Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 4 at Colgate 1 Post-game Thread

Posted by sah67 
Cornell 4 at Colgate 1 Post-game Thread
Posted by: sah67 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 13, 2008 10:00PM

Starr looked devoid of any Colgate "fans" with more than a minute left. Nice game. A bit undisciplined, but at least the offense showed up...and Scrivens was excellent again, despite the shutout streak ending.

Sooner or later, the whole "letting the other team outshoot us by 3-to-1 and bank on Scrivens"-strategy isn't going to pan out.

I hope Mugford is alright.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2008 10:01PM by sah67.

Re: Cornell 4 at Colgate 1 Post-game Thread
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 13, 2008 10:05PM

Shots were 41-19 Colgate. No arguing with results, though: 2-0-1 on the road including a win at the consensus league favorite. Next 5 ECAC games are at Lynah.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2008 10:09PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: JDeafv (12.185.224.---)
Date: November 13, 2008 10:10PM

Trotsky
Shots were 41-19 Colgate

Funny, Age gave the shots as 29-9 Cornell after 2 on Elynah live.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 13, 2008 10:13PM

It will be a big loss if Mugford is out for any significant amount of time.

Date: November 13, 2008 10:13PM

JDeafv
Trotsky
Shots were 41-19 Colgate

Funny, Age gave the shots as 29-9 Cornell after 2 on Elynah live.

Jason gave the shots as:

Cornell 7-5-6
Colgate 11-19-11

Posted by: puckbunny (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 13, 2008 10:15PM

any updates on mugford's injury?

who took him down?

Posted by: MB (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 13, 2008 10:30PM

Good first, we were in the box most of the second (some crap calls, some stupid penalties), and they seemed to phone it in for most of the third. Scrivens looked awesome, but he's wandering again. If this keeps up, my coworkers will start giving me odd looks when I yell at the screen.

Date: November 13, 2008 10:33PM

From the "Oddities" file. Schafer as coach has a perfect record in Game 3 of the season (14-0-0). This is true of no other game, and hasn't been since he lost a Game 21 in the 2003-04 season after being 8-0-0.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2008 10:35PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: November 13, 2008 11:19PM

Trotsky
From the "Oddities" file. Schafer as coach has a perfect record in Game 3 of the season (14-0-0). This is true of no other game, and hasn't been since he lost a Game 21 in the 2003-04 season after being 8-0-0.
It scares me that your statistic-keeping is such that you know this.

On a side note, moving to California has thrown off my Cornell hockey schedule...I missed this game not because I forgot it was tonight but because I forgot it was at 4:30 PST. help

Posted by: RichH (76.28.11.---)
Date: November 14, 2008 12:12AM

Trotsky

Dude...step away from the spreadsheet. It's gonna be OK. We're here for you.

Posted by: nr53 (---.cisco.com)
Date: November 14, 2008 12:19AM

puckbunny
any updates on mugford's injury?

who took him down?

If I remember correctly, it was more that he was fighting for the puck going behind the net, lost his balance and footing and just fell awkwardly. The replay looked pretty painful so I hope he's doing ok.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2008 12:21AM

Shots on goal, at least according to the scoreboard, were really screwy this game. At one point in the second period, they started giving every shot on goal to Colgate (including the ones we shot) and then at one point subtracted three or four from our total. I'm not sure if this was negligence or some plan to decrease their own goalie's save percentage? Either way it was bizarre.

Colgate students turned out for the free pizza, but things were pretty empty on the townie side. As others mentioned in the game thread, the 'gate fans were classless as usual. Some of them left after 1 period, and most had left by the start of the 3rd.

As for Mugford, he was hobbling around the stands a few minutes after the injury. Let's hope it's nothing major.

Scrivens had another great game. He was hung out to dry by the defense on that one goal tonight...just left the puck in front of the net and there wasn't much Ben could do. He had some other nice saves...and a few near-misses he didn't see. Davenport and Garman were both on the bench tonight; not sure what that's about.

The offense was great to see, but we still have some major problems that are going to cause trouble against NoDak, in FL, and against better teams. First and foremost is the breakout play, which has been awful for two years now. As some of us have commented at the games, what is Schafer having them practice during the week? Our breakout plays, starting from behind our own net, usually result in our having lost possession by the red line, if not before. A couple times tonight, we lost the puck trying to carry it out of the zone and gave up a good scoring opportunity. It didn't matter if Colgate only sent one forward to harass, or if 'gate was changing, we still looked terrible. These kinds of blunders are going to cost us if we play a team that can finish.

Of course, it's hard to knock this team at 2-0-1. Let's keep the momentum going.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2008 12:22AM by ebilmes.

