Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Alumni in the pros December 2008

Posted by crodger1 
Alumni in the pros December 2008
Posted by: crodger1 (---.abtassoc.com)
Date: December 03, 2008 11:42AM

Well, new month and more bad news -- Moulson out with what appears to be a serious knee injury.

Dan Hickling, New England Hockey Journal
The Manchester Monarchs suffered two devastating injuries in the same game, Sunday’s 4-0 loss at Portland. Both right winger Matt Moulson and center Jason Azevedo suffered what initially appeared to be serious knee injuries, both of which occurred on contact plays. Moulson suffered his in the first period after heading into the corner to make a hit. Azevedo, who had held a hot scoring hand (4 goals, 4 assists in eight games), absorbed a crushing check into the boards by Portland defenseman Mike Weber, and was unable to get to his feet. He had to be helped off the ice.

“They were two of our top scorers,” lamented Manchester coach Mark Morris. “That had a big impact on the game.”

Morris said that the prognosis for either player wasn’t promising.

“It’s not good,” he said. “It’s a couple injuries that impact our team in a big way.”

[www.hockeyjournal.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2008 11:43AM by crodger1.

Re: Alumni in the pros December 2008
Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: December 03, 2008 12:25PM

crodger1
Well, new month and more bad news -- Moulson out with what appears to be a serious knee injury.

The Manchester Monarchs suffered two devastating injuries in the same game, Sunday’s 4-0 loss at Portland. Both right winger Matt Moulson and center Jason Azevedo suffered what initially appeared to be serious knee injuries, both of which occurred on contact plays. Moulson suffered his in the first period after heading into the corner to make a hit. Azevedo, who had held a hot scoring hand (4 goals, 4 assists in eight games), absorbed a crushing check into the boards by Portland defenseman Mike Weber, and was unable to get to his feet. He had to be helped off the ice.

“They were two of our top scorers,” lamented Manchester coach Mark Morris. “That had a big impact on the game.”

“It’s not good,” he said. “It’s a couple injuries that impact our team in a big way.”

[www.hockeyjournal.com]
In even worse news, Moulson is playing for Mark Morris now. Yes, that Mark Morris.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: December 03, 2008 12:28PM

Josh '99
crodger1

[www.hockeyjournal.com]
In even worse news, Moulson is playing for Mark Morris now. Yes, that Mark Morris.

I hear he's been quite a hit there. Very hard to beat.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Robb (---.gradacc.ox.ac.uk)
Date: December 03, 2008 01:23PM

French Rage
Josh '99
crodger1

[www.hockeyjournal.com]

I'm sure he's just rolling with the punches.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: December 03, 2008 01:57PM

Robb
French Rage
Josh '99
crodger1

[www.hockeyjournal.com]

I'm sure he's just rolling with the punches.
Upon hearing the extent of the injuries, he promptly replaced his starting goalie.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: December 03, 2008 06:24PM

What is it going to take for the Islanders to recall Iggy? They're calling up a couple of stiffs. [sports.yahoo.com]

Bridgeport also did a Q&A piece on Iggy recently. [www.soundtigers.com]

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: December 08, 2008 12:53PM

Slightly off topic but all Joe Nieuwendyk news is relevant, right? [sports.yahoo.com]

Way to go, Joe!

Nieuwendyk Named to Management Staff for Canada's 2009 World Hockey Championship Team
Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: December 09, 2008 10:34AM

One step closer to Cornell AD. ;-)

The addition of Joe Nieuwendyk to his management staff for the 2009 world hockey championship represented a quick and simple decision for Doug Armstrong.

"This is not just some feel-good story," Armstrong, Canada's general manager, said yesterday. "Joe is a champion. He can relate to today's players, and that is important. He brings the experience, and players know him."

Nieuwendyk, a special assistant to Maple Leafs president and general manager Brian Burke, and Pierre Gauthier, assistant GM of the Montreal Canadiens, were named assistant GMs of Canada's entry in the worlds next spring in Switzerland.

