Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Alumni in the Pros - September 2008

Posted by Beeeej 
Alumni in the Pros - September 2008
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: September 08, 2008 01:54PM

Sorry... I just got really tired of seeing "Alumnis" and "Auguust" at the top of the forum. It's been September for over a week now.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Abbots
Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 08, 2008 09:33PM

If you look beyond the photo referenced here [elf.elynah.com] and try to read the text [hd.se], you will see several occurrences of "Abbot". It looks to me as though they were both in the starting line-up and Chris scored a goal in the third period of the game being reported.

Re: Alumni in the Pros - September 2008
Posted by: RichH (76.28.11.---)
Date: September 08, 2008 10:41PM

Even further down, there's an ad for a Canadian chain called "Boston Pizza." Because if there's one thing that Boston is famous for...it's pizza??

Date: September 08, 2008 10:57PM

RichH
Even further down, there's an ad for a Canadian chain called "Boston Pizza." Because if there's one thing that Boston is famous for...it's pizza??

Well, it's famous for its regional specialty, candlepin pizza.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: September 09, 2008 01:58AM

RichH

They do strange things in Scandinavia. For instance there's a chain of American-style bars called O'Malley's with Boston sports team logos all over them. On the plus side, they serve Boston Ale,

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 09, 2008 11:14AM

perhaps in the North End?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 09, 2008 11:43AM

RichH
I suppose no one in Canada would have a clue if it were called New Haven Pizza.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: September 09, 2008 05:08PM

RichH
They're setting a low bar. If you call a place "New York Pizza" everyone is bound to be disappointed, but call it "Boston Pizza" and nobody expects much of you.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: September 10, 2008 10:48AM

jtwcornell91
RichH

They do strange things in Scandinavia. For instance there's a chain of American-style bars called O'Malley's with Boston sports team logos all over them. On the plus side, they serve Boston Ale,
They were supposed to open in Ireland but there was a typo. At that point it's in for a dime, in for a dollar.

Date: September 10, 2008 01:10PM

Al DeFlorio
RichH

been there, done that...over rated.

Date: September 10, 2008 01:20PM

Rich S
Al DeFlorio
RichH

Exactly what one would expect from someone who thinks green and yellow uniforms are in the slightest attractive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2008 01:21PM by Al DeFlorio.

Date: September 10, 2008 05:08PM

Al DeFlorio
Rich S
Al DeFlorio
RichH

Exactly what one would expect from someone who thinks green and yellow uniforms are in the slightest attractive.
Ooh, we haven't had an AlD-RichS flame war in a while. popcorn

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: September 10, 2008 05:42PM

Josh '99
Al DeFlorio
Rich S
Al DeFlorio
RichH

Like the chill in the morning air, it is another sign that hockey season is almost here.
Some lucky people already got their 2008-2009 hockey tickets!

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 12, 2008 11:36PM

Al DeFlorio
Rich S
Al DeFlorio
RichH

Al, the road unis are practical: If you have to blow your nose, you don't need a hankie.

Re: Overated
Date: September 14, 2008 12:04PM

What is your problem with Green and Gold? Just upset about the losses last year to Clarkson, or ??? And what does that have to do with an opinion on New Haven pizza?

NH pizza is overrated in the opinion of nearly everyone in our group who had it a couple of times in the past several years. Of course, were spoiled having had the superior NYC and NJ pizza.

Date: September 14, 2008 12:06PM

Josh '99
Al DeFlorio
Rich S
Al DeFlorio
RichH

Yes he's starting early...almost in mid season "form."

Posted by: LaJollaRed (---.hsd1.dc.comcast.net)
Date: September 14, 2008 08:30PM

There's a pizza / sub / burger place near Union's rink that makes some of the best sandwiches I've ever had in my life...It's a little hole-in-the-wall place owned by an Indian family...Near a gas station about three blocks south east of their rink.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Date: September 14, 2008 10:12PM

LaJollaRed
There's a pizza / sub / burger place near Union's rink that makes some of the best sandwiches I've ever had in my life...It's a little hole-in-the-wall place owned by an Indian family...Near a gas station about three blocks south east of their rink.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I usually run screaming from Schenectady at the fastest possible pace after having to go to games there.

Date: September 14, 2008 10:20PM

Rich S

[quotation-marks.blogspot.com]

Oh, and personally, since I've lived in Los Angeles and Southern VA, I know how bad pizza can get. I'm now in CT and can appreciate the quality of New Haven pizza, so I'm not complaining.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: September 15, 2008 08:09PM

RichH
Rich S

Oh, and personally, since I've lived in Los Angeles and Southern VA, I know how bad pizza can get.
Oregon. Picture, if you will, sprouts and no tomato sauce on sourdough.

