Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell to play two @ North Dakota

Posted by Cop at Lynah 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Cornell to play two @ North Dakota
Posted by: Cop at Lynah (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 18, 2008 09:34PM

The Grand Forks Herald is reporting that the Big Red will travel to North Dakota to play a two game series over Thanksgiving weekend.

From the Grand Forks Herald article:

Besides the Ice Breaker and GLI, the Sioux have nonconference series lined up against Cornell (at home), Harvard (in Boston) and Bemidji State (one game in Grand Forks, one in Bemidji).

[theithacajournal.com]
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2008 09:39PM by Cop at Lynah.

Re: Cornell to play two @ North Dakota
Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 18, 2008 09:54PM

Link to The Grand Forks Herald itself.
[www.grandforksherald.com]

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: April 18, 2008 09:54PM

Any advice or suggestions on where to stay in Grand Forks?

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: April 18, 2008 10:08PM

Outstanding. I'm so there.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 18, 2008 10:18PM

Sign me up for the CHA bus...

Posted by: bernie (---.area5.spcsdns.net)
Date: April 18, 2008 10:23PM

count me in

Posted by: RichH (76.28.11.---)
Date: April 18, 2008 10:34PM

Raise your hand if you just spent an hour looking at travel options online...

Date: April 18, 2008 10:36PM

RichH

Roadtrip!!!

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: April 18, 2008 10:39PM

I wonder what the over/under is on the number of calls that the Hockey office receives on Monday for people wanting to be put on the ticket list.

Posted by: judy (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 18, 2008 10:40PM

RichH

yes. i delayed bedtime to look at flights.

someone please tell me that i don't have to fly a prop plane...

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 18, 2008 10:49PM

judy
RichH

yes. i delayed bedtime to look at flights.

someone please tell me that i don't have to fly a prop plane...

Fly to Winnipeg and drive down.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 18, 2008 10:49PM

Another choice is the Amtrak "Empire Builder"

Date: April 18, 2008 10:50PM

Beeeej
RichH

Roadtrip!!!

Quick thoughts... It might be cheaper to fly out on Thursday, Thanksgiving day (or, not according to Expedia) and that would also provide a buffer for bad weather. It would suck to be trapped in Chicago or Minneapolis and miss the games.

Yikes! Right now it is looking like at least $800 from either IND or BDL.

If you fly into Fargo (~ 75 miles from Grand Forks), it gets down to around $500 and you now have the option of flying on United or Northwest.

Maybe it might be cheaper to rent a bus with pick-ups along I90-I94? screwy
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2008 10:55PM by Rita.

Date: April 18, 2008 11:08PM

David Harding
Another choice is the Amtrak "Empire Builder"

At nearly 48 hours from NYC to Grand Forks, that doesn't seem like a terribly attractive option, even for only $170.

Seriously, I might just drive.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 18, 2008 11:40PM

*raises hand*

From what I saw, flying to Minneapolis and driving the rest of the way to GF seems like a decent plan.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.static.mtpk.ca.charter.com)
Date: April 19, 2008 01:53AM

Josh '99
*raises hand*

From what I saw, flying to Minneapolis and driving the rest of the way to GF seems like a decent plan.

Yeah, that seemed to be the consensus on USCHO once for the best way to get there. When it gets closer we may want to arrange some groups driving together from there to save gas money. I think the fly to MSP drive the rest of the way plan is what I'll do.

Posted by: Robb (---.gradacc.ox.ac.uk)
Date: April 19, 2008 05:44AM

Rita
Beeeej
RichH

Roadtrip!!!
Yikes! Right now it is looking like at least $800 from either IND or BDL.

If you fly into Fargo (~ 75 miles from Grand Forks), it gets down to around $500 and you now have the option of flying on United or Northwest.

Heck, I just found $910 from Heathrow to Grand Forks, $890 to Fargo, and $780 to MSP. For that price difference, I'll just fly to Grand Forks.

I so want to do this...
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2008 05:47AM by Robb.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: April 19, 2008 07:56AM

Waaaaaay too early to book a flight, but I am so there.

Posted by: djk26 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 19, 2008 12:58PM

This is great. And I see that ND will be traveling to Harvard. Maybe Harvard will visit North Dakota next year? They better be planning a return trip to Ithaca next year, too.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: April 19, 2008 01:52PM

djk26
This is great. And I see that ND will be traveling to Harvard. Maybe Harvard will visit North Dakota next year? They better be planning a return trip to Ithaca next year, too.
NoDak seems to travel eeast more than any of the other WCHA teams So I wouldn't be surprised to see the Sioux come to Lynah. Here's hoping.

