Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Lynah East

Posted by Trotsky 
Lynah East
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 31, 2008 09:45PM

Per the broadcast of their home opener, Bright has added a fog horn that blares when they score, they now do intros in a darkened arena with follow spots, and they have ordered a video scoreboard, although it hasn't yet arrived and is on back order.

Please mock accordingly.

Re: Lynah East
Posted by: oceanst41 (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: October 31, 2008 11:53PM

Trotsky
Per the broadcast of their home opener, Bright has added a fog horn that blares when they score, they now do intros in a darkened arena with follow spots, and they have ordered a video scoreboard, although it hasn't yet arrived and is on back order.

Please mock accordingly.

What better way to whip their fan into a frenzy? woot

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 01, 2008 12:15PM

why the need to mock, other than because it's Harvard.

That type of intro has been commonplace in sports for many years. It's not my taste but I certainly do not mock it.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 01, 2008 12:28PM

Rich S
QED. See also, Clarkson.

Date: November 01, 2008 01:57PM

ahhh....so you like to mock "third rate" Tech schools? That's funny except that your boy Al is way off target with his assessment.

Better that you should mock a "third rate Ivy."

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 01, 2008 01:59PM

Why do you let your buttons get pushed so easily?

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: November 01, 2008 03:04PM

Rich S

Mostly because those sorts of intros and bells-and-whistles video scoreboards are usually reserved for arenas where the fans actually, y'know, show up and care about the sporting events.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2008 03:19PM

Rich S

That type of intro has been commonplace in sports for many years. It's not my taste but I certainly do not mock it.

Rich S
ahhh....so you like to mock "third rate" Tech schools? That's funny except that your boy Al is way off target with his assessment.

Better that you should mock a "third rate Ivy."

Rich, why do you have to start it all over again? No one but you has said anything about third rate. If you want to start a flame war, you certainly know how.

Posted by: LaJollaRed (---.hsd1.dc.comcast.net)
Date: November 01, 2008 05:10PM

I'm a bit of an old-fashioned purist, so I beg to differ:

I've long suspected there's a direct correlation between the amount of distracting crap at a sporting event and the apathy of the fan base. I swear, sometimes you're shocked when they actually play baseball at Padres games.

When I was in high school, and for my first two years at Cornell, the San Diego Gulls (in their 3rd or 4th reincarnation) played a few unremarkable seasons. It got to the point where going to the games was intolerable: The piped in music, the cheerleaders, the excessive advertisements, the blaring, fake, "crowd noise," and the embarrassing attempts to liven up every millisecond of downtime made those games at the IpayOne Center (nee San Diego Sports Arena) just god-awful. Hockey fans stopped going, and eventually the middle-school crowd got bored too.

During this year's NBA playoffs a few old timers on ESPN mused for a few minutes about how prolonged, loud, and completely obnoxious the player introductions were. The NHL isn't as bad as the NBA when it comes to this sort of thing, but it's a dangerously thin ice sheet they're playing with. Now, I like watching players skate out of an inflatable shark's head as much as anyone else, but I don't think it adds anything to the game that it doesn't also take away. Give me the coach's daughter singing "Oh Canada" and the local dairy queen struggling through the Star Spangled banner, and I'm ready to roll. Throw in an octogenarian on organ and I'm in heaven.

The sad truth is, hockey - somehow much more than other sports - has a tough time appealing to people who didn't grow up with it. I am anomalous in this respect, I know.

Mega-Screens and "bells and whistles" are, I sadly believe, symptomatic of hockey trying to compete with the cocky, self-centered, belligerent bravado of the other major American sports leagues. Hockey's biggest fault (and, greatest attribute) is that it's not a sport that celebrates individual effort. Even with the rise of figureheads like Gretzky and (so people tell me) Crosby, the game remains about the team, and remains oddly unmarketable to people looking for Albert Bell, Michael Jordan, and Terrel Owens.

Do I fault Harvard for putting in a jumbo tron? Absolutely not. It's their prerogative to both win games and raise school spirit. But whatever mystique their rink had will slink away one season of ticket holders at a time. You can't smell the ice with your nose pointed at the replay.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2008 05:26PM by LaJollaRed.

Date: November 02, 2008 09:20AM

Jim,

The fact is that Al started the flaming by labelling Clarkson a "third rate Tech school" which is a grossly inaccurate assessment.

