Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Clarkson Brainstorming Fun

Posted by BMac 
Clarkson Brainstorming Fun
Posted by: BMac (132.236.215.---)
Date: December 01, 2008 08:16PM

Clarkson's uniforms have apparently gotten even uglier.

Although I strongly support green-and-gold uniforms in certain occasions, hockey is definitely, definitely not one of them. We have had some fun making fun of uniforms recently; recetly, Darmouth was informed that they look just like ninja turtles, without the ninja part. In fact, I also mentioned how they have the ugliest uniforms I've ever seen, other than Clarkson. (That's an overstatement, but I don't go to Lynah to be fair to the opposition).

In any case, brainstorm! I like the article's use of 'caution tape' and 'moon boots.' I will add that they look like Michigan, other than the green, the ugly, the lack of females, and the bad at hockey thing. Discuss.

Re: Clarkson Brainstorming Fun
Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2008 08:17PM

BMac

Although I strongly support green-and-gold uniforms in certain occasions, hockey is definitely, definitely not one of them. We have had some fun making fun of uniforms recently; recetly, Darmouth was informed that they look just like ninja turtles, without the ninja part. In fact, I also mentioned how they have the ugliest uniforms I've ever seen, other than Clarkson. (That's an overstatement, but I don't go to Lynah to be fair to the opposition).

In any case, brainstorm! I like the article's use of 'caution tape' and 'moon boots.' I will add that they look like Michigan, other than the green, the ugly, the lack of females, and the bad at hockey thing. Discuss.

Clarkson's Green road jersey's are the same as they have been for the last several years, sorry to disappoint.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2008 11:37PM

FWIW, Brazil's actual uniforms are yellow and blue, not green and gold.

(Yes, I know that wasn't your point.)

Posted by: daredevilcu (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2008 12:15AM

Despite that, have fun eating this team alive. I haven't seen anything that makes me think they'll do even remotely well on the road this weekend, it's been a very disappointing season so far. At least the 3rd jerseys look half-decent.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2008 12:48AM

daredevilcu
At least the 3rd jerseys look half-decent.

The Harley-Davidson ones?

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2008 02:18AM

daredevilcu
have fun eating this team alive
As an undergrad in his senior year, and having seen plenty of great hockey played between us and our #2 rival Clarkson, I am very disappointed to see the Golden Knights having such a rough time this year. Clarkson's student fans and their pep band have also added to the fun at Lynah in recent years, but I can only hope that they will care enough to make the trip on Friday (and I won't blame them if they don't come).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2008 02:21AM by imafrshmn.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2008 06:42AM

imafrshmn
(and I won't blame them if they don't come).

it is also the weekend before finals @ Clarkson, makes me think there will be a smaller traveling contingent.

Date: December 02, 2008 09:38AM

There are about 30 people from the band going, from what I understand. I'd like to make the trip, but I can't. I wouldn't expect a whole lot of fans besides the band, unfortunately.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 02, 2008 10:13AM

daredevilcu
Despite that, have fun eating this team alive.
That's too bad. When I was a student (94-98), Clarkson was our "real" rival, in the sense that they were the other team we were consistently in the title hunt with during Harvard's dark ages. That, and they brought a band and some fans, which made each of those games at Lynah a real raucous time. I hope you guys resume your winning ways and help make this albatross of a conference a little stronger and more fun. :-)

Posted by: Drew (199.43.48.---)
Date: December 02, 2008 10:41AM

daredevilcu

BLASPHEMY! fight

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: December 02, 2008 10:45AM

Kyle Rose
daredevilcu
That's too bad. When I was a student (94-98), Clarkson was our "real" rival, in the sense that they were the other team we were consistently in the title hunt with during Harvard's dark ages.

Well, 95-98, anyway. :-)

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: December 02, 2008 01:13PM

Dpperk29
imafrshmn
(and I won't blame them if they don't come).

it is also the weekend before finals @ Clarkson, makes me think there will be a smaller traveling contingent.
I would blame them. You don't give up on your team just because they've had a bad month or two, or because this season doesn't look promising. That's when the real fans stand out. Spoken as someone who first attended a Cornell game during the miserable 92-93 campaign and was hooked.

(Finals may be a decent reason to skip a particular road trip. But the point still holds.)

Date: December 02, 2008 01:20PM

BMac
I will never understand why sports teams feel the need to constantly change their uniforms. Especially teams that have been around a long time and have some tradition/history. Pick a classic, clean look and stick with it. Trying to keep up with the times usually ends up with more horrible aberations than successes.

