Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Who's staying, who's going?

Posted by ansky629 
Who's staying, who's going?
Posted by: ansky629 (---.law.umich.edu)
Date: March 23, 2008 04:37PM

I haven't seen anything about this posted et, so I thought I'd do it. What does everybody think about which underclassmen might leave and which might stay for next season? Is R. Nash gonna go? What about Greening? Discuss amongst yourselves.

Re: Who's staying, who's going?
Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2008 04:56PM

My hunch is that both Nash and Greening will be here next year. I think Greening's family places a high value on education and they might even be pressuring him to stay four years. I can see Nash taking the Pokulok route and leaving after next season. Of course, this is all just speculation.

Posted by: ShardZ (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2008 12:44AM

this is only my personal speculation. Riley Nash chose Cornell over other "stronger" programs because he really wanted to play hockey with his brother (the Daily Sun said so). I really think that Riley won't leave until Brendan does. Maybe this is misplaced optimism, but I think the Nash brothers will leave at the same time, and I don't think that time is this summer.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2008 07:46AM

ShardZ
this is only my personal speculation. Riley Nash chose Cornell over other "stronger" programs because he really wanted to play hockey with his brother (the Daily Sun said so). I really think that Riley won't leave until Brendan does. Maybe this is misplaced optimism, but I think the Nash brothers will leave at the same time, and I don't think that time is this summer.
Thank goodness for families where siblings actually get along. In most families, Riley would still harbor a grudge for all the times Brendan took too long in the shower in the morning and made Riley late for school.

Posted by: fink (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2008 04:10PM

I feel a poll approaching...

Posted by: mha (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: March 24, 2008 04:13PM

billhoward
Thank goodness for families where siblings actually get along.

While Beeeej and I get along great, I don't think you should put us both on the same hockey team.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 24, 2008 04:14PM

fink
I feel a poll approaching...

I don't. Age particularly loathes speculative polls.

Me, I tend to loathe speculative threads. No offense to thems who've posted here already - if you don't know, it's pure speculation, and if you do know, you shouldn't/wouldn't be posting it here.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: March 24, 2008 04:15PM

mha
billhoward

While Beeeej and I get along great, I don't think you should put us both on the same hockey team.

Jerk.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2008 04:19PM

mha
billhoward

But should we put you on any hockey team?

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: March 24, 2008 04:52PM

Beeeej
mha
billhoward

Jerk.

rolleyes

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 24, 2008 04:53PM

French Rage
Beeeej
mha
billhoward

Jerk.

Typical rolleyes
FYP

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 24, 2008 05:08PM

What Beeeej said. As for staying/going, I think if Edmonton knows what's best for Riley's development he'll be gone next year. I suspect Greening will be here for all four years. Having said that, and I've said it before, I think Greening will be in the NHL before Riley.

Date: March 24, 2008 05:42PM

CowbellGuy
WAs for staying/going, I think if Edmonton knows what's best for Riley's development he'll be gone next year.
Let's assume that Edmonton wants Riley to sign this summer and he is inclined to stay. Isn't there a dollar cap on what the Oilers can offer him for his initial contract? If I'm remembering that right then wouldn't he be pretty likely to get the same offer a year from now?

What I'm getting at is how much inducement can a team provide to a kis who wants to stay in school? I guess they could guarantee NHL playing time or at least a roster spot. But it doesn't seem like there's much flexibility to bowl the kid over with cash.

(Not that $850k or whatever is anything to sneeze at.)

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2008 05:48PM

Riley got pushed around by bigger players some this weekend, in my opinion. If that's a concern for Edmonton, he's not going to put on weight anywhere else any faster than he would here.

Date: March 24, 2008 06:45PM

Josh '99
Riley got pushed around by bigger players some this weekend, in my opinion. If that's a concern for Edmonton, he's not going to put on weight anywhere else any faster than he would here.
I suspect most players would bulk up faster on a professional weight training program than they would in school. Nothing against Cornell's training program but not having a prelim to worry about makes it easier to spend ridiculous hours in the gym.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.gunnery.org)
Date: March 24, 2008 06:53PM

KeithK
Let's assume that Edmonton wants Riley to sign this summer and he is inclined to stay. Isn't there a dollar cap on what the Oilers can offer him for his initial contract? If I'm remembering that right then wouldn't he be pretty likely to get the same offer a year from now?

What I'm getting at is how much inducement can a team provide to a kis who wants to stay in school? I guess they could guarantee NHL playing time or at least a roster spot. But it doesn't seem like there's much flexibility to bowl the kid over with cash.

(Not that $850k or whatever is anything to sneeze at.)

Rookie max is 875,000 for contracts signed for the season and I believe it'll increase to 900,000 for contracts signed for next season. It was at 850,000 right after the new CBA was signed but I think it will max out at 900,000. If Nash leaves this summer he won't be in the NHL next year even if he signs an entry level deal. He'll go to training camp and they'll either put him in Springfield or in the WHL depending on where the Oilers think he fits.