If you object to me pointing that out, take it up with Al.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: November 02, 2008 09:21AM

Rich S
Jim,

The fact is that Al started the flaming by labelling Clarkson a "third rate Tech school" which is a grossly inaccurate assessment.

Al hasn't posted in this thread, so I don't see how that's relevant here.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: November 02, 2008 09:35AM

jtwcornell91
Rich S
Jim,

Al hasn't posted in this thread, so I don't see how that's relevant here.

Maybe YOU should take it up with Al privately and stop clogging a discussion about Bright. On the other hand, if you have something constructive to say on the topic of fog horns and Jumbotrons. . .

Date: November 02, 2008 09:54AM

I expressed my opinion on them earlier in this thread. Maybe you should read more carefully.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 02, 2008 10:09AM

LaJollaRed's post is a well-tuned Wurlitzer of wisdom. Hear, hear.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2008 10:10AM by Scersk '97.

Date: November 02, 2008 10:58AM

Rich S
I expressed my opinion on them earlier in this thread. Maybe you should read more carefully.

There you go again. I saw your one post on the topic. I also read your multiple others.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2008 11:12AM by nyc94.

Posted by: BMac (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 02, 2008 11:58PM

The sad thing is that even in the NBA, where you see the player's faces, the attempt to turn the circus crap down a notch has had mixed results.

Mark Cuban tried turning off music during games and it didn't work too well. On the other hand, the Lakers' return to using focused lighting on the court, just like ol' days, was a winner (if you can read their awful purple website).

Cool pics here.

In any case, since we have one of the very few sports arenas in the country where we can keep up the energy without any circus bullshit, I think we're 100% entitled to lord it over anyone who doesn't, and that's that.

Posted by: cth95 (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: November 03, 2008 08:16AM

BMac
The sad thing is that even in the NBA, where you see the player's faces, the attempt to turn the circus crap down a notch has had mixed results.

Mark Cuban tried turning off music during games and it didn't work too well. On the other hand, the Lakers' return to using focused lighting on the court, just like ol' days, was a winner (if you can read their awful purple website).

Cool pics here.

In any case, since we have one of the very few sports arenas in the country where we can keep up the energy without any circus bullshit, I think we're 100% entitled to lord it over anyone who doesn't, and that's that.

That is really cool. I hope it catches on. I can't stand all of the music and the advertising lights constantly reflecting on the court in most arenas. It makes it hard to concentrate on the game.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: November 03, 2008 11:41AM

Rich S
Jim,

Right, right, right. As we've gone over, the proper label would've been "second rate tech school." I'm sure Al would agree to that modified version if you just asked nicely.

Date: November 03, 2008 11:52AM

BMac
On the other hand, the Lakers' return to using focused lighting on the court, just like ol' days, was a winner (if you can read their awful purple website).

Cool pics here.
That's a good look. (The lighting, not the wobsite.)

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: November 03, 2008 12:01PM

BMac

Cool pics here.

I heard that one of the reasons hockey started playing music at every stoppage is that it covered up obscenities shouted by the fans which could be picked up on TV. It's clearly evolved from there, however.

Date: November 03, 2008 02:17PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
BMac

Cool pics here.

I heard that one of the reasons hockey started playing music at every stoppage is that it covered up obscenities shouted by the fans which could be picked up on TV. It's clearly evolved from there, however.
Wouldn't it have been easier just to not televise games from Philadelphia? :-D

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 03, 2008 04:30PM

Speaking of Lynah East, has anyone who ordered tickets for the Lynah East game actually received them in the mail yet?

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: November 03, 2008 04:42PM

Jacob '06
Speaking of Lynah East, has anyone who ordered tickets for the Lynah East game actually received them in the mail yet?
Not me. I was wondering the same thing.

Posted by: sah67 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 03, 2008 05:14PM

Jacob '06

When I ordered mine, the ticket office staffer mentioned they wouldn't be mailed out until December or January.

Posted by: Killer (---.fidelity.com)
Date: November 03, 2008 05:49PM

sah67
Jacob '06

When I ordered mine, the ticket office staffer mentioned they wouldn't be mailed out until December or January.

That sounds familiar. I think the guy told me something about them going out a month or so before the game.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 03, 2008 06:28PM

Killer
sah67
Jacob '06

That sounds familiar. I think the guy told me something about them going out a month or so before the game.
Seems to me last year they came a week or two before the game. The Harvard ticket office seems like a pretty well-run shop to me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login