Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

"Welcome Back, Coach Schafer"

Posted by amerks127 
"Welcome Back, Coach Schafer"
Posted by: amerks127 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 10, 2008 09:19AM

[cornellsun.com]

Given that I posted after Princeton's game, there isn't a whole lot of new information for elf.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2008 09:50AM by amerks127.

Re: "Welcome Back, Coach Schafer"
Posted by: Cornell11 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: November 10, 2008 10:26AM

Great article

Question for the Grammar Police
Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 10, 2008 10:55AM

I agree. Nice job.

"Far too often, a blocked shot from the high point sterilizes an otherwise efficient puck cycle."

Not to mention shorty breakways..:`-(

"but rather an inability of Cornell’s defense to neither consistently clear nor break out of the zone."

Is this a double negative? wtf

Posted by: nr53 (---.cisco.com)
Date: November 10, 2008 12:42PM

O'Byrne was a good puck moving defenseman?wtf

Good article though.

Posted by: rising soph (---.milolawfirm.com)
Date: November 10, 2008 12:55PM

With the Grammar Police already summoned, here's a call for the Thought Police.

Mitch proclaims the return of Coach Schafer's successful coaching style of old and then describes a team 1) that gave up 68 shots in 2 games,
2) that required a goalie to play spectacularly well, 3) whose offense goes into hibernation, 4) that has replaced puck-moving defensemen with ones that are unable to either clear our defensive zone or break the puck out of our defensive zone(that might have been a quadruple negative), 5) that was beaten at our own game by Princeton's ability to clog the neutral zone and stifle rushes and by Quinnipiac's outhitting us, 6) that played 2 lacklustre first periods, and 7) that is employing the same powerplay that has been proven ineffective over the last 3 seasons.

Welcome back, Coach Schafer. With Coach Schafer's successful coaching style of old having fully and thankfully returned to Lynah Rink, Mitch promises lots more dramatic hockey like we watched this past weekend and lots of reason for optimism. with so many players who played tremendously well in our 1 goal/3 point weekend, including several pivotal freshmen (is it freshmAn?), I look forward to even more old-style Coach Schafer-produced dramatics when we get to see prized recruit Mike Garman in net, or salty veteran Troy Davenport, for that matter. Either of them will only have to be perfect to keep the drama and success of Coach Schafer's returned coaching style alive.

Great article.

Re: Question for the Grammar Police
Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 10, 2008 01:02PM

TimV
I agree. Nice job.

"Far too often, a blocked shot from the high point sterilizes an otherwise efficient puck cycle."

Not to mention shorty breakways..:`-(

"but rather an inability of Cornell’s defense to neither consistently clear nor break out of the zone."

Is this a double negative? wtf

Is it a double split infinitive? wtf

Posted by: dragonfan (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 10, 2008 01:02PM

Last year the two reasons we made it to the ecac semi final game was are power-play and penilty kill.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 10, 2008 01:34PM

I agree with some of the above comments about shots on goal. In the prime of the Schafer system in '03 and '05 we were giving up 18-20 shots in a lot of games. While on paper the 1-0 and 0-0 tallies are reminiscent of that era, there are some clear differences on the ice. Those teams had the best PP in the nation, a stark contrast to the ugly PPs we've seen over the last couple years. Those teams also were much better about controlling the puck in the neutral zone. That said, it was a remarkable weekend for Scrivens and he deserves much credit.

While we're on the topic of the Sun, the front page of the Sports section misspelled "Princeotn" and "Quinnipac" (this one four times) in graphics. Absolutely incredible.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.innovestsystems.com)
Date: November 10, 2008 01:56PM

I remember one game early in 2005 when Charlie Cook shot straight into someone blocking a shot on the power play that bounced off the blocker and behind cook, and but for a lucky bounce, would have been a break away. Schafer sat Cook for the rest of the period, and kept him off the PP for the rest of the game. I think he put either Gleed or Downs in for him on the PP.

I didn't see Cook make a single powerplay mistake the rest of the season, and I remember him scoring a rather big powerplay goal or two in albany that year.

