Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Alumni in the Pros - October 2008

Posted by Beeeej 
Alumni in the Pros - October 2008
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: October 02, 2008 04:20PM

The Anaheim Ducks have sent David LeNeveu back to Iowa for training camp with the Iowa Chops (AHL).

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Re: Alumni in the Pros - October 2008
Posted by: Luke 05 (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: October 02, 2008 08:05PM

Raymond Sawada headed to the Manitoba Moose of the AHL

[stars.nhl.com]

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 03, 2008 08:43AM

Beeeej
The Anaheim Ducks have sent David LeNeveu back to Iowa for training camp with the Iowa Chops (AHL).
Leneveu fortunate not to be Jewish or Muslim.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: October 03, 2008 02:05PM

billhoward
Beeeej

What, they don't have lamb chops in Iowa? In Bosnia they make beef ham.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: October 03, 2008 04:48PM

jtwcornell91
billhoward
Beeeej

When I was growing up, we had kosher beef bacon instead of real bacon for breakfast.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2008 07:03PM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Date: October 03, 2008 09:06PM

jtwcornell91
billhoward
Beeeej

Those crazy Bosniaks.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: October 04, 2008 03:35AM

Beeeej
Those crazy Bosniaks.

I have to confess I knew the word Bosniak, but only from Wikipedia. My Bosniak friends actually referred to the Bosnian Croats as "Catholics". As in "Muslims, Catholics and Serbs".

Heading rapidly into John Spencer territory...

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: October 04, 2008 07:32AM

jtwcornell91
"Muslims, Catholics and Serbs"

...oh, my!

- Steve Worona

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.itt.com)
Date: October 06, 2008 12:42PM

jtwcornell91

And in Soviet Russia, ham beefs you!

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: October 06, 2008 03:56PM

DeltaOne81
jtwcornell91

And in Soviet Russia, ham beefs you!
I'm not sure what that means, but I'm pretty sure it's not pleasant. :-O

Posted by: AnneDVM (---.209.51.230.conversent.net)
Date: October 07, 2008 05:42PM

Matt Moulson has been named to the final roster of the LA Kings and will start on the top line this weekend:
[www.dailybulletin.com]

Posted by: dietlbomb (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 07, 2008 07:25PM

AnneDVM
Matt Moulson has been named to the final roster of the LA Kings and will start on the top line this weekend:
[www.dailybulletin.com]

Also on that top line is Dustin Brown; the Ithaca Connection?

Posted by: cbuckser (134.186.175.---)
Date: October 07, 2008 07:33PM

dietlbomb

The Ithaca Connection with Slovenian Protection?

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 07, 2008 07:43PM

AnneDVM
[www.dailybulletin.com]

With the signing of Patrick O'Sullivan finally getting done today, Matt likely will not end up on the first line. I could actually see him moving all the way down to the third line just because he had pretty good chemistry with Handzus last season, but only time will tell.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 08, 2008 02:07AM

cbuckser
dietlbomb

The Ithaca Connection with Slovenian Protection?
Too bad it's not true (per Jacob '06's post) because that's catchy.

Posted by: jeff '84 (71.167.167.---)
Date: October 08, 2008 07:59PM

Beeeej

ANAHEIM, CA -- The Ducks announced on Wednesday that they have recalled former Cornell goaltender David LeNeveu from the Iowa Chops, Anaheim’s primary development affiliate in the American Hockey League (AHL).

LeNeveu appeared in 46 career Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference (ECAC) contests over two seasons with the Cornell Big Red. A runner-up for the 2003 Hobey Baker Award, his 1.20 GAA that season set a then-NCAA Division 1 record. He also helped lead Cornell to the Semifinal game of the NCAA Frozen Four Tournament in 2002-03 in addition to being named to the NCAA East First All-American Team. Earning accolades such as the 2003 ECAC Player of the Year and the Ken Dryden Award (ECAC’s Top Goaltender), LeNeveu also owns the NCAA Division 1 record for the best career GAA (1.29).

