Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell "Team of the Week" on CHN

Posted by Beeeej 
Cornell "Team of the Week" on CHN
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: December 09, 2008 11:53AM

Adam Wodon dubs Cornell the Team of the Week:

[www.collegehockeynews.com]

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Re: Cornell "Team of the Week" on CHN
Posted by: JDeafv (---.mae.cornell.edu)
Date: December 09, 2008 12:03PM

Probably helped by the fact that Adam was in Lynah this weekend. It's actually nice to see some lengthy quotes from Scrivens and Schafer.

Posted by: adamw (65.207.35.---)
Date: December 09, 2008 12:05PM

More to come ... Feature on Casey Jones coming soon. Mentioned in other thread. I'll delete that one. There's also a pictorial on the site.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.198.175.24.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: December 09, 2008 12:13PM

Cool. One note, Michael Kennedy is (unfortunately) a senior.

Date: December 09, 2008 12:18PM

Fixed. I'm amazed Beeej didn't spot that first :)

Date: December 09, 2008 12:20PM

adamw

I can barely keep track of the players' names after twenty-two years; you expect me to keep track of how long they've been on the team, too?! help

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: December 09, 2008 12:23PM

Beeeej
adamw

I can barely keep track of the players' names after twenty-two years; you expect me to keep track of how long they've been on the team, too?! help
Heck, he can't even remember to correct people's misspelling of his name anymore. :-P

Date: December 09, 2008 12:25PM

Oh stop - we all know Beeeej is my favorite pedant.

Date: December 09, 2008 12:26PM

adamw
Oh stop - we all know Beeeej is my favorite pedant.

The bold "e" is silent.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: December 09, 2008 01:09PM

JHC... it's only four short years until I reach your advanced age. Is this what I have to look forward to?

Posted by: BCrespi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 09, 2008 04:07PM

You know, we all still go back and forth a great deal about Scrivens' skills and our relative comfort levels with him in net. What's certainly not in doubt though, is how clearly in touch the kid is and how happy he seems to bleed Red. Between quotes like these and his mask design, Ben makes himself very easy to root for.

Great article Adam.

Date: December 09, 2008 05:06PM

Thanks.

Casey Jones article has been added:

Posted by: mnagowski (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 09, 2008 05:25PM

I want to know if the band has started to cover the Grateful Dead.

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: December 09, 2008 06:26PM

adamw
Thanks.

Adam, thanks for the Casey Jones article. I had noticed that two recent recruits, Esposito and Brisson, are from Quebec and was wondering about our apparent increased profile up there. Casey's fluency in French and Quebecois roots may already be paying dividends.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 09, 2008 07:57PM

jkahn
adamw
Thanks.

Adam, thanks for the Casey Jones article. I had noticed that two recent recruits, Esposito and Brisson, are from Quebec and was wondering about our apparent increased profile up there. Casey's fluency in French and Quebecois roots may already be paying dividends.
Huh, I had no idea Casey was from Quebec. Never would've guessed from his name.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 09, 2008 08:37PM

Josh '99
jkahn

That's because you don't know that his name is pronounced "Uuuhh".

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: December 09, 2008 08:49PM

Josh '99
jkahn
adamw
Thanks.

Do they have trains in Quebec? rock

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 09, 2008 10:10PM

Swampy
Josh '99
jkahn
adamw
Thanks.

Do they have trains in Quebec? rock
Yeah, but you don't want to take them; I think the conductors are hopped up on something.

Posted by: Willy '06 (38.98.164.---)
Date: December 09, 2008 11:51PM

Don't get me started on trains in Quebec...

I was supposed to fly from Quebec City to Gaspé with my Dad to go salmon fishing. Our flight was cancelled, so we decided to take an overnight train. We almost got to where we were going, but a bridge washed out, so the train turned around. Our fishing camp told us not to come because the river was flooded, so we stayed on the train until it went back to Montreal so that we could fly home.

It was 40 hours on a train. It was terrible.

Oh yeah, and my Dad and I were the only passengers on the train for about 8 of those hours. At one point I was walking back to my car, and ran into a conductor coming out of the bathroom with the overwhelming stench of a certain herbal remedy.

Hopped up might not be the right word, but he was certainly on something.

Date: December 09, 2008 11:52PM

Now that's some thread drift.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: December 10, 2008 12:39PM

Josh '99
I had no idea, either.

Rope in Etienne Belzile and Marc Deschamps to help with the recruiting and start making some visits!

I'm imagining that it's somewhat difficult to convince French-speaking kids from Quebec to spend 4 years in upstate NY? We've had a few good ones, I hope it works out.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 10, 2008 12:47PM

RatushnyFan
Josh '99
I had no idea, either.

Rope in Etienne Belzile and Marc Deschamps to help with the recruiting and start making some visits!

I'm imagining that it's somewhat difficult to convince French-speaking kids from Quebec to spend 4 years in upstate NY? We've had a few good ones, I hope it works out.

I don't think that's a problem. As has been noted, we've had them before and Clarkson has traditionally had some. A quick glance of their roster shows 3 currently from Quebec. They do speak English, especially if they are college material.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 10, 2008 02:23PM

Jim Hyla
RatushnyFan
Josh '99
I had no idea, either.

I don't think that's a problem. As has been noted, we've had them before and Clarkson has traditionally had some. A quick glance of their roster shows 3 currently from Quebec. They do speak English, especially if they are college material.

From not an authoritative source, but a convenient one:

"In Canada, education is under provincial jurisdiction. However, the federal government has been a strong supporter of establishing Canada as a bilingual country and has helped pioneer the French immersion programs in the public education systems throughout Canada. In French immersion students with no previous French language training, usually beginning in Kindergarten or grade 1, do all of their school work in French. Regular English programs provide Core French in later grades, usually in grade 4. Depending on provincial jurisdiction, some provinces also offer an Extended French program that begins in grade 5 which offers relatively more courses in French. In this case the student takes French immersion until grade nine but may continue throughout their highschool education. There are also some private schools and preschools that do immersion programs in other languages."

And:

"Quebec is required to provide an education in English to all children whose parents were educated in English in Canada, while all other provinces are required to provide an education in French to all children whose parents were educated in French anywhere in the world."

One would assume that, even though Quebec is Quebec, similar English immersion programs exist for the children of native French speakers. (Or, "The immersions, they exist for ze keeds of native Franch speaker alzo. Let us go play-ee the 'ock-ey, now, yes?";)

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: December 10, 2008 03:09PM

It doesn't mean they make it particularly easy to comply.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login