Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Harvard Post-game

Posted by Jim Hyla 
Harvard Post-game
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 22, 2008 12:39AM

Best game I've seen them play all year. Obviously their puck handling was markedly better than the last few games. it was nice to see a win where we outplayed the other team, rather than the last few games where it seemed that at times we were brilliant, but they were too infrequent. Whereas with those games we scored enough to win or tie, but gave up many too many shots; here we controlled most of the play and won while out shooting them.

It's also nice to see the team rise up when Scrivens makes a mistake, as we all know he will, and not have to rely upon him to win. Aside from his mistake, I thought he played a good, not great game.

The PP was the best I've seen. Yes they had some terrifying problems getting out of their own end at times, but they tried many different options to score. I think their chances to score on the PP were very good. If they continue to improve, that could be a good part of their game.

The PK was good like usual. Harvard could control the puck, but not a lot of great chances. We were much more disciplined about not taking penalties.

Our main weakness is still getting out of our own end. All too often we turn it over. We seem to have a number of different plays, but still get caught. I think the problem is we are stationary waiting for a pass to come and by the time it does, Harvard was also there. We have to try and keep moving while we are trying to break out. Being flat-footed is a sure way to loose the puck.

Does anyone know what Donato was saying or upset about that caused the ref to come racing to their bench to talk to him? It almost seemed like someone on their bench said something to the ref as he went by and the ref came back to lay it into them.

The disputed goal to my view did not go in. It hit the line and bounced but never over. Why they couldn't have tried to talk or hand signal at the goal judge's box is beyond me. A simple question with thumbs up or down would have seemed to give an answer. I'm just glad we won without having to have that goal. Can you imagine what it would have been like if he overturned the ref and that was the important goal?

If this is the kind of improvement we can see as the season goes on, then we should have an enjoyable year. Coach certainly can use this game as an example of what they can do if they work at it. So much more intense than either Colgate game.

Now we have to turn around and do it again.

Re: Harvard Post-game
Posted by: dietlbomb (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 22, 2008 12:57AM

This game looked like a huge mismatch. We were on and they were totally off.

I could hear the drums from section D tonight during Gary Glitter. Usually they're too quiet. Were there more percussionists than normal?

Re: Harvard Post-game -- a note about fish
Posted by: hockeychick470 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 22, 2008 01:27AM

As happy as I was to not feel threatened by being patted down and having seemingly unnecessary bag checks... the total lack of fish detection/search kind of took the sport out of sneaking fish in. But as a senior I was ecstatic to finally have a second win over harvard at Lynah... hopefully we will have a repeat at Lynah East in February.

LGR!!!

Posted by: Flyers1037 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 22, 2008 01:46AM

dietlbomb
I could hear the drums from section D tonight during Gary Glitter. Usually they're too quiet. Were there more percussionists than normal?

The quad player from the last 2 years is back on quads as of tonight which contributes the most to you being able to hear the drums.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: November 22, 2008 06:23AM

Jim Hyla
Does anyone know what Donato was saying or upset about that caused the ref to come racing to their bench to talk to him? It almost seemed like someone on their bench said something to the ref as he went by and the ref came back to lay it into them.

Jason's hypothesis (which seems like the right one) was that they were made because the whistle wasn't blown after one of their players got hurt blocking a shot in the sequence leading up to the goal.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: MB (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 22, 2008 06:26AM

Jim Hyla
It's also nice to see the team rise up when Scrivens makes a mistake, as we all know he will, and not have to rely upon him to win. Aside from his mistake, I thought he played a good, not great game.

Maybe not his greatest, but from the video feed, it looked like he improved a lot. His rebound control was pretty good this game, and he didn't wander out of the net too much. Both of these made me feel a lot more comfortable with him in the net than I have before.

Posted by: MattShaf (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 22, 2008 09:41AM

Well played win. Defensively we really minimized their opportunities. Strong play in the corners and very few chances from the front of the net. The offensive looked a little more lively. Strong cycling in the corners led to the first goal. The offenseman seemed to find each other more frequently than the first two games I saw (Pri and Q). BTW, Greening just exploded with the puck late in the third. Too bad he couldn't control the rebound well enough to tally the goal.
Looking forward to another strong performance tonight against an offensively productive Dartmouth game.

