Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell @ North Dakota 11/28 Post-Game

Posted by Omie 
Cornell @ North Dakota 11/28 Post-Game
Posted by: Omie (216.4.149.---)
Date: November 28, 2008 11:26PM

Well once again, the Big Red managed to embarass itself against a struggling team on national TV. Awesome. The first period was great but otherwise the team was not completely there. The Greening and Kennedy lines played great and showed a lot of hustle but the Defense was just not there. They all were horrible. Scrivens once again just took a break during the Thanksgiving game and the defenseman just stood there. Let's just hope Schafer lights a fire under their a**es and they show up tomorrow.

Three stars for the game:
3. Jillson
2. Greening
1. R. Nash

Three black holes for the game:
3. M. Devin/T. Davenport
2. B. Nash
1. Scrivens

Re: Cornell @ North Dakota 11/28 Post-Game
Posted by: cbuckser (---.dsl.scrm01.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 28, 2008 11:33PM

After playing very well in the first period, almost all of the first 10 minutes of the second period were played in the Cornell end. Three restraining fouls and an underpenalized hit from behind later, North Dakota took the lead for good. Things snowballed in the third period, while Cornell continued to chase North Dakota in the defensive zone.

North Dakota is a much more skilled team than any other Cornell played in its first six games. Coming into the weekend, I thought that these games would tell us something about whether Cornell is a great team or just a good team in a mediocre conference. The former seemed true during the first period.

Despite the ugly second and third periods, we should keep things in perspective. Banging our heads against the wall won't do anybody any good.

Posted by: Cornell11 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 28, 2008 11:39PM

cbuckser

Despite the ugly second and third periods, we should keep things in perspective. Banging our heads against the wall won't do anybody any good.

I'm a New York sports fan- I can't help it

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.midco.net)
Date: November 28, 2008 11:46PM

Well the hollywood production, I mean hockey game was great in the first period and not so much later on. They actually played Phil Collins to pump up the crowd before the game. The fans were pathetic, only cheered when the PA system told them to clap their hands or after goals. Basically looked like we played really well for the first period and a bit of a stretch in the third, but forgot what we were doing the rest of the way. Was the penalty on Riley to go down on the 5x3 really a holding penalty? From the rink it looked like he lost his stick, then put 2 hands on the guys back and just shoved him down, but I didn't have the benefit of a zoomed in instant replay. If we had killed that 5x3, or not had that bad line change right after Riley's breakaway, I think this game would have been a lot closer.

Posted by: Oat (---.c3-0.avec-ubr11.nyr-avec.ny.cable.rcn.com)
Date: November 28, 2008 11:46PM

Who said their offense was struggling? They scored all kinds of goals tonight.

-banging in rebounds
-beating the goalie low and high
-screening and sniping
-deflection in the air
-just crashing the net
-etc

If Mugford and Ross were not injured and had skated tonight, would things have been different?

If it were David Mckee in the goal, would we have won?

Posted by: ebilmes (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: November 29, 2008 01:40AM

Tomorrow night's game will to a large extent dictate how the rest of the season goes. If we can continue to play as well as we have against the rest of the ECAC, then it's safe to say Cornell will be thrown into the NCAA mix at the end of year. How we're perceived nationally at that point -- either as a legitimate national contender or yet another overrated eastern team -- will be based largely on this weekend's games.

Over the last couple years it seems Cornell has squandered every opportunity to assert itself in the limelight. After months of anticipation, Cornell came out totally flat last year against BU. They also lost three times to Harvard, missing every opportunity to reverse the momentum of the Red-Crimson rivalry. Anyone want to look up our record in nationally televised games over the last couple years?

We are still riding on the coattails of our successes in the earlier part of the decade. The NoDak announcers knew this and kept trying to link Scrivens to McKee and Leneveu before him, and Dryden before them. Similarly, at MSG last year, we were regaled with footage of past Cornell successes, especially great goaltending, only to surrender six goals. Tonight, the announcers seemed downright puzzled as their traditional Cornell talking point -- our stingy defense -- evaporated.

