Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

the PWR

Posted by upperdeck 
the PWR
Posted by: upperdeck (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 15, 2008 09:34PM

just noticed we climbed to 19th in the PWR.. but what kind of system is it that a team thats 8th in its league and 5 under .500 is 16th?? and the have allowed 20 more then that have scored?

Re: the PWR
Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.dhcp.psdn.ca.charter.com)
Date: March 15, 2008 09:37PM

upperdeck
just noticed we climbed to 19th in the PWR.. but what kind of system is it that a team thats 8th in its league and 5 under .500 is 16th?? and the have allowed 20 more then that have scored?

Since when were we 8th in our league?

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 15, 2008 09:39PM

Jacob '06
upperdeck

Read upper's posting again, a bit closer this time :)

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: March 15, 2008 09:39PM

Jacob '06
upperdeck

Since when were we 5 under .500 either? He's not talking about us.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.dhcp.psdn.ca.charter.com)
Date: March 15, 2008 09:40PM

Doh!

Posted by: upperdeck (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 15, 2008 09:49PM

sorry.. minn duluth..

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2008 11:40PM

upperdeck
sorry.. minn duluth..

If you guys posted on USCHO more, you would know that the 10th place team in the WCHA would clearly still be the first place team in any other conference.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.icsincorporated.com)
Date: March 16, 2008 09:23AM

Duluth is done. They lost to Denver last night, so no more room for wins...and the rules for picking teams from the Pairwise state you have to be .500 or better overall.

Posted by: jeff '84 (71.167.170.---)
Date: March 16, 2008 10:08AM

"
Chris 02
Duluth is done. They lost to Denver last night, so no more room for wins...and the rules for picking teams from the Pairwise state you have to be .500 or better overall.

Maybe not: [www.uscho.com]

"For about six hours today, this exact blog space was occupied by a story reacting to what we thought was new legislation instituted by the NCAA men’s ice hockey committee that would require at-large teams in this year’s NCAA tournament to posses a record at or above .500.

Well, according to an email that USCHO.com received from the NCAA today, that was a misprint.

So go on with your life, Minnesota-Duluth. Your tournament life may still hang by a thread, but at least it doesn’t hang by your record."

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2008 10:21AM

jeff '84
"
Chris 02

"For about six hours today, this exact blog space was occupied by a story reacting to what we thought was new legislation instituted by the NCAA men’s ice hockey committee that would require at-large teams in this year’s NCAA tournament to posses a record at or above .500.

Well, according to an email that USCHO.com received from the NCAA today, that was a misprint.

So go on with your life, Minnesota-Duluth. Your tournament life may still hang by a thread, but at least it doesn’t hang by your record."
Ridiculous. Even high school teams are required to finish at .500 or above to qualify for postseason tournaments.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 16, 2008 12:32PM

The college hockey world should be rooting for Wisconsin to drop from serious PWR contention. I will be happy if Minnesota drops out also. 5 teams? Fine, but there's no need for the bottom feeding WCHA 6th and 7th teams, especially if and when they lose their quarterfinal series.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2008 12:45PM

Scersk '97
The college hockey world should be rooting for Wisconsin to drop from serious PWR contention. I will be happy if Minnesota drops out also. 5 teams? Fine, but there's no need for the bottom feeding WCHA 6th and 7th teams, especially if and when they lose their quarterfinal series.

Of course, if they are 6th or 7th, they should lose their quarterfinal.banana

Posted by: PAthologicalLynah (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2008 04:43PM

Al DeFlorio
jeff '84
"
Chris 02

"For about six hours today, this exact blog space was occupied by a story reacting to what we thought was new legislation instituted by the NCAAmen’s ice hockey committee that would require at-large teams in this year’s NCAA tournament to posses a record at or above .500.

Ridiculous. Even high school teams are required to finish at .500 or above to qualify for postseason tournaments.

I'm not sure I understand what's so ridiculous. The team's RPI still has to be above .500 to be considered, right? And isn't the whole point of the RPI to account for balance of schedule? Minn-Duluth has played 4 games each against Denver, CC, and NoDak. Believe me, if there were any justifiable way to give it to those stuck up WCHA fans, I would.

What right do I as a Cornell fan have to say they don't belong there when we've only seen 3 quality opponents all season (BU, Clarkson, and UML) and went 0-3-1 against them? Not only that, but got utterly embarrased in the BU game at MSG where we looked like a Bush league team? To me, THAT would be ridiculous.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (128.153.183.---)
Date: March 16, 2008 05:23PM

PAthologicalLynah
...(BU, Clarkson, and UML) and went 0-4-1 against them?