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: April 19, 2008 03:44PM

djk26

The UND trip to Harvard is the second half of a "home-home" series. The Crimson visited Grand Forks during the 2005-2006 season.

UND is very good about going east of the Mississippi for non-conference games. A quick look at their schedule since the 1999-2000 seasons have the following games (not including holiday tournaments):

99-00 2 @ Clarkson, 2 in Durham, NH (Univ. Vermont, UNH)
00-01 2 @ Maine
01-02 2 @ St. Lawrence
02-03 1 @ Princeton, 1 @ Yale
04-05 2 @ Maine, 2 in Boston (BC, NU)
05-06 2 @ UNH
07-08 2 in Boston (BC, NU)

So given this track record, I think it is safe to say that the Sioux will be visiting Lynah sometime in the next 2-3 seasons.

Date: April 19, 2008 05:11PM

So it looks like I really should be warning the fam that I won't be cooking thanksgiving dinner for a couple of years :)

You'd think I'd have them trained by now but apparently my bosses are easier to train on the hockey travel.

Date: April 20, 2008 02:05AM

KeithK
Waaaaaay too early to book a flight, but I am so there.

Hopefully, we'll try to pick an airline for this trip that is still financially solvent by the time we have to fly.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.182.179.9.adsl.snet.net)
Date: April 21, 2008 08:29PM

I guess we won't be playing BU at MSG again this year on Thanksgiving weekend. That's an easier road trip than going to North Dakota.
If you do go, dress warmly. I recently was chatting with someone who spent two years in North Dakota and he told me the best advice he got when he moved out there was the only way he would survive the winter would be to get a dog and/or a girlfriend. He told me he got both, but the dog (16 years) lasted a lot longer than the girlfriend!

Posted by: bothman (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: May 02, 2008 01:16PM

I'd just like to give props to both Cornell and Schafer for geting this done. I know I have rubbed their noses in bad scheduling in the past, but this is a HUGE step in the right direction.

Thumbs up all the way around!!

Date: August 19, 2008 04:59PM

Beeeej on 4/18/08:
Beeeej

Beeeej 8/19/08:

Beeeej
Josh '99
ugarte
Beeeej
mha
Thanks for the compliment. :-) That's one of the shots I'm especially happy with, but I've been lucky enough to take quite a few hockey pictures.

It's not Cornell-related, but if I ask nicely, will you post a link here to your great photo of that goal from the Devils-Islanders game we saw at the Rock earlier this year?

ETA: Later that same day we drove down to Princeton for the Cornell @ Princeton game, so I guess it's vaguely related anyway. :-)
Are the two of you no longer speaking? You really should mend fences before Thanksgiving.
That's a good idea, it'll be important to present a unified front at UND.

Ohhh, you meant the other part of Thanksgiving weekend.

I'm actually probably not going to UND... I'll have just gotten back from another 109-mile bike ride in Tucson the previous weekend (thus missing Fish & Fowl at home for the first time since 1995, alas). I know it's a horrifying thought, but maybe there's a time when it's okay not to spend an absurd amount of money, time, and effort to go see a college hockey game.

Unless of course someone else offers to pay my way.

Sorry, I couldn't resist ;-).

Has anyone made travel plans for the UND weekend? Quick searching on Expedia gets me a flight from IND to Fargo for less than $500. Anyone else flying into/out of Fargo and willing to share rental car expenses? I will probably try and finalize travel plans in early September, but if I can co-ordinate with someone, that would be great.

Date: August 19, 2008 10:29PM

Rita
Beeeej on 4/18/08:
Beeeej

Beeeej 8/19/08:

Beeeej
Josh '99
ugarte
Beeeej
mha
Thanks for the compliment. :-) That's one of the shots I'm especially happy with, but I've been lucky enough to take quite a few hockey pictures.

It's not Cornell-related, but if I ask nicely, will you post a link here to your great photo of that goal from the Devils-Islanders game we saw at the Rock earlier this year?

ETA: Later that same day we drove down to Princeton for the Cornell @ Princeton game, so I guess it's vaguely related anyway. :-)
Are the two of you no longer speaking? You really should mend fences before Thanksgiving.
That's a good idea, it'll be important to present a unified front at UND.