Posted by: sah67 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2008 12:24AM

ebilmes
Davenport and Garman were both on the bench tonight; not sure what that's about.

According to Brandon Thomas in his coverage in the IJ, Davenport is just getting back to full-strength after some elbow surgery and wasn't supposed to dress tonight, but apparently did.

I assume Garman was Scrivens's backup only while Davenport was side-lined with the surgery and he might turn into #3 behind Davenport now. That is of course unless Schafer really does have that much confidence in him from what he saw in the exhibition games and from what he sees during practice.

Shots discrepency
Posted by: Doug '08 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 14, 2008 12:34AM

Am I remembering this right, or isn't Colgate the wacky rink that records "saves" and not "shots" on the scoreboard? Perhaps that could have caused some of the confusion... always pissed me off, ALMOST as much as the big red chewing gum and free pizza give aways. Although hey, at least we brought our jerseys this game.

Re: Shots discrepency
Date: November 14, 2008 01:47AM

Doug '08
Am I remembering this right, or isn't Colgate the wacky rink that records "saves" and not "shots" on the scoreboard? Perhaps that could have caused some of the confusion... always pissed me off, ALMOST as much as the big red chewing gum and free pizza give aways. Although hey, at least we brought our jerseys this game.

Actually I think you're right, it was probably saves. I just assumed it counted shots like every other scoreboard.

As for the chewing gum, it took 3-4 minutes to clear the ice of the damn things AFTER the refs were ready to drop the puck. I thought that was legitimate grounds for a penalty.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.innovestsystems.com)
Date: November 14, 2008 07:47AM

ebilmes
Doug '08

Actually I think you're right, it was probably saves. I just assumed it counted shots like every other scoreboard.

As for the chewing gum, it took 3-4 minutes to clear the ice of the damn things AFTER the refs were ready to drop the puck. I thought that was legitimate grounds for a penalty.

how can you be mad about packaged chewing gum being thrown on the ice when cornell students throw unpackaged, dead fish on the ice?

is the pot calling the kettle black?

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2008 08:34AM

Dpperk29
ebilmes

how can you be mad about packaged chewing gum being thrown on the ice when cornell students throw unpackaged, dead fish on the ice?

Lynah's staff are ready to clean the fish up and do so, without fail, by the time the game is ready to start. (They're sure to do so because they know that Cornell can be penalized if it doesn't get done in time.) Starr's rink staff apparently were not similarly prepared; perhaps a delay of game penalty would motivate them to be ready in the future.

Date: November 14, 2008 08:45AM

Dpperk29

I don't care what people throw on the ice so long as it's cleaned up quickly and doesn't delay the game for several minutes.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2008 09:00AM

Josh '99
Lynah's staff are ready to clean the fish up and do so, without fail, by the time the game is ready to start. (They're sure to do so because they know that Cornell can be penalized if it doesn't get done in time.) Starr's rink staff apparently were not similarly prepared; perhaps a delay of game penalty would motivate them to be ready in the future.

The general sequence of events in a situation like this is:

1. Fans throw stuff on the ice.
2. The referee has a warning read over the PA, indicating that further object-tossing will result in a bench minor for the home team.
3. If further objects are tossed, the penalty is called.

1 and 2 happen at every Harvard game at Lynah. The warning was announced at Starr last night, while the rink staff was gathering up the gum. It seemed to be read just after a long dark object that was definitely *not* a package of gum hit the ice.

I don't know why the staff was so under-prepared to clear the gum off the ice. Don't they give the stuff out at the game?? What do they think people are going to do with it??

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2008 09:04AM

ebilmes
Doug '08

It is saves, and after the period ends they change the numbers. So, I assume the ones during the period are "not official" and changed to the official numbers later.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.innovestsystems.com)
Date: November 14, 2008 09:51AM

Give My Regards
Josh '99

The general sequence of events in a situation like this is:

1. Fans throw stuff on the ice.
2. The referee has a warning read over the PA, indicating that further object-tossing will result in a bench minor for the home team.
3. If further objects are tossed, the penalty is called.

1 and 2 happen at every Harvard game at Lynah. The warning was announced at Starr last night, while the rink staff was gathering up the gum. It seemed to be read just after a long dark object that was definitely *not* a package of gum hit the ice.

I don't know why the staff was so under-prepared to clear the gum off the ice. Don't they give the stuff out at the game?? What do they think people are going to do with it??

ok, so the it's not a pot-kettle situation if your complaints are with the rink staff not cleaning them up in a timely manner.