[www.ecachockey.com]

LA Kings Name Dustin Brown Captain
Posted by: amerks127 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 08, 2008 08:25PM

Re: LA Kings Name Dustin Brown Captain
Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: October 08, 2008 11:54PM

amerks127
http://kings.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=385461

Here's a guy who gives 110%:
[kings.nhl.com]

Posted by: mgl11 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 09, 2008 11:27PM

And Lenny is back down to Iowa after a day. Why? Weird salary cap rules.

[latimesblogs.latimes.com]

Date: October 10, 2008 11:53AM

Contract extension metaphorically in hand, Douglas Murray was on the lineup for the Sharks on opening day. 15:24 in ice time, including (oddly) only 40 seconds on the PK - I'm confused because I expected him to do a lot of that this year. No penalties, 3 shots on goal (and one off target), 2 hits, 2 blocked shots. No giveaways or takeaways. Even plus/minus.

Edit to add: The LA Kings and (I hope) Matt Moulson start their season on Saturday against Murray's Sharks.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2008 11:55AM by Josh '99.

Posted by: Avash (---.woh.res.rr.com)
Date: October 11, 2008 04:34PM

Josh '99
Contract extension metaphorically in hand, Douglas Murray was on the lineup for the Sharks on opening day. 15:24 in ice time, including (oddly) only 40 seconds on the PK - I'm confused because I expected him to do a lot of that this year. No penalties, 3 shots on goal (and one off target), 2 hits, 2 blocked shots. No giveaways or takeaways. Even plus/minus.

Edit to add: The LA Kings and (I hope) Matt Moulson start their season on Saturday against Murray's Sharks.

In case anyone wants to watch, free live video of all of tonight's games (and tomorrow's games, too) is here: [gamecenter.nhl.com]

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 12, 2008 12:10AM

Moulson -3 and Murray +3 midway through the third in tonight's Kings-Sharks game.

Murray-Moulson-Brown
Posted by: CU at Stanford (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 12, 2008 12:59AM

I believe there was one shift in which all three former Ithaca residents were on the ice at the same time. Douglas Murray had a good night. Late in the 3rd, he put a hard shot on goal from about 10 feet inside the blue line.

Dustin Brown, early in the 1st, had a brilliant moment of stick-handling that got the TV broadcasters very excited and impressed. Moulson was on the Kings top penalty-kill line.

Re: Murray-Moulson-Brown
Date: October 12, 2008 10:51AM

Moulson did end up playing on the top line with Dustin Brown and Anze Kopitar because O'Sullivan hasn't been declared fit to play yet. I assume that will be the case for today's game against the Sharks also. Moulson looked a little shaky out there in the first and second periods that I watched, but then again so did all of the Kings players.

Date: October 12, 2008 10:34PM

Moulson does manage to score for the Kings tonight, but it was a kick-in. It gets called back.

Posted by: CU at Stanford (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 13, 2008 02:00AM

Sunday's contest...courtesy of SF Chronicle

Sharks still got 'em Kings number B-]

Posted by: AnneDVM (---.209.51.230.conversent.net)
Date: October 13, 2008 01:08PM

An amusing mention of Matt Moulson in the Toronto Sun's fantasy hockey column (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hockey/2008/10/12/7063171.html):

FOXY BY PROXY: MATT MOULSON - Who?? What, you didn't draft Matt Moulson? Every year certain players without any real fantasy value get promoted to play with a team's best players and just like that, they have some value. The best example this season may be Miro Satan. His hands went south years ago, but if he sticks on Sid The Kid's line then he immediately becomes Foxy By Proxy, and a fantasy destination. Kopitar and Brown, the top dogs in Los Angeles, have a new linemate in Matt Moulson, for the time being, and Matt just may enjoy the same sort of points boost that Satan should experience in Pittsburgh. +/- is always a concern with L.A. players, but there may be some sneaky points to be had there and I can pretty much guarantee that Matty's available on your free agent list, waiting for some savvy owner, like you, to take a chance on him. Low-risk, hi-reward.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: October 14, 2008 03:45PM

Here's a (sad) tangent to the alumni thread............isn't this the goalie from BU that was in the '91 game, when BU beat us 5-4 @ Lynah? As I recall, at the end of the game, he skated around the rink giving the Lynah crowd the finger. Hate to bring that up, but it was a very memorable game with Ryan Hughes scoring 4 goals. RIP Scott.