Posted by: CUontheslopes (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 22, 2008 11:30AM

I have to agree - we did a nice job last night controlling the game. I was most proud of our hustle and ability to win the battles along the walls. We were disciplined and showed a lot more offensive flair then I've seen in recent years. Once we got across the red line, our offense and passing looked great. On the other side of it...not so much. Brendan Nash continues to look like he has never seen a game of hockey. He's playing sloppy, turning the puck over and hitting no one. I'd give him some credit for some fancy offensive moves, but that's not his job and one time he turned it over at our blue line dekeing around someone - not smart. He needs to be reminded he plays Defense, not Wing. Once he's in the offensive end he looks more comfortable, but wow...he looks downright scary bad in the defensive end and has all season.

I thought Scrivens played a decent game - the play behind the net was terrible and inexcusable, but at least it's early in the season - rather make that mistake now than later.

As mentioned, Greening looked great, as did Gallagher. It was a shame Greening couldn't score on his great chance late in the third or the 2:1 he had with R. Nash. Nice to see Riley Nash cracking the scoresheet. He played a nice game, though the second goal was more of a scrum in front of the net - I'm not actually sure it was him who scored it, but hey, who cares.

As for the controversial non-goal, I was sitting in E and had a great look at it - definitely didn't go in. It hit the inside of the crossbar and went straight down onto the outside of the line, but not over it. From where I was sitting it wasn't really even that close, only a tiny piece of the puck ever touched the line.

I was a little disappointed at the turnout - there were still quite a few empty seats and I was shocked to hear that tix were available up until 1pm on Friday. I remember being so crunched in for Harvard games that you had to stand sideways to fit everyone in the section. It's an absolute outrage how badly the Athletic Dept. has handled this situation. When I was an undergrad we had that streak of sellouts dating back to Alabama-Huntsville. I keep asking myself if I'm just older now as a law student and less in awe or whether Lynah is actually quieter and less raucous. I've come to the conclusion it really is the latter. The rink isn't nearly as packed and that's a shame. Additionally, as has been mentioned time and time again, because of the stupid lottery, the most die hard fans do not get the tickets (or the best tickets). There's little difference between B and E (I've sat in both this season). I really think it's time we all stopped whining about the Athletic Department not having general admission and start a petition to bring it back. If we had signatures from a thousand plus season ticket holders, it'd at least get the university to re-examine their position. Just my thoughts.

All in all, though, on the ice it was a solid night. Glad we were able to get a W and look good. Just wish we could've broken through for a 4-1 or 5-1 win. We certainly had the scoring chances.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2008 11:31AM by CUontheslopes.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.sip.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 22, 2008 12:11PM

CUontheslopes
Nice to see Riley Nash cracking the scoresheet. He played a nice game, though the second goal was more of a scrum in front of the net - I'm not actually sure it was him who scored it, but hey, who cares.

They showed the replay a couple of times on the video feed. Nash spun around and backhanded it, it may have hit Hoyle's pad and then it definitely went in off Greening's skate.

Posted by: Cornell11 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 22, 2008 12:23PM

glad to see cornell take better shots on the power plays. i was getting tired of the deep slap shots from the blue line- good to see them take some higher percentage shots and crash the net for rebounds

i was sitting in row 3 of section G. i really thought the disputed goal was, in fact, a goal. i saw the replay on redcast this morning, and it wasn't conclusive one way or the other. it was unbelievable to chant "goal, goal, goal, goal" as they were checking the video. part of a spectacular 2nd period. one of the best periods ive seen in lynah.

scrivens made me nervous a couple of times, but he played a solid game.

hopefully theres no let-down tonight against dartmouth

Date: November 22, 2008 12:38PM

As much as I wish it was a goal and I chanted goal, goal, goal, it definitely wasn't. I had a perfect angle in E just on the other side of the netting. It wasn't just me who saw it that way. My roommate did as well, as did two girls next to us who had never seen a hockey game and asked me "Is that a goal? Does it count because a piece of the puck touched the line or does all of the puck have to go across the line?" I hate to admit it, but the zebras got this one right.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 22, 2008 01:16PM

Cornell11
it was unbelievable to chant "goal, goal, goal, goal" as they were checking the video.

They weren't checking any video. They called the goal judge over to the scorer's table so that he could answer a question or questions from the ref. The discussion, once the goal judge got there, was very short--perhaps 5-10 seconds.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: November 22, 2008 01:21PM

CUontheslopes
I was a little disappointed at the turnout - there were still quite a few empty seats and I was shocked to hear that tix were available up until 1pm on Friday. I remember being so crunched in for Harvard games that you had to stand sideways to fit everyone in the section. It's an absolute outrage how badly the Athletic Dept. has handled this situation. When I was an undergrad we had that streak of sellouts dating back to Alabama-Huntsville.

