Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Andy Iles ---> Cornell '10

Posted by ursusminor 
Andy Iles ---> Cornell '10
Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 20, 2008 01:20PM

www.ushr.com is reporting that goalie Andy Iles of the Salisbury School, an Ithaca native, has committed to Cornell for 2010. Others after him included BC, UNH, Harvard, and Providence,
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2008 02:34PM by ursusminor.

Re: Andy Iles ---> Cornell '10
Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 20, 2008 04:42PM

ursusminor
www.ushr.com is reporting that goalie Andy Iles of the Salisbury School, an Ithaca native, has committed to Cornell for 2010. Others after him included BC, UNH, Harvard, and Providence,
I remember hear something about a really good goalie at Ithaca High School a year or two ago - did he play there before going to Salisbury?

Posted by: Cop at Lynah (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 20, 2008 05:46PM

Yes he did. He was the starting goalie for IHS as a Freshman and led them to a state title.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.sip.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 20, 2008 07:40PM

He is considered one of, if not _the_ top goaltender of his age in the United States. A huge pickup for the Red.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 20, 2008 10:36PM

Wasn't Garman pretty highly touted himself? What does this recruit mean for his future?

Posted by: nr53 (---.cisco.com)
Date: December 20, 2008 11:18PM

So with DiLeo and Davenport graduating this year we're only going to have two goalies on the roster?

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: December 20, 2008 11:44PM

nr53
So with DiLeo and Davenport graduating this year we're only going to have two goalies on the roster?

It'll hardly be the first time.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: December 21, 2008 12:18AM

pfibiger
He is considered one of, if not _the_ top goaltender of his age in the United States. A huge pickup for the Red.

Wow, that 2010 class is shaping up to be something else. We all know to take rankings with a grain of salt, but consider this. dribble

* Iles is ranked the top goalie in the Northeast and, by most accounts, in the U.S.
* Kevin Cole is the #2 forward in the Northeast.
* Armand de Swardt is the #4 forward in the Western U.S.
* Mathieu Brisson is #7 defender in Eastern Canada
* Jarred Seymour is #50 defender in Eastern Canada

Then in 2011 we have
* John Knisley, #24 F in the Northeast
* Ben Thomson, #2 F in Eastern Canada

Compare this to the class of '09, which still looks pretty good but only John Esposito has a single-digit rank. I don't recall seeing an incoming Cornell class with anything near this high a level of ranking across the board. Is my impression correct?

Now we just have to be careful and not do what Harvard seems to be doing -- combining excellent recruiting classes with sucky performance on the ice. Somehow I have faith that Mike Schafer, who is a proven winner, won't let this happen.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 21, 2008 12:25AM

Beeeej
nr53

Granted, but it's clearly not Schafer's preferred situation. It'll only be the third such season in his time at Cornell (98-99 with Underhill and Burt; 04-05 with McKee and Chabot).

Posted by: cbuckser (76.197.9.---)
Date: December 21, 2008 03:11AM

Josh '99
Beeeej
nr53

Granted, but it's clearly not Schafer's preferred situation. It'll only be the third such season in his time at Cornell (98-99 with Underhill and Burt; 04-05 with McKee and Chabot).
The coaching staff has about four months to round up a third-string goalie. I suspect that it will not be a formidable task.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 21, 2008 04:40AM

RPI has been going with a true walkon as a third string goalie for years. Knock on wood, it has yet to have been a problem. This year they had 5 goalies try out, and Joe Harkenrider when the honor of opening the door to the bench for home games. Interestingly, the last cut, who also dressed for RPI's Red-White game, Nick Loran, is Neil Little's son from a "relationship" back in Alberta.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: December 21, 2008 04:52AM

When's the last time Cornell had to use a third string goalie in a game? I'm not talking about letting the third stringer play in garbage time either. Off hand I can't recall it happening in my time following the team.

Date: December 21, 2008 06:18AM

KeithK
When's the last time Cornell had to use a third string goalie in a game? I'm not talking about letting the third stringer play in garbage time either. Off hand I can't recall it happening in my time following the team.

Chris Gartman saw non-garbage time in both the 2000 and 2001 seasons, when Underhill and Burt were first and second. If I recall correctly, he not only replaced Underhill halfway through an uncharacteristically poor performance from Matt once, but he also started at least one non-conference game at some point (and got pulled for Burt).

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 21, 2008 11:36AM

Josh '99
Beeeej
nr53

Should also be noted (knocking on my wooden keyboard) that Garman missed some time due to injuries each of his two years in Nanaimo. Also, if Iles continues to develop he could be in the running for National Junior team honors down the road -- the USHR article points out that many people thought he was the best goalie in the NTDP camp last summer & probably should have been invited to the U17 program.