Posted by: Luke 05 (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: September 15, 2008 08:17PM

In the Traverse City prospects tourney, Ray Sawada has been playing for the Stars team and has 1 pt through 2 games:

[pointstreak.com]

Traverse City thoughts
Monday, September 15, 2008-9:52:am
I watched the replay of the Stars-Blues game from Traverse City last night. I saw most of these guys at development camp in July but there were a few I was looking forward to seeing for the first time or the first time in a while. Anyway, I had a few observations.

First, it looks more like a scrimmage than a game, which is basically what I expected. There's not much structure out there.

Second, the guys I expected to stand out did stand out.

Among the big names, I thought James Neal looked very good. He appears to have an edge to his game right now and that's good to see with camp less than a week away. Jamie Benn, who I thought was a little lackluster at the development camp in July, was very sharp as well. I thought Ray Sawada looked pretty good. I liked what I saw out of Sergei Korostin and Ivan Vishnevskiy as well. Guys like Korostin and Vishnevskiy are still in the development stage, but you can see the skill level in both.

Some of the other players I noticed: I thought Matt Climie was solid after a shaky start. Climie is a guy to watch since he is No.3 on the goaltending depth chart right now. I think Colton Sceviour is a good prospect. Aaron Gagnon looks like he's made some strides. I've liked Trevor Ludwig each and every time I've seen the kid play.

As far as Fabian Brunnstrom, I am not reading too much into anything I see at this point. I'll watch tonight's replay and see how he progresses from the first game to the second and see where he is at the end of the tournament and then were he is this weekend when the real training camp begins. He's a work in progress as he adjusts to like and hockey in North America.

If you get a chance to watch these games keep in mind that these guys are playing against players at their own development level. The real test for guys like Neal and Sawada will come in Frisco and during preseason games. That's when they are going to have to shine to have a shot at making the opening night roster. Nobody's making the Stars based on Traverse City.

[www.andrewsstarspage.com]

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 15, 2008 08:19PM

Trotsky
RichH
Rich S

Oh, and personally, since I've lived in Los Angeles and Southern VA, I know how bad pizza can get.
Oregon. Picture, if you will, sprouts and no tomato sauce on sourdough.
Done. I also just pictured myself spray painting the words "hippie flatbread sandwich" over the word "pizza" on the storefront.

I think you're talking about Pizza Buono...
Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: September 15, 2008 11:40PM

1007 Van Antwerp Road - just around the corner from Union Street. Used to be Homestyle Pizza which moved up to Union Street (and is still very good.) Check it out on Google maps and see if that's the one.

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: September 16, 2008 03:23PM

Topher's returning to Elmira.

[www.oursportscentral.com]

Sorry, if this has been posted -- I may have missed it trying to digest all the pizza chatter.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2008 07:40PM by ithacat.

Posted by: profudge (---.bluebird.ibm.com)
Date: September 17, 2008 12:51PM

The Bakersfield Condors announced:

The rights to McKee, 24, have been acquired from the Checkers in exchange for future considerations. He spent the majority of the 2007-08 season with the Phoenix RoadRunners in the ECHL, while also appearing with Augusta (ECHL) and the Iowa Stars (American Hockey League). He went 6-11-4 with a 3.92 GAA and a .894 save percentage in the ECHL last season.

Spezza, Heatley, Winchester?
Posted by: amerks127 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: September 17, 2008 08:23PM

From Colgate Red Raiders to playing top line in Ottawa. Wow is all I can say.

[tsn.ca]

Posted by: pfibiger (---.sip.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 18, 2008 11:20AM

It looks like even though it's a Bakersfield signing, the Ducks are involved at some level:

[www.bakersfield.com]

He's described as the "fifth goaltender" in the Ducks system, and LeNeveu is the 3rd or 4th. They could easily end up sharing time for the Iowa Chops (what kind of team name is that?) if McKee plays well or there's some kind of injury.

Posted by: AnneDVM (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 18, 2008 01:51PM

A nice interview from last weekend with Doug Krantz about his invitation to Bruins rookie camp and preparing to begin the pro season.

[hammersdogs.blogspot.com]
Go to the September 18th entry.

In the same entry, there is also a link to an interview with Chris Moulson, who was named an assistant captain for the Alberni Valley Bulldogs earlier this month.

Sawada captain of champion Stars prospects team
Posted by: sah67 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 18, 2008 11:59PM

Ray Sawada was captain of the Dallas Stars prospect team which won the championship of the Traverse City Prospects Tournament with an 8-3 victory over Atlanta on Wednesday night. Ray was a +2 with 1 goal in the championship game.

There's a nice photo of Ray accepting the trophy on nhl.com here.