FYP

Date: March 16, 2008 05:27PM

Thx. Also, maybe I should include Sucks as a quality opponent. They hung 11 on Q the other night, and took BC to overtime in the beanpot.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 16, 2008 06:09PM

PAthologicalLynah
Thx. Also, maybe I should include Sucks as a quality opponent.
Off with his tongue!

Date: March 16, 2008 07:25PM

PAthologicalLynah
I'm not sure I understand what's so ridiculous. The team's RPI still has to be above .500 to be considered, right? And isn't the whole point of the RPI to account for balance of schedule? Minn-Duluth has played 4 games each against Denver, CC, and NoDak. Believe me, if there were any justifiable way to give it to those stuck up WCHA fans, I would.

What right do I as a Cornell fan have to say they don't belong there when we've only seen 3 quality opponents all season (BU, Clarkson, and UML) and went 0-3-1 against them? Not only that, but got utterly embarrased in the BU game at MSG where we looked like a Bush league team? To me, THAT would be ridiculous.
First off, pal, I never said boo about whether Cornell should be in the tournament or not, so that rant of yours is irrelevant.

In my opinion, it IS ridiculous that a team that can't win half its games should be invited to participate in a tournament to play for the national championship. I don't care whom they've played. If you lose more than half your games, you play golf in April.

Date: March 16, 2008 08:58PM

Al DeFlorio
PAthologicalLynah

First off, pal, I never said boo about whether Cornell should be in the tournament or not, so that rant of yours is irrelevant.

In my opinion, it IS ridiculous that a team that can't win half its games should be invited to participate in a tournament to play for the national championship. I don't care whom they've played. If you lose more than half your games, you play golf in April.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but if you would deny a bid to a team that played 12 games against the top 5 teams in the country while allowing (insert team here) in that hasn't played a quality opponent all season, then boo to you.

Also, that whole "I never said anything about Cornell" is bunk. If Cornell lost to D last weekend, you'd still be complaining about Minn.-Duluth? Yeah, right.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2008 08:59PM by PAthologicalLynah.

Date: March 16, 2008 09:42PM

PAthologicalLynah
You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but if you would deny a bid to a team that played 12 games against the top 5 teams in the country while allowing (insert team here) in that hasn't played a quality opponent all season, then boo to you.
I don't care how tough your schedule is. If you can't win games you don't deserve a chance to play for the national title. Remember, that's what we're talking about here - a chance to play for the national title. It would be ridiculous if an under .500 was given such a chance.

(And yes, I think it would be ridiculous for an under .500 league tourney winner too, but at least that's an autobid.)

Date: March 16, 2008 10:09PM

So you're saying that if you win your league tourney but are under .500, you don't get a bid?

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I would much rather see the 16 "best" teams, by some objective measure, play than just go purely by W-L.

Date: March 16, 2008 10:13PM

PAthologicalLynah
So you're saying that if you win your league tourney but are under .500, you don't get a bid?

What didn't you get from his post
Keith
(And yes, I think it would be ridiculous for an under .500 league tourney winner too, but at least that's an autobid.

Date: March 16, 2008 10:16PM

You're right, I don't get it. He's saying that no team under .500 should be in the tournament, but then says it's an autobid so that somehow makes it OK? Those two things together don't make sense.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 16, 2008 10:22PM

PAthologicalLynah
You're right, I don't get it. He's saying that no team under .500 should be in the tournament, but then says it's an autobid so that somehow makes it OK? Those two things together don't make sense.

Sure they do. Its perfectly reasonable to believe that winning you conference tournament - as done is basically every sport - gets you into the tourney regardless of the rest of the season. But still that no team should be selected at large if they can't at least win as many games as they lost.

Not sure where I fall on that argument, but its not inconsistent.

Date: March 16, 2008 10:34PM

OK, I read his post wrong, my bad. It didn't make sense that you wouldn't get a bid if you won your tourney.

But back to the original problem with allowing sub .500 teams in at large bids. With the current PWR, Wisconsin would not be eligible for the tournament since they are under .500, and would be replaced by....
Princeton.

To each his own, I guess.

Posted by: Cactus12 (---.med.nyu.edu)
Date: March 16, 2008 10:41PM

I can go out, find 5 other guys, put myself in goal, play against all the WCHA teams, and lose as well...

Yes I know it's a ridiculous statement, but there has to be a serious component of wins-losses in tournament qualification. The players can't control strength of an entire conference... they can either win or lose.

