Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Riley Nash Invited to Canada's WJC Development Camp

Posted by pfibiger 
Riley Nash Invited to Canada's WJC Development Camp
Posted by: pfibiger (---.sip.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 03, 2008 12:29PM

He joins Brendan Smith and Cody Goloubef of Wisconsin and Patrick Wiercioch of Denver (all defensemen) as the only collegians invited.

[www.hockeycanada.ca]

Re: Riley Nash Invited to Canada's WJC Development Camp
Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: December 03, 2008 02:09PM

Article not loading for me...Does this mean he'll miss Estero?

Date: December 03, 2008 02:50PM

This is the December development camp, which is Dec 12-14. If he makes the team, then he'd be gone from Dec 26th to January 5th, missing Estero.

Posted by: Killer (---.fidelity.com)
Date: December 03, 2008 03:21PM

If it goes to the 5th, he also misses UMass.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: December 03, 2008 05:30PM

pfibiger
This is the December development camp, which is Dec 12-14. If he makes the team, then he'd be gone from Dec 26th to January 5th, missing Estero.
If he goes to the development camp, doesn't find any time to study and as a result fails all of his final exams then he may miss more than Estero.

On a serious note, would a professor be likely to reschedule an exam for development camp? Assuming the guy is not a huge Cornell hockey fan, of course.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 03, 2008 06:13PM

KeithK
pfibiger
If he goes to the development camp, doesn't find any time to study and as a result fails all of his final exams then he may miss more than Estero.

On a serious note, would a professor be likely to reschedule an exam for development camp? Assuming the guy is not a huge Cornell hockey fan, of course.

I would imagine that they would make arrangements for him to take the exam at the camp under the supervision of a coach.

Posted by: RichH (155.104.37.---)
Date: December 03, 2008 06:22PM

KeithK

Certainly it depends on the professor, but generally if they are aware of the student's activities and special cases ahead of time, I doubt it's a problem. Heck, I was able to take a couple make-up exams my freshman year so I could go attend rehearsals for a non-Cornell band that was marching in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. All the engineering profs I approached were quite understanding and very accommodating.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2008 10:39PM

RichH
KeithK

Certainly it depends on the professor, but generally if they are aware of the student's activities and special cases ahead of time, I doubt it's a problem. Heck, I was able to take a couple make-up exams my freshman year so I could go attend rehearsals for a non-Cornell band that was marching in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. All the engineering profs I approached were quite understanding and very accommodating.

Heck, we got a Prelim changed so we could watch a playoff game.rock

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 03, 2008 11:33PM

Jim Hyla
RichH
KeithK

I'm not sure that it is the same for athletes. Doesn't the NCAA have rules about giving special privileges to athletes? I'm pretty sure that's why every year there are boilerplate stories about student-athletes writing their term papers on the bus on the way to The Big Game.

Posted by: Flyers1037 (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 04, 2008 12:50AM

ugarte
Jim Hyla
RichH
KeithK

I'm not sure that it is the same for athletes. Doesn't the NCAA have rules about giving special privileges to athletes? I'm pretty sure that's why every year there are boilerplate stories about student-athletes writing their term papers on the bus on the way to The Big Game.

I'm sure that he will be able to make up the finals. Sasha Pokulok was in a similar situation when he went to Canada's development camp (4 years ago?).

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 04, 2008 01:41AM

ugarte
Jim Hyla
RichH
KeithK

If Rich can take make-up exams so he can march in the Thanksgiving Parade, and (presumably) other students can take make-up exams for various other reasons relating to extracurricular activities, is it really a "special privilege" or simply the same treatment that other students get?

Posted by: JDeafv (---.mae.cornell.edu)
Date: December 04, 2008 09:48AM

Jim Hyla

We had one of our wines prelims rescheduled to attend the Frozen Four in Buffalo. dribble

Posted by: ftyuv (---.techtarget.com)
Date: December 04, 2008 12:32PM

Josh '99
ugarte
Jim Hyla
RichH
KeithK

If Rich can take make-up exams so he can march in the Thanksgiving Parade, and (presumably) other students can take make-up exams for various other reasons relating to extracurricular activities, is it really a "special privilege" or simply the same treatment that other students get?

Besides which, rules are made to be broken. The Ivy League also isn't supposed to give athletic scholarships, but I've heard plenty o' rumors that athletes somehow get abnormally generous need-based grants and such.

