seeing you in Ithaca with your team.

Larry '72

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 01, 2009 07:53PM

pman78
Hi All-

Pete, congrats on the honor...Will your boys be playing any local competition while in town?

Posted by: pman78 (72.136.176.---)
Date: January 02, 2009 12:07AM

We tried to organize an exhibition game but couldn't find any teams available to play us. My connections in Ithaca are limited now but if anyone out there has or knows of a good 14/15 year old team that wants a game that weekend, drop me a line! (we're a pretty successful Toronto based AA team - last year we were undefeated in regular season play, won the provincial championships and this year so far are in first place in our league.) Our boys would love to play, even if it was just a 'friendly'. And if we could convince Mike S. to 'donate' an hour of Lynah ice, so much the better!

Date: January 02, 2009 07:01AM

Anyone else think the name on the back of #19 should read "Orr?"

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 04, 2009 12:22PM

Me. I mean I.cuss

Date: January 04, 2009 12:36PM

And while we're at it, How about:

2 O'Byrne Dan Ratushny
16 Berk Mike Doran, PC Drouin, Greg Hornby
23 Jeff Baikie Andy Crowley (Just cuz I played football with him and he was the only American on the Harkness team that year):-D

Posted by: dragonfan (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 04, 2009 01:59PM

Definitely Ratushny,I would also like to see Jones,Dragon,Andison and the other Hughes maybe just cause thats who I grew up watching.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 05, 2009 09:59AM

Al DeFlorio

Yes, and with all due respect to Brock Tredway, this link also calls into question whose name should be on the back of #7. Holding the school records for goals per game, goals per season, and penalty minutes per game, as well as #5 on assists per game and #2 on PPG, as well as a national championship, I just don't think players should be penalized because as freshmen they couldn't play varsity.

Posted by: Trotsky (199.46.170.---)
Date: January 05, 2009 10:43AM

Swampy
Al DeFlorio

Yes, and with all due respect to Brock Tredway, this link also calls into question whose name should be on the back of #7. Holding the school records for goals per game, goals per season, and penalty minutes per game, as well as #5 on assists per game and #2 on PPG, as well as a national championship, I just don't think players should be penalized because as freshmen they couldn't play varsity.
Maybe this link.

Uni numbers through last year.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2009 10:43AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 05, 2009 11:04AM

Trotsky
Swampy
Al DeFlorio

Yes, and with all due respect to Brock Tredway, this link also calls into question whose name should be on the back of #7. Holding the school records for goals per game, goals per season, and penalty minutes per game, as well as #5 on assists per game and #2 on PPG, as well as a national championship. I just don't think players should be penalized because as freshmen they couldn't play varsity.
Maybe this link.

Thanks, Al.

I tried to get direct links to the specific records, but Firefox shows [www.tbrw.info] as the URL for both the Records and the Home pages on TBRW. I didn't think of copying the URL from the links in the pages.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: January 05, 2009 01:33PM

Swampy
I tried to get direct links to the specific records, but Firefox shows [www.tbrw.info] as the URL for both the Records and the Home pages on TBRW. I didn't think of copying the URL from the links in the pages.
The top URL always shows in the Frame page (I know... css is coming eventually, as is xml and xsl, but I have a job), but if you right click a link and open in a new tab/page, then the Browser will show the direct url.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 05, 2009 07:50PM

Trotsky
Swampy
Al DeFlorio

Maybe this link.

There have been a lot of great number 7s at Cornell. As one who saw all of them (at least since 63), there is no one other than Doug Ferguson that I'd rather have wear that number on my team. He was great in all aspects of the game. Obviously, he scored a lot, but also obviously by his assist totals he was no slouch there. He never shied away from the physical aspects, sometimes to a fault. In those years we never concentrated on watching defense like we currently do, but I'm sure his +/- would have been great.

Unfortunately, except for a few, such as my beloved 14 Lodboa, we tend to turn away from the past and feel the more recent are better. Oh well, I'm just glad I was able to see him/them.

Date: January 05, 2009 08:47PM

Trotsky
Swampy
The top URL always shows in the Frame page (I know... css is coming eventually, as is xml and xsl, but I have a job), but if you right click a link and open in a new tab/page, then the Browser will show the direct url.

Well, CSS has been here for a number of years actually. :-P

I get around the frame URL issue with a little CGI script that can be used to link to a frameset.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 06, 2009 08:52PM

Glad I'm not the only one who remembers Dan Ratushny. I feel younger now :-D

This auction seems like it might have had its roots in something Coach Schafer had his players do in his first year as head coach; research and write up a blurb on the best Cornell player ever to wear their number. (I don't know if Coach Schafer had his later teams do this) I mention it in part because I think they should have had Mike Garman take the Eddy Skazyk route. Skazyk, still the best (and only) player to wear #39 for the Big Red, wound up researching #1, as it was not uncommon for pre-1970-or-so teams to have multiple goaltenders wear that number. As I recall, Skazyk picked Darren Eliot, as Ken Dryden was already spoken for.

