Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Selection Show

Posted by sah67 
Selection Show
Posted by: sah67 (---.customer.static.ip.paetec.net)
Date: March 23, 2008 11:42AM

So far, Bob Norton has referred to Clarkson as Niagara, misquoted about three different statistics, and one of the other correspondents in quick succession called the Colorado College goalie and coach by incorrect names. Gotta love when these guys do their homework before getting on tv ;)

The Albany regional will have Clarkson vs. St Cloud and Niagara vs. Michigan

Princeton gets NoDak in Madison
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2008 11:43AM by sah67.

Re: Selection Show
Posted by: Chris 02 (---.icsincorporated.com)
Date: March 23, 2008 11:52AM

So Clarkson gets a trip to Albany after all?

At least the committee didn't make it easy for Wisconsin. They have to play Denver and then theoretically North Dakota (if the seeds hold).

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2008 11:53AM

At least it saved our (not-so-)annual bitching about being sent west :-P

Posted by: Tom Pasniewski 98 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2008 12:27PM

I've worshipped the Pairwise since they were created and check them after every game and I know the Pairwise and the NC$$ criteria say that Wisconsin should be in but they have a losing record, losing comparison to Minnesota State, the team that should be in and by putting them in, the losing record team plays on their home ice. How is that difficult?

Wisconsin shutout North Dakota at home this season.
Wisconsin beat Denver in Denver this season.
2-2 against your (potential) regional opponents is not bad and you're familiar with them.

I challenge (because I have to leave for Bridgeport in a bit and the data is way too scattered) for somebody to find an example of the NC$$ selecting at large a team in any sport with a losing record.

I'm only this animated because we have:
1. Six straight years of 'western' NCAA men's champions (and with this field seven seems likely)
2. Nine straight years (after yesterday) of 'western' NCAA women's champions
3. March 26, 2006

End rant.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2008 01:02PM

The only way I can rationalize the Midwest/Wisconsin bracket is that playing Wisconsin (#3 seed in the bracket at home) is not as much of a disadvantage for the WCHA teams as it would be for say, Michigan or Miami or UNH.

It has been said (not by me) that the teams in the WCHA are so equal and they beat each other up on a regular basis. Well, next weekend in Madison they can have one big WCHA showdown or badger/pioneer/sioux brawl. popcorn

PS I hope the Tigers can come away with a victory or two.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2008 02:23PM by Rita.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2008 08:42PM

sah67
The Albany regional will have Clarkson vs. St Cloud and Niagara vs. Michigan
If Clarkson can't win a game when they're the de facto home team and are playing against a team that also tends to choke in the NCAAs... well, that'd be pretty sad. This is about as favorable of a draw as Clarkson possibly could've hoped for.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2008 09:01PM

I like how they went out of their way to protect no. 1 seeds from having to play at host schools the year Michigan doesn't have a home regional. Wouldn't want poor Michigan to get a taste of its own medicine now would we? Woulda been funny to see an under-.500 Bucky team knock of Michigan at home to earn a FF bid.

Posted by: daredevilcu (---.dsl1.nor.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 23, 2008 09:48PM

Chris '03
I like how they went out of their way to protect no. 1 seeds from having to play at host schools the year Michigan doesn't have a home regional. Wouldn't want poor Michigan to get a taste of its own medicine now would we? Woulda been funny to see an under-.500 Bucky team knock of Michigan at home to earn a FF bid.

Technicality, but an under-.500 Wisconsin team wouldn't have been able to knock off Michigan. After their first round win, before their game against Michigan, they'd be a .500 team.

Posted by: Annoying name here (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2008 10:01PM

Why do we need to do to become a host school? BU hosts in order to stay back here in the East if they make the tournament. That would have helped in years past when the system royally screwed us.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2008 02:03AM

FRAT GUY AT TRILLIUM IN LYNAH FAITHFU
Why do we need to do to become a host school? BU hosts in order to stay back here in the East if they make the tournament. That would have helped in years past when the system royally screwed us.

