Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

ECAC Consy: Colgate 2 Cornell 4 (final)

Posted by TShen 
ECAC Consy: Colgate 2 Cornell 4 (final)
Posted by: TShen (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2008 05:05PM

Thank you seniors!

COR-1 Krantz (M. Kennedy) 13:45 1st
COL-1 Carty (Werner) 16:04 1st
COR-2 Sawada PPG (M. Devin, M. Kennedy) 7:31 2nd
COR-3 Krueger PPG (Scott, M. Kennedy) 8:57 2nd
COR-4 Greening PPG (B. Nash, R. Nash) 3:19 3rd
COL-2 Burton (Camper) 18:35 3rd

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2008 06:13PM by TShen.

Re: ECAC Consy: Colgate 1 Cornell 1 (2nd)
Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2008 05:09PM

Now 3-1 Cornell. Sawada and Krueger have 2nd period goals.
See [blog.collegehockeynews.com] for Avash's live blog of the game.

Re: ECAC Consy: Colgate 1 Cornell 4 (3rd)
Posted by: jy3 (---.alb.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 22, 2008 05:41PM

i was wondering what was going on with the game. it is not on tv that I can find here in the albany area on dish

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: March 22, 2008 05:47PM

Consy not worthy of TV coverage. The game is part of the B2 video package ($25 for all 4 games this weekend) or the RedCast audio.

Colgate has free audio.

According to my DirectTV guide, the ECAC finals will be shown on channel 625 (FSNY?).

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.icsincorporated.com)
Date: March 22, 2008 05:51PM

Who's playing goal for Cornell?

Date: March 22, 2008 05:52PM

Chris 02
Who's playing goal for Cornell?
Scrivens.

Posted by: hockeydude (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2008 05:53PM

I have to disagree with this decision by the Cornell coaching staff.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2008 06:38PM by hockeydude.

Date: March 22, 2008 05:54PM

Scrivens is still in goal (I have been listening with "half an ear";).

Mark Dekanich started in goal for Colgate but was replaced about halfway through the game by senior back-up Justin Kowalkoski.

Date: March 22, 2008 05:54PM

Berk, Roeszler, and Nichols are skating. I guess Barlow, Fontas, and Taylor Davenport are out.

Date: March 22, 2008 05:56PM

DiLeo is in for CU now.

Posted by: shand35 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2008 05:57PM

DeLeo now in goal for last. 3 minutes

Posted by: hockeydude (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2008 05:57PM

good to see him get some time.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2008 06:39PM by hockeydude.

Date: March 22, 2008 06:10PM

A nice way for the team (Scott and Sawada in particular) to finish out the season. Not exactly the game that they wanted to win to end the season, but still a good win.

I am happy for the hope that the team gave us as the calendar turned to spring that maybe, just maybe, they could play their way into the NC$$. Yes, it is a bummer that they didn't but they tried.

Thanks again Seniors!

Re: ECAC Consy: Colgate 2 Cornell 4 (final)
Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 22, 2008 06:46PM

And they say that every team but one finishes the season with a loss!

shand35
DeLeo now in goal for last 3 minutes.
And gives up a goal. *sigh* (At least it was on a rebound and he got a save first.)

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2008 06:46PM

We win the New York Belt!!!!

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.gunnery.org)
Date: March 22, 2008 07:00PM

May be DiLeo's swan song playing hockey at Cornell. With Garman coming in and no one graduating, I'm guessing either DiLeo or Davenport will not be on the team next year.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 22, 2008 07:19PM

calgARI '07
May be DiLeo's swan song playing hockey at Cornell. With Garman coming in and no one graduating, I'm guessing either DiLeo or Davenport will not be on the team next year.

Is there an Ivy/ECAC/NCAA limit to the number of people you can have on the team? I know there is for how many are dressed of course, but is there any reason they couldn't have 4 goalies officially on the team in practices even if they don't travel, etc.

Date: March 22, 2008 07:44PM

DeltaOne81

Is there an Ivy/ECAC/NCAA limit to the number of people you can have on the team? I know there is for how many are dressed of course, but is there any reason they couldn't have 4 goalies officially on the team in practices even if they don't travel, etc.

I don't know of any limit but it is extremely rare for any team at any level to carry four goaltenders.

Posted by: beejj (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2008 08:07PM

calgARI '07
DeltaOne81

I don't know of any limit but it is extremely rare for any team at any level to carry four goaltenders.
Well that clears that up. Thanks.bugeye

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 22, 2008 08:25PM

calgARI '07

I've no doubt it is, but I wonder i that's because its extremely rare for an team to have recruited 4 goalies in 4 years. I'd wonder in those few cases where they have, whether its rare or not or them to keep them on the roster.

