Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

ELynah Live

Posted by CowbellGuy 
ELynah Live
Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: April 25, 2008 03:10PM

In case you're wondering what that thing to the right is, it's a live Twitter feed that I'm hoping to keep updated with current scores, penalties, etc. during games. I'm perfectly happy to pass the Twitter account info to others interested in volunteering to keep it updated. Obviously it won't come into play until the season starts, but it could be used for Lax as well, if there's an interest.

[twitter.com]

Re: ELynah Live
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: April 25, 2008 03:38PM

It's nice that the Twitter link already has the "next game" information up, but where's the countdown clock until the next game? :-)

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: pfibiger (---.sip.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 25, 2008 03:57PM

Awesome. I've thought before about what the best way to do SMS/etc live updates is, but twitter makes that really easy. You probably don't even need to give people access, if they just make their own updates @elynah, and then you view it 'with others,' I think you'd see a good timeline.

Posted by: crodger1 (---.abtassoc.com)
Date: April 25, 2008 05:41PM

Yeah, when will it be time to drop the gloves puck in the red-white game?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2008 05:42PM by crodger1.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 26, 2008 07:01AM

Beeeej
It's nice that the Twitter link already has the "next game" information up, but where's the countdown clock until the next game? :-)

But of course Princeton is only the next game we know about, There will be some preseason games. Might be better to wait till we know when that is?

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: April 26, 2008 08:49PM

Jim Hyla
Beeeej

But of course Princeton is only the next game we know about, There will be some preseason games. Might be better to wait till we know when that is?

And that makes sense for the countdown clock, but not for the Twitter pane... how?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: May 01, 2008 02:51PM

This will return when there's actually something to show in, like, October.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: May 01, 2008 03:30PM

CowbellGuy
This will return when there's actually something to show in, like, October.
You could run a test of it during the Alumni game.

Date: October 18, 2008 05:18PM

It's back! Let me know how it works tonight. And be sure to click some Google Ads links while you're at it ;)

Posted by: pfibiger (---.sip.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 18, 2008 07:25PM

CowbellGuy
It's back! Let me know how it works tonight. And be sure to click some Google Ads links while you're at it ;)

It's very cool, thanks...Personally I'd love to see some < 140 char editorial content alongside score updates...who looks good, important plays, etc.

Date: October 18, 2008 07:40PM

Sorry for the inadvertant goal there for a bit. I wouldn't mind doing more but it's a little tough with the one bar I'm getting on my phone.

Re: ELynah Live-Twitter Questions
Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: October 24, 2008 05:32PM

Okay, I signed up for a Twitter account, and joined Elynah. Will people now post game commentary on Twitter, and not here?

Does Twitter work like YahooIM? (which I have only used once or twice)

I only use my cell phone for talking (yes, really, and I already know that I'm "traditional" ;-)) and an occasional text message when I have 5 minutes to "write" the text.

I guess what I'm asking is that for someone who uses her computer (rather than other gadgets) to get "on-line" news and updates, what advantages does Twitter offer over ELF?

Thanks,

(Written from my iMac, which is located on a desk in an office at Purdue.)

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 24, 2008 06:36PM

I'm on Twitter too, but I'll post updates here unless/until it becomes superfluous.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: October 24, 2008 08:14PM

Here's my next stupid question (help): Is there a way to have Twitter auto re-load, like the scoreboards do on the ESPN/MLB/NHL/NFL websites?

Actually, it would be cool if ELF could do this too.

To add to the confusion of my evening, I now have to "re-learn" all the DirectTV-Sports Pack channels, most of the sport channels changed numbers during the summer. For example, Goofer hockey is now on channel 668 and not 641.

Date: October 27, 2008 03:27PM

No, Twitter is in no way intended to replace ELF. I'm simply using it as a tool to broadcast updates from the rink to anyone who chooses to follow it and to ELF.

The advantage to using Twitter directly might be to have it send you text updates on your phone if you're going to be away from a computer during a game. Otherwise there's not much point to using it directly.

I figured it would be a very easy way to add some functionality, which it was, but typing out team names, times, etc. repeatedly became tedious very quickly (and led to a certain goal typo as well). So I wrote a little iPhone-optimized web interface to make my life easier, and it certainly did.

The other problem was undue load on Twitter, having it poll them every time a page was loaded on ELF, so I now have my server grab the Twitter feed every minute, and ELF loads the local copy. However, since I'm using my own interface, I'm going to have it just write its own copy of the updates to this server, so there won't be that up-to-1-minute delay for new posts.

The last part of the equation is to have the ELynah Live div on ELF auto-update periodically, perhaps every 30 seconds. Since it's loading a local file, that'll be trivial to implement. It just hasn't happened yet. Should be able to get to it before the next game.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.dsl.scrm01.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 27, 2008 03:29PM

Thanks so much for doing this, Age. It was great to have the updates on Friday.

Date: November 07, 2008 02:38PM

Age, when you attend warmups, would you kindly post on Twitter the projected lines and defense pairings that you observe? Also, if you get your hands on a line sheet, would you post that (so long as it is not before the opponent's coaching staff gets access to that information)?

Date: November 07, 2008 04:19PM

Well, first off I'm sick in bed, but I wasn't planning on going on this trip. Second, Twitters are limited to 140 characters. Not sure how much useful info I could squeeze in.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: November 07, 2008 05:09PM

CowbellGuy
Well, first off I'm sick in bed, but I wasn't planning on going on this trip. Second, Twitters are limited to 140 characters. Not sure how much useful info I could squeeze in.