Well, as for what we need to do, I suppose it's just submitting an application. Now, as for whether we'd be chosen, with a smaller rink and a somewhat out of the way location, that's another question altogether.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: RichH (76.28.11.---)
Date: March 24, 2008 02:25AM

FRAT GUY AT TRILLIUM IN LYNAH FAITHFU

Well, you need an Athletic Department who is willing and financially able to do all the work involved in hosting. As far as facilities, Lynah isn't adequate for such a thing, so it would have to be in a place like Rochester, Syracuse, or Binghamton. The host of the 2007 Regional in Rochester was the ECAC.

RPI frequently hosts regionals in Albany...and is in fact the co-host of the East regional next week with the ECAC Hockey being the other host. Next year, it moves to the Bridgeport Arena with Fairfield and Yale co-hosting. (Albany & Bridgeport repeats until 2011).

[www.ncaa.com]

Posted by: Annoying name here (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2008 02:57PM

Right, but it need not be here at Lynah. I meant that BU has hosted in Worcester, not at the Agganis. I guess Athletics would not be willing to fully prop up an Albany/Syracuse/Rochester regional.

Posted by: CM cWo 44 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2008 04:02PM

I was having this discussion in between games in Albany.

IMO I think the facilities that make geographical sense for Cornell to host are simply inadequate for the NCAA Tournament to go there. Broome County Vet in Binghamton is basically the size of Lynah (4727 capacity), and the War Memorial in Syracuse is around 6000. Both are also old and not fan friendly. The only decent option near Ithaca would be Blue Cross, and as mentioned there is competition to being the host (ECAC, RIT).

It really comes down to wanting to be host, and presenting a proposal to the NCAA. I'm sure they wouldn't mind the prospect of Cornell hosting and the potential attendance increase that would entail. I'm sure there's some leniency with geography if Cornell wanted to sponsor Albany or even Scranton. IIRC Michigan Tech hosted the Green Bay Regional-- now that's a stretch.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2008 04:10PM

Navy (along with the AHA) is hosting the DC FF next year, and they don't even have a team. It seems that there is opportunity if a school wants to do it.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: March 24, 2008 04:18PM

For those not in the know, what goes into "hosting", and what benefit is derived for the host school, beyond being the nominal "host"?

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 24, 2008 04:35PM

CM cWo 44
It really comes down to wanting to be host, and presenting a proposal to the NCAA. I'm sure they wouldn't mind the prospect of Cornell hosting and the potential attendance increase that would entail. I'm sure there's some leniency with geography if Cornell wanted to sponsor Albany or even Scranton. IIRC Michigan Tech hosted the Green Bay Regional-- now that's a stretch.
I don't think geography is a requirement when it comes to hosting. One of the Alaska schools "hosted" the Anaheim FF a few years back. Based on that standard, we could host in Philadelphia or DC. The question is willingness to host and do the work involved in hosting (that is, organizing the effort). The further the site is from the host school the harder it would be for the school to demonstrate that they could effectively coordinate the event.

Cornell has hosted NCAA tournament events in other sports, but I can only think of events that took place in Ithaca (e.g. lacrosse). That's a lot easier than hosting an off campus event in another city.

Re: Hosting
Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: March 24, 2008 04:55PM

Hosting would be a great, hands-on project for the Hotel School. Of course it would require Athletics and the Hotel School to work smoothly together, but I'd think the Hotel School would (or at least should) love to have a project like this - starting with the proposal writing, related planning and negotiation with potential sites and presentation to the NCAA and then continuing hopefully with actual detailed event planning and execution. It would be a chance for students to get real event planning experience that doesn't come along often in an academic setting.