Anyway, it's good that the current Big Red was able to honor a couple top-notch players who wore #6 (Nethery) and #25 (Nieuwendyk) -- but I note that this year's roster doesn't have an 11 or 26 either (or a 13, but never mind that). For 26, although I really liked Matt Cooney, I guess I'd nominate Topher Scott.

11 is tougher, though. It looks like, in a lot of instances, that number was worn either by someone who wasn't with the team long or who switched numbers later in his career (like Doug Derraugh). Maybe Mitch Carefoot gets the nod by being the only player to wear 11 for all four years -- but I think I would go waaaayyyyy back and nominate Jim Stevens, who played for the Big Red from 1961-64 and scored 72 points in 59 games for a Cornell program that was still in the process of building itself. If that's not enough, he assisted on the first goal of Cornell's 2-1 win over near-national-power Harvard in 1962 -- a victory that put the Big Red hockey team on the map.

[/rambling]

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 07, 2009 01:00AM

Give My Regards

This auction seems like it might have had its roots in something Coach Schafer had his players do in his first year as head coach; research and write up a blurb on the best Cornell player ever to wear their number. (I don't know if Coach Schafer had his later teams do this) I mention it in part because I think they should have had Mike Garman take the Eddy Skazyk route. Skazyk, still the best (and only) player to wear #39 for the Big Red, wound up researching #1, as it was not uncommon for pre-1970-or-so teams to have multiple goaltenders wear that number. As I recall, Skazyk picked Darren Eliot, as Ken Dryden was already spoken for.

Anyway, it's good that the current Big Red was able to honor a couple top-notch players who wore #6 (Nethery) and #25 (Nieuwendyk) -- but I note that this year's roster doesn't have an 11 or 26 either (or a 13, but never mind that). For 26, although I really liked Matt Cooney, I guess I'd nominate Topher Scott.

11 is tougher, though. It looks like, in a lot of instances, that number was worn either by someone who wasn't with the team long or who switched numbers later in his career (like Doug Derraugh). Maybe Mitch Carefoot gets the nod by being the only player to wear 11 for all four years -- but I think I would go waaaayyyyy back and nominate Jim Stevens, who played for the Big Red from 1961-64 and scored 72 points in 59 games for a Cornell program that was still in the process of building itself. If that's not enough, he assisted on the first goal of Cornell's 2-1 win over near-national-power Harvard in 1962 -- a victory that put the Big Red hockey team on the map.

[/rambling]

Yeah, I agree, this event seems like it was put forth to be researched by the players and the decision made by them. The only other "3rd jersey" auction that was done several years ago was in the "best player to wear the number" theme. (I believe #11 was Darren Tymshysyn, he of the defunct UIC transfer, to contribute to the rambling about that number above) Those #'s seemed to be determined by the admin.

Date: January 07, 2009 06:56AM

RichH
(I believe #11 was Darren Tymshysyn, he of the defunct UIC transfer, to contribute to the rambling about that number above)

I was going to make that point, although I wasn't sure how to spell Tymchyshyn.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: January 07, 2009 08:15AM

Al DeFlorio

In defense of Brock Tredway, he was a classy guy and and an excellent player. He also was a starter on the men's soccer team, which was quite good at the time, and his statistics would have been even better if he had concentrated solely on hockey. We're not all going to agree with the decisions the current players made on whom to put on their jerseys. The fact that there are so many great players for Cornell whose names aren't being included is a tribute to our program.

Date: January 07, 2009 08:34AM

dbilmes
Al DeFlorio

In defense of Brock Tredway, he was a classy guy and and an excellent player. He also was a starter on the men's soccer team, which was quite good at the time, and his statistics would have been even better if he had concentrated solely on hockey. We're not all going to agree with the decisions the current players made on whom to put on their jerseys. The fact that there are so many great players for Cornell whose names aren't being included is a tribute to our program.
Just for the record, the quote attributed to me above is swampy's, not mine.

I don't think anyone here has intended to slight Brock Tredway in any way, shape, or form. He was, indeed, a great Cornell hockey player.

Date: January 07, 2009 11:15AM

jtwcornell91
RichH
(I believe #11 was Darren Tymshysyn, he of the defunct UIC transfer, to contribute to the rambling about that number above)
And yet you spelled it right and Rich didn't. Go figure. :-}

Posted by: BCrespi (---.environcorp.com)
Date: January 07, 2009 11:22AM

RichH
Give My Regards

[/rambling]

Yeah, I agree, this event seems like it was put forth to be researched by the players and the decision made by them. The only other "3rd jersey" auction that was done several years ago was in the "best player to wear the number" theme. (I believe #11 was Darren Tymshysyn, he of the defunct UIC transfer, to contribute to the rambling about that number above) Those #'s seemed to be determined by the admin.

