Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

New NCAA rules

Posted by nr53 
New NCAA rules
Posted by: nr53 (---.cisco.com)
Date: June 06, 2008 04:44PM

[www.collegehockeynews.com]

Short version:
2 refs, option to go to shootout to eliminate ties, no change icing.

More to come according to the article.

Re: New NCAA rules
Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: June 06, 2008 06:44PM

Seems to me that these changes are simply for the sake of making changes and won't make the game any better. There's a strong element of keeping up with the pros, which I guess is understandable though misguided.

- Two refs: College hockey has had a two ref system before. The refs rarely could agree on how to call the game, so whether or not an infraction was called depended on which ref happened to be closer. Maybe the extra linesman makes a difference (the 90's 2 ref college systemm had only one). But good luck finding another two dozen quality referees.

- Goals by kicking: From the description it doesn't sound like the rule is actually changing. Maybe they're just going to clarify the statement in the book. Can't really argue with this.

- Shootouts: I will never understand why everyone thinks ties are so horrible. If the teams finishs the time allotted and have scored the same number of goals then it's a tie. Big deal. Lengthen OT back to 10 minutes if you want. But shootouts aren't hockey. I hate the idea of deciding a game this way.

- Icing: I don't see why this is necessary. Icing is a defensive tactic. Nothing wrong with it.

- Faceoff location: I can't get worked up about this. But I don't see why it's bad to have a faceoff at the spot of the event (hand pass, puck deflected out, whatever) when it happens in the neutral zeon or high up in the offensive zone. Seems like an unnecessary change.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: June 06, 2008 09:06PM

Has anybody explained why the NCAA is "moving in the direction of eliminating ties from hockey"?

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 06, 2008 10:47PM

Well, overall I like this. I think 2 refs will allow the game to open up by watching for more obstructions, hooking, etc.. The prior 2 refs 1 linesman was faulty because 1 ref always had to worry about lines for offsides, icing, etc.. Trying to do 2 things at the same time didn't work. It works well in the NHL. They partially started with this last year, and had already started to get more refs.

I love the icing rule change. Trying to skate it out after a long forecheck will provide us with more ops. Yes our defense will suffer, and we might not have gotten those mid 90's championships, but we can adjust our defense. I've got confidence in Coach Schafer.

The kicking rule just emphasizes the obvious, that if it hits your skate while you're coming at the goal and trying to stop, then it's not intentional and should count. The ND goal would probably have counted.

I hate shootouts, especially with our short season compared to the pros. The only saving grace is I expect the ECAC will not adopt it, and it doesn't sound like they will count past your league standings.

I don't know about the faceoffs. I'd assume a faceoff just inside the blue line will go down to the faceoff circle, giving the offense a boost. I doubt they'd penalize the offense and move it out of the zone.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.techtarget.com)
Date: June 09, 2008 04:23PM

I've been waiting for the icing rule for a while. That was my favorite of the new NHL rules, and I think it makes for purer hockey. You gotta work for those line changes!

Posted by: polar (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 10, 2008 10:26PM

There were plenty of times this season that I was frustrated by a referee missing a call, either because he didn't see it or didn't think it was correct. I personally think teh four-ref system is the way to go, and I'm glad the change is being made.

And as for the shootout, it's only been made an option. Especially considering college hockey (or at the very least the ECAC) does not award a point for an overtime loss, I feel like a shootout would be a mistake. College hockey certainly does not have the attendance problems the pros do, so why mess with the formula?

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 11, 2008 05:44PM

Trotsky
Has anybody explained why the NCAA is "moving in the direction of eliminating ties from hockey"?

They're not actually moving in that direction; they only said they were. :-D

The shootout "option" isn't really anything new. Back in the mid '90s, Hockey East had a shootout (following the normal 5-minute overtime) for a couple seasons, and they even had their own convoluted point structure for league standings -- 5 points for a win, 0 for a loss, and in the case of a tie, each team got 2 points and the shootout winner got an additional point. The whole mess meant nothing to the NCAA, which ignored shootout results and used the standard W-L-T record for rankings and tourey selection purposes. According to the article, they'd do the same thing now.