Re: Hosting
Date: March 24, 2008 05:06PM

jkahn
Hosting would be a great, hands-on project for the Hotel School. Of course it would require Athletics and the Hotel School to work smoothly together, but I'd think the Hotel School would (or at least should) love to have a project like this - starting with the proposal writing, related planning and negotiation with potential sites and presentation to the NCAA and then continuing hopefully with actual detailed event planning and execution. It would be a chance for students to get real event planning experience that doesn't come along often in an academic setting.
Sounds reasonable. But remember, there's a time lag between proposal and the actual event. The students who were involved in the proposal writing might have graduated by the time the event happens. So the Hotel School would have to assume that they would have sufficient participation at a later date from students over a number of years. (The regionals aren't set as far in advance as the FF but it's still not the same year.) This is a risk that might be enough to discourage either the HS or the AD or both.

Date: March 24, 2008 05:09PM

Jordan 04
For those not in the know, what goes into "hosting", and what benefit is derived for the host school, beyond being the nominal "host"?
The biggest one is that if your team is in the tournament, they're automatically placed at the regional that you're hosting rather than potentially having to travel to a regional further away. (I'm not sure whether that was part of what you meant by being the nominal host.)

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: March 24, 2008 05:14PM

Josh '99
Jordan 04
The biggest one is that if your team is in the tournament, they're automatically placed at the regional that you're hosting rather than potentially having to travel to a regional further away. (I'm not sure whether that was part of what you meant by being the nominal host.)

True, forgot about that one, but I see that as a coincidental benefit. I meant more a case such as RPI this year for Albany: What hosting duties do they have, and what benefit, if any, do they derive from hosting?

Date: March 24, 2008 05:15PM

Jordan 04
True, forgot about that one, but I see that as a coincidental benefit. I meant more a case such as RPI this year for Albany: What hosting duties do they have, and what benefit, if any, do they derive from hosting?
I don't really know. I think sometimes documents about that sort of thing make their way online, maybe there's something with that information on the NCAA website?

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.caltech.edu)
Date: March 24, 2008 05:17PM

I assume there is a revenue benefit to the host. You probably also get free advertising for your school during the intermissions, in the programs, and possibly on the ice surface.

Posted by: reilly83 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2008 08:33PM

crazy Let's set up an outdoor rink in Schoellkopf!

Date: March 24, 2008 08:39PM

reilly83
Hey, they've done it in the NHL, they're going it for the Frozen Four, why not in a regional?

Posted by: mnagowski (---.allfirst.com)
Date: March 24, 2008 09:53PM

reilly83

Michigan State did it. So did Wisconsin.

[www.metaezra.com]

Posted by: Annoying name here (---.opac.cornell.edu)
Date: March 25, 2008 12:57AM

Why would the Athletics Department be automatically opposed? You'd think we'd have the resources to host. I mean, it's not like we're some crap school like RPI.

Date: March 25, 2008 06:58AM

Annoying name here
Why would the Athletics Department be automatically opposed? You'd think we'd have the resources to host. I mean, it's not like we're some crap school like RPI.

See: lacrosse, north regional, 2004 (?), Schoellkopf.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: March 25, 2008 12:38PM

Chris '03
Don't they deserve the easiest draw given their overall #1 PWR ranking? They worked all season long to get in position for the overall best draw. The fact that as a non #1 seed in the past they've played at their home as regional host (and had success) is a different issue. Isn't that how it works for everyone?

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: March 25, 2008 02:02PM

RatushnyFan
Chris '03
Don't they deserve the easiest draw given their overall #1 PWR ranking? They worked all season long to get in position for the overall best draw. The fact that as a non #1 seed in the past they've played at their home as regional host (and had success) is a different issue. Isn't that how it works for everyone?

Did we get the worst team as the #1 overall seed?

As for "easiest" draw, while Wisconsin has the worst win-loss record, using the PWR it still ends up being the AH/CHA autobids.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: djk26 (65.91.169.---)
Date: March 25, 2008 02:08PM

DeltaOne81, what do you mean? Were there a lot of problems with hosting that regional? I'm asking because I genuinely don't know.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.caltech.edu)
Date: March 25, 2008 02:10PM

djk26
DeltaOne81, what do you mean? Were there a lot of problems with hosting that regional? I'm asking because I genuinely don't know.