I was disgusted to read this quote from the team's blog:

It seemed like every bounce went North Dakota's way, which is going to happen over the course of the season.

You can't use luck as a cover for terrible play. However, the next line is spot on:

The best thing that can be said is that unlike last year's loss to Boston University at Madison Square Garden, we'll get another crack at North Dakota tomorrow night.

As much as it sucks to give up 7 goals, we've got to stick with the team we have. In Scrivens's next game after the MSG debacle, against UMass, he posted a 45 save shutout. Put him back out there tomorrow night and let him know he's still our guy. It is not so important whether he maintains his eye-popping numbers as whether he can play a great game when the team needs him to. Tomorrow night is that game. Let's go home with a win.

P.S. Bench Nash and Devin. You know which ones.

Posted by: JDeafv (68.178.43.---)
Date: November 29, 2008 03:15AM

At least our new ND "friends" were shocked at "the presence" Cornell fans had at The Vomit.

Posted by: Cornell95 (---.c3-0.frm-ubr3.sbo-frm.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: November 29, 2008 03:25AM

from the TV coverage (I didnt have audio, apparently sports bars are doing Friday night Karaoke these days?)... you wouldnt have known there was a single Cornell fan, or even anyone wearing something red wtf

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 29, 2008 08:36AM

Cornell95
from the TV coverage (I didnt have audio, apparently sports bars are doing Friday night Karaoke these days?)... you wouldnt have known there was a single Cornell fan, or even anyone wearing something red wtf

There was that lady wearing a red UND sweatshirt. Apparently she didn't know the colors of the other team playing.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.sub-75-198-24.myvzw.com)
Date: November 29, 2008 09:45AM

Cornell95

The coverage showed the Cornell section briefly after each of Cornell's first two goals. I don't think they did after Cornell's third goal, but they may have.

And listening closely I could definitely hear a faint "red" during the national anthem. I also thought I heard a "Let's Go Red" chant early in the first period.

Considering that there were probably 100-150 Cornell fans in a rink of over 10,000 I'd say that's not too bad.

Posted by: redice (---.154.222.54.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: November 29, 2008 09:55AM

Jacob '06
Was the penalty on Riley to go down on the 5x3 really a holding penalty? From the rink it looked like he lost his stick, then put 2 hands on the guys back and just shoved him down, but I didn't have the benefit of a zoomed in instant replay.

I believe that was Brendon (not Riley). Yes, it did look like he closed his hands on the back of the ND player's equipment and pulled him down. I would call that holding; admittedly in a strange sort of way.

Posted by: The Rancor (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: November 29, 2008 10:08AM

I thought they looked exciting in the first period. The power Play looked great, to the point of me cheering at the TV. then it sort of... evaporated. Embarrassing, to say the least. a decisive win is important for the team tonight.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2008 10:48AM

ebilmes
Tomorrow night's game will to a large extent dictate how the rest of the season goes....
How we're perceived nationally at that point -- either as a legitimate national contender or yet another overrated eastern team -- will be based largely on this weekend's games.[/q]

I don't think we are a legitimate national contender this year, but we still have a number of chances to cement a good NCAA bid.

[q]Anyone want to look up our record in nationally televised games over the last couple years?

Of course most of the time we get national TV is because we are playing a national power. Then the chance of losing is obviously a lot larger.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2008 10:50AM

The Rancor
I thought they looked exciting in the first period. The power Play looked great, to the point of me cheering at the TV. then it sort of... evaporated. Embarrassing, to say the least. a decisive win is important for the team tonight.

Yeah, I'd almost accept a 7-3 loss if we just looked outclassed the whole night against a team. But it was awfully frustrating to look really sharp in the first period -- especially on the offensive end -- and then have it all completely disappear.

Still have one more to play though. A lot can be redeemed tonight.