To address Duluth, they weren't exactly 8-0 out of conference (4-3-1). Furthermore, hockey can be a game of bounces. Even a lesser team, I believe, should pick up a win against a tough team if they play them four times. To me, that doesn't demonstrate that the lesser team is necessarily deserving of a NCAA bid.

Date: March 16, 2008 11:01PM

PAthologicalLynah
I would greatly prefer that the league tournaments didn't let everyone in. Making the league playoffs should mean something. If the tourney were only 4 or 6 teams you wouldn't have much chance of an under .500 team getting an autobid.

In fact, I'm on record as saying that I'd prefer to give the autobid to the RS winner since that's a better judge of conference champ than a tourney. (Please, let's not have that argument again.)

Lets just say I am resigned to the fact that an autobid could go to a sub .500 team but an at large bid should not.

Date: March 16, 2008 11:12PM

KeithK
PAthologicalLynah
I would greatly prefer that the league tournaments didn't let everyone in. Making the league playoffs should mean something. If the tourney were only 4 or 6 teams you wouldn't have much chance of an under .500 team getting an autobid.

In fact, I'm on record as saying that I'd prefer to give the autobid to the RS winner since that's a better judge of conference champ than a tourney. (Please, let's not have that argument again.)

Lets just say I am resigned to the fact that an autobid could go to a sub .500 team but an at large bid should not.

I definitely agree about limiting the number of teams in the league tournament, if everyone makes it then the regular season games lose something.

Date: March 16, 2008 11:30PM

PAthologicalLynah
KeithK
PAthologicalLynah

I definitely agree about limiting the number of teams in the league tournament, if everyone makes it then the regular season games lose something.

So then take away our '80 ECAC. 8 beats 1,2,3.banana

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 17, 2008 01:02AM

Jim Hyla
PAthologicalLynah
KeithK
PAthologicalLynah

Yeah, but we were 8 out of 17, so at least making the playoffs meant something back then.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: March 17, 2008 01:42AM

Jim Hyla
PAthologicalLynah
KeithK
PAthologicalLynah

Yup, them's the breaks, you lose an upset every once in a while, but I still think it's worth it. By that line of thinking, all conference auto-bids are worthwhile since Holy Cross beat Minnesota once ;)

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2008 08:51AM

PAthologicalLynah
Jim Hyla
PAthologicalLynah
KeithK
PAthologicalLynah

Yup, them's the breaks, you lose an upset every once in a while, but I still think it's worth it. By that line of thinking, all conference auto-bids are worthwhile since Holy Cross beat Minnesota once ;)

Yes, you're right, they are. It's what makes this time of year fun.

Date: March 17, 2008 09:48AM

PAthologicalLynah
Also, that whole "I never said anything about Cornell" is bunk. If Cornell lost to D last weekend, you'd still be complaining about Minn.-Duluth? Yeah, right.
First off, pal, I never complained about UMD. I said no team with a below .500 record should be invited to play for the national championship--regardless of who that team is. I also made no statement about Cornell anywhere. Try reading more carefully before mouthing off.

[And, for the record, there is no way on God's earth that Cornell should be invited to play in this year's tournament. But I'm certain there are ten teams in addition to the six auto-bids that have .500 records or above that deserve that chance. And, if there weren't, they should cut the field back to twelve. I'll say it again: It's ridiculous to invite a sub-.500 team to play for the national championship.]

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2008 11:12AM

KeithK

There is a slight problem with that idea, and the WCHA is a perfect example. Unlike the ECAC, teams in the WCHA don't all play the same schedule; they play some league opponents twice and others four times. So who would be more deserving of a bid -- a team that finished high in the standings but benefitted from playing some weak foes four times, or a team that finished lower but played some heavyweights four times?

As I recall, a similar scenario to the above came up in the WCHA in the mid-90's. Colorado College won the regular-season title by a point or two but had played the two worst teams in the league four times each. They also had a weak non-conference schedule, so when they lost in the first round of the WCHA playoffs, their strength-of-schedule was so low that they wound up missing out on an NCAA bid -- despite their good record and regular-season championship.

Posted by: Jacob 03 (150.108.60.---)
Date: March 17, 2008 11:25AM

Give My Regards
Unlike the ECAC, teams in the WCHA don't all play the same schedule; they play some league opponents twice and others four times. So who would be more deserving of a bid -- a team that finished high in the standings but benefitted from playing some weak foes four times, or a team that finished lower but played some heavyweights four times?
Obviously, the answer is a convoluted system in which the WCHA teams are compared using such factors as RPI, head-to-head record, record against common opponents (which, I guess, would be the entire WCHA), record against WCHA teams in the top-half of the standings, and possibly record in the last sixteen games played. Then after a few years, we can start complaining that they should be using WCHA KRACH instead.