Yes, there were a ton of problems with hosting the lax regional. The most glaring one was that the scoreboard stopped working for the end of one of the games and they had to keep time manually on the sidelines and yell to the players how much time was left. IIRC, they also ran out of food at the concession stands before it was over.

Date: March 25, 2008 02:26PM

Jacob '06
Yes, there were a ton of problems with hosting the lax regional. The most glaring one was that the scoreboard stopped working for the end of one of the games and they had to keep time manually on the sidelines and yell to the players how much time was left. IIRC, they also ran out of food at the concession stands before it was over.

The incompetence of Cornell University never ceases to amaze me.

Date: March 25, 2008 02:37PM

djk26
Jacob '06

The incompetence of Cornell University never ceases to amaze me.
Don't worry. Over time they will lose their ability to amaze as you slip into cynicism. Doesn't take that long either.

Date: March 25, 2008 03:16PM

KeithK
Don't worry. Over time they will lose their ability to amaze as you slip into cynicism. Doesn't take that long either.

It's already started to happen, Keith. I planned an alumni event in August. It was a great success, and many of the people at Cornell worked hard to make it happen (especially the staff at the Statler.) But my God it was hard to work with some of them in planning events. I got the impression that they wanted to enforce their rules rather than help their customers.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 25, 2008 03:20PM

djk26
KeithK

It's already started to happen, Keith. I planned an alumni event in August. It was a great success, and many of the people at Cornell worked hard to make it happen (especially the staff at the Statler.) But my God it was hard to work with some of them in planning events. I got the impression that they wanted to enforce their rules rather than help their customers.

Sometimes preserving your ability to do the latter requires doing the former.

On the other hand, Cornell can rest somewhat assured in the generalization that it's mostly the alumni who care the most about their alma mater who are likely to get so upset by it.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: March 25, 2008 03:51PM

Wow, thread drift. (points to self): "It's all your fault!"

Beeeej, I think that it was the attitude of many of the people that "helped" us that turned me off. It was as if, "Well, if you want to have an event here, you need to fill out these 19 forms. Oh, you want help in how to do it? That's not my problem. I just need you to fill out the forms. I'm not actually interested in helping you." Like I said, though, there were many people at CU that DID go out of their way to help, and for that I am grateful.

I guess I should make SOME comment about the Selection Show on this thread. Ok, here it is: I predict that the final will be Princeton vs. Michigan. Michigan will win 7-1, and their fans, having learned snark from the Lynah Faithful, will chant, "Hobey hates you." I wish I had actually done that at a Princeton game. :-)

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.itt.com)
Date: March 25, 2008 03:54PM

Jacob '06
djk26

The scoreboard was bad enough, but...

It was a very hot day (80+?), and they didn't just run out of food, they ran out of all water and all drinks. And not just before they end, it was before the end of the first (of two) games! And even while they had it, the lines at the few concessions that were manned were probably 50 people deep at all times.

You had Cornell in one game, and Syracuse in the other. To say the least, you could've expected a crowd.

I walked down to smoothie hut to get a cool drink between games (bubble tea I think banana, or maybe a smoothie, I dunno). But those who didn't know the area were not as lucky.

After that, I wouldn't blame the NCAA if they never wanted to let the Cornell AD (Dept, not Director - I won't make it personal) within 500 feet of another regional. Although some idea like making it a project run by the hotel school might be unique enough to break through that.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2008 04:55PM

DeltaOne81
After that, I wouldn't blame the NCAA if they never wanted to let the Cornell AD (Dept, not Director - I won't make it personal) within 500 feet of another regional.
The 2008 NCAA lacrosse regionals will be held at Schoellkopf on May 18.popcorn

Date: March 25, 2008 07:18PM

Al DeFlorio

Is Cornell hosting? ;)

Perfect smiley for it though Al. If they don't run out of popcorn.

