Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Harvard Hockey - Trouble in Paradise?

Posted by TimV 
Harvard Hockey - Trouble in Paradise?
Posted by: TimV (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 14, 2008 11:18AM

Seems like they're missing some guys from the current roster: Jack Christian, Kyle Richter, Alex Killorn, Colin Moore, Sam Bozoian, Dan Moriarity.
See it here: 2008-2009 Harvard Rosterbanana
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2008 11:28AM by TimV.

Re: Harvard Hockey - Trouble in Paradise?
Posted by: Flyers1037 (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: September 14, 2008 01:37PM

Well, if this is true, that would certainly change the way the ECAC would play out. They also have 3 goalies listed on their roster, none of which are Richter, which indicates that it's not just an omission of names. Nobody would carry 4 goalies.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 14, 2008 02:24PM

Flyers1037
Nobody would carry 4 goalies.

I'm pretty sure SLU did it last year, and several teams have done it over the years.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 14, 2008 03:19PM

One of the Harvard people that posts regularly on USCHO thinks the missing players simply haven't had their photos taken yet. Doesn't really explain why their names would not be on the roster. Maybe those guys are going to focus on academics since their futures on Wall Street are a little less certain.

Date: September 14, 2008 03:37PM

You're right, I just don't see much logic in doing it. Especially with SLUt carrying 2 freshmen last year, unless they are really high on both.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 14, 2008 05:04PM

Jacob '06
Flyers1037

I'm pretty sure SLU did it last year, and several teams have done it over the years.

Ok, I'll bite:

Davenport
DiLeo
Scrivens
Garman

Date: September 14, 2008 06:46PM

Christ. I am getting so out of the loop. This is what I get for moving so far south of Ithaca. Schafer usually keeps his seniors on the roster even if they're not going to get playing time, at least from what I would see.

Richter will not be on the roster
Posted by: amerks127 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: September 14, 2008 11:12PM

I was told last Tuesday from a source on our team that Richter wouldn't be playing this year for Harvard.

Given their record when Richter gave up more than 2 goals, I would say Sucks' offense is gonna have to be a lot better this year or else they're going nowhere.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2008 01:24PM by amerks127.

Posted by: sah67 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 15, 2008 12:46AM

ithacat
Jacob '06
Flyers1037

Ok, I'll bite:

Davenport
DiLeo
Scrivens
Garman

DiLeo graduated last year, rightly proud of of his 18.85 GAA in the season-ending ECAC consolation against Colgate ;)

Posted by: redice (---.154.221.115.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: September 15, 2008 10:23AM

sah67
ithacat
Jacob '06
Flyers1037

Ok, I'll bite:

Davenport
DiLeo
Scrivens
Garman

DiLeo graduated last year, rightly proud of of his 18.85 GAA in the season-ending ECAC consolation against Colgate ;)

He graduated? That's terrific. I was under the impression that he hadn't yet graduated. But, would not be on the 08-09 team with the arrival of Garman.

Posted by: nr53 (---.cisco.com)
Date: September 15, 2008 01:17PM

redice
sah67
ithacat
Jacob '06
Flyers1037

Ok, I'll bite:

Davenport
DiLeo
Scrivens
Garman

He graduated? That's terrific. I was under the impression that he hadn't yet graduated. But, would not be on the 08-09 team with the arrival of Garman.

Nope, he's still on the team according to the roster on the team's page.
[cornellbigred.com];

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 15, 2008 09:40PM

TimV
Seems like they're missing some guys from the current roster: Jack Christian, Kyle Richter, Alex Killorn, Colin Moore, Sam Bozoian, Dan Moriarity.
I don't know what it looked like when you posted, but as I am posting Killorn, Moore, Bozoian, and Moriarity are all included on the roster. Christian and Richter are not.

Date: September 15, 2008 09:44PM

nr53
redice
sah67
ithacat
Jacob '06
Flyers1037

Ok, I'll bite:

Davenport
DiLeo
Scrivens
Garman

Nope, he's still on the team according to the roster on the team's page.
[cornellbigred.com];

Whoops my bad...for some reason, I thought I remembered Schafer putting him in in the final minutes of the Colgate consy game because it was his last hurrah as a senior.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: September 15, 2008 10:14PM

Weren't there before. Maybe numbers weren't yet assigned?

Posted by: Drew (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 15, 2008 10:32PM

David Harding
TimV
I don't know what it looked like when you posted, but as I am posting Killorn, Moore, Bozoian, and Moriarity are all included on the roster. Christian and Richter are not.

USHR states Christian and Richter may have been disciplined with a one year suspension for cheating......eligible again next year. Hmmmm.

