Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

St. Lawrence 0 @ Cornell 1 Postgame Thread

Posted by Beeeej 
St. Lawrence 0 @ Cornell 1 Postgame Thread
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: December 06, 2008 09:31PM

Sounds like Scrivens did a great job getting the shutout. Looking forward to thoughts and opinions from people who were actually there.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Re: St. Lawrence 0 @ Cornell 1 Postgame Thread
Posted by: upperdeck (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 06, 2008 09:49PM

hey he would have had one the night before if he handnt scored on himself..

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2008 10:08PM

Cornell after 10 games, under Schafer; Pct >= .800 in red.

1996 4-3-3
1997 6-3-1
1998 6-3-1
1999 6-3-1
2000 4-6-0
2001 5-3-2
2002 7-2-1
2003 9-1-0
2004 3-2-5
2005 6-2-2
2006 6-3-1
2007 7-3-0
2008 4-5-1
2009 7-1-2

Posted by: dragonfan (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 06, 2008 11:16PM

Gallagher played a great game and so did Scrivens,but I hate feeling like there just holding on,the second and third basically was controled by St.Lawrence.The only real stretch that we controled the game came after Gallaghers spectacular near goal in the first.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 06, 2008 11:33PM

Ok, I was there and the game was schizophrenic. They never played better than the first period, but the third, wow, why can't they play better defense. Gallagher never looked better. Yes his first period rush was amazing, but throughout the whole game he performed. I finally see why he's been on the PP all year. He and Scrivens were no doubt the best players tonight. R. Nash showed flashes of brilliance with his passing. I just hope he can stay another year with Greening.

But we either have to score more when we are playing well, or the defense when we are ahead has to be a lot better. We used to be so good at protecting a lead. It was only a couple of lucky bounces that kept SLU off the scoreboard. We have to stop taking inopportune penalties. Other teams would have put it to us.

That said, there is definitely something special about this team. They remind me of earlier teams of the 2000's. Somehow they find a way to win.

SLU looked a lot better than their record. Better than either 'gate or Clarkson. If they can continue to improve they will be around come ECAC tourney.

Now I'm over to Sioux sports to read up.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2008 11:38PM

dragonfan
Gallagher played a great game and so did Scrivens,but I hate feeling like there just holding on,the second and third basically was controled by St.Lawrence.The only real stretch that we controled the game came after Gallaghers spectacular near goal in the first.
I'd prefer more games like Dartmouth and Clarkson, where Cornell controls play for large stretches, too. They did do that tonight particularly in the first, when there seemed to be 5 five minutes stretches where the Saints did not control the puck in their offensive zone once. But that sort of dominance is not going to be typical.

I think this weekend showed what Cornell can do when they are businesslike against an opponent playing a terrible game, and an opponent playing at the very top of their game, while the Grand Forks weekend showed what Cornell can do, against a businesslike opponent, playing a terrible game and playing at the very top of their game. Out of that 2x2 matrix they played .750 -- a hopeful sign with the caveat that this squad cannot take a night off or they'll lose to Wayne State. And those guys are disbanded.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2008 11:41PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 07, 2008 12:16AM

YouTube was invented for incredible scoring moves like the one by Blake Gallagher in the first period. Except it went wide. Damn.

Even for a team averaging 20% on the PP, odds are not wildly in favor of their scoring on a five-minute major. But that was a big disappointment that we didn't capitalize on that game misconduct / five minute opportunity.

You can't tell from the video webcast (even if it's improving each year) whether Scrivens was good, great, or spectacular, but it appears as if he saved Cornell in the third.

Pretty decent way to head into exams.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 07, 2008 12:24AM

billhoward
You can't tell from the video webcast (even if it's improving each year) whether Scrivens was good, great, or spectacular, but it appears as if he saved Cornell in the third.

Scrivens was great, I don't know how to separate from spectacular, and lucky. There were many pipes and missed nets, so maybe that means not spectacular.

