Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Frozen four championship game BC4-ND1

Posted by Jacob '06 
Frozen four championship game BC4-ND1
Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.static.mtpk.ca.charter.com)
Date: April 12, 2008 09:24PM

That was a pretty bad overturned goal for ND. The player didn't even make contact when he made a distinct kicking motion, and as the announcers emphasized it only matters if you kick it towards the goal which the player didn't. Then reminiscent of Cornell in '03 it just took the wind out of ND's sails and BC scores the clincher 35 seconds later.

Re: Frozen four championship game BC4-ND1
Posted by: RedAR (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 12, 2008 09:25PM

Speaking as a biased Cornell fan, and rooting for the underdogs tonight, seems like BC ALWAYS get the call!

Oh well...

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: April 12, 2008 09:51PM

From CHN:

After a long delay, it was ruled to be a no goal. According to replay official Greg Shepard, "The puck was kicked in by the Notre Dame player's right skate. The skate was moving toward the goal line."

Nonsense... stupid WCHA.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.static.mtpk.ca.charter.com)
Date: April 12, 2008 09:54PM

Chris '03
From CHN:

After a long delay, it was ruled to be a no goal. According to replay official Greg Shepard, "The puck was kicked in by the Notre Dame player's right skate. The skate was moving toward the goal line."

Nonsense... stupid WCHA.

He never actually made contact with his right skate, even though he tried to. Did Shepard actually really look at the replay from all angles?

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: April 12, 2008 10:16PM

There's one view that makes it look like he made contact. Every other view makes it clear the puck had already been redirected by his skate before he attempted (and failed) to direct it himself. Fitting for a season that will be remembered for its bad goal calls.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: April 13, 2008 09:04AM

RedAR
Speaking as a biased Cornell fan, and rooting for the underdogs tonight, seems like BC ALWAYS get the call!

Oh well...

Not in 2003.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2008 09:31AM

The view we saw on replay of the disputed goal seemed the opposite of the official's call - the skate recoiled from the puck. If the reviewing official had a replay system that went backwards as foraward, I could see him/her confusing which was which under the pressure to make the call.

And the rule we heard was "distinctive kicking motion."

Notre Dame fans can go to the grave believing if only the goal had been allowed and the momentum shifted ... as opposed to the very real possibility BC would have won the game anyway.

But what's wrong with an eastern school winning the title for only the second time this decade? And with the tournament hero being a Topher Scott-like person. The hustle showed by Nathan Gerbe on the second (?) goal where he fell and poked it in from the side of the net was simply awesome.

Less than 12 hours after the game ended, Jerry York's Wikipedia listing had been updated to reflect the third title.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 14, 2008 01:03AM

At the rink they didn't show any replays of the waved goal (though the showed replays of other goals), nor did they announce why it had been waved off.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: April 14, 2008 01:44AM

Josh '99
At the rink they didn't show any replays of the waved goal (though the showed replays of other goals), nor did they announce why it had been waved off.

Yeah, that's what I remember happening when ... Hmm, actually I don't remember that happening before. It's like something is missing from my memory...

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: April 14, 2008 05:36AM

Josh '99

This was the first year in recent memory that replays of the goals were shown at the Albany regional. It was a nice addition to the games.

What I missed were the minute or so clips of the exciting endings of past NCAA tournament games. I especially enjoyed seeing a replay of the end of the UNH over BU '98 regional - which was shown between periods at the 2006 Albany regional.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: April 14, 2008 08:58AM

Josh '99

Not true, actually - they showed one replay of it before the Jumbotron operators realized that the goal was being reviewed. It didn't matter, though; the angle they showed was from behind Muse, so you couldn't really see Lawson or his skate.

Remember, you didn't see Keith, either. ;-)

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 14, 2008 09:13AM

Beeeej
Not true, actually - they showed one replay of it before the Jumbotron operators realized that the goal was being reviewed. It didn't matter, though; the angle they showed was from behind Muse, so you couldn't really see Lawson or his skate.
Well, right. They didn't show a replay at any point when people would want pay close attention to it though.

Posted by: crodger1 (---.abtassoc.com)
Date: April 14, 2008 12:00PM

It really looked to me (from where I was sitting on my couch at home) that he was trying to kick the puck onto his stick blade and missed. No not only did he not kick it into the net, I don't think he was even trying to do so.

Bleh, time for a new season already.

Re: Frozen four championship game BC4-ND1 - the Irish misunderstood
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 14, 2008 01:34PM

When Notre Dame fans heard the play was being reviewed upstairs, they didn't realize that meant inside the building.

Posted by: Avash (---.dhcp.chop.edu)
Date: April 14, 2008 02:11PM

crodger1
It really looked to me (from where I was sitting on my couch at home) that he was trying to kick the puck onto his stick blade and missed. No not only did he not kick it into the net, I don't think he was even trying to do so.

Bleh, time for a new season already.

Lawson describes in detail what he was thinking here, if anyone's interested -- [www.collegehockeynews.com] (includes audio clip)

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: April 14, 2008 03:01PM

billhoward
When Notre Dame fans heard the play was being reviewed upstairs, they didn't realize that meant inside the building.

So all this time, God has been a Jesuit?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 14, 2008 05:14PM

jtwcornell91
So all this time, God has been a Jesuit?
That would explain the old saying: Life's a bitch...and then you die.uhoh

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login