Posted by: grizzdan24 (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: September 15, 2008 10:39PM

Drew
USHR states Christian and Richter may have been disciplined with a one year suspension for cheating......eligible again next year. Hmmmm.

O the cheers that could come out of that one!

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 15, 2008 10:55PM

Drew
Why cheat when everyone gets an A?

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 16, 2008 11:05AM

Like your boy Marinaro used to get?

Posted by: jts15 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 16, 2008 12:44PM

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: September 16, 2008 01:17PM

jts15
http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2008/09/16_harvards.php

<rehearsal>

"Wherrre is Rich-ter?"
*clap clap clapclapclap*

</rehearsal>

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: September 16, 2008 02:18PM

Marinaro got "A"s??? You're thinking of Dryden, right?...:-D

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 16, 2008 02:27PM

jts15

Didn't Ted Kennedy sit out a year at Harvard for "personal reasons" or is that just urban legend?

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.111.251.50.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: September 16, 2008 03:48PM

nyc94
jts15

Didn't Ted Kennedy sit out a year at Harvard for "personal reasons" or is that just urban legend?

Looks like it.
[tafkac.org]

Posted by: billhoward (---.static.qsc.de)
Date: September 16, 2008 05:37PM

nyc94
jts15

Fact: When Teddy returned to campus years later to address the Harvard community, in order to feel at home, he wrote notes for the speech on his shirt cuffs.

Posted by: Steve Rockey (---.empsl.cornell.edu)
Date: September 17, 2008 05:00PM

As I read the rules and the NCAA lets you have 5 years to use 4 years of eligibility but the Ivy's say 4 with possible exceptions. An injury that causes you to miss a full season is often granted as an exception (John Glynn on our lax team) but cheating will not be a persuasive reason. If Christian can not play hockey as a senior (next year not this year) it would probably kill any dreams of pro hockey. So what does he give up hockey or the Harvard degree? Richter will face the same decision his senior year. This year he can play Junior A and play next year at Harvard as a junior.

By the way unless I totally misunderstand all this Troy Davenport should be in this same situation because of taking a year off (not for academics) to play another year of Juniors. Did he ask for and receive an exception?

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 17, 2008 05:18PM

Someone on USCHO was saying that Christian is sitting out due to post-concussion syndrome, not cheating.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: September 17, 2008 05:55PM

Jacob '06
Someone on USCHO was saying that Christian is sitting out due to post-concussion syndrome, not cheating.
He probably just can't remember the cheating.

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: September 18, 2008 10:06AM

I believe the NCAA's clock (once started) runs whether one's in or out of school. I don't believe the Ivy's clock counts if one's out of school. That would help explain Davenport's situation -- Harvard's Bozoian is under the same deal.

Richter is too old to play junior.

Unfortunately, Harvard will probably be fine.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 19, 2008 07:28AM

ithacat
Unfortunately, Harvard will probably be fine.

As long as there's a Goldman Sachs.

Date: September 21, 2008 10:00PM

Pretty confident that Dryden earned his...not so with Marinaro.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: September 21, 2008 10:12PM

Rich S
Pretty confident that Dryden earned his...not so with Marinaro.

Any evidence of that?

Or just too lazy to find a toilet?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: September 22, 2008 07:02AM

His academic exploits were legendary.

Plenty of evidence from that time. HS classmates of mine who knew him as well as my brother who did.

Or were you referring to Dryden?

Date: September 22, 2008 08:40AM

Rich S

Plenty of evidence from that time. HS classmates of mine who knew him as well as my brother who did.
Isn't it sad that someone can be so obsessed over Cornell that, nearly forty years after the fact, this absolutely irrelevant bullshit about Marinaro continues to be brought up? Is this sick, or what? Isn't there a good shrink somewhere in New Jersey who can help this poor man? Can't one of the many MD regulars recommend someone who can talk him through and relieve him of his problem?

I suspect he'll be ranting about Marinaro on his deathbed.

Posted by: Townie (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 22, 2008 08:56AM

Al DeFlorio
Rich S

Isn't it sad that someone can be so obsessed over Cornell that, nearly forty years after the fact, this absolutely irrelevant bullshit about Marinaro continues to be brought up? Is this sick, or what? Isn't there a good shrink somewhere in New Jersey who can help this poor man? Can't one of the many MD regulars recommend someone who can talk him through and relieve him of his problem?

Some conditions are incurable.

Posted by: KenP (---.nws.noaa.gov)
Date: September 22, 2008 02:49PM

Townie
Al DeFlorio
Rich S

For example, an aversion to all things Hahvahd once Big Red Hockey is in your blood..
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2008 02:13PM by KenP.