Ohhh, you meant the other part of Thanksgiving weekend.

I'm actually probably not going to UND... I'll have just gotten back from another 109-mile bike ride in Tucson the previous weekend (thus missing Fish & Fowl at home for the first time since 1995, alas). I know it's a horrifying thought, but maybe there's a time when it's okay not to spend an absurd amount of money, time, and effort to go see a college hockey game.

Unless of course someone else offers to pay my way.

Sorry, I couldn't resist ;-).

I think you could've. Anyway, I never said I didn't want to be there. I just don't think it's smart this time. If I change my mind again between now and whenever it's too late to book flights, etc., I'll be there.

- Steve Worona

Date: August 23, 2008 01:40PM

Unfortunately, I'm out. Between a cousin from Taiwan who has been saying for 25 years that he's going to come visit me in the US and a father who wants to go vacation in Hawaii at that time, family obligations are forcing me to not be in North Dakota. No, I won't complain about Hawaii :)

Date: October 13, 2008 04:28PM

Bump.

Given the economic woes of late, anyone still have money in their hockey fund to roadtrip to ND?

I'm now in the undecided group. If I go, I would like to share expenses (i.e. rental car from Minneapolis or Fargo) and hotel. Has anyone else set up their travel plans?

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 13, 2008 05:54PM

Rita
Bump.

Given the economic woes of late, anyone still have money in their hockey fund to roadtrip to ND?

I'm now in the undecided group. If I go, I would like to share expenses (i.e. rental car from Minneapolis or Fargo) and hotel. Has anyone else set up their travel plans?

Tanya and I used frequent flier miles for flights directly to Grand Forks, but still haven't figured out hotels or tickets yet. I'm guessing we'd like to end up at a hotel where other Cornellians are since we didn't plan on renting a car. We'd be happy to split gas for getting to and from the games if we end up at a hotel that is too far away for walking.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 13, 2008 06:29PM

Amtrak may be looking like a better and better travel option ;) (referencing David's and Beeeej's post from way back when).

Posted by: Lauren '06 (206.12.54.---)
Date: October 13, 2008 07:49PM

Rita
Bump.

Argh! I feel like it would really be a shame to not go, and the cost of a flight to Fargo is just enough to make me seriously consider it...

Posted by: JDeafv (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 13, 2008 09:07PM

Kate and I are strongly considering, but it looks like it will mean travel to MSP on Thanksgiving. We'd be up for carpooling from MSP. Anybody else want to do an eLynah T-giving in MSP or Grand Forks?

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.crh.noaa.gov)
Date: October 14, 2008 06:44AM

It isn't finalized whether I've scored leave or not for that Friday, but I plan on getting there Friday evening at the latest. I have a hotel (Super8 I think) near the rink, and I'm just waiting for NoDak to send the tickets to Cornell so they will charge my card for two each night.

My plan is to leave Iowa late Thursday or early Friday, get to MSP and meet a friend who will join me for the rest of the ride west.

Posted by: JDeafv (---.mae.cornell.edu)
Date: October 16, 2008 01:27PM

Cornell ticket office has tickets to the 2 NoDak games. Cornell got 120 tickets/game (not including comps) and all tickets (including comps) are in section 311, rows F-H.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 18, 2008 11:04AM

Wouldn't you know that when Cornell finally gets a couple of games scheduled with them the Sioux start off 0-3.scream

Date: October 18, 2008 02:53PM

To anyone who is going, have you gotten your tickets yet? I placed a request through the Cornell ticket office, but they said NoDak was stalling on sending the tickets and wouldn't be able to process orders until they receive them. I have yet to see a charge on my account for the tickets, and the games will be here soon enough.

Date: October 18, 2008 03:09PM

oceanst41
To anyone who is going, have you gotten your tickets yet? I placed a request through the Cornell ticket office, but they said NoDak was stalling on sending the tickets and wouldn't be able to process orders until they receive them. I have yet to see a charge on my account for the tickets, and the games will be here soon enough.

I ordered them Thursday on the phone after JDeafv's post above. It sounded like they had them on hand and were mailing them to me soon, although I haven't checked to see if my credit card was charged yet.

Date: October 18, 2008 03:11PM

Jacob '06
oceanst41

I ordered them Thursday on the phone after JDeafv's post above. It sounded like they had them on hand and were mailing them to me soon, although I haven't checked to see if my credit card was charged yet.