Date: March 24, 2008 07:21PM

KeithK
Josh '99
I suspect most players would bulk up faster on a professional weight training program than they would in school. Nothing against Cornell's training program but not having a prelim to worry about makes it easier to spend ridiculous hours in the gym.
I see your point, but Schafer and his staff have been very successful in this department in the past.

Posted by: TShen (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2008 07:36PM

KeithK
Josh '99

Yeah, but I'd think college season should actually give the players more time to bulk up over the summer.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2008 09:57PM

TShen
KeithK
Josh '99

Yeah, but I'd think college season should actually give the players more time to bulk up over the summer.
The NHL has lots of bulk-up programs. Cornell has the hot truck. Secret weapon.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 24, 2008 11:19PM

billhoward
TShen
KeithK
Josh '99

Too bad Hot Truck scaled back its hours. Besides, Riley's a freshman, so his loyalties are with Louie's.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: March 24, 2008 11:56PM

Will
billhoward
TShen
KeithK
Josh '99

Too bad Hot Truck scaled back its hours. Besides, Riley's a freshman, so his loyalties are with Louie's.
And that's reason #1 why the whole all freshmen on North thing is just wrong!

Posted by: Robb (---.gradacc.ox.ac.uk)
Date: March 25, 2008 04:37AM

Jeez. Don't scare me like that. I come to the eLF, and there are 17 new posts in a thread about players leaving... What am I supposed to think?

thud

Posted by: puckstopper2 (67.32.36.---)
Date: March 25, 2008 01:58PM

Robb
Jeez. Don't scare me like that. I come to the eLF, and there are 17 new posts in a thread about players leaving... What am I supposed to think?

thud
I assumed it would be 15 post about how the webcast wasn't working.rolleyes

Posted by: pfibiger (---.sip.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 25, 2008 03:29PM

Brandon Thomas in the IJ thinks Riley Nash will be back next year. Though it's just as speculative as this thread, but he does back it up with a little rumor :)

[www.theithacajournal.com]

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2008 04:22PM

pfibiger
Brandon Thomas in the IJ thinks Riley Nash will be back next year. Though it's just as speculative as this thread, but he does back it up with a little rumor :)

As an aside, I thought he has been the best CU hockey reporter in a long time. He generally writes well and on target. So I tend to think he knows of what he speaks.

Date: March 25, 2008 04:41PM

puckstopper2
Robb

thud

I thought it was going to be about The Clash.

- Steve Worona

Date: March 25, 2008 04:45PM

pfibiger

Only 215 days or so until we start to see answers.

That's a long time. :-/

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 25, 2008 04:55PM

Jim Hyla
I thought he has been the best CU hockey reporter in a long time. He generally writes well and on target.
Agreed. Hockey writing is very difficult -- there are too many Dickie Dunns out there, and we've had our share. But this guy has been consistently good, and actually appears to understand the game.

Posted by: ForkEmDevils (---.PHNX.QWEST.NET)
Date: March 26, 2008 02:00AM

Beeeej
puckstopper2
Robb

thud

I thought it was going to be about The Clash.
lol. Let's throw in some basketball scores and more bs about the school bands.
Since I have insight into the team and coaching which I won't go into. Don't even bother to PM me cuz I won't tell you. I think many will be surprised on who leaves for the upcoming season. With the way this team is coached I'm surprised anyone sticks around. The Keenan approach of not communicating with your players doesn't work in this era.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2008 02:51AM

Oh good, the offseason, time to go through this crap again.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: pfibiger (---.186.101.97.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: October 28, 2011 08:51AM

CowbellGuy
What Beeeej said. As for staying/going, I think if Edmonton knows what's best for Riley's development he'll be gone next year. I suspect Greening will be here for all four years. Having said that, and I've said it before, I think Greening will be in the NHL before Riley.

After Colin scored another goal last night and everyone raves about his play w/ the Sens, I thought I remembered this prediction and figured I'd try to dig it up.

Well done.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: October 28, 2011 10:41AM

pfibiger
CowbellGuy

After Colin scored another goal last night and everyone raves about his play w/ the Sens, I thought I remembered this prediction and figured I'd try to dig it up.

Well done.

Jebus. For the record, I HATE when an old thread with this subject suddenly jumps to the top of the topic list. And at this time of year, my heart would like to extend a flipd to pfibiger. :-}

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.atc-nycorp.com)
Date: October 28, 2011 11:14AM

RichH
Jebus. For the record, I HATE when an old thread with this subject suddenly jumps to the top of the topic list.

Ah, good, I'm not the only one who had that reaction.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 28, 2011 04:59PM

I just hate it when Age is right.:)

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: October 28, 2011 09:46PM

Hey, by now you should either be used to it or numb to it. ;)

Jim Hyla
I just hate it when Age is right.:)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login