Part of the difference has to be the addition over 400 seats in the last renovation.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 22, 2008 01:24PM

jtwcornell91
CUontheslopes
I was a little disappointed at the turnout - there were still quite a few empty seats and I was shocked to hear that tix were available up until 1pm on Friday. I remember being so crunched in for Harvard games that you had to stand sideways to fit everyone in the section. It's an absolute outrage how badly the Athletic Dept. has handled this situation. When I was an undergrad we had that streak of sellouts dating back to Alabama-Huntsville.

Part of the difference has to be the addition over 400 seats in the last renovation.

The number of student seats sold by Athletics hasn't changed with the renovation, so there truly is a problem.

Posted by: Doug '08 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 22, 2008 01:29PM

imafrshmn
jtwcornell91
CUontheslopes

The number of student seats sold by Athletics hasn't changed with the renovation, so there truly is a problem.

I'd say the crowd at Cheel has been more raucous than Lynah for at least 2 years now.

Posted by: TimV (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 22, 2008 02:45PM

imafrshmn

Actually, that makes me think student seats have maintained and so aren't the problem, non-student seats haven't taken up the slack, No?

One of the entertaining sights last night was when some jerk tossed a fish with about 1:00 still on the clock while we were trying to hold on to a 1 goal lead. The fish landed near Seminoff, I think, who picked it up, hid it in his glove, and casually skated over to the bench to dump it.uptoupto

Posted by: mha (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 22, 2008 02:55PM

TimV
One of the entertaining sights last night was when some jerk tossed a fish with about 1:00 still on the clock while we were trying to hold on to a 1 goal lead. The fish landed near Seminoff, I think, who picked it up, hid it in his glove, and casually skated over to the bench to dump it.uptoupto

Yup, it was Jared. Quick thinking on his part! No delay, no penalty.

Posted by: upperdeck (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 22, 2008 03:00PM

the ref saw it and ignored it.. it was on the ice for 30-40 secs.

Date: November 22, 2008 03:13PM

Great Pic Mark! rock

Posted by: ansky629 (---.wireless.umnet.umich.edu)
Date: November 22, 2008 03:21PM

Did anybody attack the kid when he threw it out? I can't stand facetimers.

Posted by: mha (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 22, 2008 03:30PM

CUontheslopes
As much as I wish it was a goal and I chanted goal, goal, goal, it definitely wasn't. I had a perfect angle in E just on the other side of the netting.

Hard to tell from this angle, as optimistic as I wanted to be.

Date: November 22, 2008 03:35PM

CUontheslopes
As for the controversial non-goal, I was sitting in E and had a great look at it - definitely didn't go in. It hit the inside of the crossbarand went straight down onto the outside of the line, but not over it. From where I was sitting it wasn't really even that close, only a tiny piece of the puck ever touched the line.

Pretty hard, IMHO for the puck to hit the insideof the crossbar and not be totally in the goal. wtf

Date: November 22, 2008 03:36PM

Yeah, I mean, as much as I wanted it to be a goal it just wasn't. It was one of those shots that hits the crossbar and goes straight down. I had a perfect angle from almost right on the goal line - it wasn't really as close as that pictures makes it look. Only a tiny piece of the puck ever touched the outside portion of the line and no portion of the puck ever went beyond the line.

Posted by: sah67 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 22, 2008 03:46PM

ansky629
Did anybody attack the kid when he threw it out? I can't stand facetimers.

My girlfriend nearly did, but she was in G, so she had to restrain herself.

Last year in B, when someone attempted to throw newspaper at the beginning of the 2nd period, she grabbed them by the wrist and yelled "Don't you dare!" It was sufficient enough to scare the facetime out of them. rock

Date: November 22, 2008 03:50PM

TimV
CUontheslopes
As for the controversial non-goal, I was sitting in E and had a great look at it - definitely didn't go in. It hit the inside of the crossbarand went straight down onto the outside of the line, but not over it. From where I was sitting it wasn't really even that close, only a tiny piece of the puck ever touched the line.

