Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Alumni in the pros November 2008

Posted by Jacob '06 
Alumni in the pros November 2008
Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 03, 2008 05:05PM

Matt Moulson was sent back down to Manchester today.

Re: Alumni in the pros November 2008
Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: November 03, 2008 06:34PM

That's too bad. When do the lowly Isles recall Iggy, their leading scorer. Give the kid 10 games to show what he can do........heck, they've done that with plenty of retreads who can't score at all.

AitP Nov. 2008 - Sasha Pokulok
Posted by: JDeafv (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 08, 2008 04:00PM

Sasha escaped a fire in his apartment building last night. He's ok, as are his dog and cat, and the article says a pregnant girlfriend was out of town.

Sasha has 1 G, 2A, +6 in 6 games with S.C. this year.

Posted by: amerks127 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 09, 2008 09:56PM

Not about Cornell Alumni, but interesting article about the Rockford IceHogs' dressing room filled with 4 players from the 2006 Championship game.

[theahl.com]

"A Star in Moose Clothing" - Sawada article
Posted by: sah67 (---.bu.edu)
Date: November 12, 2008 05:46PM

This article on Ray Sawada was published in the Winnipeg Sun a week ago and just linked by Brandon Thomas in his online Ithaca Journal hockey coverage.

[www.winnipegsun.com]

Posted by: amerks127 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 17, 2008 01:50AM

Douglas fought Adam Burish tonight in Chicago. Pretty good fight, but the best scene is at the end when Burish cheap shots Murray as he's trying to take his helmet off.

Posted by: Cactus12 (---.med.nyu.edu)
Date: November 17, 2008 02:49AM

Murray also delivers a monster hit on Troy Brouwer
[www.nhl.com] (...no youtube link- hit is with game clock at 10:29 in the first period)

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.jsc.nasa.gov)
Date: November 17, 2008 05:42PM

amerks127
Douglas fought Adam Burish tonight in Chicago. Pretty good fight, but the best scene is at the end when Burish cheap shots Murray as he's trying to take his helmet off.

I missed the cheap shot. What time was it at?

Posted by: nr53 (---.cisco.com)
Date: November 17, 2008 06:55PM

Basically right at the beginning of the fight. Instead of waiting for Douglas to get his helmet off he kinda just charged right in. Maybe more "stupid" than "cheap" since the lack of a helmet might have been softer for his hand (not that he really got in a good punch anyways).

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: November 17, 2008 06:56PM

Chris 02
amerks127

I missed the cheap shot. What time was it at?
At about the 1:11 or 1:12 mark of the clip, when they're replaying the beginning of the fight, Douglas has his left hand up on his chin strap to take the helmet off. Burish grabs Douglas's right sleeve (to keep Douglas from raising his right arm) and starts swinging with his right while Douglas's hand is still on the chin strap.

Date: November 20, 2008 06:09PM

[www.nhl.tv]

just to follow up... murray has the second hit (#9) in this top 10 hits of the week video

Posted by: Brian (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2008 08:35PM

Cactus12
http://www.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?id=25865

just to follow up... murray has the second hit (#9) in this top 10 hits of the week video

and Dustin Brown is #1

Posted by: reilly83 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 24, 2008 09:54PM

Oh dear, O'Byrne scored an own goal during an Islander's delayed penalty to tie it up in regulation.:-/

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 24, 2008 10:01PM

reilly83
Oh dear, O'Byrne scored an own goal during an Islander's delayed penalty to tie it up in regulation.:-/
Doesn't really count as an O'Byrne-over, but painful nonetheless.

Posted by: Tom Tone (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 24, 2008 10:18PM

O'Byrne's own goal...

Posted by: Cornell11 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 25, 2008 01:07AM

Montreal has a brutal sports media. Good luck, Ryan!

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: November 25, 2008 09:29AM

We'll take it. Let's Go Islanders!

Posted by: CM cWo 44 (---.nyls.edu)
Date: November 25, 2008 11:29AM

Tom Tone
O'Byrne's own goal...

Too funny. Along with the purse "robbery", OB is way more infamous than famous at this point.

Posted by: Cornell11 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 25, 2008 11:50AM

at the end of the video, howie rose says that o'byrne has been catching a lot of heat in montreal. i know firsthand that those are some of the most bloodthirsty fans out there, and this definitely isn't going to make him any more popular.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.crh.noaa.gov)
Date: November 25, 2008 11:52AM

Cornell11
at the end of the video, howie rose says that o'byrne has been catching a lot of heat in montreal. i know firsthand that those are some of the most bloodthirsty fans out there, and this definitely isn't going to make him any more popular.

He definitely has been. I believe TSN's recap of the game mentioned his skating ability (where have we heard that before?) has come under fire in the most recent stretch of poor play from the Habs.

Posted by: amerks127 (---.ilr.cornell.edu)
Date: November 25, 2008 12:46PM

Nice follow up story by TSN:

[tsn.ca]

Posted by: ftyuv (---.techtarget.com)
Date: November 25, 2008 01:58PM

His excuse was that he didn't notice that Price was out of the net, but that means he hadn't so much as glanced in that direction. Far be it from me to second-guess an NHL player, but I was taught early and often to never, ever center a pass in your own zone unless you're absolutely sure there's no way it can bite you in the ass. What if Price had been there, but so had an Islander that OB had lost track of?