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: December 02, 2008 01:35PM

Kyle Rose
daredevilcu
That's too bad. When I was a student (94-98), Clarkson was our "real" rival, in the sense that they were the other team we were consistently in the title hunt with during Harvard's dark ages. That, and they brought a band and some fans, which made each of those games at Lynah a real raucous time. I hope you guys resume your winning ways after this Friday night and help make this albatross of a conference a little stronger and more fun. :-)

FYP

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: December 02, 2008 01:39PM

You don't say?

I agree with not changing jerseys, but I don't think the new Clarkson one is all that bad (at least compared to recent attempts). *cough*mustard*cough*

Posted by: ben03 (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 02, 2008 08:16PM

does anyone have a photo record of the Golden Knights jerseypalooza?

subway anyone?

edit: see here for history but i feel this is missing some the latest atrocities

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2008 08:31PM by ben03.

Date: December 02, 2008 10:19PM

Oh don't worry, the band is still coming. And now thanks to some extra effort this week to get work out of the way before finals, so am I! I'm looking forward to getting a good drunk on either before or after the game with some quality hockey fans. Gonna be a good time, even if we get smoked.

Posted by: BMac (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2008 10:52PM

Josh

I'm going to have to disagree with you here... as the resident Brazilian citizen on ELynah and the guy who happens to have a six-foot flag and both the regular and alternate jerseys hanging in his room, I think I'm qualified to say that the primary uniforms are gold with a green trim. Technically, it's canary yellow, not gold. But the yellow in the flag represents gold anyways, so feh.

The alternate jersey is blue.

You may have meant that the (two different) jerseys are (mostly) yellow and (mostly) blue, respectively. In any case, :-)

In Portuguese, we say "o verde e amarelo," or "the green and yellow," as a way to referring to the team.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2008 10:55PM by BMac.

Posted by: LaJollaRed (---.hsd1.dc.comcast.net)
Date: December 03, 2008 12:53AM

AHem:

Wearing that jersey would have sent a worse example to the kids than forfeiting.

Date: December 03, 2008 01:00AM

BMac
Josh

I'm going to have to disagree with you here... as the resident Brazilian citizen on ELynah and the guy who happens to have a six-foot flag and both the regular and alternate jerseys hanging in his room, I think I'm qualified to say that the primary uniforms are gold with a green trim. Technically, it's canary yellow, not gold. But the yellow in the flag represents gold anyways, so feh.

The alternate jersey is blue.

You may have meant that the (two different) jerseys are (mostly) yellow and (mostly) blue, respectively. In any case, :-)

In Portuguese, we say "o verde e amarelo," or "the green and yellow," as a way to referring to the team.
Actually, I meant yellow (canary yellow per your post) shirts and blue shorts. Now that you clear it up I see what you meant when you said green and yellow though.

I thought the team was generally referred to as the selecao (pretend I put forth the effort to find the ASCII code for the c with the squiggly under it and the a with the tilde) though.

(Sorry for the thread drift, everyone else.)

Posted by: RichH (76.28.11.---)
Date: December 03, 2008 03:26AM

CowbellGuy
You don't say?

I agree with not changing jerseys, but I don't think the new Clarkson one is all that bad (at least compared to recent attempts). *cough*mustard*cough*

The attempt that Clarkson made to use actual metallic gold...the year we played them in the finally dead Syracuse Hockey Invitational Tournament was hideous. I love some of the traditional-looking Clarkson jerseys, but seriously...way too many changes from year-to-year.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2008 03:27AM by RichH.

Posted by: BMac (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2008 07:08AM

Ooooh, ok. Gotcha, shorts. :-)

The team is normally referred to as "a seleção," you're correct. When referring to the team colors, it's "o verde e amarelo."

We can both be right. Yay!

(Why am I up at 7am??)

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: December 04, 2008 09:37AM

KeithK
BMac
I will never understand why sports teams feel the need to constantly change their uniforms. Especially teams that have been around a long time and have some tradition/history. Pick a classic, clean look and stick with it.

Money. More uniforms means more pinheads buying third jerseys, alternate jerseys, special occasion jerseys, etc.

Date: December 04, 2008 12:37PM

Trotsky
KeithK
BMac
I will never understand why sports teams feel the need to constantly change their uniforms. Especially teams that have been around a long time and have some tradition/history. Pick a classic, clean look and stick with it.

Money. More uniforms means more pinheads buying third jerseys, alternate jerseys, special occasion jerseys, etc.