I was told I wasn't going to have a problem getting them, it was just a matter of when they received the shipment. Some confirmation would've been nice though.

Date: October 18, 2008 05:10PM

I watched the ticket office personnel actually open the envelope from NoDak.

Date: October 30, 2008 10:17PM

We just got our tickets in the mail today. What hotels are people staying at? It seems like a lot of stuff is already booked up that weekend and I'm trying to figure out where we should stay.

Date: October 31, 2008 09:57AM

Jacob '06
We just got our tickets in the mail today. What hotels are people staying at? It seems like a lot of stuff is already booked up that weekend and I'm trying to figure out where we should stay.

I splurged and went for the Super8 ;-). But it seems to be within walking distance to the rink and to bars, so I'll call it even. I reserved about a month ago and found a lot of places booked up too.

Date: October 31, 2008 10:00AM

oceanst41
Jacob '06

I splurged and went for the Super8 ;-). But it seems to be within walking distance to the rink and to bars, so I'll call it even. I reserved about a month ago and found a lot of places booked up too.

Yeah, I was actually planning on going for the super8 also, but it is booked fully now according to the website. I'll probably give them a call and see if they have any rooms left one of these days.

North Dakota or Clarkson?
Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: October 31, 2008 10:28PM

Seen on the streets of Troy. You make the call:

Date: November 21, 2008 09:56PM

Well the team has one game left that they should not overlook tomorrow night, but for the rest of us it's one week left until game one at UND.

I have Friday through Monday off from work, and plan on leaving Davenport, IA around 1-2 on Thanksgiving for Minneapolis. After spending the night there, a friend and I will make the rest of the 4.5 hr drive to Grand Forks, check into the Super8, then head back out for dinner and some pregame beers.

What is the status of the rest of the traveling Faithful?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 21, 2008 10:06PM

oceanst41
Well the team has one game left that they should not overlook tomorrow night, but for the rest of us it's one week left until game one at UND.
Where by "the rest of us" you mean you. Dartmouth's in first place in the conference.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (206.12.54.---)
Date: November 21, 2008 10:08PM

8pm Thursday: Play concert in Vancouver
11pm Thursday: Hope concert ends early enough to catch last bus to airport
5:30am Friday: Take airport shuttle to Seattle
10:30am Friday: Fly to Minneapolis
4:30pm Friday: Fly to Fargo
6:15pm Friday: Get picked up and driven to Grand Forks (thanks Jason!)
7:37pm Friday: Game Time (why :37?)
10:00pm Friday: Pass out from exhaustion

Date: November 21, 2008 10:14PM

Trotsky
oceanst41
Where by "the rest of us" you mean you. Dartmouth's in first place in the conference.

Seeing as we don't play the games, I more was bumping the thread the weekend before seeing as people might have holiday plans and a busy week if they are traveling to Grank Forks.

I'm sorry that I won't be home to be on eLynah tomorrow night in order to see who else is going.

Date: November 21, 2008 10:55PM

Flying from JFK to Minneapolis Friday morning, driving to Grand Forks from there.

Posted by: ansky629 (---.wireless.umnet.umich.edu)
Date: November 21, 2008 11:08PM

Any word on whether NoDak is going to play a return series at Lynah in the coming years?

Date: November 21, 2008 11:10PM

We fly to minneapolis in the morning friday and then in the afternoon from there to grand forks. We are staying at the best western (its not actually called the best western but I forget the name) on friday and the super 8 saturday and sunday.

Date: November 22, 2008 02:13PM

Section A Banshee
10:00pm Friday: Party like we're not actually in Grand Forks

FYP

Date: November 22, 2008 07:11PM

JDeafv
Section A Banshee
10:00pm Friday: Party like we're not actually in Grand Forks

FYP
I don't see anything wrong with partying like we're in Grand Forks. The way I figure, in Grand Forks they don't have anything to do BUT drink.

Posted by: Goon (---.midco.net)
Date: November 23, 2008 07:03PM

It is possible The Sioux are playing at Harvard this years as well and played Harvard in 2005-2006 in Grand Forks, ND. So this could be the return trip, UND is one of the bigger WCHA schools that travels out east almost once every season.

Date: November 23, 2008 07:36PM

Nice that The Ralph is, like Lynah, 200x85...unlike many WCHA rinks.

Posted by: Goon (---.midco.net)
Date: November 23, 2008 07:43PM

Yep, UMN, SCSU, C.C., Wisconsin have Olympic sheets of ice.