Former BU goalie Scott Cashman dies

Posted by: cbuckser (134.186.175.---)
Date: October 14, 2008 03:55PM

RatushnyFan
isn't this the goalie from BU that was in the '91 game, when BU beat us 5-4 @ Lynah?

Boston College won that game.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: October 14, 2008 04:39PM

cbuckser
RatushnyFan
isn't this the goalie from BU that was in the '91 game, when BU beat us 5-4 @ Lynah?

Boston College won that game.
Whoops, you're right, my bad. My memory isn't what it used to be.

Date: October 15, 2008 12:29AM

Moulson gets his first goal of the season in the third period of the Kings game today on an absolutely perfect shot off the post and in. This makes up for him looking altogether unimpressive for the earlier part of the game.

Video of Moulson's 1st-of-season goal
Posted by: sah67 (---.252-81.static-ip.oleane.fr)
Date: October 15, 2008 07:36AM

can be found via the box score here:
[www.nhl.com]

Nice feed from Dustin Brown

Re: Video of Moulson's 1st-of-season goal
Posted by: JDeafv (---.mae.cornell.edu)
Date: October 15, 2008 09:01AM

I guess it was also the GWG. Congrats Matt!

Re: Video of Moulson's 1st-of-season goal
Date: October 15, 2008 10:38AM

sah67
can be found via the box score here:
[www.nhl.com]

Nice feed from Dustin Brown
Hope your bandwidth is good because the page has a lot of unnecessary crap. I'm trying to embed the video here but it doesn't seem to work.

LA Times article about Moulson
Posted by: pfibiger (---.sip.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 17, 2008 11:14AM

[www.latimes.com]

It'll be interesting to see if he can keep that spot on the first line.

Topher released by the Elmira Jackals
Posted by: redice (---.154.223.2.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: October 17, 2008 11:31AM

Topher's lack of size finally caught up with him:

Elmira Star Gazette
Based on cuts made Wednesday, the Jackals appear to favor size. Cornell University graduate Topher Scott (5-foot-6, 155 pounds), Joseph Ori (6-0, 185), Chris Tutalo (5-9, 184) and Ryan Penney (5-9, 190) were all released, but Martinson said he is building a balanced roster.

Full Star Gazette Story

Re: LA Times article about Moulson
Date: October 17, 2008 11:35AM

pfibiger
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-kingsfyi17-2008oct17,0,480530.story

It'll be interesting to see if he can keep that spot on the first line.

Having watched the games he has played in, I highly doubt it. He is a bit slower than the other two guys on his line, and at times has looked really uncomfortable out there with them. The only way I see him sticking is because of his defensive responsibility, and the fact that Brown and Kopitar were on the ice for way too many goals against last year. However, O'Sullivan is known as a pretty good defensive forward, and has way more offensive upside than Moulson. I would expect O'Sullivan to find his way to the first line relatively soon.

Posted by: crodger1 (---.abtassoc.com)
Date: October 17, 2008 01:29PM

Jacob '06
However, O'Sullivan is known as a pretty good defensive forward, and has way more offensive upside than Moulson. I would expect O'Sullivan to find his way to the first line relatively soon.

If O'Sullivan had been at camp you might be right that he would have been paired with them. Some of King's Coach Terry Murray's comments in one of the intermissions suggested that he just doesn't have a feel for what kind of player O'Sullivan is yet. Who knows.

Anyway, I ran across this on another LA Times page and it seemed related enough to be worth sharing:

Terry Murray is happy with Kings rookie Matt Moulson

Helene Elliott (LA Times)
"He's played very well," Murray said [about Moulson]. "He's smart, he works hard, he's very opportunistic and plays with good players. He's able to, because of his skating ability, get to the right places at the right time."

That reassured Murray that Moulson isn't out of place with Brown and Kopitar.

"That was one of the things I was looking at. Is this going to be able to be something they can work with and develop some chemistry, and is the speed going to be able to be maintained?" Murray said.

"And so far, so good."

