Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

"There's a hole in your sock, Joe Grossman"

Posted by Jackson 
"There's a hole in your sock, Joe Grossman"
Posted by: Jackson (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2008 03:57PM

For whoever was at the game last night: that was easily the most original, hilarious, impromptu song that I've ever heard, at either a professional or a semi-professional sporting event.

I am so, so proud of those two hecklers in Section A that came up with that. Seriously, you guys need to come forward and accept your laudatory praise. I will eagerly yet fruitlessly attempt to emulate your greatness at a future Big Red sporting event.

Re: "There's a hole in your sock, Joe Grossman"
Posted by: scannon (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2008 04:17PM

Seconded, Section A has rocked this year.

Happy Birthday, Always look on the bright side of life, This is madness, Hole in your sock and "Cornell, Cornell" are all classics.

Posted by: evilnaturedrobot (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2008 04:47PM

All I know is that section A has consistently rocked section B's proverbial socks off during my time on the hill. =)

I would never think of standing in another section.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2008 04:49PM by evilnaturedrobot.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 01, 2008 05:45PM

evilnaturedrobot
All I know is that section A has consistently rocked section B's proverbial socks off during my time on the hill. =)

I would never think of standing in another section.

I have a difficult time enjoying any hockey game from a different perspective: goal-line extended for me.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2008 05:52PM by Scersk '97.

Posted by: BMac (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2008 10:20PM

As this is senior night, and the three of us loud fellows in Section A responsible for happy birthday (LaJollaRed), hole in your sock (LaJollaRed), always look on the bright side of life (myself and Steve), "Cornell, Cornell" (myself, Steve and LaJollaRed), and many others I can't think of are seniors, thank you. I know I really appreciate it, and I'll bet they do too. The three of us spend an inordinate amount of time coming up with some of this stuff.

Also, I hope most people enjoyed our little slide show today to Section A before the game. Mad props to the band for cheering us on. It was awesome to see the increased amount of fish from A since last year, and the way the crowd responded by firing up a full five minutes before the game.

I guess we'll get one more weekend here to show our stuff, and I guarantee we'll be on our best behavior.

On another topic, where was the vaunted and mysterious Cornell Anaphoric Society this year? We had tons of fun singing the other verses of the Alma Mater with "la la la"s, but still....

Posted by: Iwilldunkonyou (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 01, 2008 10:26PM

Yea..great "cheers".. real creative. Too bad no one outside of the your "section A" (still trying to figure out where that is, nothing really exists past B) heard you. Congratulations on your "totally rad" cheers.

Cheers at the basketball games are ten times better.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 01, 2008 10:27PM

BMac
As this is senior night, and the three of us loud fellows in Section A responsible for happy birthday (LaJollaRed), hole in your sock (LaJollaRed), always look on the bright side of life (myself and Steve), "Cornell, Cornell" (myself, Steve and LaJollaRed), and many others I can't think of are seniors, thank you. I know I really appreciate it, and I'll bet they do too. The three of us spend an inordinate amount of time coming up with some of this stuff.

Also, I hope most people enjoyed our little slide show today to Section A before the game. Mad props to the band for cheering us on. It was awesome to see the increased amount of fish from A since last year, and the way the crowd responded by firing up a full five minutes before the game.

I guess we'll get one more weekend here to show our stuff, and I guarantee we'll be on our best behavior.

On another topic, where was the vaunted and mysterious Cornell Anaphoric Society this year? We had tons of fun singing the other verses of the Alma Mater with "la la la"s, but still....

Major major props for that "Phalanx" pep talk. You and your crew continue to help make Section A the best section at Lynah (this coming from a 3 year sec. A junior). This is madness!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2008 10:30PM by imafrshmn.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.dhcp.psdn.ca.charter.com)
Date: March 01, 2008 10:27PM

Iwilldunkonyou
Yea..great "cheers".. real creative. Too bad no one outside of the your "section A" (still trying to figure out where that is, nothing really exists past B) heard you. Congratulations on your "totally rad" cheers.

Cheers at the basketball games are ten times better.

Facetimer is that you? Or is it an offspring of yours?

Date: March 01, 2008 10:29PM

Facetimer? I challenge anyone here to a Cornell Hockey Trivia Contest. Dan Lobdoa would expect nothing else from me.

(You do know who Dan Lobdoa is.. right? )

Ill await your response after you google/wikipedia him.

Posted by: djk26 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2008 10:33PM

For those of us who weren't there, can someone explain the song referenced in this thread title?

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2008 10:38PM

Iwilldunkonyou
Facetimer? I challenge anyone here to a Cornell Hockey Trivia Contest. Dan Lobdoa would expect nothing else from me.

You mean Dan Lodboa?

Posted by: sah67 (---.65.171.66.subscriber.vzavenue.net)
Date: March 01, 2008 10:41PM

Iwilldunkonyou

Do tell who Dan "Lobdoa" is...his name sure is kinda similar to Cornell legend Dan Lodboa.