Posted by: cbuckser (134.186.175.---)
Date: December 04, 2008 01:25PM

David LeNeveu took his fall 2002 final exams in January 2003. He said that his professors were very accommodating.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 04, 2008 01:40PM

ugarte
Jim Hyla
RichH
KeithK

Reasonable professors would hopefully make accommodations for special parts of your college life, athletic or otherwise. Maybe they'd do the same if you got a chance to be a college supervisor of a Habitat for Humanity project in Ecuador that wasn't related to any classwork.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.innovestsystems.com)
Date: December 04, 2008 02:34PM

billhoward
ugarte
Jim Hyla
RichH
KeithK

Reasonable professors...

...are a dying breed.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: December 04, 2008 05:16PM

Dpperk29
billhoward
ugarte
Jim Hyla
RichH
KeithK

Reasonable professors...

...are a dying breed.

Always were. We had a group of 20 or so students who asked for a make-up test in Chem 208 so we could attend an ECAC playoff game. The professor refused. Ironically, the TA who administered the test was as pissed at missing the game as we were.

BTW, the game was the famous comeback against Providence in 1979. Fortunately, I got done with the exam quickly and saw the third period and OT.

12/14 training camp update
Posted by: sah67 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 14, 2008 10:15PM

Riley is 0-3-3 in 3 training camp exhibition games between the two squads that make up the entire invited list of players for Team Canada. Essentially three rounds of red/white games.

The official team roster will be announced on Monday 12/15.

[www.hockeycanada.ca]

Re: 12/14 training camp update
Posted by: Ronald '09 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 14, 2008 11:52PM

sah67
Riley is 0-3-3 in 3 training camp exhibition games between the two squads that make up the entire invited list of players for Team Canada. Essentially three rounds of red/white games.

The official team roster will be announced on Monday 12/15.

[www.hockeycanada.ca]

Do we want him to make so the program gets more exposure or not make it so he doesn't miss three games?

Posted by: cbuckser (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 15, 2008 12:34AM

Representing Team Canada in the WJC is a dream held by most kids who play hockey north of the border. It's a phenomenal experience that we should all hope Riley has the opportunity to enjoy.

Besides exposure for the Cornell program and other recruiting benefits, playing in the WJC is the best developmental experience a 19-year-old hockey player could have, aside from getting a regular shift in the NHL. That would pay dividends later in this season.

Lastly, losing a top player to the WJC is something all the top programs deal with each December. There have been years in which Minnesota or Michigan haven't been able to dress 18 skaters for their holiday tournaments. This is a small price to pay for recruiting blue-chippers.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: December 15, 2008 07:45AM

Nash is on the Released Players/Paru lecteurs list [www.hockeycanada.ca]

Date: December 15, 2008 08:48AM

ursusminor

Three of four NCAA players were cut (Smith, Nash, Weircioch cut, Cody Goloubef made the team).

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: December 15, 2008 10:43AM

cbuckser
Lastly, losing a top player to the WJC is something all the top programs deal with each December. There have been years in which Minnesota or Michigan haven't been able to dress 18 skaters for their holiday tournaments. This is a small price to pay for recruiting blue-chippers.
For that matter, the players get to play against very demanding competition and it strengthens their game. Old timers recall when Lane MacDonald (and Allain Bourbeau?) came back from playing for the Olympic team and were suddenly about three levels better than when they left.

Posted by: sah67 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 15, 2008 10:55AM

Ouch...I feel bad for Riley, but the selfish part of me hopes he takes out his frustration on St. Cloud State and 'gate/Maine innocent

Posted by: amerks127 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: December 15, 2008 10:59AM

pfibiger
ursusminor

Three of four NCAA players were cut (Smith, Nash, Weircioch cut, Cody Goloubef made the team).

Keep in mind though that Smith and Weircioch were cut, and Goloubef was not, as Canada goes with 8 defensemen for the first time ever (instead of 7) and Tyler Cuma suffered a knee injury. Nash had one fewer spot to compete for against the likes of Tavares, Esposito, and Hodgson.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2008 11:03AM by amerks127.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: December 15, 2008 12:24PM

Trotsky
Old timers recall when Lane MacDonald (and Allain Bourbeau?) came back from playing for the Olympic team and were suddenly about three levels better than when they left.
Hence, my wish that Cornell would play fewer scrub teams. ;-)

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: December 15, 2008 02:08PM

Kyle Rose

We here all share that wish. The North Dakota series is a huge coup, and the BU rematch is next year. The Estero field is usually strong. That might be 5 quality NC dates next year.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 15, 2008 04:26PM

Trotsky
Kyle Rose

We here all share that wish. The North Dakota series is a huge coup, and the BU rematch is next year. The Estero field is usually strong. That might be 5 quality NC dates next year.

Of course, going and playing a few games against high quality teams cannot compare with playing a season with an Olympic team. It's like a redshirt year, only better.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login