One of the first questions for Nieuwendyk was fairly obvious. Does he envision a day when he is the GM of a National Hockey League club?

"I don't really look at it in terms of that," the 42-year-old said. "Each day (with the Leafs) is a learning experience for me.

"I don't see myself as a coach although I like being around the guys and offering advice whenever I can. This is something I would look at more than coaching."

If Nieuwendyk does become an NHL GM one day, it probably will not be in Toronto. Provided Burke does not get fired or does not try to move even closer to his family in Boston, he is under contract until 2014.

Armstrong intends to formally meet with Nieuwendyk and Gauthier some time in January. One bonus for Nieuwendyk is that when he is out scouting for Hockey Canada, he will keep his eyes open for for the Leafs. Nieuwendyk will work alongside Canada's executive director, Steve Yzerman, and associate directors Kevin Lowe and Ken Holland.

Armstrong and Nieuwendyk formed a good relationship when both were employees of the Dallas Stars. Armstrong figured that if Nieuwendyk wants to become a GM one day, little will stop him.

"Joe can write his own script because of his work ethic, demeanour and intelligence," Armstrong said. "He is so well-respected, not just as a player, but as an individual as well."

For now, Nieuwendyk is thinking only of making the Leafs better and trying to help build a potential world champion.

"(Working for Hockey Canada), I am excited by it," Nieuwendyk said. "I have had a number of conversations with Steve Yzerman over the past couple of years about players and the direction he is going. This will be a good challenge for me."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2008 10:35AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: December 10, 2008 06:01PM

Not our alumnus, but I got to see Yann Denis lose last night in person. Ahhh seems like old times. :-D

Re: OB back in the Habs line-up
Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: December 10, 2008 08:50PM

Due to an an injury (broken arm) to Mathieu Dandenault, Ryan O'Byrne will get back in the line-up after several games as a (healthy) scratch.

Montreal takes on Tampa Bay tomorrow night. It would be an interesting sight to see OB and Martin St. Louis battle in front of the net (or even along the boards). popcorn

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 10, 2008 09:15PM

Rita
Due to an an injury (broken arm) to Mathieu Dandenault, Ryan O'Byrne will get back in the line-up after several games as a (healthy) scratch.

Montreal takes on Tampa Bay tomorrow night. It would be an interesting sight to see OB and Martin St. Louis battle in front of the net (or even along the boards). popcorn
Chris Higgins was injured in the same game and is also out of the lineup.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.innovestsystems.com)
Date: December 11, 2008 07:45AM

Rita
It would be an interesting sight to see OB and Martin St. Louis battle in front of the net (or even along the boards). popcorn

how is that even a battle? I think little guys can do very well in pro hockey, but battling along the boards and infront of the net are two spots where size does matter. Little guys tend to do better buzzing around, seeing the flow of the game and knowing where to be at the right moment.

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: December 11, 2008 11:24AM

Dpperk29
Rita
It would be an interesting sight to see OB and Martin St. Louis "battle" in front of the net (or even along the boards). popcorn

how is that even a battle? I think little guys can do very well in pro hockey, but battling along the boards and infront of the net are two spots where size does matter. Little guys tend to do better buzzing around, seeing the flow of the game and knowing where to be at the right moment.

I guess I should have put "" around battle. I just think it would be interesting to see St. Louis next to O'Byrne just from the size difference between the two. From what I remember of St. Louis, his ability to "turn on a dime" was an understatement, and as I think the phrase goes, in 1 v. 1 situation St. Louis could probably twist OB around in such a way that OB is left holding his jock strap.

Date: December 11, 2008 12:27PM

Rita
St. Louis could probably twist OB around in such a way that OB is left holding his jock strap.
Wait. Holding whose jock strap?

Ew.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2008 12:28PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: December 11, 2008 12:37PM

Trotsky
Rita
St. Louis could probably twist OB around in such a way that OB is left holding his jock strap.
Wait. Holding whose jock strap?

Ew.
St. Louis did go to Vermont...