Maybe the staff will see if AJ Fiore can play goalie (on the ice). Fiore is ranked as the 2nd best goalie in the contry by Inside Lacrosse (13th best player overall) and is heading to Cornell next year. Fiore plays forward on the Little Red hockey team, at least he can skate. :)

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 21, 2008 11:47AM

ithacat
Maybe the staff will see if AJ Fiore can play goalie (on the ice). Fiore is ranked as the 2nd best goalie in the contry by Inside Lacrosse (13th best player overall) and is heading to Cornell next year. Fiore plays forward on the Little Red hockey team, at least he can skate. :)

Thanks for reminding me of that.banana

Posted by: hypotenuse (---.wifi-aruba.com)
Date: December 21, 2008 09:41PM

the number 2 goalie to brian cropper on the 1960-70 team was the lacrosse goalie.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2008 10:37PM

hypotenuse
the number 2 goalie to brian cropper on the 1960-70 team was the lacrosse goalie.

Bob Rule '71 who was All-America in lacrosse and somewhat less honored in hockey. Rule got hurt at the end of the 1971 championship lacrosse season but his backup was like honorable mention All-America, I believe.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2008 08:56AM

billhoward
hypotenuse

Bob Rule '71 who was All-America in lacrosse and somewhat less honored in hockey. Rule got hurt at the end of the 1971 championship lacrosse season but his backup was like honorable mention All-America, I believe.
Bob Buhmann was named honorable-mention AA. IIRC, he made 22 saves while allowing six goals in the championship game after Rule was hurt earlier. Every backup's dream.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: December 23, 2008 04:05PM

Jordan 04
Wasn't Garman pretty highly touted himself? What does this recruit mean for his future?
Garman was highly touted. Assuming he doesn't unseat Ben for the remainder of this year or next, then he and Iles will battle for the top slot beginning his junior year.

Date: December 23, 2008 04:09PM

Trotsky
Jordan 04
Garman was highly touted. Assuming he doesn't unseat Ben for the remainder of this year or next, then he and Iles will battle for the top slot beginning his junior year.

Has Schafer ever used alternating goalies?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: December 23, 2008 04:13PM

Swampy
Trotsky
Jordan 04

IIRC, Underhill and Burt bounced back and forth. Schafer definitely seems to prefer one lead dog.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.ospd.ca.gov)
Date: December 23, 2008 04:24PM

Trotsky
Swampy
Trotsky
Jordan 04

IIRC, Underhill and Burt bounced back and forth. Schafer definitely seems to prefer one lead dog.

In 2001-02, Matt Underhill and David LeNeveu each played one night per weekend.

For what it's worth, I don't think Mike Garman came in as a blue-chip prospect. He had a great age-19 season for Nanaimo, when he outplayed Marc Cheverie. His age-20 season was decent, but he did not take a big step forward from his age-19 season.

That said, Garman's presence should ensure that Andy Iles isn't handed the #1 job on a silver platter.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2008 04:26PM by cbuckser.

Date: December 23, 2008 04:31PM

Y'know, we really haven't had a good name-specific "goalie/sieve" chant in a while - like "Elliott/Idiot" and "Underhill/Underskilled" (or "Burt/Ernie," which I always hoped would catch on, but unaccountably never did). It'd be nice if the coaching staff would adjust their recruiting with an eye toward providing us with more entertaining chant opportunities.

"Iles/Peninsulas" just doesn't cut it.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: ithacat (---.cbs.cornell.edu)
Date: December 23, 2008 04:55PM

Beeeej
Y'know, we really haven't had a good name-specific "goalie/sieve" chant in a while - like "Elliott/Idiot" and "Underhill/Underskilled" (or "Burt/Ernie," which I always hoped would catch on, but unaccountably never did). It'd be nice if the coaching staff would adjust their recruiting with an eye toward providing us with more entertaining chant opportunities.

Garman/Charmin?

Date: December 23, 2008 05:09PM

Beeeej

Although it doesn't have the symmetry in these cheers, when I Googled Andy Iles I noticed something that I thought was pretty clever: "God saves, Andy shuts out."

I think the coaches should take seriously your larger point about name-based recruiting. Look how well we did when we recruited goalies named after upstate NY towns. Have you cc'd MS with a copy of your post? rolleyes

Date: December 23, 2008 05:15PM

ithacat
Beeeej

Garman/Charmin?

Andy/Dandy or Andy/Candy...ass? (Can we use "ass" on this forum?)