Dumbass.

Posted by: Jackson (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2008 04:53AM

I'm pretty sure one of you fine folks tapped me on the head right after Greening's hat trick goal. First in 102 games or so and my hat was the first on the ice. Thanks for the heads up. My friend always talked about how he wanted to be the first to get his hat on the ice; thanks to you I kept him from realizing his dream. ;)

Luckily the cop in charge of hat affairs (this needs to be an official title) was a Sabres fan or I wouldn't have gotten that hat back.

I hope to God we see Joe Grossman during the playoff games. That'd be spectacular.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 02, 2008 10:14AM

Can someone please explain the song to the thoroughly confused?

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.moore.clarkson.edu)
Date: March 02, 2008 10:29AM

ugarte

didn't take much did it? (insert applicable emoticon here to show that I am joking)

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2008 11:25AM

Dpperk29
ugarte

didn't take much did it? (insert applicable emoticon here to show that I am joking)

In honor of the passing of WFB Jr. Quoting WFB Jr.

Insert your own Goddam emoticon!

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 02, 2008 11:42AM

Dpperk29
ugarte

I don't get it.

Posted by: LaJollaRed (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2008 11:53AM

Hi everyone--

Thank you so much for the great laughs this season. I hope we have more fun to come as the team moves into the playoffs.

The Grossman song: The backup goalie for 'Mouth had two holes in his right sock behind his leg pad. Being me, I noticed it. The song, a lá Elysiah, was this:

There's a HOLE in your sock, Joe Grossman, Joe Grossman!
There's a hole in your sock I see!!! (x2)

A note about the cheers and section A and whatnot:

As a sophomore, I was removed from the building during the Michigan State game because some schmuck threw a crumpled sandwich/newspaper at the ejected Trojan. As the cops and ushers huddled to decide what to do about it, I made eye contact with one - the universal sign of guilt, I suppose. I was taken to the rink manager's office by the police where I was berated until my friends - thank God - threatened the actual perp until he went and turned himself in to save me.

The next week, I met with the athletic department and had a long conversation about the mishap. I was assured that "these things happen" and that I wasn't on any sort of list.

However, that said, I've always been a little nervous about getting kicked out at games, and at times, it's made my Lynah experience paranoid...Everytime things get a little crazy, I'm always concerned that I'm being watched closely because of something I did not do 2.5 years ago.

As a result, I've made an extra effort this year to get over myself and be as loud as I can. BUT here's the catch (and advice to any fans from now on) You can be as loud as you want, but as long as you're not vulgar, there's very little reason to throw you out. If you've overheard us in A, you'll notice that we never cuss, we never shout racist / sexist / bawdy things...We try to be ironic and complicated...I think it gets in the goalie's head better that way!

Again, thank you to everyone in section A who's put up with some of my failed jokes. My personal favorite this year was the whole Jo(h)n sequence with the goons from that Canadian university, and "Hey ___! Don't worry! It's probably just a cold sore!"

It's been a pleasure cheering with all of you.

LET'S GO REEEEED!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 02, 2008 12:06PM

LaJollaRed
BUT here's the catch (and advice to any fans from now on) You can be as loud as you want, but as long as you're not vulgar, there's very little reason to throw you out. If you've overheard us in A, you'll notice that we never cuss, we never shout racist / sexist / bawdy things...We try to be ironic and complicated...I think it gets in the goalie's head better that way!

LaJollaRed and co. get it. Finally, someone in the student sections gets it.

Thank you for restoring my faith in the student sections.

(Except that you guys will soon be graduating. Crap.)

Posted by: PAthologicalLynah (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2008 01:34PM

Thanks for explaining it! I kinda figured the tune of the song, but was curious if he did actually have a hole in his sock, or if that was just a reference to him being a great big sieve, or some other random thing that you're doing such a great job of picking up on.

Posted by: Doug '08 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2008 02:04PM

LaJollaRed
Hi everyone--

Thank you so much for the great laughs this season. I hope we have more fun to come as the team moves into the playoffs.

The Grossman song: The backup goalie for 'Mouth had two holes in his right sock behind his leg pad. Being me, I noticed it. The song, a lá Elysiah, was this:

There's a HOLE in your sock, Joe Grossman, Joe Grossman!
There's a hole in your sock I see!!! (x2)

A note about the cheers and section A and whatnot:

As a sophomore, I was removed from the building during the Michigan State game because some schmuck threw a crumpled sandwich/newspaper at the ejected Trojan. As the cops and ushers huddled to decide what to do about it, I made eye contact with one - the universal sign of guilt, I suppose. I was taken to the rink manager's office by the police where I was berated until my friends - thank God - threatened the actual perp until he went and turned himself in to save me.

The next week, I met with the athletic department and had a long conversation about the mishap. I was assured that "these things happen" and that I wasn't on any sort of list.

However, that said, I've always been a little nervous about getting kicked out at games, and at times, it's made my Lynah experience paranoid...Everytime things get a little crazy, I'm always concerned that I'm being watched closely because of something I did not do 2.5 years ago.