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: March 17, 2008 11:30AM

PAthologicalLynah
OK, I read his post wrong, my bad. It didn't make sense that you wouldn't get a bid if you won your tourney.
If you were more familiar with Keith's history, you'd know that he doesn't believe in playoffs except when they pit teams from near-exclusive leagues against one another. For example, he has been retroactively protesting the MLB playoffs ever since each league split into two divisions - and please don't ask him about the wildcard.

This might be a slight exaggeration of his actual position.

Date: March 17, 2008 11:31AM

Al DeFlorio
First off, pal ...
Do you think you could make that sound more hostile? I'm not sure I've got a handle on the depth of your outrage.

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: March 17, 2008 11:47AM

ugarte
Al DeFlorio
First off, pal ...
Do you think you could make that sound more hostile? I'm not sure I've got a handle on the depth of your outrage.

Well, it is only the 2nd time he's started an angry condescending post that way in this very thread.

Date: March 17, 2008 11:48AM

Jacob 03
Give My Regards
after a few years, we can start complaining that they should be using WCHA KRACH instead.

Is that like the ECAC KRACH?

LLLLLosers!
Date: March 17, 2008 11:57AM

I've always considered the magical .500 cutoff a psychological criterion. If there's sufficient disparity in strength of schedule, you might expect a deserving team to finish with a losing record. (There are obvious strawman examples, like if the fourth best team plays all its games against the top three.) If your way of accounting for strength of schedule is sensible (e.g., KRACH or perhaps Bayesian Bradley-Terry with a regularizing prior), an overall losing record shouldn't be an impediment to a team receiving a bid. On the other hand, the NCAA's way of jury-rigging strength of schedule together with overall record is not very reliable, and you could believe that teams might get credit for the strength of their schedule alone. (RPI drops "bad wins" from a team's rating, but does nothing about "good losses", and don't get me started about lacrosse.)

Re: LLLLLosers!
Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 17, 2008 12:16PM

jtwcornell91
and don't get me started about lacrosse.

I brought up lacrosse on a similar thread on USCHO. Amazing how all discussions become the same at this time of year.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 17, 2008 12:18PM

ugarte
If you were more familiar with Keith's history, you'd know that he doesn't believe in playoffs except when they pit teams from near-exclusive leagues against one another. For example, he has been retroactively protesting the MLB playoffs ever since each league split into two divisions - and please don't ask him about the wildcard.

This might be a slight exaggeration of his actual position.
Maybe a little. But only a little.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 17, 2008 12:32PM

Give My Regards
KeithK

There is a slight problem with that idea, and the WCHA is a perfect example. Unlike the ECAC, teams in the WCHA don't all play the same schedule; they play some league opponents twice and others four times. So who would be more deserving of a bid -- a team that finished high in the standings but benefitted from playing some weak foes four times, or a team that finished lower but played some heavyweights four times?

As I recall, a similar scenario to the above came up in the WCHA in the mid-90's. Colorado College won the regular-season title by a point or two but had played the two worst teams in the league four times each. They also had a weak non-conference schedule, so when they lost in the first round of the WCHA playoffs, their strength-of-schedule was so low that they wound up missing out on an NCAA bid -- despite their good record and regular-season championship.

The NCAA doesn't grant automatic bids to the tournament champions; the NCAA grants automatic bids to the conferences. Each conference decides how the recipient will be determined. It just happens that they have all decided their autobids will go to the tournament champions. If the WCHA feels the regular season champion is more deserving by virtue of that reasoning, they can decide at the beginning of the season that the regular season champion will get the autobid. They haven't.

See also "Colorado College Rule" and "Clarkson Rule" discussions in the archives.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: March 17, 2008 01:00PM

Beeeej
If the WCHA feels the regular season champion is more deserving by virtue of that reasoning, they can decide at the beginning of the season that the regular season champion will get the autobid. They haven't.

They instead award the regular season champion a comically oversized trophy.

Posted by: upperdeck (---.fcsnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 17, 2008 01:31PM

the leagues are better off giving the playoff champion the bye.. the best reason being what we are seeing this year. clarkson will be in and now they get at worst two teams in.. if clarkson got the bye for RS title there would be a good chance the winner this week might still not get in. they want the most teams in not the best.

Date: March 17, 2008 01:40PM

upperdeck
the leagues are better off giving the playoff champion the bye.. the best reason being what we are seeing this year. clarkson will be in and now they get at worst two teams in.. if clarkson got the bye for RS title there would be a good chance the winner this week might still not get in. they want the most teams in not the best.