I was under the impression that those numbers were picked by the players as well, but I could be wrong.

Posted by: RichH (155.104.37.---)
Date: January 07, 2009 11:25AM

jtwcornell91
RichH

Apparently, I wasn't sure either. worry
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2009 11:26AM by RichH.

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: January 07, 2009 11:28AM

My guess is the numbers have no significance - they were just the numbers that came with those awful jersies. Wanting to get rid of these dogs, some clever person thought that by adding nameplates of The Heroes they could foist them off on the likes of us.

And they're probably right.uptouptoupto

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: January 07, 2009 12:15PM

RichH
jtwcornell91
RichH

Apparently, I wasn't sure either. worry
Being sure wasn't your problem.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: January 07, 2009 12:37PM

jtwcornell91
RichH

To continue the rambling, I believe that jersey fetched the most money in that auction, having been bought by Darren himself. I guess he really wanted to make sure he got it.

Posted by: BCrespi (---.environcorp.com)
Date: January 07, 2009 03:30PM

TimV
My guess is the numbers have no significance - they were just the numbers that came with those awful jersies. Wanting to get rid of these dogs, some clever person thought that by adding nameplates of The Heroes they could foist them off on the likes of us.

And they're probably right.uptouptoupto

I'm sorry, I definitely meant the names were picked by the players the first time as well. At least, that is my recollection. Regardless, the numbers are certainly just a team set.

Date: January 07, 2009 03:35PM

Josh '99
jtwcornell91
RichH

I had to look it up. ;-) (My guess was going to be Tymschychyn.)

Date: January 07, 2009 03:58PM

jtwcornell91
Josh '99
jtwcornell91
RichH
I had to look it up. ;-) (My guess was going to be Tymschychyn.)
If you use the letter "y" where you might otherwise think to put a soft letter "i", it's actually spelled exactly like it sounds.

Date: January 09, 2009 07:44AM

Short piece in today's Ithaca Journal describing auction mechanics: [www.theithacajournal.com]

Posted by: hypotenuse (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 09, 2009 08:40PM

I must say it is pretty cool to see Dan Lodboa back on the ice.

Posted by: bernie (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: January 09, 2009 09:54PM

too bad mugford didn't choose baby, even if only to hear the "hey baby" cheer this weekend

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 09, 2009 10:04PM

bernie
too bad mugford didn't choose baby, even if only to hear the "hey baby" cheer this weekend

Dang, that would have been nice...I did, however, enjoy seeing Schafer break his stick over his head during the introductions, since I missed the original.

Date: January 10, 2009 01:03AM

Perhaps unexpected detail: while the "CORNELL" and most of the numbers are in the ugly Nike Swift skinny sans-serif font, anything that was put on after is in normal block characters. This includes the nameplates, as well as the numbers on jerseys that were not present in Florida, like 4, 9 and 35. FYI.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 10, 2009 07:24AM

jtwcornell91
Perhaps unexpected detail: while the "CORNELL" and most of the numbers are in the ugly Nike Swift skinny sans-serif font, anything that was put on after is in normal block characters. This includes the nameplates, as well as the numbers on jerseys that were not present in Florida, like 4, 9 and 35. FYI.

Scary. I noticed that, too.

Those are still pretty ugly, tho.

Date: January 10, 2009 08:39AM

jtwcornell91
Just checked the DVR, and the "CORNELL" lettering appears to be in the same serifed font as on the traditional unis.

Date: January 10, 2009 09:30AM

Al DeFlorio
jtwcornell91
Just checked the DVR, and the "CORNELL" lettering appears to be in the same serifed font as on the traditional unis.

Oops, I was just assuming. I guess Nike considered it part of the logo and didn't re-font it.

The unis do still have the unfortunate vertical white panels and no horizontal stripe.

Date: January 10, 2009 10:09AM

jtwcornell91
The unis do still have the unfortunate vertical white panels and no horizontal stripe.
Don't get me wrong: They're still ugly, even with the correct "Cornell" font.

Date: January 10, 2009 12:21PM

So...you're not bidding Al? Even on the Dryden shirt?

I'd love a Dryden, but it would have to be the traditional design. With the laces too.rock

Posted by: tretiak (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 10, 2009 01:54PM

that's hilarious - anyone have a video of that?

Date: January 10, 2009 02:20PM

TimV
So...you're not bidding Al? Even on the Dryden shirt?

I'd love a Dryden, but it would have to be the traditional design. With the laces too.rock
I'd love a traditional Cornell sweater with "Dryden," but not the Nike one. I could even pass on the laces. At the summer golf event where they honored the NCAA championship teams, they auctioned off a Labatt's hockey sweater autographed by Ken and it brought a bundle.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: January 22, 2009 07:50PM

Give My Regards
We're all still young!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login