Lets hope our alma mater has learned and can redeem themselves. It'd be good for the school to be a player and get a defacto home game for some of these things, even if its not hockey. Although who knows, a good experience hosting lax may encourage them to consider making a hockey bid with Albany or Scranton (neat idea, btw) - can't hurt anyway.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2008 09:06PM

DeltaOne81
Al DeFlorio

Is Cornell hosting? ;)

Perfect smiley for it though Al. If they don't run out of popcorn.

Lets hope our alma mater has learned and can redeem themselves. It'd be good for the school to be a player and get a defacto home game for some of these things, even if its not hockey. Although who knows, a good experience hosting lax may encourage them to consider making a hockey bid with Albany or Scranton (neat idea, btw) - can't hurt anyway.
Best to bring a sack lunch, Fred, and maybe a banana.

Posted by: daredevilcu (---.dsl1.nor.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 26, 2008 11:13AM

Surgeon's General Warning: Eating dancing bananas may be hazardous to your health.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 26, 2008 01:01PM

I'd love it if Wilkes-Barre could hold a regional, but it only seats about 8,000 for hockey. I don't think that's big enough for the NC$$.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 26, 2008 02:13PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
I'd love it if Wilkes-Barre could hold a regional, but it only seats about 8,000 for hockey. I don't think that's big enough for the NC$$.

The new O2 World in Berlin is going to seat 17,000. Maybe we can have a Northeast Regional here.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.itt.com)
Date: March 26, 2008 02:54PM

Jeff Hopkins '82

Arena at Harbor yard for next year (and 2011) is only 8500. Same with the Mullins Center (UMass-Amherst) that held a regional a couple years ago.

They do tend to prefer venues in the mid-teens, but they haven't shown any refusal to drop to 8K or so.

Date: March 26, 2008 03:04PM

DeltaOne81
Jeff Hopkins '82

Arena at Harbor yard for next year (and 2011) is only 8500. Same with the Mullins Center (UMass-Amherst) that held a regional a couple years ago.

They do tend to prefer venues in the mid-teens, but they haven't shown any refusal to drop to 8K or so.
I was under the impression that the regionals generally don't sell out anyway. Or have things changed in the last few years without me noticing?

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: March 26, 2008 03:08PM

KeithK
DeltaOne81
Jeff Hopkins '82

I was under the impression that the regionals generally don't sell out anyway. Or have things changed in the last few years without me noticing?

There weren't too many empty seats in 2006 in Green Bay. I think the regionals held in the west on (or very near) a campus with the host team in it do sellout.

Date: March 26, 2008 03:14PM

Rita
KeithK
DeltaOne81
Jeff Hopkins '82

There weren't too many empty seats in 2006 in Green Bay. I think the regionals held in the west on (or very near) a campus with the host team in it do sellout.
That sounds familiar. But attendance at eastern regionals is more relevant to a Cornell or SWB bid.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 26, 2008 03:14PM

Rita
KeithK

My recollection is that Day 2 of Worcester in 2002 and both days of Providence in 2003 were awfully close to sold out, if not actually sold out. Not everybody attends both games any given day, which could create a different impression.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: March 26, 2008 03:23PM

Beeeej
Rita
KeithK

My recollection is that Day 2 of Worcester in 2002 and both days of Providence in 2003 were awfully close to sold out, if not actually sold out. Not everybody attends both games any given day, which could create a different impression.

2003 due in part to BC making it to the regional finals v. Cornell and 2002 BU was in the Worcester regional final. 2002 was the last year of the 12 team tourney with the top 4 teams getting the first round bye (thank goodness).

Posted by: CM cWo 44 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2008 03:41PM

Yost is also in the mid 6000s in capacity and has hosted regionals recently. Assuming UM gets in, that'll always sell out.

It seems like the minimum for a non-campus arena in now 10,000. Bridgeport, Green Bay, and Grand Rapids are each almost exactly that amount.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2008 03:41PM by CM cWo 44.