Yet somehow the Yankees, who haven't changed their uniform in any significant way in something like 70 years, still manage to make piles of money on merchandising. They even sell loads of alternate color jerseys and hats and such all without the team wearing them on the field (I'm not counting spring training here).

Yes, the Yankees may not be representative. But it still makes me think that a consistent look on the playing field/ice makes does a better job of establishing and maintaining a brand than constant changes. But maybe I'm just projecting my preferences onto everyone else.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.innovestsystems.com)
Date: December 04, 2008 12:58PM

KeithK
Yet somehow the Yankees, who haven't changed their uniform in any significant way in something like 70 years, still manage to make piles of money on merchandising. They even sell loads of alternate color jerseys and hats and such all without the team wearing them on the field (I'm not counting spring training here).

Yes, the Yankees may not be representative. But it still makes me think that a consistent look on the playing field/ice makes does a better job of establishing and maintaining a brand than constant changes. But maybe I'm just projecting my preferences onto everyone else.

How much of that is due to the perception that the Yankees are always among the best teams in baseball?

Personally, I like the happy medium of having set home and road jerseys and coming up with a new third Jersey every so often.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: December 04, 2008 01:14PM

KeithK
But maybe I'm just projecting my preferences onto everyone else.
You are, but you're also correct.

Aesthetically, third jerseys are almost always a disaster, since they're marketed as smash and grab, novelty items. In fact, a horrendous train wreck of a jersey suits marketing purposes more than a low key, traditional one. Nothing is a greater sin than "boring" in an infantilized culture.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2008 01:14PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: December 04, 2008 03:26PM

Dpperk29
KeithK

How much of that is due to the perception that the Yankees are always among the best teams in baseball?

Personally, I like the happy medium of having set home and road jerseys and coming up with a new third Jersey every so often.

If the team is doing better, it's easy to sell alot of merchandise due to the increased fanbase due to onfield success. You'll notice it seems to be the Arizona Cardinals or Toronto Blue Jays of the world that are constantly changing their uniforms, because really how else will they get people to buy new jerseys?

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.innovestsystems.com)
Date: December 04, 2008 03:42PM

French Rage
Dpperk29
KeithK

If the team is doing better, it's easy to sell alot of merchandise due to the increased fanbase due to onfield success. You'll notice it seems to be the Arizona Cardinals or Toronto Blue Jays of the world that are constantly changing their uniforms, because really how else will they get people to buy new jerseys?

develop talent and win games?

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: December 04, 2008 05:10PM

I like the Flyers' latest approach. Their "new" third jersey is a throwback to the ones worn during the Broad Street Bullies era (though more orange than the unis back then). And as a traditionalist, I like that they keep the same logo.

But if they try to bring back the long pants...yark

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: December 04, 2008 05:50PM

Trotsky

Yeah, but considering that Clarkson is a pretty small fanbase (comparatively to other teams that make tons of jerseys. See next paragraph), do they really expect this to be a significant windfall? You have Ma and Pa Potsdam who bought jerseys in the mid-90s that they still wear to games, and then every four years you pretty much have a complete turnover of students, and they'll buy the jerseys & merch. from their time in the Northcountry and keep them and wear them to reunions and other alumni gatherings.

This is no slight to Clarkson. For their size and location, they have a wonderful following. Compare them to say, Michigan, Minnesota, and North Dakota, where they have the attention of an entire state of people who have no connection whatsoever to the University...hanging on every move the team makes and every marketing gimmicky change they make to the logo and/or uniforms, it PAYS BIG to make 18 different styles with block logos and script logos and dazzle fabrics and diagonal stripes and special throwbacks and glow-in-the-dark and and and...

Maybe it just happens to be who teams have working in their sports marketing department at the time. Like the arena announcer who acts like he's working for the CHICAAAAGOOOOOOOOOOO BULLLLLLLS!!!! When announcing in front of 450 people in Starr Rink or at Quinnipiac U, the people making the decision of what unis to get decide to follow trends rather than tradition. "Yo, we could be like Syracuse or North Carolina if we got THIS!"

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 04, 2008 08:30PM

RichH
This is no slight to Clarkson. For their size and location, they have a wonderful following. Compare them to say, Michigan, Minnesota, and North Dakota, where they have the attention of an entire state of people who have no connection whatsoever to the University...hanging on every move the team makes...

Well, I don't think you can put Michigan in that category. Yes it is big time, but they certainly have multiple competing school fan bases. Most of those wouldn't be caught dead in Michigan gear.

Date: December 04, 2008 10:49PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
But if they try to bring back the long pants...yark
Those were pretty awful.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login