Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Captains for Next Year

Posted by ebilmes 
Captains for Next Year
Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 03, 2008 11:23PM

Co-Captains: M. Kennedy and Greening
Alternates: Mugford and Seminoff

Read the article to see who won the various end-of-season awards:

[cornellbigred.com]

Re: Captains for Next Year
Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: May 04, 2008 10:06AM

Riley, a forward, was presented with the Greg Ratushny Award, given to the freshman player who best exhibits enthusiasm for the team and Cornell University, camaraderie with his teammates and fellow students and promise for the future.

Promise for a future with Cornell, I hope.

Posted by: Robb (---.gradacc.ox.ac.uk)
Date: May 04, 2008 03:47PM

Will

Greg Ratushny Award
Greg?

ETA: a quick google finds many other mentions of the Greg Ratushny award. Who was Greg Ratushny?

Will
Promise for a future with Cornell, I hope.

The only Ratushny I know left Cornell early... :`-(
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2008 03:50PM by Robb.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: May 04, 2008 04:43PM

Robb
Will

Greg Ratushny Award
Greg?

ETA: a quick google finds many other mentions of the Greg Ratushny award. Who was Greg Ratushny?

I believe Greg was (and is) Dan's and Kim's younger brother, who was recruited to Cornell to play hockey. If I remember correctly (and it's entirely possible that I don't), he was very badly injured literally the first day of freshman year when a large piece of furniture fell on him, or something like that, and he never played hockey again.

Anybody else remember?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.gunnery.org)
Date: May 04, 2008 04:45PM

Could be wrong but I think Greg Rathusny was in a very serious car accident the summer before he was to be a freshman at Cornell.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2008 04:46PM by calgARI '07.

Posted by: RichH (76.28.11.---)
Date: May 04, 2008 05:13PM

calgARI '07
Could be wrong but I think Greg Rathusny was in a very serious car accident the summer before he was to be a freshman at Cornell.

I think that's correct. I seem to remember there being a small plaque on the wall near the hockey office dedicated to Greg Ratushny.

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 04, 2008 07:56PM

Greg Ratushny was Dan and Kim's younger brother. He was accepted by Cornell for the class of '96, but was seriously injured in a car accident shortly before his scheduled arrival at Cornell (summer of 1992). He never recovered from those injuries. I don't know exactly when he passed away, but the Greg Ratushny award was established in April 1997.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 04, 2008 09:44PM

Beeeej
... he was very badly injured literally the first day of freshman year when a large piece of furniture fell on him, or something like that, and he never played hockey again.

Anybody else remember?
That was some game of Telephone you played, Beeeej. Also, FYP.

Date: May 04, 2008 10:10PM

ugarte
Beeeej
... he was very badly injured literally the first day of freshman year when a large piece of furniture fell on him, or something like that, and he never played hockey again.

Anybody else remember?

Obviously I was wrong about it being Greg Ratushny, but I have a very clear and vivid memory of learning that one of Cornell's incoming players had been injured during move-in.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 05, 2008 09:51AM

Beeeej
ugarte
Beeeej

Anybody else remember?

Obviously I was wrong about it being Greg Ratushny, but I have a very clear and vivid memory of learning that one of Cornell's incoming players had been injured during move-in.

Let me quote from an article that appeared in the Ithaca Times on March 19, 1992:

"Alex Nikolic's and Paul Dukovac's names will always be linked, thanks to one terrible moment during Christmas break their senior year when Dukovac, helping Nikolic move some furniture, slipped and fell on an icy flight of stairs and broke his leg, bringing a premature end to his college career."

At least you got the furniture part right ...

Date: May 05, 2008 03:03PM

ACM
Beeeej
ugarte
Beeeej

Anybody else remember?

Let me quote from an article that appeared in the Ithaca Times on March 19, 1992:

"Alex Nikolic's and Paul Dukovac's names will always be linked, thanks to one terrible moment during Christmas break their senior year when Dukovac, helping Nikolic move some furniture, slipped and fell on an icy flight of stairs and broke his leg, bringing a premature end to his college career."

At least you got the furniture part right ...

Thanks, Arthur! At least I know I wasn't completely imagining it.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: July 02, 2008 06:44PM

ACM
Greg Ratushny was Dan and Kim's younger brother. He was accepted by Cornell for the class of '96, but was seriously injured in a car accident shortly before his scheduled arrival at Cornell (summer of 1992). He never recovered from those injuries. I don't know exactly when he passed away, but the Greg Ratushny award was established in April 1997.
An article from the Kansas City Star in 1998 suggested that Greg died in 1996. Some cyber stalking on Google suggested that he was in fact in a coma for a period of time, he did not die right after the accident. Very sad for the Ratushny family.

I think Paul Dukovac ended up as a chiropractor in Illinois.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2008 06:45PM by RatushnyFan.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 03, 2008 01:05AM

RatushnyFan
ACM
An article from the Kansas City Star in 1998 suggested that Greg died in 1996. Some cyber stalking on Google suggested that he was in fact in a coma for a period of time, he did not die right after the accident. Very sad for the Ratushny family.

I think Paul Dukovac ended up as a chiropractor in Illinois.
Morbid thread drift: Does it count as cyber stalking if the person you're looking for information about is deceased?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login