FWIW, it's not quite as bad as the own-goal 1:25 into this gem:

Ryan O'Byrne Puts Puck Into His Own Net
Posted by: Trustnduzt (152.72.151.---)
Date: November 25, 2008 01:15PM

Not sure if you have seen this video from last night's Habs/Islanders game, but Ryan O'Byrne's future in Montreal does not look so bright.

Check it out for yourself:

[thetwolinepass.com]

Re: Ryan O'Byrne Puts Puck Into His Own Net
Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: November 25, 2008 01:22PM

Did this suddenly become the USCHO board? Why wasn't I informed?

Posted by: sah67 (---.bu.edu)
Date: November 25, 2008 02:18PM

Trustnduzt
Not sure if you have seen this video from last night's Habs/Islanders game,

Sometimes it's helpful to check the most recent messages on a thread before posting ;)

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: November 25, 2008 02:27PM

ftyuv
I had a teammate do this in one of our games last season. When he did it, I fell to the ice, laughing my ass off. It was that funny. :-)

Posted by: cbuckser (134.186.175.---)
Date: November 25, 2008 02:29PM

sah67
Trustnduzt
Not sure if you have seen this video from last night's Habs/Islanders game,

Sometimes it's helpful to check the most recent messages on a thread before posting ;)
Why stop there? People should check all the relevant threads first. It would be even more annoying to have a separate thread of the Islanders' third goal.

Date: November 25, 2008 04:33PM

Kyle Rose
ftyuv
I had a teammate do this in one of our games last season. When he did it, I fell to the ice, laughing my ass off. It was that funny. :-)
Yeah, someone did it at the pickup game I was playing at last week, too. I wonder, does that even out with your +/-? ;-)

Re: OB and ESPN
Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2008 05:39PM

Wow, Ryan is getting a lot of publicity over this. Last night his name and a description of what happened were on the ESPN sportsticker and just now was discussed on "Around the Horn".

I know the Hollywood types think that there is no such thing as "bad publicity", but I think there is in hockey. Too bad ESPN chooses to show the "unfortunate" side of hockey (unless you are an Islander fan ;-) ).

Here's hoping that Ryan can shake it off and put together some strong games on defense. Even if you "deduct" the own goal from his point totals, OB still has more points than Murray.

Posted by: RM 08 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 25, 2008 05:43PM

He has the perfect facial expression for someone who just scored an own-goal in the photo accompanying the article.

Re: Alumni in the pros November 2008 (drifting OT)
Posted by: Give My Regards (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 25, 2008 05:46PM

ftyuv

Wound up watching the whole clip. The #1 blooper seems eerily reminiscent of the end of regulation of a certain playoff game in March 1979 against Providence. As I recall (second-hand), Wilson's empty-net miss in that one was not as dreadful as what happened in the clip, but the result was similar. Even the score was the same -- 5-4 in the waning seconds...

Leneveu recalled 11/27
Posted by: sah67 (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: November 28, 2008 12:19AM

Leneveu was recalled to Anaheim today after JS Giguere left for personal reasons and determined he would not be be back in time for the Ducks' Saturday game against Chicago.

Jonas Hiller will start with Lenny backing him up. Giguere is likely to miss only the Chicago game.

Date: November 30, 2008 03:04PM

During the Rangers broadcast with valiquette going to the bench on a delayed penalty...

John Giannone: "Zherdev has to be careful here... he doesn't want to pull an O'Byrne."

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: November 30, 2008 03:56PM

Cactus12
During the Rangers broadcast with valiquette going to the bench on a delayed penalty...

John Giannone: "Zherdev has to be careful here... he doesn't want to pull an O'Byrne."

OB was a scratch in last night's game v. Buffalo. Apparently things are not good in Montreal (early am practice, major line shuffling), and a lot of players are in the proverbial doghouse, Ryan just might be in a little deeper.

Douglas Murray was also a scratch last night v. Phoenix. I did a quick search to see if he was injured in the Dallas game, but I didn't find anything. I wonder if it had to do with the Coyotes having a lot of speedy kids.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: December 01, 2008 02:25PM

Lenny filled the backup role admirably (hair combed, congratulated Hiller after the game, watched the game versus staring into space) before being sent back down. Unfortunately for him Hiller is playing pretty well this year. I watch all the Ducks games given my Brendan Morrison fetish.

Dougie usually suits up regardless of the opposing team's speed (though that can impact his minutes played). Some press speculation that it was simply to get Alexei Semenov some game time. Perhaps it was his human traffic cone impression here against Chicago: [www.nhl.tv]

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2008 04:32PM

RatushnyFan
Dougie usually suits up regardless of the opposing team's speed (though that can impact his minutes played). Some press speculation that it was simply to get Alexei Semenov some game time. Perhaps it was his human traffic cone impression here against Chicago: [www.nhl.tv]
Maybe more like a rotating slingshot?