Other levels may be different because we know they have a total roster limit.

Date: March 22, 2008 08:31PM

DeltaOne81

I've no doubt it is, but I wonder i that's because its extremely rare for an team to have recruited 4 goalies in 4 years. I'd wonder in those few cases where they have, whether its rare or not or them to keep them on the roster.

Well Davenport is a pretty special case. Obviously he was recruited the first time but I wonder how much he was pursued to come back. Schafer was definitely not a huge fan of the guy at one point for leaving the team mid-season (and rightfully so). DiLeo is clearly fourth in terms of ability but it wouldn't shock me if Davenport was the odd man out. Schafer has cut players before, most recently McLeod who he of course later asked back.

Posted by: beejj (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2008 08:35PM

calgARI '07
DeltaOne81

Well Davenport is a pretty special case. Obviously he was recruited the first time but I wonder how much he was pursued to come back. Schafer was definitely not a huge fan of the guy at one point for leaving the team mid-season (and rightfully so). DiLeo is clearly fourth in terms of ability but it wouldn't shock me if Davenport was the odd man out. Schafer has cut players before, most recently McLeod who he of course later asked back.
He was asked back because we lost players late to the pros and he lost weight and finally got himself in decent shape. I tend to doubt he would have been asked back if there was anyone else to fill the roster spot at that point in the offseason.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.static.mtpk.ca.charter.com)
Date: March 22, 2008 08:43PM

I'm pretty sure SLU carried four goaltenders this year. I don't think it is unheard of.

Date: March 22, 2008 08:46PM

Jacob '06
I'm pretty sure SLU carried four goaltenders this year. I don't think it is unheard of.

Not unheard of, just extremely rare.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2008 09:08PM

calgARI '07
Jacob '06

Not unheard of, just extremely rare.

Maybe it's a growing trend: Harvard and Yale appear to be joining the 4G club next season.

Date: March 22, 2008 09:11PM

Has Cornell ever carried four goaltenders before?

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2008 09:27PM

Maybe a team carries four goalies if two (three?) will be seniors or you fear a non-senior might jump after next year and you're unsure of the pipeline?

Posted by: mhand06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2008 12:30PM

we had Davenport, Dileo, Scrivens,

Posted by: RichH (76.28.11.---)
Date: March 23, 2008 03:41PM

Say what you will about the usefulness of consolation games, but in years like this, I feel very consoled. It was good for me to wash out the bad feelings and have a chance to say "goodbye" to this year's version of the Cornell team, as well as get another look at Colgate's good senior class.

And hey, we can now claim to be one of 3 teams in the nation to finish their season with a win. Maine (didn't make playoffs), NMU (CCHA Consy), and the winner of the Big One are the others.

Edit: added Maine.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2008 02:28AM by RichH.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2008 04:52PM

I think at one point our PP unit was Roeszler - Nicholls - Mugford - Berk - Krueger or something similar.

Great to see DiLeo play.

It was disappointing to see Cornell in the early game, but I agree with RichH that it's definitely nicer to end the season with a win than to go home after the loss to Harvard.

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.icsincorporated.com)
Date: March 23, 2008 05:24PM

RichH
Say what you will about the usefulness of consolation games, but in years like this, I feel very consoled. It was good for me to wash out the bad feelings and have a chance to say "goodbye" to this year's version of the Cornell team, as well as get another look at Colgate's good senior class.

And hey, we can now claim to be one of 3 teams in the nation to finish their season with a win. NMU and the winner of the Big One are the others.

Actually Maine finished its season with 3 wins. But it didn't make the Hockey East playoffs. Merrimack also didn't make the playoffs, but lost their last couple of games.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2008 06:46PM

Chris 02
Actually Maine finished its season with 3 wins. But it didn't make the Hockey East playoffs. Merrimack also didn't make the playoffs, but lost their last couple of games.
Nice to see that someone, somewhere didn't make the playoffs. Seeing twelfth-place teams in the playoffs and teams with losing records invited to play for the national championship just makes me scratch my head. Why not just send 'em all to Harvard and give 'em A+?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2008 07:13PM

RichH
And watch Harvard lose. And watch a really interesting and talented Princeton team get what they deserved. I agree -- this was the only SF-losing weekend I've ever enjoyed. It's probably because just getting back to Albany felt like a gift.

Next year -- not so much. I think they are returning enough that they ought to challenge for the title.

