Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Please NO USA-CZE Spoilers before YES broadcast

Posted by jtwcornell91 
Please NO USA-CZE Spoilers before YES broadcast
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---)
Date: January 02, 2003 04:47PM

YES is broadcasting the USA-Czech game tonight at 7pm Eastern. I don't know if it's live or taped, but in case it is taped I'd like to ask everyone to avoid posting the results until the YES broadcast is over.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Re: Please NO USA-CZE Spoilers before YES broadcast
Posted by: ugarte (63.94.240.---)
Date: January 02, 2003 06:54PM

According to Inside college hockey, it is live - so no worries, John.

Posted by: adamw (---)
Date: January 02, 2003 07:34PM

It's taped. Game was played at 3.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---)
Date: January 02, 2003 07:55PM

And there's a thread on USCHO discussing the results--with the score given in the topic.:-(

YES rebroadcast now over -- results ho!
Date: January 02, 2003 09:30PM

And it only gets worse tomorrow, since YES isn't broadcasting the USA-Canada game until midnight. nut

Re: YES rebroadcast now over -- results ho!
Posted by: cbuckser (---)
Date: January 02, 2003 09:56PM

I expect that the NHL Center Ice package will broadcast the USA-Canada game. But, I don't know for sure that this will be the case. I sure hope so. Anyway, you should be able to watch the game at a sports bar if you cannot wait until midnight.

Date: January 02, 2003 10:12PM

Well, I hope to be at Houston watching the UMD-RPI game, but if the weather doesn't cooperate, the sports bar option may have to be tried.

Posted by: melissa (---)
Date: January 03, 2003 06:50AM

Damn! NOpe! At least I don't think so. Game is not on my center center ice shedule this morning. doh! must i wait till midnight? guess i'll be one of the pnes watchign after checking out the results online - don't worry - no spoilers from me.

Date: January 03, 2003 07:40AM

Are you no longer in TSN territory?

Posted by: Josh '99 (207.10.33.---)
Date: January 03, 2003 08:30AM

John T. Whelan '91 wrote:

And it only gets worse tomorrow, since YES isn't broadcasting the USA-Canada game until midnight. nut
Well, it's a good thing YES picked up the rights to these games so they could tape delay them in favor of basketball. rolleyes

Posted by: jy3 (---)
Date: January 03, 2003 09:36AM

if it is the knicks i agree, if the nets sorry but the nets rule :-) nut

Posted by: Melissa'01 (---)
Date: January 03, 2003 09:41AM

yup. have been in NY since Mon and have been desparately missing TSN. Grrrr. Yesterday I was feeling quite certain that I'd be able to see today's game live at 7. Have a feeling that I would be had the czech's won. Damn YES for havign US broadcasting rights. Grrrr. Now I have to switch around my entire schedule.

Date: January 03, 2003 09:46AM

Well, if you can make it from Albany to Troy, you could go watch the RPI-UMD game while you're waiting. I'd go up there myself, but I think I might save my driving-in-the-snow for tomorrow.

Date: January 03, 2003 12:07PM

The NHL Center Ice schedule on dishnetwork.com or directtv.com has not listed any of the WJC games. As of now, my satellite dish's programming guide (Dish Network) is saying that the Finland-Russia game will be broadcast at 3pm EST on channel 547, but is not listing the Canada-USA game. I'm afraid that Melissa is right about this being a broadcasting rights issue. :-( And, I can't get YES Network. help

Does anyone know a contact person at the NHL Center Ice package to whom we can direct e-mail (or telephone) inquiries regarding WJC coverage?

Edit: The answer to my question is the following link. NHL Center Ice is one of the feedback categories.
[www.nhl.com]

Posted by: Section A (---)
Date: January 03, 2003 01:43PM

I agree about the Nets.

Also, if the USA-CAN game is broadcast on YES at midnight, this means we can all watch the OSU-Miami fiesta bowl! (I live in Ohio, thus the relevance...)

Date: January 03, 2003 02:01PM

Nobody on this board can possibly believe that the World Junior ice hockey championships would get better ratings for YES than NBA basketball, right? Right?

Posted by: Josh '99 (207.10.33.---)
Date: January 03, 2003 02:15PM

big red apple wrote:

Nobody on this board can possibly believe that the World Junior ice hockey championships would get better ratings for YES than NBA basketball, right? Right?
No, that wasn't my point. I just think it sucks that they picked up broadcast rights for these games despite not having a window to show them live.

Posted by: Melissa'01 (---)
Date: January 03, 2003 02:16PM

No - but I believe that a higher % of the people on this board will watch WJC hockey than NBA b-ball. :-D

Date: January 03, 2003 05:56PM

I doubt very much, Josh, that there was an intense bidding war over the U.S. rights to broadcast the games. Who was going to show these games live? The ABC networks couldn't even get their s*** together enough to keep MLB PLAYOFF games on a network that people realize that they receive. (Of course ABC had an agenda there also.)

Broadcast priorities
Date: January 03, 2003 06:00PM

What is it they say about the fact that bowling is more popular in the US than hockey saying more about the US than it says about hockey?

Re: Broadcast priorities
Posted by: bigred apple (---)
Date: January 04, 2003 04:24PM

I couldn't agree more, John. But until the U.S. changes, you can expect the networks to play to the tastes of the actual U.S. not the mythological hockey-mad U.S.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---)
Date: January 04, 2003 04:53PM

One mo' time:

Obscurity = quality and control.
Popularity = pablum and corporate bitchslap.

Posted by: bigred apple (---)
Date: January 04, 2003 07:20PM

Of course,

obscurity = starting to watch a hockey game at midnight
popularity = prime time airing and normal sleep cycles.

There has to be something in between.

Date: January 06, 2003 10:05AM

But what would be nice would be the ability to watch a game of this importance live on an obscure network that I needed a dish or a sports bar for. The RSNs are a step in that direction, but they also service the local NBA and NHL teams. This is why the move to YES, while good because Mom can see college etc games on her TV, is bad because they seem to have more and more mainstream sports, being from a 2- and 3-team market.

For international hockey purposes, it would be nice to get TSN/CBC added to the dish. Actually, I'm a little surprised TSN didn't carry more than they did.

Date: January 06, 2003 12:21PM

For all hockey purposes, it would be great to get TSN and CBC on the dish (despite the broadcasts of those lame CBC made-for-tv movies that end up on the Lifetime network). Not being able to see Canada's medal-round games disappointed me tremendously.

Posted by: melissa'01 (---)
Date: January 06, 2003 01:38PM

Hey. What's wrong with Lifetime? ;-)

I was also quite upset at not being able to see the game - but less
so upon learning the outcome twitch :`(

truthfuly tho - win or lose i would have loved to see those two unbeaten teams play for gold in what sounded to be an incredibly tight game, minusafew defensive breakdowns on canada's part - grrr.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login