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: December 23, 2008 05:28PM

Trotsky
Swampy
Trotsky
Jordan 04

In his first several seasons at Cornell Shafer routinely used a goalie platoon/rotation. When February rolled around he would pick the hot hand and ride that guy through the playoffs.

95-96 Skazyk/Elliott
96-97 Elliott/Pelletier
98-99 Burt/Underhill
99-00 Burt/Underhill

The pattern stuck for long enough that it seemed clear at the time that this was Schafer's philosophy (and maybe it was then). Since then he has tended to look for his number 1 guy as soon as possible and stick with him almost exclusively.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: December 23, 2008 05:44PM

Beeeej
(or "Burt/Ernie," which I always hoped would catch on, but unaccountably never did)
It didn't catch on because Bert is the evil one.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (12.96.36.---)
Date: December 23, 2008 11:02PM

A little old time, but how about Andy...Raggedy...Andy...Raggedy.

I also wouldn't mind a "Good Andy, Bad Andy" cheer, but it would have nothing to do with our opponent.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2008 11:04PM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Date: December 24, 2008 07:25AM

More on Iles in today's Ithaca Journal: [www.theithacajournal.com]

Date: December 24, 2008 08:13AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
A little old time, but how about Andy...Raggedy...Andy...Raggedy.

I also wouldn't mind a "Good Andy, Bad Andy" cheer, but it would have nothing to do with our opponent.

Then we have Iles/Viles.

Or, for those who remember the racist radio and TV show, "Amiss and Andy.":-O

Finally, not to forget Garman and referring to a leading manufacturer of GPS systems: Garman/Lost.drive

Posted by: LaJollaRed (---.hsd1.dc.comcast.net)
Date: December 25, 2008 02:23PM

AmOs and Andy...

It was also a racist TV show.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: December 25, 2008 03:43PM

LaJollaRed
AmOs and Andy...

It was also a racist TV show.

Hey LJR, that joke called. It said, *WHOOSH*.

Posted by: LaJollaRed (---.hsd1.dc.comcast.net)
Date: December 26, 2008 08:37AM

**Hangs head in shame**

Take pity. I had to work yesterday. Heh.

I'm always for updating the Underhill (Underdog) song....We've had a fortunate streak of three-syllable goalie names for a while, and haven't utilized it much at all:

Leneveu
Dave McKee
Davenport
Ben Scrivens
DiLeo
Andy Iles

Posted by: redice (---.154.217.41.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: December 26, 2008 09:10AM

ithacat
Beeeej

Garman/Charmin?

And, if the opposing goalie is named Tom:
Garman/Tom Tom

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (12.45.221.---)
Date: December 26, 2008 05:46PM

redice
ithacat
Beeeej

Garman/Charmin?

And, if the opposing goalie is named Tom:
Garman/Tom Tom

Actually "Garman...Lost" occurred to me, but it seemed too much of a stretch.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: December 26, 2008 06:14PM

I always sing it. Quietly. I'm sure I'm the only one.

Date: December 31, 2008 08:31AM

ithacat
[
Two goals and an assist last night in a 3-1 IHS win.

Posted by: dragonfan (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 31, 2008 09:26AM

Thats my cousin.

Date: December 31, 2008 04:25PM

Al DeFlorio
ithacat
...Fiore plays forward on the Little Red hockey team, at least he can skate. :)
Two goals and an assist last night in a 3-1 IHS win.

He's one of the few offensive options on this year's Little Red. Not sure why Teo Camadella isn't playing with IHS. He was one of the top scorers at the Select 14 festival last summer.

Posted by: Cop at Lynah (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 01, 2009 01:13PM

Teo Camadella plays for the Syracuse Stars.

Posted by: dragonfan (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 01, 2009 05:32PM

He is a very good player,I have played with him before.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 01, 2009 06:04PM

Cop at Lynah
Which level? I don't see him on either of the rosters. Maybe the lists are obsolete or they have a broader program than just the EJHL and Empire League teams, as I don't see any 1994 birthdays.

Date: January 01, 2009 07:51PM

David Harding
Cop at Lynah
Which level? I don't see him on either of the rosters. Maybe the lists are obsolete or they have a broader program than just the EJHL and Empire League teams, as I don't see any 1994 birthdays.

He's in their AAA program, I think. He's the kind of kid IHS needs to get a year or two out of before moving on. I suspect if he stays with Syracuse he'll be playing JrB next season, just a guess.

Posted by: kaelistus (---.mak.com)
Date: January 02, 2009 03:25PM

Jeff Hopkins '82

Actually "Garman...Lost" occurred to me, but it seemed too much of a stretch.

It'll never happen. But i absolutely love this.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login