I got the impression you were saying that the fans were jerks for throwing the gum onto the ice. (they are jerks for so many other reasons it doesn't matter either way)

Starr Rink 101
Posted by: ebilmes (---.arts.cornell.edu)
Date: November 14, 2008 10:07AM

As in past years, this was passed out at the game last night.

Attachments:
open | download - Colgate_cheer_sheet.PDF (43.5 KB)
Posted by: amerks127 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 14, 2008 10:17AM

Not sure if this was mentioned but Scrivens’ shutout streak lasted 206:44, passing Cropper’s record of 189:45.

Posted by: RichH (155.104.37.---)
Date: November 14, 2008 01:38PM

amerks127
Not sure if this was mentioned but Scrivens’ shutout streak lasted 206:44, passing Cropper’s record of 189:45.

Yeah, in the game thread. It ranks #2 all-time for ECAC streaks to Colgate's Mark Dekanich's 217:16 set this past February. Scrivens missed that mark by 10:32.

ECAC Shutout Streaks
1. 217:16   Dekanich 	Colgate '07-'08
2. 206:44   Scrivens 	Cornell '07-'08 & '08-'09
3. 199:44   Koenig 	Union   '96-'97
4. 198:30   Laing 	RPI     '98-'99
5. 189:48   Cropper 	Cornell '69-'70

Source: [www.dailygazette.com]

For regular season streaks, BC's Schnieder had 242:19. The record for a regular season shutout streak is BC's Clemmensen 254:23. MSU's Ryan Miller had one at 229:29, but the all-time record (playoffs included) was a ridiculous 375:01 — Blaine Lacher for Lake Superior St., Feb. 26-March 2, 1994.

160:59 to open a season...I would guess that would be a record.

Edit: 165:59 to open the season because I neglected the 5:00 OT at Quinnipiac. Thanks to Ronald '09.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2008 07:43PM by RichH.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: November 14, 2008 03:15PM

RichH
For regular season streaks, BC's Schnieder had 242:19. The record for a regular season shutout streak is BC's Clemmensen 254:23.

I must be missing something. What's the distinction between the two?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2008 03:39PM

Beeeej
RichH
For regular season streaks, BC's Schnieder had 242:19. The record for a regular season shutout streak is BC's Clemmensen 254:23.

Um... Clemmensen's is a regular-season record, and Schneider's isn't. I assume Schneider's is being mentioned because it was more recent (2006).

Posted by: Ronald '09 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2008 04:18PM

RichH
amerks127

Yeah, in the game thread. It ranks #2 all-time for ECAC streaks to Colgate's Mark Dekanich's 217:16 set this past February. Scrivens missed that mark by 10:32.

ECAC Shutout Streaks
1. 217:16   Dekanich 	Colgate '07-'08
2. 206:44   Scrivens 	Cornell '07-'08 & '08-'09
3. 199:44   Koenig 	Union   '96-'97
4. 198:30   Laing 	RPI     '98-'99
5. 189:48   Cropper 	Cornell '69-'70

Source: [www.dailygazette.com]

For regular season streaks, BC's Schnieder had 242:19. The record for a regular season shutout streak is BC's Clemmensen 254:23. MSU's Ryan Miller had one at 229:29, but the all-time record (playoffs included) was a ridiculous 375:01 — Blaine Lacher for Lake Superior St., Feb. 26-March 2, 1994.

160:59 to open a season...I would guess that would be a record.

Is 160:59 the official number to start the season? On the surface it seems to me not to include the 5 minute overtime. Or is that made up by Ben's leaving the ice on delayed penalty calls?

Date: November 14, 2008 04:46PM

Give My Regards
Beeeej
RichH

Um... Clemmensen's is a regular-season record, and Schneider's isn't. I assume Schneider's is being mentioned because it was more recent (2006).

So why does it say "For regular season streaks" before Schneider's? That's the only reason I asked. It sounded to me like they're both regular season streaks, and so one would have to be the record while the other is not.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2008 05:21PM

Dpperk29

Racist!!**]

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: November 14, 2008 06:14PM

Beeeej
Give My Regards
Beeeej
RichH

So why does it say "For regular season streaks" before Schneider's? That's the only reason I asked. It sounded to me like they're both regular season streaks, and so one would have to be the record while the other is not.
Schneider played goalie naked.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2008 06:20PM

Beeeej
Give My Regards
Beeeej
RichH

The difference might be due to "shutout" but if so, the Gazette could have explained it. Maybe they had to fit another Fucillo Hyundai ad on the page and there wasn't any more room for something trivial like hockey.

Date: November 14, 2008 07:06PM

Beeeej
Give My Regards
Beeeej
RichH

Holy fuck!