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: September 22, 2008 03:08PM

Townie
Al DeFlorio
Rich S

Speaking of that...where's Nickerson?

Date: September 22, 2008 04:02PM

ithacat
Townie
Al DeFlorio
Rich S

Speaking of that...where's Nickerson?

Zing!

But on a serious note...last I heard he was assaulting Finnish men in locker rooms.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2008 04:11PM by sah67.

Posted by: Rich S (209.212.23.---)
Date: September 22, 2008 04:42PM

and I suspect you'll continue to deny the truth from six feet under. You should get help for your own issues.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 22, 2008 06:04PM

Al DeFlorio
Drew
Why cheat when everyone gets an A?

Rich S
Like your boy Marinaro used to get?

Rich, I think this time you did "incite a riot".uhoh You've been around eLynah long enough to know the running line about grade inflation at Harvard and always getting an A. Therefore I think that Al's comment is right in line with that.

For you to bring up Marinaro (and I have no idea, nor do I care, what grades he got) was an overhead slam and not really related to the idea of Harvard's grade inflation (which by the way has been well documented, even by Harvard).

It seems to me you were asking for a reply from Al, which you got. None of this has anything to do with "Trouble in Paradise". Hopefully we won't need to go any further with this thread drift.help

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.itt.com)
Date: September 24, 2008 01:41PM

I think you virtually guaranteed it will continue, Jim.

[www.msnbc.msn.com]

Pre-season poll
Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: September 24, 2008 08:59PM

Rich S
and I suspect you'll continue to deny the truth from six feet under. You should get help for your own issues.

There's a good plot for a TV show rolling around here.

First poll of the season - Rich S reminds us most of which of the following characters:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2008 09:02PM by marty.

Re: Harvard Hockey - Build a Website for Clarkson?
Posted by: billhoward (---.sub-75-193-219.myvzw.com)
Date: September 25, 2008 01:25AM

Al DeFlorio
Rich S

Isn't it sad that someone can be so obsessed over Cornell that, nearly forty years after the fact, this absolutely irrelevant bullshit about Marinaro continues to be brought up? Is this sick, or what? Isn't there a good shrink somewhere in New Jersey who can help this poor man? Can't one of the many MD regulars recommend someone who can talk him through and relieve him of his problem? I suspect he'll be ranting about Marinaro on his deathbed.

The Peace Corps teaches backward countries -- sorry, emerging countries -- to do things such as create fish ponds so the indigenous populaton can have protein and no longer has to rely on air drops of Spam. Maybe our domestic Peace Corps (VISTA?) could create a bitchin' hockey website for Clarkson fans so they'd have their own watering hole to hang out around.

I forget: Was Marinaro after college able to support himself? He's not on food stamps or anything? The Rich S Report has me concerned.

Date: September 28, 2008 08:16AM

billhoward
Al DeFlorio
Rich S

Isn't it sad that someone can be so obsessed over Cornell that, nearly forty years after the fact, this absolutely irrelevant bullshit about Marinaro continues to be brought up? Is this sick, or what? Isn't there a good shrink somewhere in New Jersey who can help this poor man? Can't one of the many MD regulars recommend someone who can talk him through and relieve him of his problem? I suspect he'll be ranting about Marinaro on his deathbed.

The Peace Corps teaches backward countries -- sorry, emerging countries -- to do things such as create fish ponds so the indigenous populaton can have protein and no longer has to rely on air drops of Spam. Maybe our domestic Peace Corps (VISTA?) could create a bitchin' hockey website for Clarkson fans so they'd have their own watering hole to hang out around.

I forget: Was Marinaro after college able to support himself? He's not on food stamps or anything? The Rich S Report has me concerned.

No food stamps here either but thanks for the concern.

Me thinks you should be at least as concerned about Al's obsession with Clarkson and his anti-Tech diatribes. His "third rate Tech school" comments still have me laughing.

Poor guy...I would think he'd have no trouble finding better things to do up there on the Cape.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: September 28, 2008 09:08AM

You mean like better things to do than come on another team's fans' forum and trash one of its most respected members?

Date: September 28, 2008 02:05PM

who?

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: September 29, 2008 11:10AM

Rich S
No food stamps here either but thanks for the concern.

Me thinks you should be at least as concerned about Al's obsession with Clarkson and his anti-Tech diatribes. His "third rate Tech school" comments still have me laughing.

Poor guy...I would think he'd have no trouble finding better things to do up there on the Cape.
Unless Al is going on the Clarkson hockey board and trolling like you do here, you don't have a leg to stand on.