(A "bye" is a very different thing from a "bid" - and it was a very big deal when the tournament was twelve teams instead of sixteen. You mean "bid.";)

Yes, absolutely, there are plenty of good reasons the conferences choose to give the autobid to the tournament winner. There just happen to be potential consequences to that choice, one of which is that the regular season champion might stay home.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: March 17, 2008 02:18PM

Beeeej
If the WCHA feels the regular season champion is more deserving by virtue of that reasoning, they can decide at the beginning of the season that the regular season champion will get the autobid. They haven't.
I don't think the fact that the bid is given to the tournament champion implies they think the tournament winner is more deserving. If the tournament winner didn't get a bid the tournament would mean much, much less. It would be more like a post-season exhibition. Since the tournaments make money for the leagues there's a great incentive to award the autobid to the winner.

They might also think that the tourney winner is most deserving. But I think that would be secondary.

Date: March 17, 2008 02:39PM

KeithK
Beeeej
I don't think the fact that the bid is given to the tournament champion implies they think the tournament winner is more deserving. If the tournament winner didn't get a bid the tournament would mean much, much less. It would be more like a post-season exhibition. Since the tournaments make money for the leagues there's a great incentive to award the autobid to the winner.

They might also think that the tourney winner is most deserving. But I think that would be secondary.

I didn't say they did, now did I? :-)

- Steve Worona

Date: March 17, 2008 03:06PM

Beeeej
KeithK
Beeeej

I didn't say they did, pal.
FYP.

Date: March 17, 2008 04:21PM

PAthologicalLynah
[Also, that whole "I never said anything about Cornell" is bunk. If Cornell lost to D last weekend, you'd still be complaining about Minn.-Duluth? Yeah, right.
Crap like this is why I'm "hostile." My point was that a sub-.500 team--any team; who cares about UMD--should not be invited to play for a national championship, and I "complained" about nothing. Disagreeing with that is anyone's right, but to write uncalled-for, snotty garbage like that quoted above based on some bizarre assumption does make me "hostile."

Sorry if you don't like it, Charles. You're likely the last one on this planet who should call someone else "hostile."

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: March 17, 2008 04:32PM

popcorn

Date: March 17, 2008 04:41PM

Al DeFlorio
Sorry if you don't like it, Charles. You're likely the last one on this planet who should call someone else "hostile."
Second to last, by my math.

Date: March 17, 2008 04:44PM

ugarte
Al DeFlorio
Jerk.

Date: March 17, 2008 05:14PM

PAthologicalLynah

To be fair to Al, yes, I think he would. One of the things I like about this forum is the win-or-lose presence of many of the regulars. Sure, this place empties out quite a bit after the final game of the season, but there's a pretty decent group here that sticks around and cares about the national scene (and trebuchets.) Al is one of them. He can be just as grumpy post-season towards other teams as he is in mid-season. :-)

Date: March 17, 2008 05:15PM

KeithK
ugarte
Al DeFlorio
Jerk.

Typical. rolleyes

Date: March 17, 2008 05:36PM

ugarte
Al DeFlorio

Actually, I'd think BRA would be particularly qualified to speak about hostility...

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2008 11:13PM

It looks like UM-Duluth is out of the NC$$ picture, but it has been replaced by Wisconsin. According to Adam Wodon's article on CHN, the Badgers could get in to the tourney with a sub .500 record, and even better, home ice due to being a regional host.

"13-14. Minnesota State, Wisconsin

In all the scenarios I can come up with, the Mavericks stay ahead of Wisconsin. So if Notre Dame stays put, that means Wisconsin is out. Minnesota State would only be bumped out if BU or Vermont wins Hockey East, and one of them will be in the final, so it's possible.

But both Wisconsin and MSU can still get in, putting seven WCHA teams in the tournament, including one that would be under .500 (Wisconsin). The committee confirmed in a conference call today that, if Wisconsin qualifies with a sub-.500 record, it will still get in the tournament. All Wisconsin needs is two Notre Dame losses and a couple of other bounces.

This would throw things into upheavel, with Wisconsin needing to host its regional. Miami or Michigan would go to Madison if they are both No. 1 seeds, but if two WCHA teams are No. 1 seeds, it makes things really problematic."

If this does happen, will the NC$$ hockey committee come up with a "Wisconsin Rule" that states that unless you win your conference's tourney/autobid, no team with an under 500 record can be eligible for an at large bid.? This seems like a "no-brainer" to me, but .... rolleyes

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login