Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Casey Jones returns to Cornell

Posted by ursusminor 
Casey Jones returns to Cornell
Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 01, 2008 02:04AM

According to USHR, Casey Jones has left Ohio State to return to Cornell to take the AC position that opened when Brent Brekke left for Miami.

Re: Casey Jones returns to Cornell
Posted by: pfibiger (---.fibertel.com.ar)
Date: August 01, 2008 09:08AM

Ralph,

Thanks for the heads up.

This is a huge move for Cornell. Jones, who was the Associate Head Coach at Ohio State, has been a fantastic recruiter. Brekke meant a lot to this program, but Casey Jones has had great success recruiting in areas where Cornell has traditionally not fared so well: The USNDTP, The USHL as well as the BCHL (which is obviously important to Cornell). I also like that we'll have two forwards as coaches, instead of two defensemen. It can't hurt :)

Posted by: RichH (155.104.37.---)
Date: August 01, 2008 11:35AM

Great news. Before Coach Schafer was hired, Jones was actually at the top of my hope-list for the job. He did a great job with recruiting at Clarkson for a couple of seasons in the mid-90s. His first stint as AC at Cornell was '91-'93 and he was the main recruiter responsible for the classes of '96 & '97.

Welcome home, Casey.

[admin.xosn.com] for the most recent bio.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: August 01, 2008 02:57PM

Yay! This is really great news! It also obviously puts the Succession Plan in place for the sad but eventual day when Cornell kicks Andy to the curb and moves a real leader into the ADship.

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: August 01, 2008 03:33PM

Very odd find whilst googling:

[www.freewebs.com]

looking at the list of other athletes this guy has done...it seems he gets contracted to do them.

Posted by: Tom Tone (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 01, 2008 06:35PM

Athletics put out the official announcement as well.

[www.cornellbigred.com]

Posted by: Jimew (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: August 03, 2008 05:18PM

Congrats Big Red. You got a great coach! I was shocked when I heard the news....what a loss for the Buckeyes. I had the pleasure of meeting Casey Jones when he first came to Ohio State over 10 years ago and it was amazing watching him take a program that didn’t exist to the Frozen Four in a few years. He still has the same passion and energy for hockey that he had when he first came to OSU. It’s still evident from the respect the team has for him.

My nephews will attest to that because they attended the hockey schools at OSU and the first year they went, my sister had to resign them up for extra weeks. He was the talk at the dinner table every night. My nephews and their friends are disappointed and already trying to figure out a way to go to hockey school at Cornell.

Hockey guys: you got a great teacher and a class act.

The university, the team and the community will miss him.

P.S. Thanks for pointing out the site for the figurines. Great Christmas gift for my nephews.

-Jim

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 03, 2008 05:34PM

Here's the link to the Cornell hockey camps for 2008: [www.athletics.cornell.edu]:-)

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 03, 2008 09:51PM

Jimew
Congrats Big Red. You got a great coach! .....

Hockey guys: you got a great teacher and a class act.

The university, the team and the community will miss him.

P.S. Thanks for pointing out the site for the figurines. Great Christmas gift for my nephews.

-Jim

Thanks for the post.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: August 04, 2008 03:27PM

RichH

[www.freewebs.com]

looking at the list of other athletes this guy has done...it seems he gets contracted to do them.
I'm afraid to look at the Jeremy Shockey 12 inch.

Welcome back, Casey. Driving that train, high on..............whoops, wrong Casey.

I had the pleasure of watching Casey Jones play for two years and he coached my hockey PE class my senior year when he was on the coaching staff. That's right, I owe Casey for my wicked skating ability.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2008 03:35PM by RatushnyFan.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: August 04, 2008 05:22PM

RichH

[www.freewebs.com]

Wow, that's pretty neat. I would pay cash money for a Cornell MacFarlane figure to stand next to the Doug Murray bobblehead (yes, I know, but he was "Doug" when the bobblehead was made) on my shelf.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: August 05, 2008 12:27AM

Jimew
I had the pleasure of meeting Casey Jones when he first came to Ohio State over 10 years ago and it was amazing watching him take a program that didn’t exist to the Frozen Four in a few years.

I was all ready to call "gotcha" on this one, convinced they had never made it past the regional finals. But I'm glad I double-checked, and realized I had completely forgotten about their huge overtime upset over Michigan State in Ann Arbor in '98.

I'm excited about Casey's return - he was an inspirational if workmanlike player for the first few years I watched Cornell hockey, and he really has done wonders with the Buckeyes.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: August 05, 2008 05:11PM

Flying up to Minnesota for the '05 NCAAs, I chatted briefly with the parents of Matt McIlvaine, an OSU player. Primarily the conversation consisted of them saying how wonderful Casey Jones was as both a coach and a person and how fortunate their program was to have him.
I think that's about the best possible source - parents of a player, and hopefully he'll be making the same impression on parents of future and current Cornellians.

Posted by: jts15 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 06, 2008 08:11AM

Pulled this from the CHN site.

[blog.collegehockeynews.com]

Casey Jones in line at Cornell?
Posted by: adamw

When I saw that Casey Jones had decided to fill the assistant coaching opening at Cornell, my first thought was “good catch,” and my second thought was “hmmmm.”

Many have argued over the years that Jones, a Cornell alum (1990), was the strategic brains behind Ohio State’s rise from oblivion during his time as John Markell’s assistant. Jones has put his hat in the ring for various head coaching openings, and fallen short. It has also been said that, should Markell be let go, Jones would be in line for the job.

However, it’s all been long thought that Cornell head coach Mike Schafer — who was an assistant at Cornell when Jones was playing — is not a college coaching lifer. He has designs on pro hockey, and some time in the next five years or so, many expect him to leave.

So, putting all of this together — and seeing that, apparently, Ohio State is sticking with Markell — Jones made the move back to his alma mater, to a so-called “lesser conference,” and in so doing, perhaps put himself in position to become the next head coach at Cornell.

Something to think about.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login