Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Scrivens for Hobey?

Posted by sah67 
Scrivens for Hobey?
Posted by: sah67 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 20, 2008 06:58PM

Yes...we're only 4 games into the season but the college hockey websites have to start these silly "Hobey tracker" features sooner or later.

Scrivens gets a shoutout as a "Bull Market" Hobey pick in INCH's debut edition of the Hobey Tracker:

[insidecollegehockey.com]

Re: Scrivens for Hobey?
Posted by: Cornell11 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2008 07:04PM

if only total sprawls and seconds spent on your stomach were a consideration for this award...

Posted by: upperdeck (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 20, 2008 07:04PM

hard to believe you can be 2-0-2 and not yet have given up a 5x5 goal..

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 20, 2008 09:58PM

I don't think he can be taken seriously as a contender until he gets himself a website.

Posted by: judy (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 20, 2008 10:06PM

Jordan 04
I don't think he can be taken seriously as a contender until he gets himself a website.

Don't forget the big advertising push!

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: November 20, 2008 10:49PM

judy
Jordan 04

Don't forget the big advertising push!

And a catchy nickname or slogan.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 21, 2008 12:46AM

Jordan 04
WHAT A SAVE BY YANN DANIS!

(Yes, it's still there.)

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 21, 2008 10:19AM

Yeah, Scrivens is going to need some sort of advertising push. Today the front page at [www.uscho.com] has a picture of Princeton goalie Zane Kalemba with the caption noting that he "sports a .965 save percentage and a 0.83 goals against average, both second in the nation."

And to whom, exactly, is he second in both categories? [www.uscho.com] No respect, I tell ya...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2008 10:20AM by Give My Regards.

Posted by: BMac (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: November 21, 2008 01:46PM

perhaps he should start a facebook group, a la "mark 'dexshow' dekanich for hobey"

Posted by: sah67 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 21, 2008 02:23PM

BMac
perhaps he should start a facebook group, a la "mark 'dexshow' dekanich for hobey"

And he'd even have a better chance at spelling the group name correctly, unlike Dekanich's group which I believe had "Dexhsow" or something similar in the title for its existence.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: November 21, 2008 05:23PM

Give My Regards
Yeah, Scrivens is going to need some sort of advertising push. Today the front page at [www.uscho.com] has a picture of Princeton goalie Zane Kalemba with the caption noting that he "sports a .965 save percentage and a 0.83 goals against average, both second in the nation."

And to whom, exactly, is he second in both categories? [www.uscho.com] No respect, I tell ya...

But it's not the goalie, it's the system smashfreak

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: November 21, 2008 05:33PM

BMac

Something tells me if he keeps up these numbers, he won't have to start the Facebook group himself.

In Tucson,

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: RinkRatInExile (---.nydailynews.com)
Date: November 21, 2008 07:55PM

Here's some USCHO respect...

[www.uscho.com]

Now, granted, I don't think he's going to win - too much bad PR about "The System" - but he's got a good shot at the Hat Trick.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 21, 2008 08:17PM

RinkRatInExile
Now, granted, I don't think he's going to win - too much bad PR about "The System" - but he's got a good shot at the Hat Trick.
The PR about "The System" isn't bad, it's just not conducive to individual recognition for goaltenders.

Winning subjective awards depends a lot on what everyone else does that year. If no one has a standout offensive season it's a lot easier for a goalie to win in the same way that it helps a defenseman when there are no forwards with two points per game.

Facebook Group
Posted by: amerks127 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 23, 2008 02:38PM

If you have facebook, we're up and running...

[www.facebook.com]

Re: Facebook Group
Date: November 23, 2008 03:10PM

Beeeej
Something tells me if he keeps up these numbers, he won't have to start the Facebook group himself.

amerks127
If you have facebook, we're up and running...

[www.facebook.com]

See?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.dsl2.mon.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 29, 2008 08:39AM

Yay! Scrivens for Hobey!

Okay, can we finally put this ridiculousness to rest?

Posted by: The Rancor (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: November 29, 2008 10:05AM

woof woof thanks a lot.drunk

Re: Facebook Group
Posted by: amerks127 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2008 02:55PM

Time to disband the facebook group?

Posted by: Goon (---.midco.net)
Date: November 29, 2008 03:01PM

I think it is only one game and there is a long season ahead.
I thought he made some good saves.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 29, 2008 06:28PM

If he has seven consecutive shutouts, his GAA will be back to 0.80.

Posted by: Oat (---.c3-0.avec-ubr11.nyr-avec.ny.cable.rcn.com)
Date: November 30, 2008 03:29AM

well almost a shutout tonight, if NoDak would please just struggle on their offense for once in their lives...