Date: June 11, 2008 06:05PM

The old Hockey East shootout points system was vastly superior to the NHL's silliness. A game should be worth a fixed number of points for crying out loud.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: June 12, 2008 09:10AM

KeithK
The old Hockey East shootout points system was vastly superior to the NHL's silliness. A game should be worth a fixed number of points for crying out loud.

The International/European shootout rules are zero-sum. Unfortunately they consider a result in overtime to be equivalent to a result in a shootout: a 2-1 division of points. (I guess with the HE 5-point thing you could split them 4-1 if someone wins in OT and 3-2 if there's a shootout, but to me the game is the game.)

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: June 12, 2008 12:18PM

jtwcornell91
KeithK

The International/European shootout rules are zero-sum. Unfortunately they consider a result in overtime to be equivalent to a result in a shootout: a 2-1 division of points. (I guess with the HE 5-point thing you could split them 4-1 if someone wins in OT and 3-2 if there's a shootout, but to me the game is the game.)
How about calling a win in overtime what it is - a win? I think it's silly to give consolation points for making it to overtime. I realize the NHL wanted to encourage teams to try harder to win in OT (less downside, since you already have a point) but it just transfers the disincentive to the end of the third.

Posted by: mnagowski (---.allfirst.com)
Date: June 12, 2008 05:15PM

A high school coach of mine used to say, "I tie is like kissing your sister."

I think every overtime should be sudden death until a goal.

Date: June 12, 2008 05:44PM

mnagowski
I assume the coach wasn't also an English teacher...
mnagowski
That would be fun. I'd go with that long before I'd go with a shootout.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: June 12, 2008 08:03PM

mnagowski
I agree. Infinite 20-minute OTs in the regular season. One point for a win, zero points for a loss.

Actually, at that point you wouldn't need points, would you?

Posted by: mnagowski (---.allfirst.com)
Date: June 13, 2008 04:42PM

Nope. He was a physical education teacher. And my typing teacher obviously wasn't the cream of the crop either. Nor is this guy.

Actually, at that point you wouldn't need points, would you?

Nope. That's the beauty of it. I wonder what percentage of playoff overtimes end within 10 minutes? 15 minutes? A period?

I think the major problem would be the endurance of college athletes. A double overtime game in the playoffs is one thing. Every other week is another.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.caltech.edu)
Date: June 13, 2008 04:56PM

mnagowski

I think the major problem would be the endurance of college athletes. A double overtime game in the playoffs is one thing. Every other week is another.

Theres also the fact that other conferences play on weeknights and have class the next morning, and 50% of the time for a weekend game they have another game the next night.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: June 13, 2008 10:36PM

KeithK
jtwcornell91
KeithK

How about calling a win in overtime what it is - a win? I think it's silly to give consolation points for making it to overtime. I realize the NHL wanted to encourage teams to try harder to win in OT (less downside, since you already have a point) but it just transfers the disincentive to the end of the third.

Agreed. Zero sum is better than non-zero-sum, but a result in OT should count the same as a result in regulation. (Hence "unfortunately" above.)

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: June 14, 2008 07:20PM

KeithK
mnagowski
Or from the Ozarks deadhorse

Re: New NCAA rules - what's wrong with shootout?
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 16, 2008 05:35AM

Sports Illustrated did a piece on the NHL shootout 2-3 years back and said, no matter what we (fans) think, it grabbed the attention of NHL players who weren't playing right then -- they'd huddle around the TV to see the shootout.

Best team doesn't always win the shootout? Doesn't always happen right now. One lucky shot, one missed penalty, one puck that bounces off the skate determines the winner.

I'm okay with a shootout.

Date: June 16, 2008 11:14AM

billhoward
Sports Illustrated did a piece on the NHL shootout 2-3 years back and said, no matter what we (fans) think, it grabbed the attention of NHL players who weren't playing right then -- they'd huddle around the TV to see the shootout.