Posted by: BMac (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 07, 2008 02:44AM

Short game notes from my last game as a student :(

Gallagher- fantastic all weekend long. The scoring opportunity today was sportcenter top play material. Split two guys, beat a third, spun left, beat the goalie, and barely missed a blind backhand in on the spin. Every single person in the rink groaned.

5-minute penalty for hitting M.Kennedy from behind- 100% textbook, he could have been seriously hurt. Didn't get up for 30 seconds. Very bad penalty, I'm glad he's ok.

It's 9 o'clock on a Friday night- honestly, 15 people in A were staring holes into the digital clock on the wall under the catwalk between 8:59 and 9:00. As soon as it turned, we ALL started the cheer, and the whole rink finished it, with a resounding "YOU CAN'T SCORE! YOU CAN'T SCORE!" I don't care if it's 1-0, we did good.

Scrivens- is a Deity. Capital D. The glove save at the end was beyond McKee-like. The townies all spontaneously stood, it was that good.

This is the 2004 team in too many ways- find a way to win, strong and physical, 2-1 and 1-0 games, awesome goalie, all wins at home except for a tie against toothpaste. And oh yeah, they seem like they will always win.

Date: December 07, 2008 09:44AM

BMac
It's 9 o'clock on a Friday night- honestly, 15 people in A were staring holes into the digital clock on the wall under the catwalk between 8:59 and 9:00. As soon as it turned, we ALL started the cheer, and the whole rink finished it, with a resounding "YOU CAN'T SCORE! YOU CAN'T SCORE!" I don't care if it's 1-0, we did good.

For the love of God, would you please explain to the other fourteen people that the "9 o'clock" cheer is "It's 9 o'clock - do you know where your goalie is?" when we're up by a few goals, and "It's Saturday night, and you can't score" is completely different and has nothing to do with the time on the clock?!

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: December 07, 2008 10:19AM

Beeeej
BMac

For the love of God, would you please explain to the other fourteen people that the "9 o'clock" cheer is "It's 9 o'clock - do you know where your goalie is?" when we're up by a few goals, and "It's Saturday night, and you can't score" is completely different and has nothing to do with the time on the clock?!

I don't think the TV stations air those PSAs anymore, thus I'm not sure the kids today get it. The PSAs were very popular in the late 70's/ early 80's (but the time was 10 o'clock, IIRC). Actually, it might not be a bad idea to bring them back.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 07, 2008 10:47AM

Rita
Beeeej
BMac

I don't think the TV stations air those PSAs anymore, thus I'm not sure the kids today get it. The PSAs were very popular in the late 70's/ early 80's (but the time was 10 o'clock, IIRC). Actually, it might not be a bad idea to bring them back.
The time in the PSA's was 10 o'clock, but I think you can see why Lynah moved it to 9.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 07, 2008 11:33AM

Rita

It's 10 and they still air them in Connecticut.

Posted by: Cornell11 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 07, 2008 11:37AM

at what minute in the redcast feed did gallagher make that incredible scoring move?

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.host.starwoodhotels.com)
Date: December 07, 2008 12:16PM

I'm pretty air Fox 5 in NY still does them before the 10:00 news.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: December 07, 2008 12:38PM

ugarte
Rita
Beeeej
BMac

The time in the PSA's was 10 o'clock, but I think you can see why Lynah moved it to 9.

Back when the games started at 7:30 and a team of thugs, like say Don Calhoun and the Princeton tigers, came to Lynah, the game actually did make it past 10 o'clock.

They should air those PSAs in IN. I grew up in CT and those ads seemed to be on all the time, and my parents did indeed know where I was at 10 pm.

Posted by: Giffy (---.hsd1.dc.comcast.net)
Date: December 07, 2008 07:20PM

The Gallagher play is at about 46:30 in the Redcast video.

Posted by: BMac (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 07, 2008 08:15PM

I'm going to refer you to Jim Hyla's comment on the SLU game thread-

Jim Hyla
we get way too critical about how people cheer. Let's be happy they do it; no one can say that only the people who post here know the correct way.