-- edited to add additional comments to quote
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2008 01:31PM by crodger1.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 17, 2008 04:32PM

Isn't it interesting how some of the guys who stayed for 4 years are making it? What about all of those who left early?pop

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 17, 2008 04:42PM

Jim Hyla
Isn't it interesting how some of the guys who stayed for 4 years are making it? What about all of those who left early?pop
Well, one of 'em got himself a Calder, a Smythe and three Stanleys.banana

But we haven't seen his like since.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: October 17, 2008 11:54PM

Doug Murray is out of the Sharks' lineup tonight with an upper body injury. Sounds like a day to day thing but the FSN announcers didn't have any details and didn't know when he might be back in the lineup.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.dsl.scrm01.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 19, 2008 02:38AM

Iggulden enjoying Bridgeport's up-tempo style
Posted by: amerks127 (---.opac.cornell.edu)
Date: October 23, 2008 01:57PM

Date: October 23, 2008 05:54PM

Jacob '06
Having watched the games he has played in, I highly doubt it. He is a bit slower than the other two guys on his line, and at times has looked really uncomfortable out there with them. The only way I see him sticking is because of his defensive responsibility, and the fact that Brown and Kopitar were on the ice for way too many goals against last year. However, O'Sullivan is known as a pretty good defensive forward, and has way more offensive upside than Moulson. I would expect O'Sullivan to find his way to the first line relatively soon.

Well, looks like you're partly right, unfortunately -- the King's notebook for yesterday is showing Moulson as a probable healthy scratch for Friday's game, replaced by Kyle Calder.

King's Notebook
Calder most likely will replace Matt Moulson skating on the Kings No. 1 line at St. Louis on Friday. Moulson has skated on the Kings top line for the first five games of the season, scoring 1-0-1 with a minus-3 rating. His goal was the game winner vs. Anaheim on Oct. 14.

[kings.nhl.com]

Posted by: pfibiger (---.sip.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 27, 2008 04:18PM

Looks like Topher Scott has joined Kevin McLeod on the Texas Brahamas of the CHL:

[ibleedpurpleandblack.blogspot.com]

AitP - Oct 2008 - Moulson back in lineup
Date: October 30, 2008 10:29AM

Jacob called it:

Jacob '06
I would expect O'Sullivan to find his way to the first line relatively soon.

According to this Daily News story, O'Sullivan returns to the top line, and Moulson should be the LW on the 4th line tonight (with Raitis Ivanans and Derek Armstrong) against the Canucks.

The game is on FSW at 10:30ET.

Date: October 30, 2008 10:44AM

KeithK
Doug Murray is out of the Sharks' lineup tonight with an upper body injury. Sounds like a day to day thing but the FSN announcers didn't have any details and didn't know when he might be back in the lineup.

Douglas is apparently back in the lineup, and should be playing tonight against the Red Wings (he played in the last couple of games).

While searching I ran across a slightly old collection of him engaging in some rather non-collegiate fisticuffs. I don't think it's been shared here before -- apologies if it has:

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.innovestsystems.com)
Date: October 30, 2008 11:38AM

Beeeej

Does Jay Latulippe play for them? he would fit right it.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 30, 2008 12:48PM

From the same place that brought you Ingemar Johansson.

The proud Ivy tradition continues. One appreciative (?) comment on Youtube: "Murray is f----g strong! I don´t whant to meet him in a dark alley when he has lost a game and is high on crack with a par off socks hanging out off the arse!"

Since Douglas is our guy, he's spirited and recalls the ageless traditions of the NHL. Were it a Clarkson alum, we'd probably think differently.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.innovestsystems.com)
Date: October 30, 2008 01:03PM

billhoward
Were it a Clarkson alum, we'd probably think differently.

Bill, I am starting to wonder if you are trying to get a reaction. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure you're a great guy, but that's twice in less than a week.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: October 30, 2008 01:38PM

Dpperk29
billhoward
Were it a Clarkson alum, we'd probably think differently.

Bill, I am starting to wonder if you are trying to get a reaction. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure you're a great guy, but that's twice in less than a week.
Easy, Cowboy. He was poking fun at us, not you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login