Also, here's a nice little article from the 9/17 edition of the Dallas Morning News:
[www.dallasnews.com]

Re: Spezza, Heatley, Winchester?
Posted by: Cactus12 (---.med.nyu.edu)
Date: September 20, 2008 08:30PM

Watching the Rangers vs. Ottawa preseason game... Winchester's actually not playing bad (and getting quite a bit of ice time). Then again, if I played with Spezza and Heatley, I could probably get a few assists as well.

Date: September 23, 2008 01:21PM

AnneDVM
A nice interview from last weekend with Doug Krantz about his invitation to Bruins rookie camp and preparing to begin the pro season.
Krantz was released by the Bruins yesterday.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: September 23, 2008 05:16PM

Krantz was released before their first preseason game with Montreal, but Bitz did play in the game. He got on the scoresheet, but it was because he was part of the first fight of the game. He didn't get the takedown but scored a big right hand on his way down according to reports. The Bruins won 8-3, along with 4 fights in the game - I guess there was still some bad blood leftover from last year's playoffs.

Posted by: cbuckser (134.186.175.---)
Date: September 24, 2008 01:33PM

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: September 24, 2008 08:11PM

4 year contract extension for Douglas Murray! Congrats Dougie, financial security for life isn't a bad thing. I haven't seen terms yet.

Date: September 24, 2008 08:14PM

"ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun reported the deal is worth $10 million and will be worth $2.50 million annually."

Posted by: redGrinch (---.esr.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 25, 2008 01:20AM

$2.5 mil per? wow! Congrats to Murray of course.

But looking from a salary growth standpoint for the NHL, that's an awful lot for a guy who's got 2 career NHL goals and 14 assists. when guys like Braydon Coburn are at $1.3 mil; Shaone Morrison at $1.9 mil; even guys like Kronwall at $3 mil and Ryan Suter at $3.5 mil....

Date: September 25, 2008 07:50AM

redGrinch
$2.5 mil per? wow! Congrats to Murray of course.

But looking from a salary growth standpoint for the NHL, that's an awful lot for a guy who's got 2 career NHL goals and 14 assists. when guys like Braydon Coburn are at $1.3 mil; Shaone Morrison at $1.9 mil; even guys like Kronwall at $3 mil and Ryan Suter at $3.5 mil....

Murray's impact in the NHL has never been at the offensive end. Clearly they've expressed their opinion of his value to them on the blue line, and I can't really find it in myself to disagree.

- Steve Worona

Date: September 25, 2008 09:49AM

I think opposing players really keep their heads up more with him out there and he changes the flow of the game enough that he's a really valuable player. That said, against good teams with fast forwards (like Dallas in the playoffs) I thought that his foot speed left him exposed at times. But I would definitely want him on my team and I think he'll log enough minutes and continue to be an effective player, thereby justifying his contract.

Date: September 25, 2008 10:10AM

Matt Moulson had a goal and an assist playing on the Kings' top line with Ithaca's Dustin Brown and Anze Kopitar in a preseason game against the Avalanche.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2008 10:11AM by pfibiger.

Posted by: redhair34 (150.108.235.---)
Date: September 25, 2008 10:46AM

pfibiger
Matt Moulson had a goal and an assist playing on the Kings' top line with Ithaca's Dustin Brown and Anze Kopitar in a preseason game against the Avalanche.

Anyone follow the Kings closely enough to know if Matt has a shot of making the team out of camp?

Date: September 25, 2008 01:13PM

redhair34
pfibiger

Anyone follow the Kings closely enough to know if Matt has a shot of making the team out of camp?

The belief on the Kings board on hockeysfuture is that Matt has a very good shot of making the team, and that there are maybe 4 players vying for three open slots... something like that. Ted Purcell (Maine) and Brian Boyle (BC) are two of the others.

I was thinking that if their cards play out right we could potentially have more Cornellians playing in the NHL next year than ever before. The closest I could come up with was '88 (Thanks TBRW!) with Nieuwendyk, Dadswell, Eliot (just 2 games that year) and Hayward.

Next year we'll have:

Murray: a lock
O'Byrne: pretty close to a lock.
Moulson: likely to make the team out of training camp
Iggulden: probably the #1 callup to the Isles.
Sawada: last I read he and James Neal were fighting for a checking line slot on the Stars.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (65.89.46.---)
Date: September 25, 2008 02:04PM

pfibiger
redhair34
pfibiger

The belief on the Kings board on hockeysfuture is that Matt has a very good shot of making the team, and that there are maybe 4 players vying for three open slots... something like that. Ted Purcell (Maine) and Brian Boyle (BC) are two of the others.