As a result, I've made an extra effort this year to get over myself and be as loud as I can. BUT here's the catch (and advice to any fans from now on) You can be as loud as you want, but as long as you're not vulgar, there's very little reason to throw you out. If you've overheard us in A, you'll notice that we never cuss, we never shout racist / sexist / bawdy things...We try to be ironic and complicated...I think it gets in the goalie's head better that way!

Again, thank you to everyone in section A who's put up with some of my failed jokes. My personal favorite this year was the whole Jo(h)n sequence with the goons from that Canadian university, and "Hey ___! Don't worry! It's probably just a cold sore!"

It's been a pleasure cheering with all of you.

LET'S GO REEEEED!!!!!!!!!!

Yup, LaJollaRed is the man. Its been a pleasure going to games with you at home and on the road!

Posted by: BMac (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 02, 2008 02:06PM

Oh, man, I'm so glad you got the hat back. I was feeling real guilty that I caused you to lose it.

Thankfully, that girl came out and laid out all the hats on the bench.

I'll certainly be wearing a hat during the whole Dartmouth series... and you can bet that we'll be using our brand new sign-making abilities to call out Mr. Grossman & Co.

Posted by: Moran (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2008 02:08PM

[www.elynah.com]

Kristoph

Date: March 02, 2008 02:17PM

Proper respect ("props"?) to Section A this year.

Kristoph

Date: March 02, 2008 02:24PM

Kristoph, you better not be that punk in section B that almost got destroyed last night. You are probably friends with that loser Doug 08(nice name idiot) who thinks hes so freaking great..

Date: March 02, 2008 02:35PM

No, I am unrelation to any of those people.

Kristoph

Date: March 02, 2008 02:42PM

By the way, I-will-dunk-on-you, I do not appreciate your "empty" threads. You are a member of the Lynah's Faithful? Nope. I suggest you take your rhetorical skills elsewhere, perhaps to the Nights of the Roundtable message board!

Kristoph

Date: March 02, 2008 02:44PM

Bundesausbildungsfoerderungsgesetz
By the way, I-will-dunk-on-you, I do not appreciate your "empty" threads. You are a member of the Lynah's Faithful? Nope. I suggest you take your rhetorical skills elsewhere, perhaps to the Nights of the Roundtable message board!

Kristoph

I meant "threats"

"FYP"

Krisptoph

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2008 03:57PM

LaJollaRed
If you've overheard us in A, you'll notice that we never cuss, we never shout racist / sexist / bawdy things...We try to be ironic and complicated...I think it gets in the goalie's head better that way!
I like your style.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 03, 2008 01:18AM

Kristoph

I meant "threats"

"FYP"

Krisptoph

Du meintest auch "Knights"; ist aber schon gut. ;-)

Don't let the troll get to you, though. If you ignore them, they do eventually go away.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 03, 2008 11:05AM

Given the annual whining about "kids today" that we crotchety oldtimers do, we should also recognize that section A and B sections closed out the RS very strong. (Not a knock on anybody else -- I just spend my nights having my ears ring from the folks to our left). Originality also seems to be making a big comeback. Dunno if this is one or two ring leaders or a mass movement, but we've come a long way from hearing "Sucks!" 63 times per period. Good job, kids.

Posted by: madAgaskar07 (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 03, 2008 10:17PM

BMac

I'm not at Cornell anymore, and thus not in charge of the Anaphoric Society [not that I ever was in charge or had any affiliation with said organization, which does not exist] but from what I hear, most of the Anaphoric Society was priced/lotteried out of season tickets this year.

To answer the obvious question: Yes, 'lottery' is a verb - see usage above.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 03, 2008 11:41PM

madAgaskar07
BMac

I'm not at Cornell anymore, and thus not in charge of the Anaphoric Society [not that I ever was in charge or had any affiliation with said organization, which does not exist] but from what I hear, most of the Anaphoric Society was priced/lotteried out of season tickets this year.

That's really a shame. I wish someone had said something to one of the CAS alumni. I hear some of them still go to the games.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: BMac (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 04, 2008 01:37AM

I've already made this known to the proper people (who may or may not exist), who said they will make sure that this doesn't happen next year. Thank goodness.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2008 01:44AM

madAgaskar07
BMac

To answer the obvious question: Yes, 'lottery' is a verb - see usage above.

Since there have been more than a few posts concerning the lack of a sold out student section is it possible to lose the lottery for season tickets?

Posted by: Drew (199.43.48.---)
Date: March 04, 2008 08:08AM

Kristoph

Oh great rolleyes

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.uml.edu)
Date: March 04, 2008 01:27PM

Great to hear, unfortunately I was only able to make the UMass game earlier this year. Too bad the students hadn't hit their stride yet, but I was still impressed with the experience from Section O.

I spent two great years in A (and still find myself grabbing a seat there even for women's hockey), can't imagine wanting to be anywhere else.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login