But to be fair, Clarkson isn't a third rate tech school. Second rate is probably more like it.

Date: September 29, 2008 12:15PM

I've been trying to stay out of this nonsense, but, at the risk of stirring the pot further, I feel I have to clarify.

I never said Clarkson was a "third-rate" school. I said "third tier" among engineering schools. There's a difference. MIT, Stanford, Berkeley, Caltech, Illinois, Carnegie Mellon and 10-15 or so others are "first tier" engineering schools. A "second tier" would include schools like Washington, Florida, Rice, Yale, Duke, Lehigh and another 15-20 or so. There are more than three tiers. "Third-rate" is perceived as a pejorative term, and that is NOT what I said or meant.

Now back to the "troubles" at Harvard.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 29, 2008 01:27PM

If Rich didn't exist, and I believe Rich does, since we've exchanged some private e-mails, much of it cordial, then the sysops here would have to create a bot that tirelessly parses posts, waits for perceived insults to the alma mater of Dave Taylor, and then blasts away on elynah.com. The nice thing about the Rich S model now sputtering about online is that the RS-bot degree of difficulty isn't set so high. (If it were a first date ... well, let's not go there.) It appears programmed so Cornell-side posters triumph in at least seven of ten discussions. Which helps our feeling of self-worth. Because, sorry Grantland Rice: It isn't that you won or lost, but that you played the self-esteem game.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2008 04:24PM by billhoward.

Re: Nonsense?
Posted by: Rich S (130.156.38.---)
Date: September 30, 2008 10:21PM

Al,

You have not done a good job of "staying out of this nonsense." You previously called me "sick", said I was "ranting," and suggested I see a shrink in NJ.

More to the point, you're engaging in revisionist history. I recall your referring to Clarkson as a "third rate" tech school that you, employed at the time by the 'biggest tech company out there" (I am paraphrasing here) did not "give a crap about."

Nice try Al.

And if you think Clarkson is only a third tier Tech school, you're way off base. You demonstrated how out of touch you are with industry's regard for Clarkson and the graduates it turns out.

Ok, no you can go back to trashing Harvard to demonstrate more "obsession."

Protests too much?
Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: October 01, 2008 06:07AM

Rich S

And if you think Clarkson is only a third tier Tech school, you're way off base. You demonstrated how out of touch you are with industry's regard for Clarkson and the graduates it turns out.

Ding! Is that your dinner on the floor Rich?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 01, 2008 07:34AM

Graduateshotline.com

1. MIT
2. Stanford
3. Cal Berkeley
4. Cal Tech
5. Illinois Urbana-Champaign
6. Georgia Tech
7. University of Michigan
8. Cornell University
9. Carnegie Mellon
10. UT Austin
11. Everybody else

Now we can go back to talking about how Harvard sucks.

Re: Protests too much?
Date: October 01, 2008 10:49AM

marty
Rich S

Ding! Is that your dinner on the floor Rich?
I'm confused as to whether you're calling RichS a lady, a dog, or both.

Re: Clarkson website...yes there is one...lol
Date: October 01, 2008 01:55PM

Up until a couple of years ago, Al was a fairly regular poster on the Clarkson website.

I recall his postings were sometimes negative towards Tech. But he can tell you more about that. rolleyes

Date: October 01, 2008 02:04PM

Rich S
Up until a couple of years ago, Al was a fairly regular poster on the Clarkson website.

I recall his postings were sometimes negative towards Tech. But he can tell you more about that. rolleyes

I know syphilis occasionally leads to some cases of mental disorders, but Rich is really starting to worry some of us.

There's a lesson to be learned here about staying away from the locker room at Cheel when Nickerson was occupying it...particularly when he was in rut.

Date: October 01, 2008 02:13PM

What's "in rut" mean?

Aren't you guys supposed to be consumed with the rampant cheating at Harvard instead of me?

And since you're worried, I never set foot in the Cheel locker room when Nickerson was there. Only the cornell co-eds were allowed in. scream

Date: October 01, 2008 02:18PM

Rich S
What's "in rut" mean?

Aren't you guys supposed to be consumed with the rampant cheating at Harvard instead of me?

And since you're worried, I never set foot in the Cheel locker room when Nickerson was there. Only the cornell co-eds were allowed in. scream

Rut

If you need help with any of those other big words, let me know. I know English isn't a top priority at a second-and-a-half-tier engineering school like Tech.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2008 02:20PM by sah67.