Date: November 23, 2008 09:33PM

Al DeFlorio

I don't think Schafer would agree to go play on "big ice." NoDak / Cornell are negotiating the return trip to Lynah, it will happen in the next 2 years.

Posted by: CUontheslopes (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 23, 2008 10:26PM

Al DeFlorio

I agree - it's a good thing for us. Personally, I don't understand how the NCAA allows it. They don't allow schools to play football on a lacrosse field or a Canadian football field. Even if they allow it for the regular season, they certainly shouldn't for the playoffs. I always thought that was very very unfair.

Date: November 23, 2008 11:01PM

CUontheslopes
Personally, I don't understand how the NCAA allows it. They don't allow schools to play football on a lacrosse field or a Canadian football field.
For some sports the playing surface must be uniform in size, for others not so. The old wooden basketball court in Barton used for intercollegiate games was, I believe, the maximum size allowed. Playing intramural games on that court was brutal.

Date: November 23, 2008 11:22PM

Josh '99
I don't see anything wrong with partying like we're in Grand Forks. The way I figure, in Grand Forks they don't have anything to do BUT drink.

Yep.

[www.bismarcktribune.com]

Date: November 24, 2008 12:00AM

RichH
Josh '99

Yep.

[www.bismarcktribune.com]

That's awesome.

I also thought the NCAA had a "no big ice" policy for regional sites starting in 2010.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.innovestsystems.com)
Date: November 24, 2008 07:32AM

Goon

certainly not a western school, but UNH also has an olympic sheet.

Date: November 24, 2008 08:47AM

Dpperk29
Goon

certainly not a western school, but UNH also has an olympic sheet.
And it would be nice not to have NCAA regionals held there any more.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: November 24, 2008 09:21AM

Al DeFlorio
I dunno. We actually look pretty fast this year. Although it may just be relative.

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: November 24, 2008 09:28AM

Josh '99
Flying from JFK to Minneapolis Friday morning, driving to Grand Forks from there.

Oh, since this is now the de facto UND Roll Call thread, yeah...what Josh said.

Date: November 24, 2008 10:05AM

Trotsky
Al DeFlorio
I dunno. We actually look pretty fast this year. Although it may just be relative.
I hope you're right about the "fast" observation, but there's still the familiarity issue.

Posted by: RichH (155.104.37.---)
Date: November 24, 2008 10:36AM

Gotta love this time of year. It seems that NoDak's RPI will increase even when they lose to us are forced to kneel before Zod.

[siouxsports.com]

See Sioux? By losing to us, everybody wins! :-D
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2008 10:46AM by RichH.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: November 24, 2008 10:40AM

RichH
Gotta love this time of year. It seems that NoDak's RPI will increase even when they lose to us.
You mean "if" they lose to us, right? No woofing. smashfreak

Date: November 24, 2008 10:45AM

Josh '99
RichH
Gotta love this time of year. It seems that NoDak's RPI will increase even when they lose to us.

Oh come now. You should know I'm being snarky. Designed as a joke, I'll fix it.

Date: November 24, 2008 10:53AM

Is anybody posting on siouxsports.com? Just curious if we can get some friendly chatter before making the trip out to Grand Forks.

Is NoDak really as bad as the posters on siouxsports are making it out to be, or is it just a case of injuries to key guys (Finley) and a bunch of bad luck?

Date: November 24, 2008 11:08AM

RichH
Josh '99
RichH

Oh come now. You should know I'm being snarky. Designed as a joke, I'll fix it.
Sorry, guess it's time for me to recalibrate the ol' .

Date: November 24, 2008 12:08PM

JDeafv
Is anybody posting on siouxsports.com? Just curious if we can get some friendly chatter before making the trip out to Grand Forks.

No, not yet, but this description of their PA guy makes me scared. Scared of how annoyed I'll get.

Posted by: nr53 (---.cisco.com)
Date: November 24, 2008 12:49PM

Are there any plans to set up some sort of viewing in NYC? I know there have been some in the past but I don't really know enough about the usual arrangement to set something up.

Date: November 24, 2008 02:14PM

nr53
Are there any plans to set up some sort of viewing in NYC? I know there have been some in the past but I don't really know enough about the usual arrangement to set something up.

Yes. I'll post about it in a separate thread.