Pretty hard, IMHO for the puck to hit the insideof the crossbar and not be totally in the goal. wtf

Not at all - that's the only way for the puck to drop straight down. If it hit the OUTSIDE of the crossbar it would deflect up. It's really not that rare of an occurance as anyone who's ever played hockey could attest to. The net never moved. I mean I bleed Cornell red and would have loved for it to be a goal, but it simply wasn't. I had a great angle, the refs had a great angle and the goal judge had a great angle. Also, if u noticed the Cornell players kept attacking the puck - none of them seemed to think it had gone in either.

Posted by: BCrespi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 22, 2008 03:57PM

I'm sure CU means "bottom" of the cross-bar, in the 3-D understanding that Tim expressed in his previous comment. Seriously guys, the semantical arguments going on for the past few weeks are enough to drive a man insane. Thank God the team is playing pretty well. Let's beat Dartmouth tonight!

Posted by: redice (---.154.218.211.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: November 22, 2008 05:13PM

CUontheslopes
It's an absolute outrage how badly the Athletic Dept. has handled this situation. When I was an undergrad we had that streak of sellouts dating back to Alabama-Huntsville.

I'm not necessarily singling out you, CUontheslopes. But, as a general comment, rather than blaming the Athletic Dept for the empty seats, people should make a concerted effort to bring a non-hockey fan to a game.

Over the years, I have created more hockey fans, just by exposing them to the Lynah experience. You can do that too!!

The Athletic Dept is not responsible for all ills at Lynah.

Date: November 22, 2008 05:24PM

redice
CUontheslopes
It's an absolute outrage how badly the Athletic Dept. has handled this situation. When I was an undergrad we had that streak of sellouts dating back to Alabama-Huntsville.

I'm not necessarily singling out you, CUontheslopes. But, as a general comment, rather than blaming the Athletic Dept for the empty seats, people should make a concerted effort to bring a non-hockey fan to a game.

Over the years, I have created more hockey fans, just by exposing them to the Lynah experience. You can do that too!!

The Athletic Dept is not responsible for all ills at Lynah.

I agree with you 100% - people should bring friends to the games, When it was an option, I always bought 2 season tickets so I could bring someone with me. I had a power hour before every game from the time i was a soph through a senior at my fraternity. I certainly think I, along with most who are reading this board, have done their part and that's the only reason I believe am I am in a position to assert that I truly believe the AD has screwed the pooch on this one. While part of the "problem" is the recent success of the basketball team (hardly a problem), those of us who were there in the Fall of 2003 and saw the line for hockey tickets wrap all the way around Alumni fields (back when it was the size of three football fields too...the Sun estimated over 8,000 students I believe at the time) know that there is a problem.

The Athletic Dept. has managed to turn a tremendous surplus of fans (so many more fans than seats that it led to the expansion of the rink) into a shortfall. They've done all they can to take the fun out of the line and the competitive spirit that meant that the best fans got tickets. They've employed ushers who, particularly in past seasons, who have ejected students at the drop of a hat. I hope Andy Noel is happy with what he's produced - he barely sold out the rink for Harvard.

Date: November 22, 2008 05:27PM

and they still have 200 on the waiting list. so someone wants tickets

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 22, 2008 07:19PM

TimV
imafrshmn

Actually, that makes me think student seats have maintained and so aren't the problem, non-student seats haven't taken up the slack, No?

That's a heads-up play by Seminoff right there.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 22, 2008 09:56PM

Josh '99
TimV
imafrshmn

Not to take anything away from Seminoff, but Schafer directed him to pick up the fish. He clearly pointed at it, and called something out, at which point Seminoff went right over to it.

Just want to make sure that credit is given where it is due, and Coach gets the heads-up credit for this one.

Date: November 22, 2008 10:46PM

haha at the kid reading the book in the background. You're at a hockey game!

Posted by: redice (---.154.221.8.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: November 22, 2008 11:56PM

CUontheslopes
I agree with you 100% - people should bring friends to the games, When it was an option, I always bought 2 season tickets so I could bring someone with me. I had a power hour before every game from the time i was a soph through a senior at my fraternity. I certainly think I, along with most who are reading this board, have done their part and that's the only reason I believe am I am in a position to assert that I truly believe the AD has screwed the pooch on this one. While part of the "problem" is the recent success of the basketball team (hardly a problem), those of us who were there in the Fall of 2003 and saw the line for hockey tickets wrap all the way around Alumni fields (back when it was the size of three football fields too...the Sun estimated over 8,000 students I believe at the time) know that there is a problem.