This will also partially come down to what happens with the Patrick O'Sullivan situation. He is currently holding out trying to get a contract and the parties both think they are in the right, so we'll see what happens. If O'sullivan does not end up signing with the Kings I would imagine Moulson is a virtual lock to make the team.

Date: September 25, 2008 03:58PM

Jacob '06
This will also partially come down to what happens with the Patrick O'Sullivan situation. He is currently holding out trying to get a contract and the parties both think they are in the right, so we'll see what happens. If O'sullivan does not end up signing with the Kings I would imagine Moulson is a virtual lock to make the team.
Any idea why Pittsburgh just let Moulson walk?

Posted by: sah67 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 28, 2008 12:21PM

Leneveu was in goal for the Ducks' 3-1 pre-season victory over Phoenix on Saturday, stopping 26 of 27 shots while also earning himself a delay-of-game penalty.

Posted by: CM cWo 44 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 28, 2008 09:49PM

I know it doesn't fit the thread, but Hugh Jessimen made the latest cut with the Rangers, and is among the final 26 vying for a spot on the team.

Infuriating news for me personally because he is a huge douche.

Date: September 28, 2008 10:51PM

Follow the "Game Highlights" link on this page [ [islanders.nhl.com] ] to see...well...highlights of the Isles 2-1 OT win over the Bruins. Iggy wears #37 and gets one call-out about halfway through but no mention on his steal leading to Smith's winning OT goal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2008 10:52PM by Al DeFlorio.

Posted by: sah67 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 28, 2008 11:19PM

The game summary on NHL.com shows Leneveu stopping 19 of 23 shots in a 5-4 Anaheim shootout loss to Vancouver tonight, but the game recap says it was J.P. Levassuer in net.

Anyone on the west coast catch this on TV, if it even was televised?

[www.nhl.com]

[www.nhl.com]
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2008 11:20PM by sah67.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: September 29, 2008 12:54AM

Al DeFlorio
Follow the "Game Highlights" link on this page [ [islanders.nhl.com] ] to see...well...highlights of the Isles 2-1 OT win over the Bruins. Iggy wears #37 and gets one call-out about halfway through but no mention on his steal leading to Smith's winning OT goal.

Who is this Yann Danis oitching half of a shutout in net for the Isles ? :) I don't mind rooting for another ECACer to do well.

Posted by: BCrespi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 29, 2008 04:05AM

Roy 82
Al DeFlorio

Who is this Yann Danis oitching half of a shutout in net for the Isles ? :) I don't mind rooting for another ECACer to do well.

Unless he's an Islander. Good luck Iggy, but...yuck.

Date: September 29, 2008 11:21AM

CM cWo 44
I know it doesn't fit the thread, but Hugh Jessimen made the latest cut with the Rangers, and is among the final 26 vying for a spot on the team.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm pretty sure the fact that he made it this far is just lip service to the fact that they wasted a first-round pick on him; there have to be at least ten wings above him on the depth chart, not to mention five centers (one of whom is likely to get moved to a wing to start the season). I'd be pretty shocked if Jessiman didn't start the season in Hartford again.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: September 29, 2008 07:07PM

BCrespi
Roy 82
Al DeFlorio

Unless he's an Islander. Good luck Iggy, but...yuck.

Has Brown started a "Danis for Vezina" site?

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: sah67 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 30, 2008 11:15PM

Matt Moulson's goal has put the Kings ahead 1-0 at the end of the 1st in a pre-season game against Anaheim in Las Vegas tonight.

Leneveu is not in goal for the Ducks tonight, backing up Jonas Hiller instead.

Posted by: amerks127 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: September 30, 2008 11:36PM

Bad night for O'Byrne. Terrible giveaway led to the Red Wing's only goal.

Re: Alumni in the Pros - September 2008 - CHL Strike
Posted by: JDeafv (---.mae.cornell.edu)
Date: October 02, 2008 04:15PM

Looks like the players in the CHL went out on strike.

I guess this will affect guys like Pegararo, McLeod, and Krantz. I can't think of who else is playing down there this season.

Re: Alumni in the Pros - September 2008 - CHL Strike
Date: October 02, 2008 05:36PM

JDeafv
Looks like the players in the CHL went out on strike.
A hockey players strike. That sounds like a great idea.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: October 31, 2008 01:25PM

CM cWo 44

Huge douche traded to Preds for bag of pucks.

Posted by: CM cWo 44 (---.nyls.edu)
Date: October 31, 2008 02:22PM

CowbellGuy
CM cWo 44

HOORAY! Just when I was about to order my authentic Charlotte Checkers sweater.

Date: October 31, 2008 03:31PM

CowbellGuy
CM cWo 44

<almostfamous>What brand of pucks?</almostfamous>

- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2008 03:31PM by Beeeej.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login