You could do it all by uniform numbers. Or hand your iphone to Anne and have her do it for you. ;-)

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Anne 85 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 07, 2008 09:15PM

I'd be happy to help, but I'm not there either. And, I'm much less technologically adept than the rest of you. Now, if we could just make my lines book electronic, we'd be all set.

Anne '85

Posted by: dss28 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 08, 2008 12:12PM

Thanks, Age! This was really valuable for me yesterday :D I was glued to my crackberry while hurrying from work to find somewhere with ESPNU banana

Posted by: upperdeck (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 08, 2008 07:15PM

question

couldnt the server take the ingame chatter from this board and twitterize it as well with just the first 140char of what ever the messages were ?? it could ignore the signatures and quoted stuff? less work for someone than being at the game and info for those trying to use it?

Date: November 08, 2008 07:35PM

If you were getting text updates on your phone from Twitter would you want one for every bit of blather that ends up in these threads or, even worse, the whole board? The point of one person doing it is so there's a reliable, consistent, useful feed.

Date: November 08, 2008 07:39PM

Also, I don't see what purpose that could possibly serve. If you want a digestable export of the posts you could, I dunno, use the RSS feed...

Posted by: upperdeck (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 08, 2008 07:48PM

its not an issue for me.. just some have said they were using it.. a game seems to have 1-200 posts.. the twitter mostly has 0-0 scores every few minutes..

I dont use twitter as I am too old and I can just as easily follow this forum on my cell. I was just wondering if someone were actually following the game with it they might like more info.

if you imbedded something in the messages that you wanted to twitter then anyone here could submit a message and only the marked ones would be sent, thereby removing the "blather".. it was just a thought.

Date: November 12, 2008 05:48PM

Been working on this a bit. The updates have generally been separated from Twitter. I can post updates as large as I want and have it show up in the ELynah Live div on this page without affecting the Twitter feed. When I have a normal score/time update, I can choose to send it to Twitter as well. That way, there will be extra information available from here, but the same previous functionality for those receiving Twitter updates while mobile. Tomorrow I'll change the div so it refreshes without needing to reload the page. Now I just need to hope for cell coverage in Hamilton...

Date: November 13, 2008 03:03PM

Didn't have a chance to do the auto-reloading thing yet. You'll just have to do it manually for now.

Posted by: Rita (129.171.150.---)
Date: October 27, 2010 06:25PM

CowbellGuy
No, Twitter is in no way intended to replace ELF. I'm simply using it as a tool to broadcast updates from the rink to anyone who chooses to follow it and to ELF.

The advantage to using Twitter directly might be to have it send you text updates on your phone if you're going to be away from a computer during a game. Otherwise there's not much point to using it directly.

I figured it would be a very easy way to add some functionality, which it was, but typing out team names, times, etc. repeatedly became tedious very quickly (and led to a certain goal typo as well). So I wrote a little iPhone-optimized web interface to make my life easier, and it certainly did.

The other problem was undue load on Twitter, having it poll them every time a page was loaded on ELF, so I now have my server grab the Twitter feed every minute, and ELF loads the local copy. However, since I'm using my own interface, I'm going to have it just write its own copy of the updates to this server, so there won't be that up-to-1-minute delay for new posts.

The last part of the equation is to have the ELynah Live div on ELF auto-update periodically, perhaps every 30 seconds. Since it's loading a local file, that'll be trivial to implement. It just hasn't happened yet. Should be able to get to it before the next game.

I've searched the archives and I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. help (please)

Sometime last February someone sent me a weblink to subscribe to the ELF Twitter feed so that Age's tweets get sent to my cell phone. This is FANTASTIC when I'm not at my computer, but not necessary when I am. So I would like to be able to subscribe/unsubcribe as needed. However, I can't find the link (maybe it was sent over ELynah Chat?). Does anyone have it?

TIA. :-)

Date: October 28, 2010 01:18AM

Rita
CowbellGuy

I've searched the archives and I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. help (please)

Sometime last February someone sent me a weblink to subscribe to the ELF Twitter feed so that Age's tweets get sent to my cell phone. This is FANTASTIC when I'm not at my computer, but not necessary when I am. So I would like to be able to subscribe/unsubcribe as needed. However, I can't find the link (maybe it was sent over ELynah Chat?). Does anyone have it?

I think the easiest thing to do is go to the eLynah twitter page. From there, you can toggle on and off the telephone icon. (You'll need to log into twitter and follow eLynah on twitter to have this option.)

Posted by: Rita (129.171.150.---)
Date: October 28, 2010 10:48AM

cbuckser
Rita
CowbellGuy

I think the easiest thing to do is go to the eLynah twitter page. From there, you can toggle on and off the telephone icon. (You'll need to log into twitter and follow eLynah on twitter to have this option.)

Thanks, I finally found the telephone icon on the ELF twitter page. I guess what was confusing to me was that I thought I had used a link that by-passed ELF twitter, because the last time I logged into Twitter was to sign up to be an ELF twitter follower (but guess I didnt' tell them where to send the tweets).

Date: October 28, 2010 02:41PM

Just under the poll at the top of the page, in the ELynah Live section, there's also a link to that Elynah Twitter page. Didn't think people used the SMS option any more, but apparently you're not the only one. I've been trying to be more verbose this year, so I hope you have unlimited texts. ;) If not, I'm contemplating adding a less-frequent goals-and-end-of-period type Twitter feed, but first I need to find out why the Twitter API for my script appears to be broken, but only during games for some reason. bang

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login