- Steve Worona

Free Net Audio
Posted by: jts15 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 26, 2008 09:52AM

A quick search didn't come up with anything about audio. Sorry if it's been posted.
[www.nmnathletics.com]

Date: November 26, 2008 02:58PM

Apparently we got bumped from the schedule and UND is now playing a small liberal arts school in Iowa.

Quality reporting.

Date: November 26, 2008 03:41PM

JDeafv
Apparently we got bumped from the schedule and UND is now playing a small liberal arts school in Iowa.

Quality reporting.
That reminds me: "Welcome to Grand Forks Community College"

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: November 26, 2008 04:20PM

Completely random question:

When's the last time Cornell played a regular season game in the Central Time Zone? We've done it plenty in the NCAAs because of our annoying habit of getting sent to western regionals. I remember playing CC in the mid-90s in Colorado (an 11-0 drubbing in early 1995-96 IIRC, which was the basis for western teams to not taking us seriously) but that's the Mountain Time Zone.

Edit: the 11-0 loss to CC was at the Denver Tournament, Dec 27-28, 1995. We beat Air Force 6-2 the next day.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2008 04:24PM by RichH.

Posted by: Chris '03 (207.210.130.---)
Date: November 26, 2008 04:24PM

RichH

When's the last time Cornell played a regular season game in the Central Time Zone?

Badger Showdown in Dec. '98?

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: November 26, 2008 04:55PM

JDeafv

Quality reporting.

I'll be driving through Cedar Rapids tomorrow on my way to Minneapolis, so I'll be sure to let them know they need to get a team to Grand Forks on the double. doh

Date: November 26, 2008 06:08PM

Chris '03
RichH

When's the last time Cornell played a regular season game in the Central Time Zone?
Correct. Closest we've come since is those games in Kalamazoo. I think the sun set at about 11pm those nights when we were out there.

Trivia: By my reckoning, WMU is the fourth-furthest-west place in the Eastern Time Zone to play a road D-I hockey game, after Michigan Tech and Northern Michigan (which are in the part of the Upper Peninsula that is on Eastern Time) and Notre Dame (which is in the part of Indiana that is on Eastern Time; South Bend appears to be about 25 miles west of Kalamazoo). Huntsville, Alabama, slightly further west again than South Bend, is in the Central Time Zone. Ferris State, in Big Rapids, Michigan, is just slightly east of WMU.

Date: November 26, 2008 06:33PM

Josh '99
Chris '03
RichH

Correct. Closest we've come since is those games in Kalamazoo. I think the sun set at about 11pm those nights when we were out there.

Trivia: By my reckoning, WMU is the fourth-furthest-west place in the Eastern Time Zone to play a road D-I hockey game, after Michigan Tech and Northern Michigan (which are in the part of the Upper Peninsula that is on Eastern Time) and Notre Dame (which is in the part of Indiana that is on Eastern Time; South Bend appears to be about 25 miles west of Kalamazoo). Huntsville, Alabama, slightly further west again than South Bend, is in the Central Time Zone. Ferris State, in Big Rapids, Michigan, is just slightly east of WMU.

Yes, South Bend (Notre Dame) is on Central time is on Eastern time (when I first moved here, it was on Central time). The big outlet mall 20 miles away is on Central time.
Indianapolis, Bloomington, Lafayette are on Eastern time.
I think the Evansville area is also on Central time.

The times zones in Indiana are very confusing (as indicated by the above edits) screwy and changing them is debated every year. deadhorse (and that is just from living here 4.5 years!). It makes flying into/out of O'Hare complicated because you need to factor in traffic and time changes.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2008 06:42PM by Rita.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: November 26, 2008 07:18PM

JDeafv

Quality reporting.

The Sioux hope there offense returns when they return to their home this weekend to host Cornell College.

I guess we know where the Sun alumni are working now.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2008 07:19PM by ebilmes.

Date: November 26, 2008 08:54PM

We haven't even left for Grand Forks, and a comment on siouxsports says NoDak is coming to Lynah next season for a two game series in mid Jan. for a Fri-Sat set.

Date: November 26, 2008 09:15PM

JDeafv
We haven't even left for Grand Forks, and a comment on siouxsports says NoDak is coming to Lynah next season for a two game series in mid Jan. for a Fri-Sat set.

Mid January sounds like a good time for the return visit; we should have our post-exam legs back by then. It would suck if UND comes in the fall with an almost 4 week practice/game edge on us.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 26, 2008 09:17PM

Rita
JDeafv

Mid January sounds like a good time for the return visit; we should have our post-exam legs back by then. It would suck if UND comes in the fall with an almost 4 week practice/game edge on us.