Schafer will get the powerplay worked out. After watching the Princeton game on TV friday, I would wager that the current Cornell team has much more talent than the 2005 team did.

all that being said, I am hoping cornell forgets how to skate when they play Clarkson this season.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 10, 2008 02:24PM

rising soph
With the Grammar Police already summoned, here's a call for the Thought Police.

Mitch proclaims the return of Coach Schafer's successful coaching style of old and then describes a team 1) that gave up 68 shots in 2 games,
2) that required a goalie to play spectacularly well, 3) whose offense goes into hibernation, 4) that has replaced puck-moving defensemen with ones that are unable to either clear our defensive zone or break the puck out of our defensive zone(that might have been a quadruple negative), 5) that was beaten at our own game by Princeton's ability to clog the neutral zone and stifle rushes and by Quinnipiac's outhitting us, 6) that played 2 lacklustre first periods, and 7) that is employing the same powerplay that has been proven ineffective over the last 3 seasons.

Welcome back, Coach Schafer. With Coach Schafer's successful coaching style of old having fully and thankfully returned to Lynah Rink, Mitch promises lots more dramatic hockey like we watched this past weekend and lots of reason for optimism. with so many players who played tremendously well in our 1 goal/3 point weekend, including several pivotal freshmen (is it freshmAn?), I look forward to even more old-style Coach Schafer-produced dramatics when we get to see prized recruit Mike Garman in net, or salty veteran Troy Davenport, for that matter. Either of them will only have to be perfect to keep the drama and success of Coach Schafer's returned coaching style alive.

Great article.

Somebody's bitter about his son's experience at Cornell. Good luck to him at Vermont.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: November 10, 2008 02:43PM

Chris '03
Somebody's bitter about his son's experience at Cornell. Good luck to him at Vermont.
Seems like this somebody needs to watch where he's posting from. The intertubes are not by default anonymous. :-D

Kyle

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: November 10, 2008 02:57PM

Glad I came into this discussion late - it's nice not to be the first to Sun-bash for a change.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: sah67 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 10, 2008 05:06PM

rising soph
Great article.

Anyone known a decent lawyer in Edina, Minnesota? I can't seem to find one.

[www.milolawfirm.com]

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: November 10, 2008 05:22PM

Let's let bygones be bygones.

On the whole, comments here over the last year have been nothing but supportive for Justin and his future endeavors. No reason the Lynah Faithful shouldn't remain on the high road.

Posted by: Brian Deerr '04 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 10, 2008 06:18PM

Jordan 04
Let's let bygones be bygones.

On the whole, comments here over the last year have been nothing but supportive for Justin and his future endeavors. No reason the Lynah Faithful shouldn't remain on the high road.

Well said, sir. Truly, you are both a gentleman and a scholar.

Posted by: Oat (---.c3-0.avec-ubr11.nyr-avec.ny.cable.rcn.com)
Date: November 10, 2008 08:23PM

oh man, that is embarassing indeed.

Posted by: Oat (---.c3-0.avec-ubr11.nyr-avec.ny.cable.rcn.com)
Date: November 10, 2008 08:46PM

Dpperk29
After watching the Princeton game on TV friday, I would wager that the current Cornell team has much more talent than the 2005 team did.

Hahaha, no way man. Not even close. You don't even have to watch the Princeton game to see which roster is stronger (2008 or 2005).

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 10, 2008 10:14PM

Oat
Dpperk29
After watching the Princeton game on TV friday, I would wager that the current Cornell team has much more talent than the 2005 team did.

Hahaha, no way man. Not even close. You don't even have to watch the Princeton game to see which roster is stronger (2008 or 2005).

Lots of recruits never materialize into anything, lots of draft picks never end up doing anything.

Until you see them play, numbers from Juniors don't mean anything. and that 2005 team had a lot more talent than people give them credit for.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: November 12, 2008 10:09AM

Oat
You don't even have to watch the Princeton game to see which roster is stronger (2008 or 2005).
Welcome to the Moneypuck era.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login