Date: October 01, 2008 02:34PM

Thanks for the "education." And also for the arrogance which I can always find here, on the site of a lower tier ivy.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: October 01, 2008 07:45PM

Rich S
Only the cornell co-eds were allowed in. scream

No, sadly Nickerson had to resort to battery to get his jollies: [board.uscho.com].

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Re: Nonsense?
Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 01, 2008 09:24PM

You all may want to try this --> bang

It provides a higher level of entertainment and is generally less painful than reading this thread.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2008 09:25PM by DeltaOne81.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: October 02, 2008 01:10AM

Trotsky
Graduateshotline.com

1. MIT
2. Stanford
3. Cal Berkeley
4. Cal Tech
6. Georgia Tech
8. Cornell University
9. Carnegie Mellon
10. UT Austin
11. Everybody else

Well, the list actually goes up to 55 (Drek Tech -- now that will start a war), but my Firefox browser must be broken. When I search for Clarkson, nothing comes up.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 02, 2008 01:26AM

Swampy
Well, the list actually goes up to 55 (Drek Tech -- now that will start a war), but my Firefox browser must be broken. When I search for Clarkson, nothing comes up.
You will find them, however, on the unranked recommended programs page.

Unless it is your sincere belief that Clarkson is a mediocre school - and I think you are merely engaging in RichS baiting* - please cut this out.

* Pot calling the kettle black? Sure, sure, I'm in no position to be the moral authority on this sort of thing ... but this doesn't feel the same as our usual game: getting him frothing about stupid harmless stuff like syphilitic players or assault-y coaches with a quick trigger on mediocre goalies. This is gobs more personal and drags in guys like dpperk who have done nothing to deserve mockery.

Date: October 02, 2008 12:01PM

ugarte
Swampy

Unless it is your sincere belief that Clarkson is a mediocre school - and I think you are merely engaging in RichS baiting* - please cut this out.

* Pot calling the kettle black? Sure, sure, I'm in no position to be the moral authority on this sort of thing ... but this doesn't feel the same as our usual game: getting him frothing about stupid harmless stuff like syphilitic players or assault-y coaches with a quick trigger on mediocre goalies. This is gobs more personal and drags in guys like dpperk who have done nothing to deserve mockery.

You're quite full of yourself. Not surprising really.

Frothing? Hmmm...I don't see personal attacks such as the kind you direct at Nickerson and Morris, whether in person or online, as truly "harmless stuff." Tasteless, classless, and mean-spirited is a better description. I'd expect better from ivy-educated types. But maybe the inherent arrogance running rampant here explains it.

In the Morris case, most cornell posters have no knowledge of the most important facts of that case, so you come off poorly when trying to speako authoritatively about it.

"Mediocre goalies?" Considering the records of Dan Murphy and Chris Bernard, you have just redefined "mediocre." Don't let the facts get in the way, eh?

Feel free to continue the "persoanl mockery." It's both amusing and pathetic at the same time. And you're correct; you're in no position to be a moral authority.

Posted by: mnagowski (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 02, 2008 12:12PM

I'd expect better from ivy-educated types.

You forget we attended the Godless university.

Date: October 02, 2008 01:05PM

Swampy
Trotsky
Graduateshotline.com

1. MIT
2. Stanford
3. Cal Berkeley
4. Cal Tech
6. Georgia Tech
8. Cornell University
9. Carnegie Mellon
10. UT Austin
11. Everybody else

Guess you filtered out "third rate tech schools." rolleyes

Date: October 02, 2008 02:14PM

Rich S
ugarte
Swampy

Frothing? Hmmm...I don't see personal attacks such as the kind you direct at Nickerson and Morris, whether in person or online, as truly "harmless stuff." Tasteless, classless, and mean-spirited is a better description. I'd expect better from ivy-educated types. But maybe the inherent arrogance running rampant here explains it.

In the Morris case, most cornell posters have no knowledge of the most important facts of that case, so you come off poorly when trying to speako authoritatively about it.

"Mediocre goalies?" Considering the records of Dan Murphy and Chris Bernard, you have just redefined "mediocre." Don't let the facts get in the way, eh?

Feel free to continue the "persoanl mockery." It's both amusing and pathetic at the same time. And you're correct; you're in no position to be a moral authority.
This, for the record, is frothing.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: October 02, 2008 05:45PM

ugarte
Swampy

thank you, I must say, it has been fun to watch though.

Date: October 02, 2008 08:01PM

ugarte
Rich S
ugarte
Swampy

In the Morris case, most cornell posters have no knowledge of the most important facts of that case, so you come off poorly when trying to speak authoritatively about it.