Posted by: Rich S (130.156.38.---)
Date: December 11, 2008 06:55PM

Dpperk29
Rita
It would be an interesting sight to see OB and Martin St. Louis battle in front of the net (or even along the boards). popcorn

Clarkson grad Todd White '97 is a "little guy" (no taller than 5'8" regardless of the height at which he's listed) who does very well along the boards. He's had a solid NHL career because he "plays big" as coaches put it.

Whitey is built a lot like Bryan Trottier was in his playing days (although shorter) for those of you old enough to remember.

Date: December 12, 2008 11:31AM

Rich S
Dpperk29
Rita

Clarkson grad Todd White '97 is a "little guy" (no taller than 5'8" regardless of the height at which he's listed) who does very well along the boards. He's had a solid NHL career because he "plays big" as coaches put it.

Whitey is built a lot like Bryan Trottier was in his playing days (although shorter) for those of you old enough to remember.
White is also ~20 pounds heavier than St. Louis based on official listings. In part he plays bigger because he actually is bigger. Not to take anything away from the career he's had, of course, just thought it bore mentioning.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.mis.prserv.net)
Date: December 13, 2008 07:32PM

Watching "Hockey Night in Canada" tonite - Caps vs Habs. O'Byrne is playing, but so far not a lot of ice time.

Edit: and he gets a rest. 5 mins for fighting with Brooks Laich.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2008 07:43PM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

McKee recalled to Iowa (AHL) on 12/16
Posted by: sah67 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2008 12:57AM

David McKee was recalled to the Iowa Chops (AHL) from Bakersfield (ECHL) on 12/16.

Re: McKee recalled to Iowa (AHL) on 12/16
Posted by: Cactus12 (---.med.nyu.edu)
Date: December 17, 2008 01:52AM

I think it's just because Giguere is on bereavement leave.

Date: December 17, 2008 02:12AM

Cactus12

It would be interesting if Hiller got injured, leaving Anaheim to call up McKee to back up Leneveu. Although I don't know where the other Iowa goalie stands in the mix. Can't be any worse than the Caps dressing a website producer with some goalie experience during the first period of a game last week while waiting for their AHL backup to arrive ;)

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 17, 2008 02:14AM

sah67
Cactus12

It would be interesting if Hiller got injured, leaving Anaheim to call up McKee to back up Leneveu. Although I don't know where the other Iowa goalie stands in the mix. Can't be any worse than the Caps dressing a website producer with some goalie experience during the first period of a game last week while waiting for their AHL backup to arrive ;)
Hiller played pretty well against the Rangers tonight; I was hoping he'd play like crap for two entirely separate reasons.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.sip.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 17, 2008 09:42AM

Matt Moulson is rehabbing and hopes to be back after Christmas:

[www.unionleader.com]

He also mentions Chris heading to Cornell next fall, and former linemates playing in the AHL.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: December 17, 2008 09:57AM

Chris Moulson will be 21 when he begins his eligibility.

When was the last time we had a freshman that old? Denis Ladouceur?

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 17, 2008 10:09AM

Jordan 04

When was the last time we had a freshman that old? Denis Ladouceur?

Doug Krantz

Date: December 17, 2008 10:35AM

Jordan 04

When was the last time we had a freshman that old?

Meh. Bertrand was, what, 40? :-D

Alumni in Europe December 2008
Date: December 17, 2008 11:16AM

If I recall correctly, someone posted something similar not too long ago, but since I was reading up on this on my own last night anyway, I figured I'd post what I'd found...

Mike Knoepfli has been playing in Switzerland the four seasons since he graduated. This season he's with Fribourg-Gotteron and has 16 points through the first 34 games.

After two seasons with the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs, Dan Pegoraro is now playing in Italy for Asiago HC. He's got 12 points in 21 games but the team is in last place.

Cam Abbott and Chris Abbott played with Pegoraro for Bossier-Shreveport in 2006-07 and have also since also moved on to Europe. They're playing together (naturally) for Rogle of the Swedish Elite League and are the only players on their team not from Northern Europe. Jeremy Downs was also on that same Bossier-Shreveport team and played in France for Strasbourg last year but doesn't appear to be playing anywhere this year.