We've done it this way at least since I was a freshman in 04-05. It's funny. Everyone knows it. Relax.

Date: December 07, 2008 08:29PM

BMac

Jim Hyla
we get way too critical about how people cheer. Let's be happy they do it; no one can say that only the people who post here know the correct way.

We've done it this way at least since I was a freshman in 04-05. It's funny. Everyone knows it. Relax.

Other than "it's funny" and "everyone knows it," I completely agree. It doesn't make the slightest bit of sense. What does the time on the clock have to do with the joke?

Oh, and I'm quite relaxed, thanks.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 07, 2008 08:32PM

BMac

Jim Hyla

I agree that there's nothing wrong with the current version or bastardization, as some would have it, of the 9 o'clock cheer. The very nature of cheers is similar to folk tales in that they evolve over time and it's so tight-assed to feel the need to police our own cheering. If students feel like they'll get hated on by other "better" fans for trying to introduce something new to the repertoire, well, you don't end up seeing much new material.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: December 07, 2008 09:47PM

Mixing two cheers in a way that misses the point of both isn't introducing new material.

Date: December 07, 2008 09:51PM

KeithK
Mixing two cheers in a way that misses the point of both isn't introducing new material.

Geez, Keith, relax.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: BCrespi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 07, 2008 10:08PM

Beeeej
BMac

Or, in this case, and as we've used MUCH more often for the 2000s-era teams, "It's 9:00. Do you know where your offense is?

I'm not one to get my panties in a bunch about cheers. The only reason this bothers me, is that the two cheers,in my opinion, are two of Lynah's best when done right. In the end though, whatever keeps (?) the rink full and loud will work for me.

Date: December 07, 2008 10:18PM

BCrespi
Beeeej
BMac

Or, in this case, and as we've used MUCH more often for the 2000s-era teams, "It's 9:00. Do you know where your offense is?

I'm not one to get my panties in a bunch about cheers. The only reason this bothers me, is that the two cheers,in my opinion, are two of Lynah's best when done right. In the end though, whatever keeps (?) the rink full and loud will work for me.

I admit, this one does bother me - but probably more so because I was there the very first time the "Do you know where your goalie is?" cheer was done, back in the very early 1990s. I don't think anybody is intentionally disrespecting the person who started it by combining them. But I do feel (and obviously others agree) that these two cheers are, separately, fantastic, and that combining them just doesn't make sense.

That having been said, people are gonna do what they're gonna do.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: mnagowski (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 07, 2008 10:29PM

For instance, speeding up the Let's Go Red chant like a record going from 33 to 45 RPM.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 08, 2008 01:58AM

Rita
Back when the games started at 7:30 and a team of thugs, like say Don Calhoun and the Princeton tigers, came to Lynah, the game actually did make it past 10 o'clock.
Nitpick: Don Cahoon.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: December 08, 2008 10:38AM

Beeeej
BCrespi
Beeeej
BMac

I admit, this one does bother me - but probably more so because I was there the very first time the "Do you know where your goalie is?" cheer was done, back in the very early 1990s. I don't think anybody is intentionally disrespecting the person who started it by combining them. But I do feel (and obviously others agree) that these two cheers are, separately, fantastic, and that combining them just doesn't make sense.

The next time you go to Lynah, the cheer is going to be "Itsnineoclockandyoucantscore! Itsnineoclockandyoucantscore! Itsnineoclockandyoucantscore! ..." You will swipe a trombone and start swinging wildly at anyone cheering.

Posted by: polar (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: December 10, 2008 08:29PM

In case anyone missed it, there was a

special visitor with the tubas on Saturday.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 10, 2008 08:50PM

polar
In case anyone missed it, there was a

special visitor with the tubas on Saturday.
And props to him for wearing red.

Posted by: LaJollaRed (---.hsd1.dc.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2008 02:35AM

Sorry if someone's already posted this:

[www.collegehockeynews.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login