Feel free to continue the "personal mockery." It's both amusing and pathetic at the same time. And you're correct; you're in no position to be a moral authority.
This, for the record, is frothing.

As opposed to just "responding" to your inaccurate and rather snarky comments? I know frothing when I see it, and that ain't it.

Given your sig as a "cranky bastard", I'm not surprised. Have you checked the records of the "mediocre" Murphy and Bernard yet?

Feel free to educate the rest of us when you have.

Posted by: jas27 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 02, 2008 09:33PM

I heard Harvard lost a few key players this year. I wonder how they're going to stack up? Any good new recruits? How do CU's recruits compare?

You're welcome.

YO!!! Can I have my thread back?
Date: October 02, 2008 11:21PM

Please?yark

Re: YO!!! Can I have my thread back?
Posted by: Lauren '06 (206.12.54.---)
Date: October 03, 2008 03:47AM

You know, just because it's there doesn't mean you have to read it. Everybody who checks this thread knows what it's turned into, and--hey--the Harvard roster question has been cleared up. So hit the "mark as read" button and move on, eh?

Excuuuuuuuuuse Meeeeeeee!
Date: October 03, 2008 10:31PM

After 70 posts you join this flame-fest and become The Sheriff?moon

Date: October 04, 2008 09:09AM

Rich S
Swampy
Trotsky
Graduateshotline.com

1. MIT
2. Stanford
3. Cal Berkeley
4. Cal Tech
6. Georgia Tech
8. Cornell University
9. Carnegie Mellon
10. UT Austin
11. Everybody else

Guess you filtered out "third rate tech schools." rolleyes

No, but thanks for pointing this out. I had the filter for "safety schools" turned on. deadhorse

Posted by: BMac (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 06, 2008 01:23AM

Although I'm a current Cornell engineering grad student and BS alum, I must say: I have no qualification whatsoever to judge Clarkson's academic merit.

That is, other than that I'm an engineering grad student and I have never ever heard of Clarkson other than regarding hockey. Also, I have been applying to top firms and always read the list of schools they recruit in- we're usually on it, with a few exceptions. Great engineering schools like Michigan and Illinois oftentimes are not.

In any case, I'm amused to see an alum from Clarkson who clearly cares about what we think of his school. Most people would give up by now, due to frustration and by recognizing the childishness of being the one guy still trying to convince all the other kids in the playground that he isn't stupid.

Keep on truckin'! It's better than studying at 1:23am on a Sunday night, anyways.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.innovestsystems.com)
Date: October 06, 2008 10:28AM

BMac
Although I'm a current Cornell engineering grad student and BS alum, I must say: I have no qualification whatsoever to judge Clarkson's academic merit.

That is, other than that I'm an engineering grad student and I have never ever heard of Clarkson other than regarding hockey. Also, I have been applying to top firms and always read the list of schools they recruit in- we're usually on it, with a few exceptions. Great engineering schools like Michigan and Illinois oftentimes are not.

In any case, I'm amused to see an alum from Clarkson who clearly cares about what we think of his school. Most people would give up by now, due to frustration and by recognizing the childishness of being the one guy still trying to convince all the other kids in the playground that he isn't stupid.

Keep on truckin'! It's better than studying at 1:23am on a Sunday night, anyways.

My impression of Clarkson’s reputation is that it is very good in the northeast and tapers off the farther south and west you go.

I am doing a Co-op with General Electric this semester, and it seems that half the engineers here are Clarkson grads (it might not be half, but at least the dept I am in it is). Talking to other friends who have interned (or have fulltime jobs) with large companies (Lockheed Martin, General Dynamics, IBM, Raytheon, Siemens, etc) I get the impression that those who are located in the Northeast work with a lot of Clarkson Engineers.

Obviously schools like Cornell, Michigan, Georgia Tech, Illinois, and other large schools will have a better reputation nationally due to the vast difference in the number of graduates every year. Clarkson only graduates approximately 600-800 students a year, and probably 400-600 of those are engineers. I am sure Cornell graduates significantly more every year. Clarkson has 200 companies actively recruiting Clarkson grads, and 140 companies were at the career fair last month, pretty impressive numbers for a small school in the middle of nowhere.

All that being said, I am a firm believer that the quality of an engineer has a lot more to do with the person than the school. I am sure there are a lot of bad engineers from Cornell (and Clarkson for that matter) out there building bridges, elevators, airplanes, cars, and other things we trust our lives to everyday.

That is my opinion as a Clarkson student, but your mileage may vary

Date: October 06, 2008 11:08AM

Dpperk29
Clarkson only graduates approximately 600-800 students a year, and probably 400-600 of those are engineers. I am sure Cornell graduates significantly more every year.
Cornell awards about 700 undergraduate engineering degrees each year.