Posted by: BMac (132.236.215.---)
Date: December 01, 2008 08:08PM

OK, quick question: if someone scores an own goal (say, Clarkson's Shea Guthrie on Friday at Lynah), WHAT DOES THE ANNOUNCER (in our case, Arthur) SAY?

I'm assuming it would be:
"The first Cornell goal... was scored by number 91, Shea Guthrie! (GUTHRIE!) Assisted by number 15, Collin Greening (GREENING!) and number 14, Riley Nash (NASH!). At x:xx, first period (FIRST PERIOD!) That's Shea Guthrie, assisted by Collin Greening and Riley Nash, x:xx first period."

Immediately followed by a prolonged GUTHRIE! GUTHRIE! and "It's all your fault" directed at #91.

Since ACM posts here, I'm hoping he'll answer. In fact, I hope he says it in his best announcer voice at the monitor. I'll hear. Do you think if I ask nicely he'll record my answering machine message?

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: December 01, 2008 08:15PM

I don't presume to speak for Arthur, but I would hope he'd announce the goal as being scored by the player to whom it is awarded. I can't recall if that's the opposing player who last touched the puck or the closest to the own-goal shooter.

Of course, there would be no assists.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2008 08:16PM

BMac
OK, quick question: if someone scores an own goal (say, Clarkson's Shea Guthrie on Friday at Lynah), WHAT DOES THE ANNOUNCER (in our case, Arthur) SAY?

I'm assuming it would be:
"The first Cornell goal... was scored by number 91, Shea Guthrie! (GUTHRIE!) Assisted by number 15, Collin Greening (GREENING!) and number 14, Riley Nash (NASH!). At x:xx, first period (FIRST PERIOD!) That's Shea Guthrie, assisted by Collin Greening and Riley Nash, x:xx first period."

Immediately followed by a prolonged GUTHRIE! GUTHRIE! and "It's all your fault" directed at #91.

Since ACM posts here, I'm hoping he'll answer. In fact, I hope he says it in his best announcer voice at the monitor. I'll hear. Do you think if I ask nicely he'll record my answering machine message?

goals cannot be credited to a player on the team defending the goal that is scored on.

Ask Ryan O'Byrne, he'll tell you all about how they are credited to the last player to touch it from the other team.

Posted by: BMac (132.236.215.---)
Date: December 01, 2008 08:18PM

My initial reaction: aaawww.

My second reaction: EVEN BETTER!

It would allow me the opportunity to do my own shadow-pa-announcement, shouting exactly what I just described at the top of my lungs, in my best ACM impression. I really hope this happens now, more than before.

Also, Dpperk29, don't mind the Clarkson uniform thread. We like you.

Date: December 01, 2008 08:25PM

BMac
My initial reaction: aaawww.

My second reaction: EVEN BETTER!

It would allow me the opportunity to do my own shadow-pa-announcement, shouting exactly what I just described at the top of my lungs, in my best ACM impression. I really hope this happens now, more than before.

Also, Dpperk29, don't mind the Clarkson uniform thread. We like you.

I only have two concerns about this weekend.
1.) Clarkson plays well
2.) I make it out of Lynah without getting physically assaulted

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: December 01, 2008 08:46PM

Dpperk29
1.) Clarkson plays well

I'm told that buying beer for several people wearing Cornell jerseys before the game in a public drinking or dining establishment has been known to prevent post-game beatings.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2008 08:56PM

Beeeej
Dpperk29
1.) Clarkson plays well

I'm told that buying beer for several people wearing Cornell jerseys before the game in a public drinking or dining establishment has been known to prevent post-game beatings.

Of course you can always revert to that time tested tactic of losing. We try to be nice to those we beat.smashfreak

Date: December 01, 2008 09:04PM

Jim Hyla
Beeeej
Dpperk29
1.) Clarkson plays well

Of course you can always revert to that time tested tactic of losing. We try to be nice to those we beat.smashfreak

so why the hell do you hate Harvard so much?

Posted by: ftyuv (---.c3-0.nwt-ubr2.sbo-nwt.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: December 01, 2008 09:39PM

Dpperk29
Jim Hyla
Beeeej
Dpperk29
1.) Clarkson plays well

Cause they don't beat Harvard. ;-)

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2008 08:12AM

ftyuv
Dpperk29
Jim Hyla
Beeeej
Dpperk29
1.) Clarkson plays well

65-57-7 Us Vs. themdoh

Date: December 02, 2008 09:38AM

Jim Hyla
ftyuv
Dpperk29
Jim Hyla
Beeeej
Dpperk29
1.) Clarkson plays well

65-57-7 Us Vs. themdoh
It's a lot more even over the last four years.

Posted by: CM cWo 44 (---.nyls.edu)
Date: December 02, 2008 12:02PM

ftyuv
Jim Hyla
ftyuv
Dpperk29
Jim Hyla
Beeeej
Dpperk29
1.) Clarkson plays well

Calling the series "even" equally negates your point.

65-57-7 Us Vs. themdoh
It's a lot more even over the last four years.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login