Best team doesn't always win the shootout? Doesn't always happen right now. One lucky shot, one missed penalty, one puck that bounces off the skate determines the winner.

People would huddle around the TV if they decided to resolve ties with a knife-throwing contest too, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: June 16, 2008 11:50AM

Josh '99
billhoward

People would huddle around the TV if they decided to resolve ties with a knife-throwing contest too, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.
And by 'not a good idea,' I assume you mean IT'S A GREAT IDEA!

Date: June 16, 2008 03:04PM

ugarte
Josh '99
billhoward

It certainly could provide the NHL with a ratings boost.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: June 16, 2008 04:15PM

Josh '99
ugarte
Josh '99
billhoward

What if they were throwing knives at, say, Gary Bettman?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: June 16, 2008 04:21PM

Beeeej
Josh '99
ugarte
Josh '99
billhoward

What if they were throwing knives at, say, Gary Bettman?
Even bigger ratings boost, especially in Hartford.

Posted by: BCrespi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 16, 2008 08:34PM

billhoward
Sports Illustrated did a piece on the NHL shootout 2-3 years back and said, no matter what we (fans) think, it grabbed the attention of NHL players who weren't playing right then -- they'd huddle around the TV to see the shootout. I'm okay with a shootout.

While I agree that this is very important, I don't think it's because the shootout itself is that great (For full disclosure, I don't hate the shootout and don't mind its presence). If you told a locker room full of hockey players that a tie game was going to surely have a winner within two minutes, I bet most would watch as well.

Date: June 25, 2008 12:17PM

Ambiguity is not good. At the end of Thelma and Louise, you knew there'd be noooo way there could be a sequel. At the end of the day (gag, did I write that?), I want to hear the Fat Lady sing or see the cowboy gun down the bad guys then hug his horse, his girl, or his partner (depending on who the Western targets), and I like seeing a winner every hockey game because one thing that keeps the losing side's fans going is the ablity to play "if only." Hey, it's only a freankin' game.

Posted by: Robb (---.gradacc.ox.ac.uk)
Date: June 25, 2008 12:26PM

billhoward
I like seeing a winner every hockey game because one thing that keeps the losing side's fans going is the ablity to play "if only." Hey, it's only a freankin' game.

You've never played "if only" after a tie? That's even closer, but without the cigar...

Posted by: LaJollaRed (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: June 25, 2008 03:14PM

I completely agree. For four years on the hill, tie-games were somehow harder to swallow than losses. I'm not a fan of shootouts, but I like ties a lot less.

A tie hockey game is like getting a stripper for your birthday...an ugly stripper with visible bullet wounds...

Date: June 25, 2008 06:07PM

That's actually why I like keeping ties, oddly enough. Hockey (like any sport) is about the highs and the lows. Ties give games that ugh-it's-a-tie-but-at-least-we-didn't-lose-but-damn-ties-suck dimension, and I actually like the added emotional roller coaster that comes with them.

Date: June 26, 2008 09:11AM

LaJollaRed
A tie hockey game is like getting a stripper for your birthday...an ugly stripper with visible bullet wounds...

... we're heading toward a discussion of Duke lacrosse

Date: June 26, 2008 02:06PM

billhoward
LaJollaRed

... we're heading toward a discussion of Duke lacrosse
Oh, hmm, I thought it was a Kuma's reference*.

*I've never been to Kuma's, and I meant no offense if you or yo momma work there. But I've heard stories.

Date: June 26, 2008 06:47PM

ftyuv

*I've never been to Kuma's, and I meant no offense if you or yo momma work there. But I've heard stories.
I've heard those stories too.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: June 26, 2008 07:03PM

Josh '99
ftyuv

Given that the place looks like a large roadside shack from the outside, that wouldn't be surprising.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: RichH (155.104.37.---)
Date: June 27, 2008 10:25AM

French Rage
Josh '99
ftyuv

Given that the place looks like a large roadside shack from the outside, that wouldn't be surprising.

"Looks like??"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login