Date: October 06, 2008 12:24PM

Dpperk29
All that being said, I am a firm believer that the quality of an engineer has a lot more to do with the person than the school. I am sure there are a lot of bad engineers from Cornell (and Clarkson for that matter) out there building bridges, elevators, airplanes, cars, and other things we trust our lives to everyday.
That's certainly a fair point, and true about engineers as much as it is about any other background.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: October 06, 2008 12:24PM

Dpperk29
I am sure there are a lot of bad engineers from Cornell (and Clarkson for that matter) out there building bridges, elevators, airplanes, cars, and other things we trust our lives to everyday.

That's your pleasant thought for the day. Knowing some of the people I work with (I'm an engineer) I have to agree with you. I'm almost surprised that those bridges aren't collapsing, elevators plummeting and airplanes falling out of the sky every day. Massive factor of safety ftw!

On a serious note, my company in the SF Bay Area is loaded with engineers from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Has anyone ever heard fo this school in the northeast? I certainly hadn't. But it's well known as a decent engineering school in California. I'm sure Clarkson has the same regional status in the NE like Dpperk29 says.

Posted by: kaelistus (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 06, 2008 01:49PM

Here in Boston, I've certainly heard of Clarkson professionally. In my experience it has a pretty good reputation, and the Clarkson software engineer's I've worked with have all been excellent.

Harvard software engineers, however, have not. So there.

Date: October 06, 2008 02:38PM

KeithK
On a serious note, my company in the SF Bay Area is loaded with engineers from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Has anyone ever heard fo this school in the northeast? I certainly hadn't. But it's well known as a decent engineering school in California. I'm sure Clarkson has the same regional status in the NE like Dpperk29 says.

That makes me think of another reason as to why cornell (and other big engineering schools) has a more widespread reputation as clarkson does. I would wager that more engineers with graduate from cornell or some of the other big engineering schools come from a more widespread area, and probably tend to go farther away from their respective schools for work. the vast majority of clarkson students are from New York or New England, and most of them I know either want to stay in the northeast, or already have jobs and are staying in the northeast.

hell, for all we know Vladivostok Polytechic Institute(not even sure if such a school exists) has the best engineering program in the world, but the world will never know if they all stay in Vladivostok...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2008 07:12AM by jtwcornell91.

Posted by: profudge (---.bluebird.ibm.com)
Date: October 06, 2008 03:55PM

Kieth,

I heard of Cal Poly and almost applied there years ago 1968 - wound up at Swarthmore College instead. My first office-mate when I started at IBM in '87 was a Cal Poly grad also and a good SW engineer; so although HS in Suburban Detroit (prep) and living and working in NE most of time - definitely have a good opinion of Cal Poly. :-)

fwiw REPUTATION CHANGES OVER THE YEARS; but I have ALWAYS thought very highly of CORNELL throughout this time period.

Date: October 06, 2008 03:59PM

KeithK
On a serious note, my company in the SF Bay Area is loaded with engineers from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Has anyone ever heard fo this school in the northeast?
I'm pretty sure Weird Al Yankovic went there, but I'm not sure what that says about the school's efficacy at training engineers.

Date: October 06, 2008 04:40PM

Dpperk29
I am doing a Co-op with General Electric this semester, and it seems that half the engineers here are Clarkson grads (it might not be half, but at least the dept I am in it is). Talking to other friends who have interned (or have fulltime jobs) with large companies (Lockheed Martin, General Dynamics, IBM, Raytheon, Siemens, etc) I get the impression that those who are located in the Northeast work with a lot of Clarkson Engineers.
That sounds a lot like "Older Clarkson guys hiring younger Clarkson guys." That isn't a knock by any means - I'm sure that something similar goes on with Cornell alums too. If your placement and alumni relations offices are worth anything, that's exactly how it should work.

Date: October 08, 2008 12:50PM

kaelistus
Here in Boston, I've certainly heard of Clarkson professionally. In my experience it has a pretty good reputation, and the Clarkson software engineer's I've worked with have all been excellent.

Sorry, this post is an error.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2008 12:56PM by Swampy.

Date: October 09, 2008 02:04PM

Swampy
kaelistus

Of course it's an error. It doesn't slam Clarkson's hockey team or its academics and grads it turns out. rolleyes

Date: October 09, 2008 03:33PM

Rich S
Swampy
kaelistus

Of course it's an error. It doesn't slam Clarkson's hockey team or its academics and grads it turns out. rolleyes

Dude, that wasn't even funny, let it go... Let this thread die...