Because I used poor sentence structure! Is that what you want me to say, Beeeej Noonan? Woe is me upon the eLynah Forum to have made such an egregious non-sequitur! May I be cast into the pit of Palin-English! :-) Seriously, Beeeej...I don't understand your confusion. Give My Regards got it right.

All I was doing was listing other NCAA streaks surpassing Dekanich's ECAC mark. I typed the way my mind was thinking whilst reading a USCHO report about Schneider's streak which also mentioned Clemmensen's. They are both regular season streaks, as was Ryan Miller's. I used the words "For regular season streaks" to set up the punchline of Lacher's playoff streak. Technically, Scrivens's streak is not a regular season streak, since it began in the ECAC Tournament (Conso vs. Colgate). I see nothing wrong with my paragraph.
Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2008 07:36PM by RichH.

Date: November 14, 2008 07:09PM

Ronald '09
Is 160:59 the official number to start the season? On the surface it seems to me not to include the 5 minute overtime. Or is that made up by Ben's leaving the ice on delayed penalty calls?

Ah, great catch, Ronald. My own math neglected to add the 5:00 OT! Somehow I thought 1 Shutout = 60 minutes, which was my mistake.

165:59.

:-)

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: November 14, 2008 08:53PM

RichH
amerks127

Well, speaking of the (New Jersey) Devil, he had a shut out going for a whole 9 minutes and 52 seconds tonight, until Laich capitalized for Washington. Clemmensen got another shut out streak going, but alas after ~ 28 minutes that too came to an end. **]

Date: November 14, 2008 11:29PM

RichH
Beeeej
Give My Regards
Beeeej
RichH

Holy fuck!

Because I used poor sentence structure! Is that what you want me to say, Beeeej Noonan? Woe is me upon the eLynah Forum to have made such an egregious non-sequitur! May I be cast into the pit of Palin-English! :-) Seriously, Beeeej...I don't understand your confusion. Give My Regards got it right.

From the context of your post, and the discussion everyone else was having, it sounded like you were talking only about record streaks, and so the mention of one other streak that clearly couldn't be a record because of the very next streak mentioned left me wondering why it was in there. I wasn't picking on your grammar, I was asking a simple question. Lighten the hell up.

- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2008 11:30PM by Beeeej.

Date: November 15, 2008 09:29AM

Beeeej
Lighten the hell up.

Chill, I wasn't really upset. There's a smiley in there. :-) Sounds like beer needs to be consumed the next time I see you. :-)

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 15, 2008 09:37AM

Beeeej
RichH
Beeeej
Give My Regards
Beeeej
RichH

Holy fuck!

From the context of your post, and the discussion everyone else was having, it sounded like you were talking only about record streaks, and so the mention of one other streak that clearly couldn't be a record because of the very next streak mentioned left me wondering why it was in there. I wasn't picking on your grammar, I was asking a simple question. Lighten the hell up.

Why doesn't everybody lighten up. Look this was a simple misunderstanding of intent. God, if you guys had guns we might have a duel. On second thought that might not be a bad idea.starwars

But I really think that drunk is better than asshole
There's hockey tonight and maybe Scriven's can start another streak, record or not.banana We've already smashfreak this deadhorse.

So before someone moons someone else over this, let's stop fight.I'm tired ofbang.

As the crowd said when Colgate took forever to clean up those Big Red gum packages, LET'S PLAY HOCKEY and by the way how many Colgate toothpaste boxes will there be tonight?

See ya, back to my coffee.

Date: November 15, 2008 09:56AM

RichH
Beeeej
Lighten the hell up.

Chill, I wasn't really upset. There's a smiley in there. :-) Sounds like beer needs to be consumed the next time I see you. :-)

I can't argue with that.

By the way - "Beeeej Noonan"? :-D

- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2008 09:56AM by Beeeej.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 15, 2008 10:58AM

Jim Hyla
We've already smashfreak this deadhorse.
THAT'S REDUNDANT!

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 15, 2008 01:37PM

CHN's injury report lists Mugford's injury as "back" and status as "questionable for Nov. 15 game". I think everyone who was at the game would agree that it was clearly not a back injury. I hope the bit about his status is accurate though. He's been one of our best players this year. Get well Muggy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2008 01:38PM by imafrshmn.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 15, 2008 02:06PM

Ten smileys! Is that a record? For one continuous post (regular season, not including playoffs...)?

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 15, 2008 03:52PM

RichH
Sounds like beer needs to be consumed the next time I see you. :-)

How is this different from normal Cornell Hockey gatherings?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login