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: March 26, 2008 04:30PM

Beeeej

Providence was only packed in our quarter of the ice. I'd guess they were at about 2/3 of the 11,000 hockey capacity. In Minny and Green Bay, you'd be hard pressed to find an empty seat, at least while the Minnesota and Wisconsin games were being played. A question for a place like Scranton is how well would they draw if Cornell wasn't in it. Unlike Providence, Worcester and Albany, is it too remote from college hockey interests to attract a lot of casual college hockey fans?

Posted by: pat (---.telebecinternet.net)
Date: March 26, 2008 07:35PM

KeithK
I don't think geography is a requirement when it comes to hosting. One of the Alaska schools "hosted" the Anaheim FF a few years back. Based on that standard, we could host in Philadelphia or DC.

Based on that standard, WE could have hosted in Anaheim.

Date: March 26, 2008 10:32PM

pat
KeithK
I don't think geography is a requirement when it comes to hosting. One of the Alaska schools "hosted" the Anaheim FF a few years back. Based on that standard, we could host in Philadelphia or DC.

Sure, but the further away the hosting school is from the venue, the more difficult it is to coordinate things, and (for regionals) the less the benefit of automatic placement.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: March 26, 2008 10:59PM

Josh '99
pat
KeithK

Sure, but the further away the hosting school is from the venue, the more difficult it is to coordinate things, and (for regionals) the less the benefit of automatic placement.
Well, there's about zero chance they'll hold a regional in a non-traditional site like Anaheim, so placement isn't really an issue.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 27, 2008 08:00AM

The other thing is Albany, Bridgeport and Worcester are locked in for several years. We're looking at 2012 or later here.

While we're dreaming, thay could always hold a regional at the Spectrum in Philly. That is, if they don't knock it down to build a shopping mall.

What are the odds?
Date: March 28, 2008 08:26AM

FYI, I just wrote an article over at CHN, estimating the each team's chances to win various numbers of games in the NCAAs using KRACH: [www.collegehockeynews.com]

Re: What are the odds?
Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: March 28, 2008 11:01AM

jtwcornell91
FYI, I just wrote an article over at CHN, estimating the each team's chances to win various numbers of games in the NCAAs using KRACH: [www.collegehockeynews.com]
It's strange - the math looks right, but I ran it for the years 2000 - 2007 and it gives Harvard a nonzero number. You might want to tinker.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2008 09:40PM

I'm afraid you have slipped up in the second round (and perhaps later). Your numbers violate unitarity. Taking the numbers at face value, we only have a 72.272% chance of having any team win four games.

For everyone else: If we add up the percentages after one round, the grand total should be 800% because eight teams win at least one game. That's good. If we add up the percentages for winning two games, the total should be 400% because four teams win at least two games. In your table the total is 374%. With each region the total should be 100%, but the numbers vary from 89.5 to 96.2.

Edit: I see that another Dave has made the same observation on the CHN comments.

Re-edit: I disagree with a few of Dave, Madison's numbers at the one or two tenths of a percent level, but I won't claim perfection.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2008 10:10PM by David Harding.

Date: March 29, 2008 07:32AM

Yep, there was a bug in how opponents for later rounds were determined, related to the different ways Perl and PHP handle the modulus function (and the fact that I only checked the results for teams not impacted by that problem). It's been fixed now, and the probabilities add up to 100% within roundoff error.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2008 08:38AM

jtwcornell91

I like the concept and I love the hard work that you put into this project, yet three of the games yesterday were good arguments for playing (and watching) the games rather than worrying about who should win.

My conclusion is that there isn't a better game to watch than college hockey. As a corollary, I propose that there isn't a better game for which to run that simulation - if only because we appreciate it as fans.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 29, 2008 01:22PM

David Harding
I'm afraid you have slipped up in the second round (and perhaps later). Your numbers violate unitarity. Taking the numbers at face value, we only have a 72.272% chance of having any team win four games.
Funny. I noticed that but assumed that I was simply wrong to assume that the numbers should add up to 100%. Mental note: gain more confidence in math/logic, even around engineers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login