Charlie Cook had what seemed to be a good season with the Binghamton Senators in 2006-07, with 35 points in 74 games, so it's a bit surprising to see that he's bounced around to five different clubs in Europe over the last two seasons. At the moment he's with Rauman Lukko of the Finnish SM-liiga.

That's it for the most recent era of Cornell players, but looking back a bit further, we see:

Tony Bergin has played for a variety of teams around the North American minors and Europe over the last ten years and is currently playing for the Tilburg Trappers in the Netherlands. Last year Bergin's teammates included Doug Stienstra, who doesn't appear to be playing anywhere this year, and Harvard grad (boooo) Brendan Bernakevitch.

Prior to his move to the Netherlands, Bergin was a teammate of P.C. Drouin at Morzine-Avoriaz in France. Drouin has since moved back to the USA and is now playing with the Fort Wayne Komets, with whom he won the Turner Cup as IHL champions last year. Even as an older guy than the majority of his team, Drouin can still put the puck in the net; he leads the team in goals scored this season. (Yes, I know that was off topic, but it was interesting.)

Finally (unless I'm missing people), Jean-Marc Pelletier is currently the starting goalie for the Hamburg Freezers in Germany.

Re: Alumni in Europe December 2008
Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: December 17, 2008 12:24PM

Josh '99
Cam Abbott and Chris Abbott played with Pegoraro for Bossier-Shreveport in 2006-07 and have also since also moved on to Europe. They're playing together (naturally) for Rogle of the Swedish Elite League and are the only players on their team not from Northern Europe. Jeremy Downs was also on that same Bossier-Shreveport team and played in France for Strasbourg last year but doesn't appear to be playing anywhere this year.

Is that the same RogleBK that Vesce played for during the 04-05 season?

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: pfibiger (---.sip.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 17, 2008 01:10PM

This is awesome. I did something similar for a while last year, here's the list:

[elf.elynah.com]

Looks like you got everyone playing in Europe.

Date: December 17, 2008 02:16PM

Josh '99
If I recall correctly, someone posted something similar not too long ago, but since I was reading up on this on my own last night anyway, I figured I'd post what I'd found...

Slightly related: I didn't realize Ryan Vesce had returned to the US after playing in Europe last year and is currently doing well in the AHL for the Worcester Sharks, with a line of 7-17-24 in 28 games.

Date: December 17, 2008 03:37PM

French Rage
Josh '99

Is that the same RogleBK that Vesce played for during the 04-05 season?
Yes, although they were playing in the second-tier Allsvenskan when Vesce was there and are now playing in the first-tier Elitserien. (Like European club soccer, many European countries' domestic hockey leagues have promotion/relegation.)

Incidentally, Cam and Chris are two of a handful of players on Rogle's current roster who don't have at least basic Wikipedia pages. If anyone has a chance, it'd be nice to start them.

Posted by: tretiak (---.state.gov)
Date: December 17, 2008 03:42PM

garman is 21

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 18, 2008 12:05AM

sah67
Josh '99

Slightly related: I didn't realize Ryan Vesce had returned to the US after playing in Europe last year and is currently doing well in the AHL for the Worcester Sharks, with a line of 7-17-24 in 28 games.

Alongside 43-year old Claude Lemiuex as I learned in this week's SI.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2008 08:46AM

Trotsky
Jordan 04

When was the last time we had a freshman that old?

Meh. Bertrand was, what, 40? :-D
Dick Bertrand '70 was 25 when he enrolled. (24?) And watched the 1970 title game from the bench. That was when the NCAA was stuffy about not allowing older foreigners to participate in post-season play. I think the forum has had this discussion before, but the NCAA's possibly good intention of keeping someone with 15 years on the Red Army team from tearing up the WCHA for a couple years became a form of discriminatation against non 18-22 U.S. born athletes.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: December 19, 2008 02:04PM

Thread about Mike Knoepfli signing contract extension [www.network54.com]

Posted by: The Rancor (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2008 11:31AM

Pokulok listed as 'inactive' on the SC Stingray's website. I guess I am ready to come to terms that he is totally completely finished. Sorry, Sasha. Tough break (no pun intended).