Date: October 09, 2008 03:37PM

Rich S
Swampy
kaelistus

Rich, you misunderstood. Swampy's post clearly indicated he had edited it. When he said "this post is an error," he actually meant "this post is an error" He posted something in error, then edited to remove whatever it was he'd said in error.

But please feel free to continue appearing paranoid.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: October 09, 2008 10:19PM

Beeeeej,

Guess I misinterpreted Swampy's post.

I was with you until that "paranoid" comment.

Me thinks it's y'all who are constantly slamming Harvard who are "paranoid." But keep it up if it makes you feel better.

Date: October 09, 2008 10:27PM

Rich S
Beeeeej,

Guess I misinterpreted Swampy's post.

I was with you until that "paranoid" comment.

Me thinks it's y'all who are constantly slamming Harvard who are "paranoid." But keep it up if it makes you feel better.

Funny, I don't recall slamming Harvard at all.

But feel free to keep overgeneralizing, too.

- Steve Worona

Date: October 09, 2008 11:56PM

Rich S
Slamming Harvard isn't paranoid, it is petty.

Slamming Clarkson is neither paranoid nor petty; it is cheap fun. A few of us have a pool where we bet on how long it will take you to respond, how angry you sound and how many rolleyes your response contains (to ensure that we realize that you are being sarcastic, I guess).

Re: Slamming Harvard
Date: October 10, 2008 12:05AM

ugarte
Rich S

Slamming Clarkson is neither paranoid nor petty; it is cheap fun. A few of us have a pool where we bet on how long it will take you to respond, how angry you sound and how many rolleyes your response contains (to ensure that we realize that you are being sarcastic, I guess).

If you think I sound angry, clearly you do not know me at all. "Angry" is an adjective that has rarely if ever been used to describe me, except perhaps when I was playing hockey.

"Cheap" is the operative word in your post. Glad you can get "cheap" thrills from your "cheap" fun. As Beeeeeej would say, feel free to keep slamming, criticizing and making fun of Harvard. It may be petty but it's also "cheap." Fits your MO very nicely.

Date: October 10, 2008 12:07AM

Thanks, I appreciate your allowing me to exercise my freedoms.

Date: October 10, 2008 12:35AM

Rich S
ugarte
Rich S

If you think I sound angry, clearly you do not know me at all. "Angry" is an adjective that has rarely if ever been used to describe me, except perhaps when I was playing hockey.

"Cheap" is the operative word in your post. Glad you can get "cheap" thrills from your "cheap" fun. As Beeeeeej would say, feel free to keep slamming, criticizing and making fun of Harvard. It may be petty but it's also "cheap." Fits your MO very nicely.
Who had "9 minutes," "frustrated" and "zero rolleyes but five uses of scare quotes?"

Date: October 10, 2008 01:46AM

ugarte
Rich S
ugarte
Rich S

Who had "9 minutes," "frustrated" and "zero rolleyes but five uses of scare quotes?"

Dammit!! Al wins again.

- Steve Worona

Date: October 10, 2008 12:16PM

Good Clarkson fan:
Dpperk29
Bad Clarkson fan:
Rich S
Good Clarkson fan:
Dpperk29
Bad Clarkson fan:
Rich S
Good Clarkson fan:
Dpperk29
Bad Clarkson fan:
Rich S
Good:
Dpperk29
Bad:
Rich S
Good:
Dpperk29
Bad:
Rich S
Good:
Dpperk29
Bad:
Rich S
Bad:
Rich S
Bad:
Rich S
Bad! Bad! Bad!

Date: October 10, 2008 01:06PM

Josh '99
Good Clarkson fan:
Dpperk29
Bad Clarkson fan:
Rich S
Good Clarkson fan:
Dpperk29
Bad Clarkson fan:
Rich S
Good Clarkson fan:
Dpperk29
Bad Clarkson fan:
Rich S
Good:
Dpperk29
Bad:
Rich S
Good:
Dpperk29
Bad:
Rich S
Good:
Dpperk29
Bad:
Rich S
Bad:
Rich S
Bad:
Rich S
Bad! Bad! Bad!

Josh... if I ever meet you in person I'll buy you a beer for making me laugh as hard as I just did.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.HINET-IP.hinet.net)
Date: October 15, 2008 11:15AM

I was halfway through Josh's post before I figured out what he was doing.

This season can't start soon enough.

Date: October 16, 2008 04:12PM

Did he cheat?

Date: October 16, 2008 05:07PM

Rich S
Did he cheat?

That was funny. :-D

- Steve Worona

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login