Wonder if that means Colgate will be in the fall again next season. Hope that "mid-Jan." is when students are back.

Date: November 26, 2008 10:08PM

ebilmes
JDeafv

Quality reporting.

The Sioux hope there offense returns when they return to their home this weekend to host Cornell College.

I guess we know where the Sun alumni are working now.

Ouch!! Even I thought that was uncalled for. :-D

- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2008 10:09PM by Beeeej.

Date: November 26, 2008 11:12PM

Another report from siouxsports : The sioux had 2 tough practices this week as a result of the coaching staff being unhappy with the effort on the road this past weekend:

MILLER SAID - not happy with the showing last weekend and have had 2 hard days of practicing and working out. we arent getting bounces but that isnt why things arent going right. that they are getting outworked in specific areas and they have to create their own bounces to get good things going.

I was told by people who were in the arena this week that the practices were closed to the public. All the curtains were closed from the concourse to the ice. Employees were told not to look in. I was told that this is not normally the case. One guy did peek in and said it was a lot of back and forth skating and not much else.

I can't wait for this trip!

LGR!!!!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2008 11:13PM by JDeafv.

Date: November 27, 2008 01:23AM

JDeafv
UND at Lynah and BU at MSG sounds like the makings of a pretty good non-conference schedule.

Posted by: Goon (---.cbp.dhs.gov)
Date: November 27, 2008 11:59AM

RichH

When's the last time Cornell played a regular season game in the Central Time Zone? We've done it plenty in the NCAAs because of our annoying habit of getting sent to western regionals. I remember playing CC in the mid-90s in Colorado (an 11-0 drubbing in early 1995-96 IIRC, which was the basis for western teams to not taking us seriously) but that's the Mountain Time Zone.

Edit: the 11-0 loss to CC was at the Denver Tournament, Dec 27-28, 1995. We beat Air Force 6-2 the next day.
Actually Denver is in Mountain Time.

Date: November 28, 2008 07:17AM

JDeafv

The Grand Forks Herald, in it's article yesterday, reported that they are coming to Lynah Jan 22-23, 2010.

Date: November 28, 2008 07:37AM

I'm glad the team took my suggestion on travel drive

Date: April 18, 10:49PM

Fly to Winnipeg and drive down.

Posted by: JDeafv (68.178.43.---)
Date: November 28, 2008 06:03PM

Jim Hyla
JDeafv

The Grand Forks Herald, in it's article yesterday, reported that they are coming to Lynah Jan 22-23, 2010.

We just picked up the paper copy here in Grand Forks, very exciting to read. Now onto this weekend's games!

We passed a prius with NY plates on I-29, the folks inside were wearing red, awesome somebody made the drive.

LGR!

Date: November 28, 2008 07:32PM

Josh '99
Chris '03
RichH

A map of Cornell's home and away games, by site, rs and ps, for existing D-1 teams, through last this weekend.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2008 10:55PM by Trotsky.

Date: November 29, 2008 10:53PM

The comparison to the trip to BU Nov 24-25, 2001 holds up.

Posted by: mnagowski (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 30, 2008 05:00PM

Trotsky
A map of Cornell's home and away games, by site, rs and ps, for existing D-1 teams, through last this weekend.

That map is fantastic. I never would have thought that we have played more games in Princeton than Cambridge, or more games at BC than BU for that matter.

Posted by: upperdeck (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 30, 2008 07:16PM

is it possible that we can play a NC series in jan like that? perhaps it is dec?

Date: November 30, 2008 08:31PM

upperdeck
is it possible that we can play a NC series in jan like that? perhaps it is dec?

There's no rule about it, it just can't interfere with the firmly scheduled ECAC stretch run that starts in late January. Some recent January NC games:

2008: Niagara (2)
2007: Sacred Heart
2006: RIT
2001: Quinnipiac
2000: @ Maine, @ Ohio State, Western Michigan (2)

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Josh '99 (12.27.44.---)
Date: November 30, 2008 11:52PM

Trotsky
The consensus among RichH, JDeafv, KateWithThe8 and myself here in Minneapolis is that Providence College should not be abbreviated "PRN".

Posted by: mnagowski (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 01, 2008 12:16AM

Speaking of which, Providence College is west of Brown, no?

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login