Posted by: ajc69 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 23, 2008 11:35PM

Hey, I'm a senior and have become rather attached to our senior hockey boys (in a non-sorority girl way :-P). I'm hoping to find a picture of the three guys hugging just before they got off the ice to be able to frame, any ideas?

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2008 12:03AM

ajc69
Hey, I'm a senior and have become rather attached to our senior hockey boys (in a non-sorority girl way :-P). I'm hoping to find a picture of the three guys hugging just before they got off the ice to be able to frame, any ideas?

The guy who I assume is the official athletic department photographer was there and taking lots of pictures. He usually wears a Hawaiian shirt. I'm not sure how to contact him, but he probably got a shot of the hug.

Posted by: RichH (76.28.11.---)
Date: March 24, 2008 02:31AM

Chris 02

Right you are...post edited. I still haven't gotten used to HEA not having an odd # of teams, and only looked up last-place Merrimack's finish. Also not used to a program like Maine not making the playoffs.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2008 12:05PM

calgARI '07
Has Cornell ever carried four goaltenders before?

I don't know if they were all technically on the roster at the same time, but in the 1986-87 season, the Big Red had four goaltenders appear in games: Jim Edmands, Darin McInnes (who left after fall semester), Don Fawcett, and Wayne Skelton.

Looks like it happened in 1976-77 also, with Steve Napier and John Vandermark seeing most of the action but Kevin Wang and Mike Doyle appearing in a game each.

(roster information courtesy of [www.tbrw.info])

Posted by: redice (---.154.218.106.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: March 24, 2008 12:32PM

calgARI '07

Unless Davenport cops an attitude (about lack of playing time), it will be DiLeo who is the odd man out. In one way, it's most unfortunate; in another way, it's nice to see what is obviously an upgrade to the goaltending situation.

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: March 24, 2008 01:11PM

...or maybe Scrivens has been secretly training for the basketball team. I've noticed he likes to leave his skates a little too much for my comfort, but this vertical is pretty impressive in full gear:

[news.yahoo.com]

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2008 01:29PM

RichH
...or maybe Scrivens has been secretly training for the basketball team. I've noticed he likes to leave his skates a little too much for my comfort, but this vertical is pretty impressive in full gear:

[news.yahoo.com]

Since Pelle wound up scoring Harvard's last two goals, it's a shame Scrivens couldn't have "oopsie" kicked him in the head or something mid-leap.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 24, 2008 03:21PM

ajc69

mha got a decent shot:

[www.facebook.com]

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: mha (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: March 24, 2008 04:04PM

I got several, and can upload more of them.

Date: March 24, 2008 04:06PM

That's Ned Dykes, and I can ask him if he got additional shots. Here's a link to that Facebook album...

[cornell.facebook.com]

...and the Flickr set...

[www.flickr.com]

Lots of overlap, but not identical sets.

Date: March 24, 2008 04:08PM

ajc69
I'm hoping to find a picture of the three guys hugging just before they got off the ice to be able to frame, any ideas?

For framing purposes, I'd be happy to send you the full-resolution originals. Send me a private message here or on Facebook.

Posted by: BMac (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 24, 2008 09:54PM

Hi mha (and others),

Does anyone happen to have photos of the home Sucks game of the poster show in Section A right before the game?

I'd LOVE to get a good shot from that.

Thanks in advance.

Re: ECAC Consy: Winchester now a Sen
Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2008 11:40PM

Not quite sure where to put this and it didn't seem like it was worth a new thread.

Colgate's Jesse Winchester signed a one year contract with the Ottawa Senators.

Winchester's comments on the signing are here. He had some nice things to say about his 4 year college experience.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2008 07:34AM

Rita
Not quite sure where to put this and it didn't seem like it was worth a new thread.

Colgate's Jesse Winchester signed a one year contract with the Ottawa Senators.

Winchester's comments on the signing are here. He had some nice things to say about his 4 year college experience.
Dartmouth's J.T. Wyman signed a few days ago, I think also after four years.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 25, 2008 10:56AM

Wasn't it Winchester that Joe N. was scouting during the Colgate-Cornell weekend? Maybe he wasn't too impressed ;)

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.host.starwoodhotels.com)
Date: March 25, 2008 05:52PM

A truly remarkable accomplishment to have not missed a game in 4 years, especially considering his size and the intensity with which he played.

To state the obvious, Topher will be missed.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 26, 2008 02:01PM

Jordan 04
A truly remarkable accomplishment to have not missed a game in 4 years, especially considering his size and the intensity with which he played.

To state the obvious, Topher will be missed.
Big time. I hope next year's leaders are strong -- they have a huge freshman class to indoctrinate into the Cornell Way.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login