Posted by: mgl11 (---.77.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: December 21, 2008 11:47AM

Sasha is up with the Hershey in the AHL.

Posted by: The Rancor (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2008 02:30PM

hmm... some how I missed that... i guess my coffee was broken today.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.119.252.64.snet.net)
Date: December 21, 2008 02:37PM

Ryan Kindret is playing his second season with the Kalamazoo Wings of the IHL.

[www.wingsstadium.com]

He's only played in two of Wings' 24 games.

AitP 12/2008 - M Moulson clips
Date: December 23, 2008 03:49PM

Video feature of the week from the most recent Manchester Monarchs PR email:

Matt Moulson - Desire

Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 30, 2008 09:37AM

Iggulden mentions time at CU:

[iptv.soundtigers.com]

(Might have to click on "What's Ticking - Mike Iggulden" over to the right.)

Posted by: jkahn (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: December 30, 2008 10:46AM

I spoke with an Islander scout Sunday in Estero. I told him they should call up Iggy. He mentioned that he had spent some time with Mike a few days ago - "really nice kid" is how he described him, but didn't really respond to the call up idea. I told him that Mike was great on the penalty kill for us, and they have nothing to lose by giving him a shot (except, and I didn't think quick enough to say this, they could lose first draft choice).

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 01, 2009 12:20PM

O'Byrne sent down to Hamilton yesterday.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 03, 2009 01:53PM

jkahn
I spoke with an Islander scout Sunday in Estero. I told him they should call up Iggy. He mentioned that he had spent some time with Mike a few days ago - "really nice kid" is how he described him, but didn't really respond to the call up idea. I told him that Mike was great on the penalty kill for us, and they have nothing to lose by giving him a shot (except, and I didn't think quick enough to say this, they could lose first draft choice).
What's surprising to me is they've brought up and tried so many forwards, but not the 6'3" kid leading the team in scoring who's a great penalty killer.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 03, 2009 01:54PM

Al DeFlorio
O'Byrne sent down to Hamilton yesterday.
I wonder if he's done with Montreal. Things went south in a hurry.

Re: O'Byrne
Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2009 04:51PM

The news is from December, so I'll stick with this thread. Here's the Canadiens' press relase on O'Byrne's demotion.

Posted by: nr53 (---.mycingular.net)
Date: January 03, 2009 06:43PM

RatushnyFan
What's surprising to me is they've brought up and tried so many forwards, but not the 6'3" kid leading the team in scoring who's a great penalty killer.

I remember hearing some grumbles from sharks fans last year about his attitude and work ethic so I'm not sure what to think about it. I hope he gets a shot sometime, he was always fun to watch at lynah.

Date: January 06, 2009 05:05PM

Speculation in The Hamilton Speculator Spectator was that it would be a short stint. Let's hope for O'B that it is.

Garry McKay, The Hamilton Spectator
O'Byrne was pretty happy about getting to play with the Bulldogs tonight and tomorrow evening.

The 6-foot-6, 228-pounder is here on a conditioning stint. It can't be any longer than a couple of weeks and could be as little as a few days.

[www.thespec.com]

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 06, 2009 05:44PM

crodger1
Speculation in The Hamilton Speculator Spectator was that it would be a short stint. Let's hope for O'B that it is.

Garry McKay, The Hamilton Spectator
O'Byrne was pretty happy about getting to play with the Bulldogs tonight and tomorrow evening.

The 6-foot-6, 228-pounder is here on a conditioning stint. It can't be any longer than a couple of weeks and could be as little as a few days.

[www.thespec.com]

If he was sent down officially for conditioning I believe the stay is limited to 2 weeks. This is probably the case because I think he has a 1-way contract this year so if they actually sent him down he would have to go through the waiver wire and I imagine someone would pick him up.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login