In the string of penalties that led to the 5x3, I was most frustrated by the initial hooking on Roeszler. It really sticks in my craw when the ref standing right next to the play and watching it doesn't call anything, but the penalty comes from a ref halfway down the ice. The boarding and holding were completely legitimate, IMO. I can now see where all the comments wondering where (B.) Nash's head has been this year come from. His turnover leading to the 4th goal was inexcusable.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2008 10:56AM by Jordan 04.

Date: November 29, 2008 10:57AM

Check out the shot charts from The Grand Forks Herald. The third period looks awful.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 29, 2008 12:16PM

The Rancor
a decisive win is important for the team tonight.
That's an exaggeration. Not looking like shit is imperative; a win is important; a decisive win would be nice.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 29, 2008 12:31PM

ugarte
The Rancor
a decisive win is important for the team tonight.
That's an exaggeration. Not looking like shit is imperative; a win is important; a decisive win would be nice.
I'll take looking like shit and winning, thanks. ;-)

Posted by: dragonfan (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2008 02:26PM

Cornell did not play there type of game all night not in the first ,second or third.That type of run and gun ,put it all on net will not work.We need to have better puck controle and slow the game down.

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: November 29, 2008 02:34PM

I too was very disappointed with the outcome of the game especially considering how well they played in the 1st period. Even after the 2nd period, and being down a goal, I thought we were still very much in the game.

The defensive lapses (and penalties) really hurt. Solid defense is our bread and butter and as past seasons have shown, our D needs both the defensemen and the goalie.

When we got the puck in UND's zone, I thought the offense did a fine job moving the puck and getting quality shots on goal.

What were the defensive pairings last night? In the first period it seemed like Mike Devin was paired with Krueger, but later it seemed like Devin and B. Nash were paired up. I don't think the latter is a good combination.

I hope our guys come back strong tonight and put "Be disciplined" (with respect to penalties and covering their man) at the top of the tonight's to do list.

For those that bought the FSSN internet video feed, is it worth the $9.95? Or should I just listen to Cornell's audio feed? The latter might be better if we get the same defensive effort tonight.

LGR!

Posted by: ryeguy (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2008 03:27PM

ebilmes

I'd say Davenport. Although the D was on Thanksgiving break all night, Scrivens included. Hope for a better show tonight.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.sub-70-208-232.myvzw.com)
Date: November 29, 2008 03:42PM

Rita
For those that bought the FSSN internet video feed, is it worth the $9.95? Or should I just listen to Cornell's audio feed? The latter might be better if we get the same defensive effort tonight.

LGR!

I used it last night, and plan on using it again tonight, so for $5.00 per game I'd say it was well worth it. There was some stuttering, but it wasn't a big deal, and it was usually only the video that would pause, while we still got play by play audio. There's a thread about the quality of the broadcast, and the (minor) problems we experienced last night.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2008 05:21PM

Jordan 04
It really sticks in my craw when the ref standing right next to the play and watching it doesn't call anything, but the penalty comes from a ref halfway down the ice.

Often times the plays that happen right infront of an official are the hardest to call. when you are close to the play, as an official you have to be much more aware of where your feet are, where all the players are, where the puck is, and most of all, where the player/puck is going. it also, simply do to the geometry of a humans field of vision, being close to the play makes it much more difficult to see everything.

All that being said, I didn't see the play or the officials position with respect to the play

Date: November 29, 2008 05:47PM

I didn't want to start an other ECAC thread since I can't keep it up, but Princeton losing (not loosing :))to Mercyhurst 4-0 and Conn over Brown 3-0. :(

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 29, 2008 06:27PM

ryeguy
ebilmes

I'd say Davenport. Although the D was on Thanksgiving break all night, Scrivens included. Hope for a better show tonight.
Clearly, Kier Ross is the keystone of the defense... B-]

Posted by: Tom Tone (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2008 06:29PM

Princeton tied it up in the third with 2 extra attacker goals, only to fall 6-4 with 2 M'hurst goals in the last 2 minutes.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2008 08:21PM

Game photos from the Grand Forks Herald.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login