Scrivens on the INCH Hobey "Big Board"
Posted by: sah67 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 16, 2009 12:30AM

I don't meant to start all the silly hype again, especially since the last time people went nuts with the Facebook groups, etc. over this, we had the 7-goal disaster in NoDak...so I hope this doesn't count as woofing ;)

Anyhow, INCH has added Scrivens to their Top 3 Hobey favorites behind Brock Bradford of BC and Ryan Stoa of Minny. I figured some would be interested, or at least the members of the facebook group innocent

[insidecollegehockey.com]

Re: Scrivens on the INCH Hobey "Big Board"
Posted by: nr53 (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2009 03:44AM

I probably sound jaded, but I've always seen the "Hobey tracker" thing as: <forward1 with a chance to win>, <forward2 with a chance to win>, <token defensive player so it looks like we're being fair>. It makes me wonder if they should just create an award for best defenseman or something. Here's hoping they prove me wrong and Scrivens wins the damn thing :-)

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2009 03:53AM

nr53
I probably sound jaded, but I've always seen the "Hobey tracker" thing as: <forward1 with a chance to win>, <forward2 with a chance to win>, <token defensive player so it looks like we're being fair>. It makes me wonder if they should just create an award for best defenseman or something. Here's hoping they prove me wrong and Scrivens wins the damn thing :-)

No they're changing things this year. Instead of two WCHA forwards who have a shot and a token ECAC goaltender, they made it one WCHA forward and one HE forward! Change!

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: ithacat (---.cbs.cornell.edu)
Date: January 16, 2009 07:33AM

nr53

I think for a goalie to win the award (particularly one from Cornell), he'd have to be undefeated, and have a GAA < Save%. **]

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2009 08:13AM

nr53

I haven't paid close attention to individual performances nationally this year but there was something I read on INCH lately that suggested that there was a serious lack of standout performances statistically and that this could be the year a goalie could take it. Of course that was also true in 2003...

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2009 08:47AM

Chris '03
I haven't paid close attention to individual performances nationally this year but there was something I read on INCH lately that suggested that there was a serious lack of standout performances statistically and that this could be the year a goalie could take it. Of course that was also true in 2003...

But if LeNeveu had won the award in 2003, it would have marked the fourth straight year a non-forward had won the award -- including a goaltender in 2001 (Ryan Miller). That just wasn't going to happen.

The Hobey has gone to a non-forward seven times (five defensemen, two goaltenders) in its 28-year history, which puts it way ahead of the Heisman (one defensive player, plus a two-way guy, in over 70 years)

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2009 09:04AM

Chris '03
nr53

It's early yet, of course. Currently the national leader in points and points per game is from Quinnipiac and the national leader in goals per game is from Air Force, a bit of a strange state of affairs. If that persisted, I guess you could see a defensive player win, but with the perception (right or wrong) that it's "the Schafer system," I think it would take something special (that is to say, more special than what Scrivens is already doing) for that to happen.

Posted by: dragonfan (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2009 09:34AM

If you go back and look at the shots per game that LeNeveu faced (20)and overall (646) and Mckee (23)-(827),Scrivens is (27) and if cornell gets that far might face (939),some might say he has contributed more,but I think cornell will have to make it to the championship weekend.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2009 12:43PM by dragonfan.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.itt.com)
Date: January 16, 2009 09:36AM

dragonfan
... but I think cornell will have to make it to the championship game.

But the Hobey is awarded the day before the championship game, and just the day after the semis. Anyone know when the decision is actually made?

Date: January 16, 2009 11:39AM

DeltaOne81
dragonfan

But the Hobey is awarded the day before the championship game, and just the day after the semis. Anyone know when the decision is actually made?

The decision is made before the semis, but the "Hobey Hat Trick" are all invited to the ceremony between the semis and the finals and nobody is informed in advance.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 16, 2009 09:27PM

Beeeej
DeltaOne81
dragonfan

The decision is made before the semis, but the "Hobey Hat Trick" are all invited to the ceremony between the semis and the finals and nobody is informed in advance.

Yeah, k, that's basically what I thought. So Cornell making it to the championship game can't be a factor. Final Four could, theoretically, I guess.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: January 17, 2009 12:21PM

I would think that the best winning percentage, 1.25 GAA and 95.3% save % would put him in the running...............but it's still a bit too early to start seriously thinking about this. After next weekend's games or the following week, if the team is still doing as well and he has these numbers than I say it's time to start making comparisons.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 17, 2009 12:35PM

Scrivens is right now pretty much in line with the stats that Miller had the season he won the Hobey.Miller went 31-5-4 with a 1.32 GAA and .950 save percentage. I think Ben is at 1.25 GAA and right around a 0.95 save percentage.

Posted by: fink (---.jcs-wy.client.bresnan.net)
Date: January 21, 2009 07:48PM

Compare to McKee 04-05: 27-5-3 (.814), 1.24 GAA, .947%
and LeNeveu 02-03: 28-3-1 (.891), 1.20 GAA, .940%

Scrivens currently: 13-1-3 (.853), 1.18 GAA, .956%

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.crh.noaa.gov)
Date: January 22, 2009 03:58PM

Hopefully the Hobey websites has more up to date images than USCHO. When is the last time Scrivens wore the all white helmet anyway?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login