The Athletic Dept. has managed to turn a tremendous surplus of fans (so many more fans than seats that it led to the expansion of the rink) into a shortfall. They've done all they can to take the fun out of the line and the competitive spirit that meant that the best fans got tickets. They've employed ushers who, particularly in past seasons, who have ejected students at the drop of a hat. I hope Andy Noel is happy with what he's produced - he barely sold out the rink for Harvard.

I applaud you for bringing potential new fans to games. If everyone did that, the demand for tickets would remain strong.

As you point out the long lines of the Fall of 2003, I couldn't help but think: Wow, what a great team we had at that time!! The current team? Not so much!! Lots of promise but not to be confused with the Murray/Bâby teams 5+ years ago.

Could we be looking at a case of fair-weather-fan-itis? Fans always come out for the really good teams. That's the nature of fandom. Once fans get a taste of a team that is one of the best in the country, anything less is disappointing to some. Those types will find other things to do with their time/money. This doesn't apply only to students. The same can be said for alum's & townies (who aren't part of the line number fiasco).

I stand by my earlier statement: the Athletic Dept is not responsible for all ills at Lynah.

Disclaimer: I have no association with the Atletic Dept. My apparent defense of them is really a statement that if the seats are not all sold, it's because people are chosing not to attend the games. The problem lies with those people....

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 23, 2008 12:47AM

andyw2100
Josh '99
TimV
imafrshmn

Not to take anything away from Seminoff, but Schafer directed him to pick up the fish. He clearly pointed at it, and called something out, at which point Seminoff went right over to it.

Just want to make sure that credit is given where it is due, and Coach gets the heads-up credit for this one.
Fair enough: heads-up by Schafer.

Date: November 23, 2008 10:47AM

I disagree. Season tickets are prohibitively expensive. I love hockey, but I cant afford to dish out 250 bucks for season tickets. Instead, I just pick my spots and buy tickets for higher-profile games (i.e. Harvard, Dartmouth, Clarkson), or go if I get free tickets from friends. If season tickets were in the low-to-mid 100s like I have heard they were only a few years ago, I would be willing to buy season tickets. But as it stands right now, its just too expensive

Posted by: redice (---.154.217.57.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: November 23, 2008 03:09PM

Cornell11
I disagree. Season tickets are prohibitively expensive. I love hockey, but I cant afford to dish out 250 bucks for season tickets. Instead, I just pick my spots and buy tickets for higher-profile games (i.e. Harvard, Dartmouth, Clarkson), or go if I get free tickets from friends. If season tickets were in the low-to-mid 100s like I have heard they were only a few years ago, I would be willing to buy season tickets. But as it stands right now, its just too expensive

I hadn't thought of that. I tend not to concern myself with the ticket cost. It's not something that I can change. So, I just pay it and move on. It's not that money is of no worry to me. It's just that, in my mind, not buying season tickets is not an option. I would cut back in many other areas (or get a part time job) before I would consider not buying them.

Jesus, I hope nobody in the Athletic Dept reads this. We'll all be priced out of Lynah. flipa

Thanks for bringing that to the discussion.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2008 03:12PM by redice.

Posted by: BMac (132.236.181.---)
Date: November 23, 2008 04:28PM

Now that you mention it, I did have some fun telling some kids not to throw a bottle of toothpaste on the ice after the Colgate game started.

There will always be people like that, I'm afraid. I was kind of mean to the couple that decided to come to the Harvard game late and split my buddies and I. Yes, these are your seats. No, you don't get to sit in them.

And yes, my first question was "Is this your first game?!"

Date: November 23, 2008 05:39PM

a couple way to look at season tickets.. $250 for close 15 games or so is really not that expensive when compared to movies at $10 a pop. now to what they were 20 yrs ago at 60-70 a season its more but its also less than what div 1 football tickets cost and with twice as many games to boot.

I do think at some pt though they price themselves out as people will not pay $50 a game to see CU hockey and likely $25-30 is where people start to balk..

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 23, 2008 05:54PM

upperdeck
... movies at $10 a pop...
Movies are $10 in Ithaca?

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.wireless.ubc.ca)
Date: November 23, 2008 06:15PM

ugarte
upperdeck
... movies at $10 a pop...
Movies are $10 in Ithaca?
I think Pyramid Mall was $9.50 when I left, and that was two-plus years ago...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login